28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2003, 03:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ruble;

That's the little blue slab side I saw also...... My car was parked near the front road (four lane) facing towards the interstate in the far right hand corner kinda between the 2 white original GT-350's...... Parked about 2pm friday and it stayed there thru saturday. I was in and out most of the time looking at other cars and the swap meet. Saturday morning I was around most of the time and my car was one of the first to be jusdged at noon when they started... Afterwards we were having a little BBQ in the mall lot under the trees and I stayed there for a couple of hours to get out of the sun....We pulled out sunday morning about 8:30 am to head home....

One of the judges told me they ususally get 40 to 60 cars from the two nearby airbases,but those guys had deployed overseas for the war and that was one reason for the lack of cars....Only about 150 registered when they expected from 225 to 275... Also a lot of mustangs in the mall parking lot maybe 50 ar so including the only Boss 9 there that did not even register,go figure....

Only saw a black w/ red stipe across the hood and fenders cruise by saturday.... Where did you park your car and what time were you there????

That little blue slab side was kinda "rough" but sure was pretty,I was very surprised at how little attention it drew.... I have found at most MCA meets Cobra's draw very little attenion,maybe they are just all into Mustangs,I do not know... Looked for the owner of the slab side but never found him....

David

Last edited by DAVID GAGNARD; 03-24-2003 at 03:22 PM..
Old 03-24-2003, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

I parked in the Sears auto store parking lot near where the cars for sale was. If you look at the picture of the blue slabside my car is way back behind the tree you see in the background. The Black Cobra with a Red Stripe must have been Terry Key who lives about 5 miles out from me in Milton. He has a Unique 289FIA with a 351 Cleveland. The car is a work of art with all the detailing he did.

Do you have a picture of your car to remind me what it may have looked like?

Last edited by aumoore; 03-24-2003 at 03:53 PM..
Old 03-24-2003, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I never thought about all the troups not attending the car show but with Pensacola being the Naval Air Training center and Eglin AFB being so close I can understand.

God Bless our Troups and let this get over soon.

As for Michael Moore the director I would not take a leak on him if he was on fire! I have never liked anything he did and I am ashamed to share the same last name with him. I hope to god we are not related in any way.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:38 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

As I have a keen eye and can spot the slightest of deviations in correct shape, stance, smell etc, etc. I don't need to refer to the following simple easy to follow, fool proof, non-destructive method.

If the hood is up you feel under the inside lip by the engine bay or under the upper lip on either door. If the edges are molded. Its a replica.

If the edges evidence material rolled over onto tubing and riveted (a subject dear to my heart) to the tubing theres a one in 3 chance its original. The other two possibilities are that its a Kirkham or a new CSX. To rule the latter two out ask the owner.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ah Ha!!
Time to start gluing razor blades inder the hood and in the door jams on my Cobra.

"Um excuse me, but would you please stop bleeding all over my car"

--Mike
Old 03-24-2003, 05:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Evan ,

I have to agree with you , there is no way to tell the difference between a new CSX and a Kirkham.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ruble;

Have no clue who Micheal Moore is,I talked with Shorty Brown who I was told was the head man in charge of this show and I also dealt with Donny Carlisle,these two guys went out of their way to accomodate us in a couple of ways. We needed to leave sunday morning and one judge told me the awards were at noon sunday and if we left before,too bad.... I talked to both Shorty and Donny and asked if we could at least find out sunday morning if we placed,they both agreed to that and when they opened at 8 am,they told us two out of our three cars had placed. I asked if it would be possible to get out plaques early as we had to leave,they said they usually do not do this but made an exception for us and gave us both plaques immediately so we could leave. Shorty even told me they would also annoounce our names at the awards ceremony. I thanked them for their help and we got our plaques and headed home. Overall,I think they did a very good job, the event was run very smoothly with no problems and the security both day and nite was excellent..... Saturday nite about 8pm,I went back to my car to get a camera out of the glove box,one cop met me as I entered the grounds and asked me if he could be of assitance,told him I needed my camera,he walked me to and from my car and was very polite,I slept better that nite knowing we had that good of securtiy for the cars....

Again, I never heard of or dealt with Micheal Moore so I'll just trust your opinion on that one,hell if I go back I'll kick him in the shin for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got a flyer,actually about a dozen during the show,about an up coming car show in Pace,your home town I think???? Will not make it though,just thoght I'd remind you of it.....

Next time,we"ll have to get together or something,would have loved to met you and seen your car....

BTW, my car was in the same lot as the blue slab side,just opposite end kinda cat-a-corner from it....

David
Old 03-24-2003, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

KobraKarl:

Very easy to tell a Kirkham and CSX apart: $20,000 more for the CSX.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 03-24-2003, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Your correct jeff, but you have to admit the Kirkham replica and the csx 4000 replicas look most like the real thing!!

