Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2003, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Opinion

As I have said before I am looking into purchasing a cobra kit. I have been looking at a few manufactureres. I know that ERA, Superformance are pretty high end kits. I was wondering about lonestar or JBL. Are these manufactuerers well known and put out a good product?
Old 06-28-2003, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

I am biased of course, but Lone Star builds a very nice Cobra kit. Great people to work with too.

The Jbl is more go-cart than cobra. Would make an awesome track car.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:44 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

I received my Lone Star 4/12/02 as a turnkey.

I have been 100% pleased with it. If I were to do it again, I
would .

The customer support after the sale is very impressive !
FORD,GM,etc. could learn from them.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Lonestar is a low to mid pack quality car that has an extended wheelbase and uses a Live Axle(mustang 8.8 or 9" Ford) with Mustang II type front suspension. Other cars that are similar are the Classic Roadster (96" wb). I would say the A&C, B&B and FFR are in a similar price range and use similar suspensions. The midstates and Shell Valley are similar but maybe a little more expensive.

The JBL is a very Hi-Tech chassis with a modified Cobra Body slipped over the chassis. This is for the guy that likes a race type suspension and is not looking to replicate a Cobra.

If you want a IRS type car you need to step up to the folowing
High end: ERA, Shelby & Superformance(everyone knows these)

Mid Pack: Unique(very good value), Hunter(low cost for quality components) , EM(if they get back in business) Backdraft(great alternative to the guy who wants a Superformance but can live with a few minor detail changes for a $10k savings) or a FFR IRS(great handling car but has a few quirks in the body like perky butt and non lined hood and trunk)

Low end
Street Beasts(just based on their past life as C&C or whatever they called themselves. The cars are actually pretty good if you ever get one with all the parts)

That is about all the ones I have laid my hands on or researched myself

Disclaimer
All opinions are mine and others may differ.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

aumoore ,

I noticed you didn't say a word about Hunter. Where would you place Hunter? I know where I would...

BTW there are NO mustang II parts on my car, and except for the engine block and crankshaft (need to be pre-emission here in TX to avoid emission testing) all parts are brand new. If I wanted an IRS they would be more than happy to sell me a Mustang Cobra R IRS adapted to their chassis.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:05 PM
289 FIA Fan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking A Little Defensive Aren't We?

Ft. Worth Cobra,

Read the post before you get too defensive:

"Mid Pack: Unique(very good value), Hunter(low cost for quality components) , EM(if they get back in business) Backdraft(great alternative to the guy who wants a Superformance but can live with a few minor detail changes for a $10k savings) or a FFR IRS(great handling car but has a few quirks in the body like perky butt and non lined hood and trunk)"

Dave Lowell
Old 06-28-2003, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would also place Midstates and Shell Valley high up in the Midgrade grouping.

Cheers
Jim
Old 06-29-2003, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Greetings Thorin

I missed the part about Hunter. Nine hours in the Texas heat working on the car will do that to you...

Just trying to set the record straight. And yes, I do get a bit defensive when someone is making statements of fact (the little "opinion" disclaimer don't mean nothing) when they obviously don't know what they are talking about.

This is the one that really gets me:
Street Beasts(just based on their past life as C&C or whatever they called themselves. The cars are actually pretty
good

STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM STREET BEASTS !!!!!

Last edited by CowtownCobra; 06-29-2003 at 05:06 AM..
Old 06-29-2003, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Go to Cobracountry.com for an UNBIASED opinion.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Hi Dave, (cowtowncobra)

A go-cart tyically does not have suspension. Go-carts rely on chassis flex to maintain proper tire geometry.

The JBL has a fairly stiff chassis that allows the suspension to ultilize proper camber curves and the resulting dynamics.

Therefore, the JBL does not truly qualify as a go-cart. (It would be nice if the JBL was as fast as a shifter cart, but no way.)

Aumoore,

The JBL body actually is not a modified Cobra body. It was made from my CAD lofting drawings. (It really would have been easier and cheaper to modify a existing body!!!)

The point was to make a roadster that captured the essense of the Cobra era/Roadster shape.

In other words, if I had been the designer for AC in those days, the JBL is what it would have looked like.

(My taste has always been somewhat suspect.)

Also, please note: The JBL is not a replica!!!!!!!!

It is a JBL!

In other words, it is real.

Richard Hudgins

Last edited by Richard Hudgins; 06-29-2003 at 07:43 PM..
Old 06-29-2003, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Richard,

Your suspension is a work of art, looking at pictures of it is better than,,,,,,well, almost. I'm glad to see someone thinking "outside the box".