28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2003, 07:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     
Talking Do you give a 2nd chance to make a first impression?

So, my wifes' sister came over to our house yesterday with her new boyfriend. Now, keep in mind, these aren't young kids. She is 34, he's about 40 or 41. He has already heard from my sister-in-law that I have a Cobra. One of the first things he asks me is: "Is that one of those cars built on the Corvair or VW Beetle chassis? I've heard about those."

No exaggeration. He actually said Corvair and Beetle as what he thought my car was rebodied on.

I had to look at him a few seconds to see if he was kidding or serious. I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he is totally unaware of these cars (as most people are).

Otherwise, he seems to be a really nice guy. But do you forgive such a sin?

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.

Last edited by klayfish; 03-17-2003 at 07:31 AM..
Old 03-17-2003, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Absoultely NO!!

Shoot them both!!

TURK
Old 03-17-2003, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Sure, take it as an opportunity to educate! First lesson, take him for a ride, say a 0-100-0 ride.

Who is John Galt?
Old 03-17-2003, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

There are so many un-informed people out there. This is why the
auto repair industry exists. What you don't know will cost ya!!
Old 03-17-2003, 08:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I bet it was an honest question/response from a guy who is clueless about cars in general. I bet if you ran a "poll" using the "general public" and referenced "kit" or "conversion" cars you would get a high percentage of folks mentioning VW. They were the popular conversion car for years and years. I was shocked to find that some folks do in fact use the VW chassis for Cobra "conversions" even today (in which case, Turk is onto something).

Concerning first impressions: I read an article/ research paper some years ago about "first impressions". It said in general, they were pretty accurate, which surprised me. Seems that in most cases your first impression, that "gut feeeling" is in fact very close to reality. If your instinct says, "I'm not sure I like this guy", or whatever it is unlikely that will change over time.

There were exceptions to the rule. I think this guy deserves a second chance because he was probably speaking out of pure ignorance. But............they sure got off on the wrong foot!

Ernie
Old 03-17-2003, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Give the guy some air and a second chance. What was he driving?
Old 03-17-2003, 08:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Klayfish ,

I hear wedding bells , first qualification for a brother in law ; do or say something stupid every time you walk into a room
Old 03-17-2003, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

I'm with Pete. Educate him with the loud peddle. That'll help bring some of our reality to his little world. I've got three sisters, so I know where you're coming from. So he doesn't know cars, if he takes good care of Sissy, I think you'll say that he's ok. If he doesn't, there is always the missing persons list.

Boudy
Old 03-17-2003, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B+B 351w #112
Not Ranked     

Most of the uninformed people I meet all ask what kind of frame its on. They are all surprised to find out its a custom made frame. They all think its just a rebody. I try to be nice to them but some I just can't . I was once asked when I will get a real car! I think his ears were bleeding by the time I was finished with him. I'm usually a nice guy just don't piss me off. Ask my boss at work, he's afraid of me!!! Jim
Old 03-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default educate first

I agree that the first tact is to educate, both in background and then in the passenger seat. THEN if the guy is insufferable, suffer him no more.

Most people don't have the background you guys have, nor the lifelong affection for these wonderful cars. But most people do understand beauty and performance, so a little education will go a long way...

My two cents.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Obviously (at least I hope), my original post was made very "tongue in cheek". I was dead serious about what his questions were, but I agree that most people are totally uneducated about these cars. I didn't take offense, in fact I tried not to laugh. My wife had this horrified look on her face. He asked the question in all sincerity and meant no harm by it. As I said, he's actually quite a nice guy, and if he is good to my sister-in-law, that's all that matters.
I really did want to take him out in the car, floor the gas pedal and say "NOW do you think it's a VW?!?!" But I didn't want to bring him back in the house with a new deposit in the back of his pants. (OK, the real truth was that there were two cars blocking the garage and I didn't feel like moving them). Next time I see him, I'll be sure to "educate" him.

He actually was driving a brand new Infinity G35 sedan, so he has good taste in cars. Just ignorant to the Cobra. He'll learn quick enough if he decides to stick around the family.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

I've had a number of people ask what sort of frame I used for my Cobra ... one of these days I'm going to start asking what sort of frame they think it is.

Who is John Galt?
Old 03-17-2003, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

I still say "shoot first" educate later!

TURK
Old 03-17-2003, 11:43 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Ran into them myself

SOOOOO many people have the impression that every kit car is a re-bodied something. Perhaps a factor as to why many of us don't like the term 'kit car' used with our cars. The public in general is ignorant to what they are looking at.

Have a good laugh. Put him in the passenger seat with a roll of toilet paper. Scare the **** out of him. Then educate.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 03-17-2003, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

A brother-in-law is someone you're going to have to be around for a few years. Make him feel like an idiot now and you've invested in years of pleasure during the holidays.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

I'm with Turk.. just think what he's doing with your sister.. I say shoot him!!!
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 03-17-2003, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

I've given a few rides to close friends and
one good friend noticed I say the same thing every time, don't grab the windshield, don't lean on the door, watch your leg and buckle up.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

My brother-in-law is 18, love cars and trucks, and has no clue. He helps me with maintenance on our cars to get educated. He didn't have much of an auto education since his dad died before he was a teen and had no male influence for a while.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3243. 5.0 (for now), 5-spd.
Not Ranked     

I have attended several car shows anually and I believe that the question of what chassis it is built on qualifies as the third most asked question in Cobra Realm.

I would always take the time to describe the purpose built chassis and try to educate the individual on the modern replica cars as opposed to the early kit cars that did attach to VW floor pans.

Most of the time the discussion was appreciated.

There are always some who want to try to start out on common ground, so they make a comment similar to the one about the VW and Corvair.

The rest is up to the individual. Does he really care about your car? Is he just making conversation to please his new squeeze? Is he really in the dark?

Give him the chance to show that if he really knew you, (and may be something about cars) he would know better than to even ask that kind of question.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Listen up people!!!

427 S/0,,,,yeah I can relate to the little "talk" you give passengers. My son got SO tired of hearing it, I just go into "recorder" mode when we approach the car.

"DAD, I KNOW, you've only told me a hundred times!"

HE never burned his leg. Me? Heck I STILL got scars! Some people just don't listen........

Ernie