Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2003, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft Racing Cobras

I have been looking at the backdraft Cobra replicas. what is everyones take on this cobra replica? Doeas anyone have a Backdraft cobra? tell me what your feelings are toward this car. is it worth buying?
Old 07-02-2003, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On paper it looks nice. I don't care for the skinny rear fenders myself, but $26k looks like a great price for a complete turnkey sans drivetrain with all new parts. Especially with IRS, leather, stainless exhaust/rollbar/engine compartment, Halibrand replicas, wipers, and powder coated frame. Their website doesn't mention a few components that could add up to a couple thousand. Hopefully some owners will chime in.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to flanker
Not Ranked     

Hi, I own BDR #8 and am a big advocate of the Backdraft line. I don't know what you mean by "skinny fenders?" the rear of the car is wide enough to take an 11' rim. the car and the company are great. what would you like to know? i am always happy to talk about my car and the owners check out the forum frequently.

If you haven't seen the car up close, i know that there will be several different colors at the Reptile Roundup in Nov.

Also call Reg at Backdraft, he is a great guy and always willing and able to explain anything you want to know about the car

Forever Bitten
Frank H
Old 07-02-2003, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry, no offense intended! The rear fenders appear to have less than average flare to me, and I like 'em flared.

Did you add any components to your car beyond drivetrain and the standard $25,900 roller?
Old 07-02-2003, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to flanker
Not Ranked     

the only options i got on the car were the chrome quick jacks, the full soft top (lots of rain in Miami) and upgraded to the 17" wheels. other than that the car comes very complete.

Forever Bitten
Frank H
Old 07-02-2003, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

I have always enjoyed the handling of BMW's. I am most impressed by the smooth transitions into and out of four wheel drifts. I am curious if this quality has passed on the the Backdraft cars. Do any of you owners drive hard enough to answer this question?

Paul
Old 07-02-2003, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft # 91, Black w/White stripes and Red Rookie's, 302 w/AFR 185's.
Not Ranked     

I have built 2 Classic Roadsters and have money down for a third.....until I ordered a Backdraft last week. This car has gobs of potential...the BMW suspension is what sold me. The car isn't due till mid October.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We race them all the time(well, every time we get a chance anyway) at autoX's, and open road courses throughout Florida. The handling is just what you'd expect from a finely tuned BMW and then some. I really enjoy my BDR and can't say enough good things about it and the owner of the company, Reg.
You can not beat the price anywhere for what you get. The quality, workmenship, fit and finish is just incredible. Well worth it!!!
I LOVE MY BDR #5 Cobra

CobraDoc
Old 07-02-2003, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Engineer Man,
I am sure you would not be disappointed in your choice!
I agree with Doc & Flanker 100%.

I also think the engine Bay is top shelf. Nice clean appearence.

Good job Roger! Trust us, it is well worth the wait!

Bud
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2003, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gave it to Russ
Not Ranked     

I received my Backdraft about a month ago. It is a very nice car all in all. I may be the exception but there are a few things I was not happy with. When I received the car I noticed a lot of adhesive showing around the rear trunk seal. I ultimately ended up having to remove the trunk seal and spend roughly 3 hours with solvent to remove this adhesive and then reapply the seal. The Dash is not attached very solid. It is screwed in on the ends but just rests on some fiberglass in the center section. The fiberglass it rests on is not long enough and sometimes the dash will fall back under the fiberglass and becomes very loose and sloppy looking. This was easily fixed by drilling a screw through the dash and the fiberglass stop. The fuel tank is leaking fuel at the fitting where the fuel pump takes suction. The windshield washer reservoir cracked and leaked all the washer fluid out and blew into the engine compartment while driving. I only have 200 miles on my car as of now. The last but my most dissatisfying complaint is the paint finish on this car is not the greatest. Granted, to most it looks awsome and I am pretty anal, just ask Rogers ( a couple posts up). But it is cloudy in spots and even has different textures throughout the car. There was body shop dust in alot of not real noticeable areas but it was there. One more item and maybe you guys with Backdraft cars could answer this, where the exhaust pipes exit, the motor when torqued is making the pipes hit the fiberglass and I'm afraid it will crack it if I don't do something soon? Anybody have a resolve for this? That is one more item that should be looked at by Backdraft, making the outlets larger so this won't be a problem. I am very happy with my car. As some of you know I owned an FFR that I wrecked prior to this and is basically what I'm comparing it to. The BDR is an all around nicer car but I had less to complain about on my FFR.
I definitely recommend the BDR to all who are interested. Everything I have listed here is pretty damn minor, but could easily have been taken care of prior to my receiving the car. Reg Dodd is quite helpful and a very good person to deal with, honest and fair.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2003, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Hello: My name is Robert of Hi-Per Rods and I am the Texas dealer for Backdraft Racing. I second most of the commentary but would like to add a little of my own.

SSS: Nope, there isn't a couple thousand in add-ons. $25,900 gets it all. Tranny mount, cooling lines, sending units, motor mounts, it's all there.

Nuke: The dash issue you mentioned has been taken care of.

