21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2003, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

THE EVENT IS A DONE DEAL... Jeff and I PAID FOR THE TRACK TODAY....

I want to thank everyone for the interest, so far.

we are still hoping to have about 25 more registration forms by the date...... Aug 30/31.

Friday or Saturday, i will post a summary of the cars that are registered SO FAR.

AGAIN, THANKS...

HOPE TO SEE ALL 4000 of you there.

Earl and JEFF
Old 07-28-2003, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Raceral. It is impossible to get more than one Lola running at a time as they are British cars. One to drive while the other is in the shop.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I promised a list of the folks that have registered... SO FAR,,

We are looking for about 30 or 40 more...

HERE IS THE HEAD COUNT TOTOALS SO FAR. FFR 20, SPF 7, Mustang 5, Unique 2, Corvette 1, Shell Valley 1, FFR coupe 1, Backdraft racing 1, Porsche 1, WXR 1

STATE BREAKDOWN.... NC 17, VA 8, SC 7, FL 3, GA 2, LA 1, OH 1.

Im expecting more FFRs, A lot more SPFs, more mustangs, more corvettes, and more other cobra brands.

HERE THEY ARE, so far... A very Varied LIST..

Doug,Smith,va,spf
Herb,Smith,va,spf
John,Phillips,Jupiter ,fl,ffr
Dexter,Green,Winston-Salem ,nc,ffr
Rick,Burnstin,Greenville,sc,ffr
Bob,Wilks, Columbia,sc,FFR
Darrell,Hayes,Raleigh,nc,SPF
David,Eastman,Martinez,ga,FFR
Buzz,Reynolds ,N Wilks ,nc,ffr
Travis,Grabb,Apex ,nc,ffr
Will,Sadler ,Salisbury ,nc,Mustang
Alan,Crews,Danville,va,ffr
David,Mashburn,Concord,nc,zo6
Sean,Moore,Gastonia,nc,ffr
Blair,Cloudis,Randleman,nc,unique
Greg,Warden,Norfolk,va,ffr
Patrick,Fore,Blair ,va,
Rick,Williams,Spartanburg,sc,ffr
David,Bartlett,Warner Robbins,ga,shell valley
Paul,Brannon,Chappells,sc,ffr
Chistopher,Land,Weddington,nc,mustang
Michael,Land,Weddington,nc,spf
Ralph,Button,Franklinton,nc,ffr
Chester,Littlefield,Lutz,fl,backdraft
Rick,Brownyard,Mt. Pleasant,sc,porsche944
Behzad,Vaquer,Charlotte,nc,FFR
Keith ,McFarland,Camden ,sc,Unique
Doug,Smith,Leesburg,va,spf
Herb,Smith,Leesburg,va,spf
Jim,Pomeroy,Bradenton ,fl,mustang
Zach,West/ Jim West,Simpsonville,sc,
Wade,Chamberlain,Warrenton,va,ffr
Jim,Thomas,New Albany,oh,ffr
John,Knight,High Point,nc,ffr
Earl, Groce, Advance, nc FFR
Jeff, Collins, Greensboro, nc FFR COUPE
PROMISED>>>>>>
Kelly,Harkey,Winston-Salem,nc,ffr
Jerry,Canty,Winston-Salem,nc,Mustang
wxr,Jerry canty WXR buddy,Winston-Salem,NC,WXR
must,Jerry canty mustang bud,winston-salem,nc,nc
EJ and wife, LA, FFR
Tom Monroe, Hickory NC Unique
Guy Thacker, Greensboro, nc, Mustang
Old 07-29-2003, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just wanted to post a reminder about the COBRA OPEN TRACK EVENT at Carolina Motorsports Park, Kershaw, SC August 30-31. In the last two weeks, we have had a resounding response to the event.

Our intent is to have a full field of cobras, cobra replicas and cars that are compatible on the track with Cobras. To date we have signed up about 30 cobras and 10 non-cobras. Our goal is about 80-90 total cars. We have always thought it would be GREAT to have about 30 Factory Fives, about 30 Superformance and about 30 other Cobras and non-cobras.

