12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2003, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     
Cool Who makes a really good Windsor 406 stroker that is bulletproof and

....has good hp and ft/lbs numbers? I am seriously contemplating putting a new engine in...not that there's anything wrong with the Cleveland presently on board. Windsors, do, however, have a better aftermarket. Essentially, I just want to find the CC group's opinions on: hp, torque, reliability and (especially) engine-builder, etc. I think this is the best forum in which to seek such info. I also have a friend with a Contmeporary on the rebuild--he is more interested in Windsors 406s than I am, if you take the element of time and schedule into consideration. Sooo, if you guys know good builders, good prices, what to avoid, what to get, or emphasize, etc. I would be foreven grateful and beholden.

PS I do offer a nice "return favors" for people who have been extremely helpful--or who have sold me cars, etc.
Apologies to Brent, if I didn't open this thread on the right forum.

Thanks,
Old 02-18-2003, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

I don't think I've heard of a 406W, but the 408W is gettting to be a popular choice.

My 408 was built by a local guy, but when I was researching a builder, I got lots of recommendations for Southern Automotive and The Engine Factory (408W page )

Pete
Old 02-18-2003, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396 long block, PROBE Forged Dished pistons 8.75 to 1 and Vic Jr. heads from Engine Factory. Tremec TKO. BDR#244 Sterling Gray/Silver stripes. 17in polished wheels, glove box and tonneau cover.
Not Ranked     

You can also check out www.coasthigh.com .
There is also a member selling a 408 stroker with everything but distributor and carb. He was asking 7k OBO.
Engine 4 Sale
GS

Last edited by got snake?; 02-18-2003 at 07:25 AM..
Old 02-18-2003, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Ooooops..righto....408

Thanks Pete. I have looked at Southern Automotive and had nice chats with Bill Parham. Some swear BY Southern, some swear AT it. One issue about having the engine built (by anyone) is the degree to which they back their product. We (I and my buddy) are looking for c. 450 hp and maybe a scoop more torque---500 ft/lbs if that's streetable. Have you had your engine dynoed? I guess we're really looking for a appreciable number of builders for comparo shopping. You've given us a good start...
Thanks again, Pete,
Old 02-18-2003, 08:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

john vermeersch at total performance in michigan or eric h at performance engineering in ross ohio, both do outstanding 408-414 custom engine builds. bill
Old 02-18-2003, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fred,

I haven't had my engine dynoed, but I plan to. So far, I've only run my engine enough to get the timing, idle, and fuel pressure set. I've got a long way to go on my build before I get my Cobra on the road. I expect to get around 450-500hp and 500 ft/lbs torque.

Before I found a local guy to build my engine, I was really leaning toward the Engine Factory. I gave them a call, and they sent me a video of their facility and production process - pretty impressive. The downside was they wanted an extra $1000 to put a roller cam in a 351W based motor. Also, they use Edelbrock heads and I really wanted AFRs.

I ended up finding a local military guy who builds engines in his garage to finance his Mustang drag car. It worked out well - I bought all the parts (so I got exactly what I wanted) and he worked with the machine shop and assembled the engine.

Pete
Old 02-18-2003, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fred, regardless of who you use for your motor, there is not much of a warranty in high hp motors. The very best thing you can do, is have them dyno and break in the motor. If there are any internal problems, you usually find out in the dyno pulls. If there is a problem at that point, its the builders problem. Once it is dyno'd and broken in, you should not have any problems provided you don't overheat it or run it low on oil. Good luck, Scott.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A-1 SPEED AND CUSTOM
Fredericksburg, VA
(540) 371-9926

DSS RACING
St. Charles, IL
630-587-1169

I'd just bolt on a supercharger though. Same cost, same effect.

No quid pro quo needed, my daily random act (must be up to 12 years ahead by now though I don't keep track).

I'd really try to find someone near you though, I'm sure there must be someplace. In case of problems or issues, localized word of mouth gets more attention.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hello Fred,

Minnesota Classics built and Dynoed and delivered for my FFR Daytona Coupe. Fuel injected , down stack system, full electrionic engine management. Don also dynoed this same engine with a carburator and distributor 509 HP @5400 RPM and 548 lb. ft of torque @ 4400 RPM....it was tested both ways.

Don stands behind his product witha 12/12 warranty.

410 cu. in.

Dyno results:

530 HP @ 5400 RPM
563 lb.ft. torque @ 4400 RPM

Call Don Scott at 1 888 722 6272

Tony R.

