28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2003, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Cobras, unsafe at any speed

Wow, 3weeks ,3wrecks. Why are these cars SO unsafe? How much is insurance for one of thes cars?
Old 05-08-2003, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

It's not the cars - it's the operators. Intoxicated by the sound and g forces.

Randy
Old 05-08-2003, 03:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Mr. Bruce...I agree...

...with Randy 100%. At the age of 58, and with a few hairy incidents in my own vehicular past, I find myself being more careful BY FAR in the Cobra than in the truck! I really feel that I got this car at the RIGHT age (for me). I know myself well enough to know that it might not have been the best thing, were I to have bought a Cobra at age 30, let's say! One thing I do is "explore" the handling/road-holding limits by solo autox-ing on huge vacant parking lots. It's sorta a race between low oil pressure and front/rear end washout. I was amazed how easy these cars are to "catch"---also amazed how neutral the mid-engine Butler is---most grip-loss reads out as expanding radius and minor wheel-correction stuff. I intend to take a hi-perf. driving course ASAP---and hopefully pick the brains of people like Pat B., Cranky, et al if they're at DVSF III.
Good luck to all and commiserations to the unfortunate and unwary.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With a short wheelbase, lots of power, and lots of engine drag, these cars require skill, experience and attention.

And smooooothnessss.

Most people are not used to the quick transition between power-oversteer and trailing throttle oversteer when you back off the throttle quickly. Ya' just can't do that with grace. A big-block car with 450 bhp is not what I would describe as toss-able.

Having experience on the race track, at 9/10 speed, is good precedence for driving one of these cars at 3/10 on the street.

Be careful out there.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by Bob Putnam; 05-08-2003 at 08:29 AM..
Old 05-08-2003, 06:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Bob-
How much extra to have you guys install training wheels for the first year?

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."

Last edited by Chaplin; 05-08-2003 at 08:29 AM..
Old 05-08-2003, 08:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chaplin,

No problem. You want the optional pillow-under-the-throttle-pedal option.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 05-08-2003, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think folks underestimate the skill needed to safely operate a car with 400+ HP in a package that weighs less than a Ford Focus.

Of course, everyone is above average in driving ability and thinks they can handle it.

These threads on accidents have been very useful to me -- I've been actively researching Cobras for some time and getting closer to a purchase.

But, in light of these events, and the fact I haven't driven a high-horsepower car in years, I'm going to put a Cobra on hold for several more.

I think I'll start with something more docile, like a SVT Lightning or an older muscle car.

It's a good idea to remember the quote from Lord Acton to Bishop Mandell Creighton in 1887: "Power tends to
corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
Old 05-08-2003, 08:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob ,you are right on with you comment obout "oversteer".the first week i had the car I went from power oversteer to trailing throttle oversteer in a quick micro second ... THAT got my attention. I went out and bought a couple books on race technique just to try and get a better idea what was going on. No doubt had I been going faster or the road narrower I would at least have ditched it..These types of conditions are going to be unknown to most of us , having never owned a car like it before.

KK
Old 05-08-2003, 08:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Bob-
That would be great- extra firm please

Karl-
What books did you buy and were they helpful? (I guess I should read them b/c I have no idea what you and Bob are talking about )

Mike

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 05-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I know myself well enough to realize,,,,,,,I would be my own worst enemy with fire breathing 427. I get in enough trouble with my little 302. I actually drive SLOWER on the street in my Cobra than I do in my regular car, not sure why, but it's something I've noticed I thought was kind of strange.

On the track? I'm a terror!!!! I thrash the heck out of it. Have spun out a bunch of times, hit the dirt, scared myself and broken plenty parts!! Up-graded the brakes, tires, suspension and now I NEED some more horses. But I think 400 or so will do it.......

Ernie
Old 05-08-2003, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Ernie, I'm with you on the slower in a Cobra than my commute car (most of the time). If there is any traffic I'm too busy dodging the idots than trying to drive quickly.

As a comparison: what is the accident rate for middle-aged guys buying their first Harley?

Who is John Galt?
Old 05-08-2003, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Excaliber,
Honesty with yourself is what makes you safe. Where do you race on the Islands?
Old 05-08-2003, 10:13 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Does anyone know if Southern Automotive will build a 170 HP 427 sideoiler?
Old 05-08-2003, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do you think you will be safer with just 170 hp?

A true Gashole
Old 05-08-2003, 10:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Safety

To put things in to perspective for myself as I'm driving, I try to remember that Cobras on the street are about as safe as a motorcycle - except you are not wearing a helmet in the Cobra on the street.

To me, high horsepower + short wheelbase + marginal tires + minimal respect = trouble when put in to the hands of a person who does not understand the limits of these cars. This combined with "accidents happen sometimes" makes it much less safe than today's cars with airbags and re-enforced and crush-safe structures. So, we all need to remember to keep it on the safe side as much as possible. I keep telling myself....

Last edited by decooney; 05-08-2003 at 10:44 AM..
Old 05-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Send a message via AIM to Tinker51
Not Ranked     
Angry Testosterone on the brain

I should be the one who does stupid stuff. I have a 475 HP superformance, in my mid 30's and no wife/kids. But I am here to tell you, I drive this car like my Grandmother (actually that is not a good comparison, she passed me on highway 5 once like I was standing still ) I have a huge amount of respect for the power this car has and more importantly I am not out to impress anyone. I have lost count the number of time people have pulled up to me and wanted to race and I have only had the car for three months. I just let them go. I know there are damn few cars that could beat me but the street is no place to prove it. If I was interested I would take it to the drags/track under controlled conditions with proper safety equipment and where nobody else is put in danger, but I don't care how fast it is. All I care about is that I just enjoy the ride. So I say to all of you, you know your car is probably the quickest thing on the road, don't get goaded into doing something stupid and you get to go home at the end of the day. Ok, stepping down from the soap box now. G'day
Old 05-08-2003, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 427 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Sisk

It's a good idea to remember the quote from Lord Acton to Bishop Mandell Creighton in 1887: "Power tends to
corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." [/b]

Mike - Actually, Lord Acton's famous dictum "power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely" (Historical Essays and Studies, 1907) is not an original thought at all but his expression of it is the most frequently quoted, or in your case, misquoted. It was actually Protagoras' idea origionally then later developed further by his pupil Plato (427 BC). Acton used it as a political commentary...

http://phrases.shu.ac.uk/meanings/22900.html

Get your own material man...As far as Cobras being unsafe - they're only as unsafe as the moron behind the wheel...You gotta learn to walk before ya can run - forgot who said that one

Last edited by agro1; 05-08-2003 at 12:47 PM..
Old 05-08-2003, 12:55 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     

427 bc Very Interesting
Old 05-08-2003, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 427 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Hmmmmmmm
Old 05-08-2003, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I too had experiences early on in my Cobra ownership that made me respect the car/engine. I thought I was pretty good coming out of a Viper - BIG mistake! Going 50 mph down 4-lane road and punched it to pass and squeeze by two cars (stupid - and this was in front of the Ferrari dealership - Stupideeerrr!) I found myself sideways at 50 - lucky me and everyone around me it ended up uneventful! Straight line acceleration at the drag strip - thats all. I have two kids (4 & 7-months) I'm 32 with a beautiful wife - why spoil it with foolish decisions. That goes for the rest of you guys out there as well. If I die in car accident its because someone else screwed up.

Tony Hull
aka "Cracker"