We have done a very good job of notifying the cobra community and are going to be expanding our advertising this week to the Mustang and Corvette communities.

We hope you will review the linked information/Registration form, fill it out, send it in and JOIN US AT KERSHAW, August 30/31. After all, FUN is the reason to have these cars, and an open track event is as much fun as you can legally have with your clothes on . And you just may gain some driving skills as a bonus .

http://www.rbutton.net/Registration%...all%202003.pdf : Click on this link to down load our two page registration/general information form:

If you are unable to down load the form above, email me at egroce@mindspring.com and I will email you a word document version.

Hope to see you there.

Earl Groce, aka CobraEarl, CobraEarl's FFR Accessories.
Jeff Collins, Whitby Motorcars, Inc.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have had the Executive Inn highly reccommened by Dan Elam...

They have very reasonable rates and are not caught up in the Darlington Race price Jack UP. 803-475-7575.

The motel is actually in Kershaw, 4 miles north of the track.

1 king sized bed, 1 or 2 occupants... 48.60 total
2 queen beds. 1 or 2 occupants... 54.00 total
3 occupants 59.40 total
4 occupants 64.80 total

MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM you are running at the Carolina Motor Sports Park.

They have plenty of rooms, for now.

The other place a lot of us are staying is.... camping at the track.!!!

earl
Old 07-31-2003, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Beware of ants in your pants. There are lots of ants at racetrack pit areas for some reason. They must be car enthusiasts.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Four more SPF's from Memphis...

There's four of us coming from the Memphis area....Ron Frohs, Brian Sullivan, Richard Price, and myself, all SPF owners. We plan on arriving on Thursday evening...staying at the Executive Inn....and then unloading and driving the Cobras up to Charlotte Friday AM...coming back to Kershaw Friday afternoon.

Registration forms are in the mail....I'll call one of the sponsors to make sure there's room for us...!

Lookin' forward to it!
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 08-11-2003 at 09:01 AM..
Old 08-11-2003, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: Four more SPF's from Memphis...

Quote:
Originally posted by Flyin_Freddie

There's four of us coming from the Memphis area....Ron Frohs, Brian Sullivan, Richard Price, and myself, all SPF owners. We plan on arriving on Thursday evening...staying at the Executive Inn....and then unloading and driving the Cobras up to Charlotte Friday AM...coming back to Kershaw Friday afternoon.

Registration forms are in the mail....I'll call one of the sponsors to make sure there's room for us...!

Lookin' forward to it!
There are still some openings left.. SO, COME ON DOWN..

about the ants.. Its a South Carolina thing.

earl
Old 08-12-2003, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Everyone that has registered, todate, has a registration confirmation package in the mail.

If you have not registered yet, we will mail you your package when we get the registration.

we are only sending the package to registered drivers... not the volunteers.

look forward to seeing you there.

PS, we are not full YET. but we do have enough for a GREAT EVENT.

SOOOOOO, down load that registration form and get it in ...

earl
Old 08-15-2003, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

there seems to be a little confusion on the car number issue.

If you have numbers (MEATBALLS), BRING THEM. bring the numbers you wrote on your entry form.

If you need numbers, we are ordering numbers for those that paid for them.

We are also gonna get a few extras to have them to sell.

earl
Old 08-15-2003, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

THE SPFs are ROLLING IN in the registrations.

Not sure of the head count YET, but if all the Spfs come that have called and said they are, they are going to come close to passing the # of FFRs that have registered.

COME ON SPFS....

COME ON FFRS.....

Come on Corvettes... ( two zo6's are headed our way.)

COME ON MUSTANG COBRAS.... Several mustang cobras are headed our way and some other cars....

We have 5 full Instructors coming and some volunteer instructors. So we should all be able to get some instructor time.

I believe before the dust settles, there will be over 60 drivers signed up... A very comfortable number for a track of THAT SIZE.

