14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2003, 07:35 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Manny: My experience has been pretty good with owners of original cars. Not that I've met and talk to a alot of them about 4000 cars but the ones I have have been very accepting of the car and very nice and down to earth.

Do they see it as a "replica" of a '65 Cobra. Yes. Because it is. No argument here. But the ones I have had informal chats with acknowledge the CSX 4000 as a REAL Cobra but of the Continuation series.

The originals clearly belong on a different level than the Continuation cars by virtue of (1) thier being of the original series (2) their rarity. Because of this they are more desirable, especially to the collector. They are the originals of the breed. No doubt.

The last conversation I had with an owner of an original was up at HRE when I was up there last year to pick up my car after its winter "spa" treatment. He owned an origianl 427SC which was black on black. He had sold it about a year prior and just purchased a new Porsche Turbo. He was considering the purchase of Continuation series Cobra since he found he missed the old one. He was in amazement how my car was an identical clone of his car in every detail. He was of the opinion that the new Continuation cars were every much a Cobra as the originals. Different series though.

Are there owners of originals that would knock the new CSX Continuation Cobras as fakes? I guess there are. But they would be wrong also. Just because you own an original doesn't make your word worth more than or cancel out the facts. Any such owner who would put an original down as a "fake" Cobra, in my opinion clearly has his own obvious axe to grind. I would happily debate it with any original owner.

Original Cobras are original Cobras. Continuation Cobras are Continuation Cobras. Its just that simple.

Are they separated at SAAC events. Yes. Should they be? Yes, especially when you wish to highlight and pay respect to the originals. They deserve it.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ah HA!!!! So that guy really did think the FFR was worth 70K!!!

,,,,,,amazing! Validates the heck out of this thread!

Ernie
Old 05-22-2003, 08:14 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Moto: Have you riden the new KTM 525. It supposed to have a mongo motor. Probably great for out west by you. Too much for the eastern woods here though.

Bob: Is the 525 a monster or what! I'd love to ride one but its too much motor for the woods back here in the east. Great for out west. Most of the A and AA guys stick to the 450 EXC back here in the east. Hey, if the 450 is good enough for Lafferty its good enough for me! Its got near 520 power but friendlier.

I love two strokes, rode em' for years and raced em' for years here in the east in enduros in the ECEA. But I gotta say the new four strokes rock! My 450EXC has power everywhere and torque up the ying yang. In power and quickness its the equivlent of my 300 EXC but much easier to ride, torquier, more tractable in the snotty stuff and (very important), its much quieter. I find it doesn't tire you out as fast as the two strokes. Doesn't weigh much more either. Amazing because its a four stroke. It is nice just to gas and go. The electric start is magic too.

Geez, I remember the day my friend showed up at my door in Va. on a brand new Elsinore 125. That was the hot ticket! What a bike!

Remember the Honda CT 70! A friend had one when I got my mini enduro.

How about the Hodaka 125 Combat Wombat?

The slowest trail bike/dirt bike ever produced: the 1975 Honda SL 125. Remember the Dirt Bike article on it. The picture on the article cover was a 125SL in a pig pen with some pigs. You knew right then they toasted it! Those guys were hysterical.

The best was when my parents suprised me with my first bike in 1972. A Yamaha JT 60 Mini Enduro. Orange with a yellow stripe. Some things you remember forever. Used to leave from our house with friends and trail ride from morning to night.

Ah. Those were the days. I miss them.

Last edited by REAL 1; 05-22-2003 at 08:22 PM..
Old 05-22-2003, 08:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by REAL 1

Lets shoot the breeze on off road riding in the lounge. I'll start a thread this weekend.
Evan...
just a reminder... keep your promise.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:24 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I said I would start the subject in the lounge this WEEKEND!

I didn't break my promise.

Ok, Ok. Fine.

Move my last post to the lounge.

Last edited by REAL 1; 05-22-2003 at 08:38 PM..
Old 05-22-2003, 09:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

I still have a 74 Elsinore 250 (among others). It's in my parents garage where it's been for years since they built warehouses where I used to ride

This is the thread about motocross isn't it?

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 05-22-2003, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, 2002 Corvette Z06, 2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible
Not Ranked     

Evan,
We gotta' talk sometime.

Yeah, the 525 is quite the rocket. As I said, faster than any CR500 I've ever ridden. Maybe not in raw top end HP, but with tons of torque that translates into massive traction. I've always ridden 2 strokes until my '93 LC4 came along when I started riding alot of Baja. Our rides would be about 175-200 miles/day for 3-4 days. You definitely need a nice rider-friendly bike and the 4 stroke is the only way to go. All the 2 stroke guys with us were dogged tired half way thru each day. The LC4 was all low end torque and could rip out tree trunks, but the 525SX is a screamer on top...almost scary at times. The SX is just a 4 speed, but it will still do over 80mph. I plan on putting in the 5th and 6th real soon. You can literally ride around all day using just 2nd and 3rd gear.

I have two other friends with 525 KTM's; one with an EXC and the other with and EXC and an MXC. BIG, BIG difference between the EXC/MXC and the SX. While the EXC's are set up to have a smoother hit for the tight work, the SX is set up to have a much bigger punch for moto work with a different carb and ignition...plus it weighs about 20 lbs less. The 450's are really ideal for most riders because it is a "just-right" kind of power, where the 525SX is like having a 427s/o with nitrous for us older guys who weigh more than the average guy. It's quite often a liability and can get you in trouble because all it wants to do is wheelie. (It's a blast to grab a handfull in any gear and at any speed and do wheelies for as long as you want.)

Your first choice for the slowest dirt bike was right, but remember the Honda MT125's? Supposed to be a street clone of the CR125, but it was a dog. Those '73 CR125's put and end to the Penton 125's real quick, didn't they?! (if for no other reason than you could shift the CR without missing every other shift like the Penton's)How about those old CZ125's? They had a 49 lb. flywheel on them and would take forever to rev.

I rode a red '73 250 coffin tank CZ until 1975, then got a '75 Ossa Phantom. Lightest 250 ever produced; 198 lbs out of the box. I bought two more of them in '76 and '78 while working at Mid-Valley. We could make those things scream. I used to ride one in the 250 class, then hop on the other one and race against the open class guys and still get holeshots. Pissed off the guys on the Maicos. Kenny Zahrt rode a 250 Ossa with a bored cylinder (260cc) in the 500 Nationals and at Mammoth Mountain and could holeshot those too back in '76. Only bike that I ever got to ride that really scared me was a factory '78 400 KTM that we set up for Marty Moates. Faster than the old 501 Maicos! Moates is the only guy that could ride that animal back then.