Last edited by Tony Ripepi; 02-18-2003 at 12:25 PM..
Old 02-18-2003, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow thats a gorgeous set-up. How much did that set you back if you dont mind me asking?
Old 02-18-2003, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default My thanks to ALL OF YOU

Pete, GS, Bill, Scott, Sizzler, Tony and any others throwing in..Tony, I was going to send my "retort" to your beautiful garage FULL of Cobras (? what's up? 4 Cobras?) with my home-built 8x16 shelter for the ex-Jamo car (anothyer one of my self-deprecatory beauts, believe me). The photo guy is delayed (blizzard of '03) and I need my sister to help me post stuff! (being a pongoid Luddite---actually just go to my Gallery--everything's self explanatory).
Old 02-18-2003, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony - WOW! Nice engine! It's going to be a shame to cover that up with a hood. Maybe you should put plexiglass window in the hood, like the new Ferrari.

Pete
Old 02-18-2003, 01:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hello Fred and BP450...

I have two cobras now.... one is my Unique with a stroked 427.... and the DVSF FFR Coupe that is under construction in Ohio. Don delivered the engine there two weeks ago. I have owned four Cobras total : Shell Valley 302/T-5, SPF 460/Tremec and now these two. Pictures of the Unique...nicknamed "Junior" are in my gallery...don't ask about the nickname.

I'll let Don respond to how much to build a similar engine to mine but, the carburated version was quoted at 8500.00 complete with alternator, pulleys, AC compressor, brackets, belts, wiring and dynoed. The engine management sytem..Electromotive TEC 3 and the downstacks, billet fuel rails and intake was an additional $6000. Both configurations carry Dons 12/12 warranty. My engine complete as you see it was $16,500.

Miinnesota classics engine pricing compared favorably with Engine factory, Ford crate motors ( when you get everything up and on) and several other vendors I looked at. The internals...rods, crank, heads etc. were all top shelf components.

The details are in another thread: 530 HP 516 lb. ft. of torque

BTW I like your gallery....how much for the Cat ?????

Tony R.

Last edited by Tony Ripepi; 02-18-2003 at 01:11 PM..
Old 02-18-2003, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Ooooops..righto....408

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Douglass

I have looked at Southern Automotive and had nice chats with Bill Parham. Some swear BY Southern, some swear AT it.
Fred, can you elaborate? I'm planning on having SA build my small block, and I've heard nothing but rave reviews for SA and their products. I've also visited them twice and they are super nice folks. If there is a problem I'd like to know the history before I throw down my cheese.

Thanks, Jim
Old 02-18-2003, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stay away from coast high. most of what they do is S**t work. try Flatlander racing , keith Craft. seen too many of Coast's F**k ups. Big blocks and small blocks right here in Tx. All on SPF cars.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,
It was a long time ago on a similar post. Someone was railoing about not having any luck with getting SA to back their product...he lunched his engine, I guess and wanted Bill to cover. I agree with you Parham seems top-drawer. I was leaninf troward Craft for a Dart-based 427 and Bill for a Cleveland power-up. May still go with that. but Windsors have great appeal to me.

Keep in contact.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:48 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink When quality and courteous service matter!

One of the best engine builders that I've met is Eric Hinderberger at Performance Engineering in Ross, Ohio. Eric has a proven track record as not only a funny car drag racer but as a quality engine builder. He has the ability to engine AND chassis dyno everything from aluminum small blocks to the wild and exotic 700+hp bullitt proof big blocks. He's built 2 engines for me, a 427 side oiler for my brother and another big block Chevy for my brother's street rod. He quarantees everything he builds and is one of the most conscientious individuals I've ever encountered. Give him a call at 1-513-738-5001 and check out his "engines" on his new website at: perfeng.cc
You won't be disappointed.

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."

Last edited by Dan Semko; 02-18-2003 at 07:58 PM..
Old 02-18-2003, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have to agree with Mr. Semko, Performance Engineering in Ohio is awesome! They build engines that are super powerful and very reliable...
Old 02-18-2003, 11:24 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bandit,
Mr. Semko was my father, I'm Dan, the nice brother verses the roudy brother Dave, who also lurks about this site!
Hope to run into you sometime while visiting Dynamic. Our second SPF is scheduled for arrival the first week in March and Eric is building an "Eric Brown" special stroked 418.

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 02-19-2003, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 427 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I second JBAIRD's suggestion to stay away from Coast High Performance...My dealings with them were very unpleasurable to say the least...