Its not to late, down load the form and COME ON DOWN.

earl
Old 08-22-2003, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

we have 56 drivers, so far. 20 ffrs, 15 spfs, 2 uniques, 1 shell valley, 1 back draft, some cobra and non cobra mustangs, and a half dozen chebies plus some other misc cars. All rear wheel drive and all fast.

FFRs that are planning to be there include one Coupe, one spec racer, 18 roadsters and the pace car will probably be the laguna spider..

SPfs include one S-1 about 14 roadsters, including Dennis Olthoffs Run and Gun green/blue monster.

We are still looking for a dozen or more folks to register... Its gonna be a great weekend.

If you want to come and observe, we need you to down load the registration form and volunteer. We will put you in the best seat in the house for a 2 hour shift as a corner worker... from there, you can see it all.

If you decide late to drop by, or even register to run, we will have registration forms AT THE TRACK.

earl
Old 08-22-2003, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Talking Yeeeeee-haaaaaaaaa!

I am so looking forward to this...! Put on my warpaint this week...checked out the underside of SPF#770...had to replace a tranny mount that had pulled apart....bled the brakes, topped up SWF...checked out wheel bearing play, etc....car appears ready to go. Completed the driver's portion of the tech inspection form.

Will be preloading trailer this weekend...jack, jackstands....already loaded in lawnchairs and the grill....need to top up the air tank....load up tools - safety wire & pliers, etc. since we'll be changing tires friday nite....not my idea of fun in a hotel parking lot, but necessary this trip.... Next week will begin makeing sure mobile bar is fully stocked and ready to roll... Plan on leaving early Thursday AM and starting the party when we get there. We'll be there to welcome participants in to the hotel. Parrrrrr-tay......
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We have passed 60 registered Drivers.... Heading for 70.

IT IS NOT TOO LATE to register. Down load the form, and FAX IT TO 336-274-4418.

If you decide friday nite to come, you can register at the track. JUST BE THERE BEFORE 8:00 AM for the MANDATORY DRIVERS MEETING.

Come on down... we have some more slots waiting.

HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THERE.

Still looking for Volunteers for Saturday and ESPECIALLY SUNDAY. We need several there each morning at 8:00 for the drivers meeting. If we have enough Volunteers, NO DRIVERS will have to pull corner worker duty.

EARL
Old 09-01-2003, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

THANK YOU CLUB COBRA for making this thread a Sticky Note Post... It was great of you to help us generate the interest in the event. 99.9% of our "advertising" of this event was done on the forums and the internet .. could have not done it with out your help.

I want to PERSONALLY say THANKS to all the VOLUNTEER WORKERS it was YOU that made this event a success.

It was people JUST LIKE Phillip Deal and Tom Smith that came, Camped all weekend and Volunteered.. I guess you guys pulled four 2.3 hour stints as corner workers. AND Phillip AND KAYE took care of getting the TEE SHIRTS picked up and DELIVERED to the track.

And Scott and Carla Wydra Picked Barrowed 75 traffic Cones and delivered them to the track and picked them up when the event was over and took them home to where ever they barrowed them. AND SCOTT AND CARLA with some timely help from some others put on a TERRIFIC FEED for the Volunteer Appreciation Supper.

And Greg and Gerri Warden Barrowed Cones for us to use because we did not know that Scott and Carla was going to come through. And Gerri helped anywhere she was needed. She was a great corner worker.

AND Leah Nix worked ALL WEEKEND from 5:00 Friday nite until the last person left, as Volunteer Coordinator.

AND BUZZ Reynolds Stepped up the plate and supervised the Tech Inspection area with the help of several guys, John Phillips, Greg Warden, Gary Groce (my brother) Jon Felton, Wade Chamberlain and others, I cant remember, cause they took care of it... Jeff and I were a quarter of a mile away in the Registration booth.

AND Ralph Button worked behind the scenes on computer problems.

AND Jon Felton did a GREAT JOB as Track Marshall.