If you can't afford what you want to buy, pick up a book and learn how to make it.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There weren't that many Original 427 SC W/427 made.
If they changed the 428 to a 427, changed the rear fender lip, added a roll bar, side pipes.
Those Cobras are now REPLICAS!!!!!
They should have left them only, at least then they would have had an Original not a Replica!!!!!!

As for the 5 ways to tell an Original from a replica.
1) look at the frame (round frame only)
2) inside door panel (metal framing)
3) lights (should not have DOT markings)
4) dashboard (3 cut outs on top of dash panel for frame)
5) radiator angle
If all is good.
Ask to see the engine and look at the vin plate!

Last edited by Rich A; 03-25-2003 at 12:37 AM..
Old 03-25-2003, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     

Rich, every 427 S/C had a 427 in it. As far as 428's go, From looking at the registry, it looks like only about 100 or so were 428 cars. I may be wrong on the number, but that is closer to 1/3 of cars being 428 equipped. What does your information say?
Old 03-25-2003, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David
You must not get news in Louisiana by TV or Radio or you would have heard of Mr. Moore's comments during one of the many awards shows they have for the Movie crowd. He used his time on the podieum to blast the president and our troups. I was just venting when I put it into this forum. I in no way was referring to anyone at the Stang show.

You need to turn on a TV or something
Old 03-25-2003, 06:37 AM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     
Default Related?

Ruble,
As I recall someone at Dan Wulf's Cobra Bash, mentioed something about you being related to another Moore in the movie business; we all assumed it to be Michael Moore last Sunday night.
BTW - He REALY PI$$ED me off too. I'm not against anyone speaking their mind, but there is a time and place and this wasn't either.
Now come to think of it, could it have been Dudley Moore?
TL
Old 03-25-2003, 08:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Special k,

Every S/C did NOT come with a 427. the race chassis were sitting emty when the decision was made to create the S/C, and they used whatever engines(427/428) were available as they were sold off. however there is no documentation to this exept a few remaining invoices.
many of the cars exchanged the 428 for a 427 at a later date. I dont think any one really knows the original mix.

karl
Old 03-25-2003, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     

I've never heard that Karl. Has anyone else?
Old 03-25-2003, 10:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kris,,,That was my understanding of the "mix" of 428/427 enigines also. I "heard" some cars went out "listed" as a 427 but in fact did have the 428.

Would be nice to get some hard facts on the numbers and the rumors.

Ernie
Old 03-25-2003, 11:11 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Clever guys. This should be the Cobra Comedy site.

Old 03-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ruble;

We do have tv and radio down here in the swamps of Louisiana,I just don't watch much tv,usually only the local news at nite,just not enough hours in the day for me to get everything done....Some day hopefully in the next 5 years or so I hope to retire or at least semi-retire and then I may have time to watch the tube...... I did hear about someone at the awards show running his mouth,but did not pay much attention to who it was,what the actors have to say about politics doesn't interest me at all since most know nothing about what they are protesting anyway.....

Found out last nite that a close friend and high school classmate of mine has a son over there. He was only three tents down form the tents that got fragged and the 13 guys were hurt and one killed.... His mom and dad or basket cases right now. His last news sent home was that their unit (mechanized) was going to follow the 101 headed for Bagdad..... I say a little prayer for him and all our military people over there every nite....Hope it helps....

If you could tell me how to post pics here,I have a couple of pics from the car show I'd like to post,just can't seem to get them up....Any help on that would be nice,from time to time,I'd like to post a picture......

BTW,if I ever run into that Moore fellow,I'll still kick him in the shin and then the rear end as he turns away for you!!!!!!!!!!

David
Old 03-25-2003, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 2401 street 289 Cobra and CSX 3288 Street "427" Cobra
Not Ranked     

According to the Shelby Registry, All the S/C cars had 427 engines. 52 Competition Cobras were made, 2 prototypes and 50 production cars.16 were sold as full-comp cars. The 34 unsold cars were a problem and a Shelby employee came up with the idea of the "Semi-competition" model. Before they were all finished that way, three more full-comp cars were ordered, so only 31 427 S/C's were made. Those cars, full-comp and S/C were serial numbers 3001-3055 and they all had 427 engines. The next 100 Cobras, CSX 3101-3200, also had 427 engines. Due to supply problems and a less costly engine( the 427 engines cost Shelby a whopping $720, vs. the 428 which cost $320!!!!), 428 engines were installed in ~CSX3201-3299, with some exceptions. The car was still advertised as a "427 Cobra" on the brochure, but it listed the engine as a 428 in the specs. See this link for the brochure.Click on "view full image" at the bottom of the page to be able to read the details of the brochure. http://members5.clubphoto.com/_cgi-b...tem_id=3434115
The last 60 cars, CSX3300-3360 were all 427's except for CSX 3300,3301,3305,3306.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Jim.

Ernie