12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2003, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     
Default Serious Safety Issue - Please Read

HI, GUYS,

I PURCHASED AN "AUTO-LIFTER" AUTOLIFTER(?) IN SEPTEMBER OF 1999. I'VE ALWAYS LIKED IT AND HIGHLY RECOMMENDED IT - - I STILL DO, HOWEVER - - -

LAST WEEK I HAD MY FORD EXPEDITION ON THE LIFT. I COULD ONLY RAISE IT ABOUT 18" DUE TO THE HEIGHT OF MY GARAGE CEILING.
I HAD CHANGED THE OIL AND WAS UNDER THE REAR OF THE CAR CHECKING THE AIR BAG SUSPENSION COMPONENTS WHICH HAD COLAPSED. I WAS LYING ON ONE SIDE HOLDING A FLASHLIGHT IN ONE HAND AND PULLING ON THE SUSPENSION WITH THE OTHER; SEVERAL INTERESTING THINGS HAPPENED IN QUICK SUCESSION:

1. A SOUND LIKE THE DISCHARGE OF A .38 SPECIAL.

2. SOMETHING FLASHED PAST MY NOSE AND HIT THE UNDERSIDE OF MY BASEBALL CAP.

3. SAME "SOMETHING" KNOCKED MY BB CAP UNDER NEATH THE GT-40 IN THE ADJACENT BAY AND CONTINUED ACROSS THE GARAGE AND BURRIED ITSELF IN A CASTROL OIL BOX.

4. THE LIFT "DROPPED" ABOUT 6 INCHES (REMEMBER, IT WAS ONLY 18" UP TO BEGIN WITH).

5. MY LIFE (OR AT LEAST THE BAD PARTS OF IT) PASSED BEFORE MY EYES IN AN INSTANT.

6. I COMPLETELY RUINED A BRAND NEW SET OF "FRUIT-OF-THE-LOOMS" IN THAT SAME INSTANT.

THE PROBLEM HERE WAS ONE OF THE PLASTIC (COMPOSITE) HORIZONTAL LOAD PULLEYS "EXPLODED" INTO THREE PIECES. THE SECOND LARGEST PIECE WAS THE "SOMETHING" THAT 'TIPPED MY HAT'. NOW - - -

** THE AUTO-LIFTER IS "RATED" AT 6000 LBS.

** IT'S TESTED AT 18,000 LBS.

** THE FORD EXPEDITION IS LISTED AY 5340 LBS.

ALL OF THE ABOVE FIGURES ARE FROM AUTO-LIFTER'S OWN BROCHURES.

I CALLED A.L. THE NEXT MORNING, EXPLAINED MY SITUATION AND WAS TOLD NOT TO WORRY - IT'S STILL UNDER WARRANTY. THIS WOULD HAVE LOOKED GREAT ON MY DAMN TOMBSTONE. I EXPLAINED TO THE GENTLEMAN THAT HE HAD COME WITHIN AN INCH OF MAKING MY THREE SONS VERY WEALTHY. (NOT TO MENTION THEIR ATTORNEYS).

I WAS INFORMED OF THE FOLLOWING:

1. THE COMPOSITE (PLASTIC) PULLEYS WERE FINE FROM THE ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER. HOWEVER, THEY WERE NO LONGER USING THAT MANUFACTURER BUT A DIFFERENT ONE.

2. THEY HAVE HAD PROBLEMS "JUST LIKE MINE" WITH THE LATTER COMPOSITE PULLEYS.

3. THEY ARE NOW USING STEEL PULLEYS.

HE SENT ME A COMPLETE SET OF TEN NEW "STEEL" PULLEYS. I ASKED WHY THEY HAD NOT NOTIFIED THE PURCHASERS OF THESE "INTERMEDIATE" PULLEY EQUIPED LIFTS. HIS ANSWER: "I'M NOT SURE". I EXPLAINED THAT MY EDITION OF "BLACKS" LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THAT PRODUCING (OR USING) A DEFECTIVE PART THAT CAUSES INJURY MIGHT WELL BE CONSTRUED AS NEGLIGENCE; CONTINUING TO USE IT MIGHT BE GROSS NEGLIGENCE; DELIBERATLEY NOT INFORMING PREVIOUS PURCHASERS OF A KNOWN SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE MIGHT EVEN BE CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE.

NOW - - AS I MENTIONED AT THE OUTSET - I'M NOT TICKED -OFF AT AUTO-LIFTERS. I STILL THINK IT'S A GREAT PRODUCT MADE BY VERY NICE PEOPLE.

I SIMPLY WANT TO MAKE ANY A.L. OWNERS AWARE OF A SERIOUS PROBLEM AND HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU CONTACT AUTO-LIFTERS AND REQUEST THAT THEY IMMEDIATELY REPLACE YOUR PULLEYS (ALL TEN OF THEM) WITH THE NEW STEEL VERSIONS. I'D THINK TWICE (AT LEAST) ABOUT GETTING UNDER THE LIFT UNTIL THE PULLEYS WERE CHANGED. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT ME. I'LL TRY TO HELP.