AND DOZENS of VOLUNTEERS came and went all weekend and gladly pulled one, two, four and even more stints in the best seat in the house.... THE CORNER WORKER SHED. We only had a few experienced corner workers, NOW we have a HOST of experienced folks. One guy, stayed out ALL day Saturday. We had one young college student from UNCC help in the corners. My CPA came up with his son and they both were right there doing what ever needed don. My best friend from home came down and helpd on Sunday.

My Wife Juanita and Jeff's Wife Suzy and thier two girls were all over the place, doing what ever needed to be done. and taking care of registration on Saturday Morning.

And Ben Ramsey stepped up to the plate with radios for the event.

AND JEFF COLLINS LEARNED HOW TO SEW Especially for this event... HE GETS THE BETSY ROSS AWARD for making the 40 + flags we used.

And GUY, John , Barry from Whitby Motors were there doing what ever needed done. AND GUY DID NOT WRECK THE PACE CAR!!!!!!

AND our 6 Volunteer Instructors.... I hope everyone that wanted instruction Got it... THANKS GUYS

TURNS OUT THAT NO DRIVERS HAD TO WORK AS A CORNER WORKER. That was one of our EVENT GOALS.!!

I know ive left out some folks that deserve Special MENTION... THERE WERE SO MANY and My Memory is SOOOOOO BAD.

And GREG WARDEN GETS THE FARMER AWARD... for doing the most PLOWING over the weekend ... FLYING FREDDY RICE get the award for the LONGEST SKID and the Dirtyist Laundry Award for his TREMENDOUS EFFORT on the back stretch.

I want to thank the Superformance guys for their support. It was great to see Bob Olthoff Sunday Afternoon with their GEORGEOUS SPF COUPE. Thanks GUYS.

I want to thank the CORVETTE z06s that put on such a show on sunday TRYING to run down that FFR Spec Racer . And the Mustang guys, THANKS.. All the cars were great, and they were all well matched. And all the drivers were great gentlemen on the track, (except for the ladies )

No one got Hurt.
No one Broke anything Serious.
There may be some flat spotted tires, there may be some brakes that need new pads, there may be a couple of disgusting Laundry bills, but all in all all the equipment and drivers got home in one piece...

Jeff and I are very happy to have sponsored this event.

AND, a special THANKS to the Man in Charge of THE WEATHER. It was hot, but only about 90, and low humidity, always a nice breeze and some clouds, and NO RAIN at the Track.. even though a Nice thunder storm went west of us Saturday night to give us a Fire Works display while we ate. And Saturday SOME KICK ASS storms were about 60 miles to the north. FOR KERSHAW, FOR AUGUST, THe weather was WONDERFUL.

AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO JEFF COLLINS, who, while being as Car Crazy as I am, lent Credibility to the event and worked his ASS OFF for about a month, planning, scheduling, sewing, getting meat balls, etc, etc, etc, etc,. With out jeff's help and mature judgement and financial backing, this event could have never have happened. Jeff also broke his butt all weekend. THANKS JEFF.

A friend of mine says "you cannot throw the same Party Twice". SO next time we will have a bigger party, bigger crowd and a LARGER TIME.

Any one want to do it again??

Earl
Old 09-01-2003, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427SC - Ford 408ci Windsor
Send a message via AIM to czarsmith
Not Ranked     

This was one damned good event. Pretty much everything went off as advertised and I think that everyone had a great time. Lots of track time - not crowded and well run. I could do this again... and again... When (not if) you do another one sign me up!

Video and photos will be posted shortly....

Thanks again!