The exhaust holes come out of the mold small and are cut with an air saw after motor is installed. 302 and 351 vary about an inch so instead of boring a monsterous hole one size fits all, the factory molds them small. I trim them 1/2 inch around the pipes. The air saw won't damage the paint edge aroung the hole, it cuts clean.

Contact Reg, he'll get you a tank shipped ASAP. Sorry to hear about that.

Do you need a new fuel cell or is there a fitting issue?

There are a few cars that had some paint imperfections, mainly due to growing pains. Sorry to hear that yours was one of them. However, the factory has made adjustments to handle the new volume of cars. Talk to Reg on the paint, we want you to be happy with your car.

I have also cleaned the glue on a couple trunk rims. I'll check to see if it has been addressed at the factory.

Thanks for the input. Backdraft is growing rapidly and customer input is greatly appreciated.

I haven't worked out delivery details with Rogers' car yet so I may or may-not be in your neighborhood soon. However, if there's anything I can do for you, please let me know.

EngineerMan: Buy one!!! You won't find another that drives and handles as well. No surprizes, $25,900 is the real deal. Attention to detail, paint & finish, quality, it's all there. I've got one going into Fresno soon, maybe you could get a look-see on that one if you like.

Thanks,

Boudy

Last edited by Boudy; 07-03-2003 at 06:46 AM..
Old 07-02-2003, 11:28 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

Boudy, what are the engine options for your cars?
Old 07-02-2003, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gave it to Russ
Not Ranked     

Boudy, the fuel leak I have is very minor and it is leaking around the fitting. As soon as I run some more gas out I will drain the tank and replace/fix the leaking fitting. I would like to add to my earlier post, minus the issues I stated above the car has an awsome fit and finish and does not feel/drive like a component car. If I needed to replace it I would buy another BDR. I'm just stating the facts of what issues I had with my car. Which I was VERY surprised b/c I hadn't heard one single negative about them.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Nuke: Wow, I'm glad to know you don't need a new fuel cell. I think you've got one of the new stainless ones. One good thing about our cars is that Reg is the owner and the Florida dealer. That way, he completes cars in the field and any changes needed get immediate attention at the factory. Sorry, didn't mean to be so long winded earlier.

BTW: I don't know if Rogers has given you the rundown, but holy cow, he has one nice car on the way.

Brent: We offer any small block combination and an FE option. No extra cost, we'll just provide different headers and motor mounts. The small blocks are preffered because the cars handle so beautifully with them. Even a Winsor will change the way it manipulates the race track. (hope that's what you were asking)

Boudy
Old 07-03-2003, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Dealers

Are there any backdraft dealers in california?

Boudy is there any way that I can contact you to talk more about the backdraft cobra?
Old 07-03-2003, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, not yet.

Shoot me an email: Robert@Hi-PerRods.com

Boudy
Old 07-03-2003, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Mestizo
Not Ranked     

Hey Engineerman,
I recently decided to go with a BDR because when you combine all the factors - the look, structural design, options, fit and finish and the drivability of the car - I found the BDR to represent the best value overall. What you get for more money is not that much more and what you get for less is a lot less.
That's how I got sold anyway.
Happy Hunting!
Old 07-03-2003, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Engineerman,
I am a new owner of a BDR Cobra! I have looked for a cobra for ten years or more before I was able to get one. Married with kids, the needs of many out weigh the needs of the one..

I wanted a Everett-Morrison but the day I was going to put down a deposit Bruce would not take it due to their restructureing.
So I looked at all options,
And found DBR and met Reg, He is building a great car!
My car is not on the road yet but I am close,
I am finishing the motor, trans myself with the help of Reg,
I have a 302 from ford motor sports, alum gt40 heads Edelbrock airgap intake. no carb yet. but soon.
Tremec 5 speed
Tires P315/35 ZR 17 rear P245/45 ZR 17 front (skinny fenders? I don't think so!)
SS exhaust
Driver and passanger roll bars with harness

I have looked and driven a lot of kits, FFR,Superformance,etc. and after driving one of Reg's BDR cobra I was hooked and now I got one!!
I could not be happer with the car. (well once its running I will be)

Matt
Old 07-03-2003, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Mestizo
Not Ranked     

Hey CobraDoc,
If you're still following this thread can you tell me how to get involved in some autox or racing action in the s.florida area? Is the Deep South Cobra Club active down here, or is there another group that gets together to organize things? I plan to go over to Moroso to the test and tune events. What tracks do you guys go to the most often?
Thanks.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

I looked at the back draft as well,,and it seems to be a good buy,,I wouldnt consider it because of the lengthened wheelbase,a cobra is 90 inches,end of story.It blows my mind that kit mfgs still do this ,I mean an spf or lots of others are as comfy as it gets.
I know I will catch flack for this,but i still say a NON donor ffr is the best car for any money,{engineering wise}second would be spf ,partially because of resale,I mean when you look at the money an spf or nice ffr brings compared to all the others,it is a no brainer,money talks, there has to be a reason these cars bring more.my 2 cents,,tk

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "