Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2003, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to DanElam Send a message via AIM to DanElam
Not Ranked     
Default LMAO: Cobra bashing

Guys, after this latest round with FFR and SAI I am going to speak up. The stuff that goes on this board of brand X vs. brand Y is just a scream to those of us who don't take this stuff too seriously. It's nothing new to the automotive world, but it is still funny. The same thing gets repeated in the Ferrari, Viper, Vette, etc. boards. It's the same for planes, boats, and even horses

Look, if you've got an original 196X 289 or 427 car, that is great. I love seeing these vintage cars and think they are wonderful historical treats. Do I want one? No, because I couldn't bear the thought of taking a rare car like that and play the way I like to. (I could run Vintage, but that isn't real racing to me and the show stuff bores me. But everyone has their own preferences.) I've watched Tom Hilfiger play with a $7M vintage Ferrari: how can you run it at the limits if you are afraid of wiping out history? It's sort of like taking a Picasso to the elementary school - you can do it, but is it worth the risk of the world losing something special?

As for the replicas - and I am including the SAI cars - they are just that. They look good. They sound good. They are fun to drive. Shoot - most of them are flat out better/safer cars than any of the originals. They would be fun cars today even if there wasn't a historical connection. The SAI cars get a 'Shelby' badge, but they aren't any different. ('Real 1', you are a scream: the real owners of original cars don't consider yours any more 'real' than you consider a FFR or Superformance car.)

For some, the bashing is a way to validate their own decisions. I sort of equate it to prejudice: we make up reasons put others down because it makes us feel better. It's a common theme whether it be race, geographic birth, religion, or car choices.

Look, I race a Factory Five car. I wasn't one that was going to buy a Cobra so I have a certain amount of detachment. I am not the kind of guy to build a kit. I bought the car, in part, because of NASA and the race series. I bought it, in part, because of the performance and because it is similar to the other things I drive (Viper, Tiger). If Superformance had a series, I would have considered that. SAI had a series, but it was mostly play stuff, not real racing and didn't appear to be sustainable. (Good call!)

Since I bought the car, I have certainly come to appreciate some things about the car (like that frame that protected me at VIR), but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate other cars as well. My buddy a few houses away bought a Superformance: they are wonderful cars if you don't want to build one. I have seen ERA cars at the track that embody lust on wheels. I have happily pointed to SAI for guys who want to be part of the 'Shelby Fraternity'. And I have seen a gorgeous black FFR car from Oregon that is one of the nicest cars I have seen in the world. Manufacturers stay in business because they appeal to different segments of the market. A lot of FFR guys like to build and like the reliability that comes from simplicity. Others don't want to waste (my term) their time building a car when they can write a check to buy a Superformance car. Others want to be associated with a group of others who call their cars 'real'. No problem. All of these companies will survive as they cater to their niche. The whole Cobra industry is probably less than $25M/yr so we are really talking about splitting hairs.

So have fun. Use the internet to blast each other. As you do so, you sure remind those of lurking that this is a great country where one of the most pressing things is to argue over their replica of cars built nearly 40 years ago. No matter what, you guys manage to provide some hilarious entertainment!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Assolutely.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kudos to Dan for maintaining perspective.

I might be pretty laid back too if I had a Viper and a Cobra.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan,
My camera is bigger than your camera

Seriously, good post. Should be required reading in Cobra 101.

Cheers
Jim

Last edited by Jim Colman; 05-19-2003 at 12:55 PM..
Old 05-19-2003, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Well put Dan.....
Old 05-19-2003, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yup. I didn't buy an FFR because I couldn't afford anything else, I bought one because that's what I decided fit my needs best, and I don't perceive value how "real" my car is or not.

It doesn't bother me that having a "real" car is important to others. I think a SAI replica will certainly retain or increase its value better than my FFR, but I don't really care about that either. Someone more interested in owning a "collector" car would be, and that's fine by me.

Believe me, not all FFR owners are frothing at the mouth for a "real" Cobra. Most aren't. Sorry.

The SAIs are very nice cars, just not for me. I'm as happy with my FFR as anyone else is with their car, whether that be SAI, Kirkham, ERA, Hunter, or any of the other fine manufacturers out there.

Categorizing FFR owners as wanna-be "real" Cobra owners isn't fair, nor is it accurate.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Heck it's everywhere, this mine is bigger better than yours syndrome, LOL.

I was thinking of getting an ultra-light. In researching it I soon discovered there seems to be some kind of "rift" between "fixed wing" ultra lights and "parachute style" ultra light owners!

You know what? I just blew them BOTH off. I don't want to be discussing THAT issue with my a$$ literally hanging in the air, LOL.

Ernie
Old 05-19-2003, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, Ford 428 SCJ
Not Ranked     

I couldn't have said it better Dan (and I've tried ).

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

There are replicas and there are kit-cars.
Replicas have original style everything, the frame, drivetrain ,suspension, etc. See a SAI or Kirkham for a good example.
Kit cars look like a replica, but are very different. They borrow drivetrain and suspension pieces from other cars like mustangs, thunderbirds mustang II's and such. Neither are "real" as that term for the most part connotes "built in the 60"s" but lets not pretend that there are not huge differences.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #821,Southern Automotive 427 Side Oiler w/2x4
Not Ranked     

Guys enough. Didn't this get throttled to death in a previous post. Mines a 'copy' and I'm proud to leave the Superformance decal on the windshield. You can cut the engine at 60 MPH no rattles no squeeks just a nice ride.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     

AMEN

I'VE GOT A HOT ROD WITH A FIBERGLASS COBRA STYLE BODY!!!
AND I LOVE TO DRIVE IT!!
Old 05-19-2003, 04:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Aw Dan....trying to bring reason to this argument just when it was getting fun again! It amazes me that SO many people take this stuff SO seriously!!! My poor old EM has been running strong for almost 18 years....and I wouldn't change a thing. But it's
still fun to sit back and watch 'em go at each other like somebody insulted mom!
Old 05-19-2003, 04:54 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Good post.

No I wouldn't expect some of the owners of original Cobras would consider my continuatin Cobra a REAL Cobra. Those elitest snobs!

Their wrong too!

The way I see it I've got the best of both worlds. I've got a replica of a Cobra that is a Cobra!

Last edited by REAL 1; 05-19-2003 at 04:57 PM..
Old 05-19-2003, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Well, it was a nice try Dan.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Yeah. Nice try Dan.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Dan,

Great post...

and you're correct about the entertainment value of these types of threads...
Old 05-19-2003, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR #3478, 351W W/ a Big Ol' Vortech
Not Ranked     

Evan, add "Prick" to the list of your names.

Dan, well said.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ozona ,

I tried to give evan the "little prick" moniker a couple years ago, but he said no thanks , he already had one.....

KK
Old 05-19-2003, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by KobraKarl

Ozona ,

I tried to give evan the "little prick" moniker a couple years ago, but he said no thanks , he already had one.....

KK
Old 05-19-2003, 07:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

,,,,,,,,,,,that is funny! Sorry Evan,,,it was a "real" good joke!

Oinie