Herb Smith
SPF
Leesburg, VA
Superformance #1062
408ci Windsor
Old 09-01-2003, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

I could not make the event, but knowing all involved, I know it was a first class event..kudo's to all that worked so hard to put on this event!!!
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 09-02-2003, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Man,
What a great weekend. I had a blast. I too want to thank everyone who supported this event. It was truly a car event. We had Uniques, BDR, FFR, SPF,CSX, Z06, GT-40, a 1962 Ambro, Mustangs, Cobra Mustangs, a GT-1 Camaro, a 450 HP Taurus race car, Coupes, Spec Racers, S-7's, even a pair Datsun/ Nissan Z cars. Everyone worked together to make this thing go as well as it did. Got to run on the track, sit and talk bull at the campground, meet alot of great people. From the folks who handed out flyers, to the drivers, corner workers, cooks, cleaners.
Thanks to all who had a hand in this. Plenty of track time, no major damage. Flying Freddie, I hope you made it home in time for the birthday party.
Jeff
www.whitbymotorcars.com
Old 09-02-2003, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would like to extend my special thanks to Jeff and CobraEarl for coming up with the Grand Plan to make this event happen and all of the volunteers who worked so others could drive. I had a great time, weather couldn't have been better, and the company was really special. Maybe again next year, huh guys?
h dog
Old 09-02-2003, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking Boy...have I got a story to tell....!

Cobraearl wrote

"... FLYING FREDDY RICE get the award for the LONGEST SKID and the Dirtyist Laundry Award for his TREMENDOUS EFFORT on the back stretch. "

Boy...you ain't justa woofin'...! Reminded me of the song "Thunder Road" by Robert Mitchum (yes, Robert Mitchum)...."He left the road at 90, that's all there is to tell. The Devil got that mountain boy, that's all there is to tell!"

I made the damn near fatal mistake of cutting 'Kink' too close to the apex cone...went over the pavement that went into the center part of the small oval course...car got light and it pushed me further than it had before onto the rumble strips opposite from 'Kink'. I had both left sides off in the grass... saw the exit cone coming right for the center of my car and then just very calmly inserted my head into my rectum....and lifted off the damned accelerator...! >>>>DUMB<<<< The back end started coming around...I tried to correct...too much....went around a little more....tried to correct again....then promptly did 2 ( not one, mind you...TWO) 360's in the middle of the back straight, at better 120+....DAAAA-YUM.....! Left the pavement to the right side of the track....taking out the #5 braking marker with my right rear wheel/fender. (No damage...minor mark that's already been rubbed out!) Came to rest facing the right way...engine dead....car full of grass, sand....and doodoo... Tried to restart, but the car was still in gear....slipped it out of gear and noticed a bright light out of the corner of my left eye....when I turned to look...IT WAS FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! The damn car's on fire...! Hey, wait a minute.....I didn't hit anything that would have caused fire....maybe a busted oil line...but shouldn't cause a fire. Tried to restart it again, and when it hit the exhaust blew the fire out. I'm thinkin' the hot side pipes had caught some of the taller dry grass on fire....no problem...just more doodoo in my shorts...! I waited for the corner worker to motion me back on course...came around the Autocross turns and the last corner worker was pointing a furled black flag at me and shaking it as if to say "You've been a baaaaad boy!"..Gee...no sh!t, Sherlock...where've YOU been?. I drove slowly back to the pits, and just exited pit road into the cool pits to catch my bearings and breath...change my shorts, etc. Whoooooowweeeee....now THAT was a ride!

But, they say if you're not pushin' it, you're not learnin' anything...guess I learned something....NEVER LIFT....but, also, never go into the 'Kink' at 130, either...

Now...what I'd like to ask is...is did anyone get some pictures of the spin and subsequent offtrack excursion? If, so I'd like a copy and am willing to pay for any developing fee....thanks.

Also...when I took out the #5 braking marker....did anyone pick it up. Richard Price said he saw it in the back of a track workers truck. I'd sure like to have it as a souvenier of the event....!

Thanks to EVERYONE who made it happen...the weather wasn't too hot...but 100% humidity made it miserable for most of us. And...remind me not to stay at the 'Executive Inn' anymore... $25.00 long distance charges...and the guy said that was a 'good rate'...yeah, FOR HIM! Air conditioners turned off in the rooms when we checked in...bet it was 120 in the rooms...very little sleep Thursday nite as the air conditioner was bustin' balls tryin' to just catch up...better Friday, and you could hang meat by Friday PM... Next time....Hampton....more money....but much better hotel!

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 09-03-2003 at 11:28 AM..