MEANWHILE - - STAY SAFE - AND - Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY.

BLACKJACK
Old 08-19-2003, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

BJ:

...and there are no "fail-safe" locks (or something) to set before you go under the car?

Jim
Old 08-19-2003, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

I always place a solid object thicker than myself under any car I am about to crawl under. If the tires are off the car I put them under the car or if not then something like a set of ramps or I just leave the floor jack about 1" under the car in case the jack stands fail.

I would place a set of jackstands under the auto lift just in case
Old 08-19-2003, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nothing yet- spending money for Cobra on daughter and son's college educations!
Not Ranked     

BJ- How about some jackstands as a safety back-up??? I've always used them before I crawl under any vehicle to do any kind of work.

My .02

-Bob
Old 08-19-2003, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

JIM - -

THERE ARE "LOCKING SAFETY DOGS" THAT WORK VERY WELL. IF THEY DIDN'T I WOULDN'T BE WRITING THIS NOTE - THE LIFT WOULD HAVE FALLEN ALL THE WAY.

AUMORE - -

I DO THE SAME THING AS YOU WHEN I'M WORKING UNDER A CAR UNLESS IT'S ON A LIFT. MOST OF THE TIME I'M WORKING ON ONE OF THE COBRAS AND THE LIFT IS SIX FEET OFF THE GROUND. YOUR SUGGESTION MIGHT BE POSSIBLE UNDER A LIFT BUT WOULD NOT BE VERY PRACTICAL.

BOB - -

I USE JACK STANDS ALSO BUT I'VE NEVER SEEN THEM SIX FEET TALL.

ALL - -

I'M PROBABLY MORE "SHOP SAFETY CONCIOUS" THAN MOST GUYS - THAT'S ONE OF THE REASONS THAT I CHOSE "AUTO-LIFTER". I THINK THEY MAKE ONE OF THE SAFEST LIFTS ON THE MARKET.

MY POINT IS - - - COMPONENTS OF A LIFT SHOULD NOT EXPLODE. THE PLASTIC PULLEYS ARE NOT RELIABLE - - AND THE MANUFACTURER WILL SEND YOU STEEL RELACEMENTS IF YOU CALL THEM.

MY POST IS TO ALERT AUTO-LIFTER OWNERS - MANY OF WHOM I HAVE RECOMMENDED AUTO-LIFTER TO - OF A POTENTIALY DANGEROUS SITUATION WHICH CAN BE REMEDIED BY A PHONE CALL TO THE MANUFACTURER.

Y'ALL HAVE AREALLY GREAT DAY.

BLACKJACK
Old 08-19-2003, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Default I also never trust any lift, without....

Something solid and STRONG under there with me. At minimum a wheel (might be expensive if it gets damaged) or hopefully a giant sectional piece/disc of a solid tree trunk is even better (I live in the Northwest and own timberland) it's just not worth the risk.. a jack stand or lift can fail/topple. Consider if a bad earthquake occured when under jackstands

Having said that, the company in question, KNOWING that there was a problem, should have offered a recall/repair type situation to redress this problem. Expensive but one death or serious injury and they will lose a lot more in damages and bad press.

Glad to hear that your kids were not prematurely given access to undue income. Blackjack
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 08-19-2003, 08:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Serious Safety Issue - Please Read

Quote:
Originally posted by BLACKJACK

MY LIFE (OR AT LEAST THE BAD PARTS OF IT) PASSED BEFORE MY EYES IN AN INSTANT.
Now... that can't be true...
..the bad parts alone would take much longer than that!

Glad you dodged the pulley-pieces... that must have been a scare.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

BLACKJACK,
That will be the first thing I check at the shop tomorrow! Love the lift, but can't remember if the pulleys are steel or not.

Thanks for the tip fella!

DV...Ohhh, that could have smart
Old 08-19-2003, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Serious Safety Issue - Please Read

Quote:
[

HE SENT ME A COMPLETE SET OF TEN NEW "STEEL" PULLEYS. I ASKED WHY THEY HAD NOT NOTIFIED THE PURCHASERS OF THESE "INTERMEDIATE" PULLEY EQUIPED LIFTS. HIS ANSWER: "I'M NOT SURE". I EXPLAINED THAT MY EDITION OF "BLACKS" LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THAT PRODUCING (OR USING) A DEFECTIVE PART THAT CAUSES INJURY MIGHT WELL BE CONSTRUED AS NEGLIGENCE; CONTINUING TO USE IT MIGHT BE GROSS NEGLIGENCE; DELIBERATLEY NOT INFORMING PREVIOUS PURCHASERS OF A KNOWN SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE MIGHT EVEN BE CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE.

NOW - - AS I MENTIONED AT THE OUTSET - I'M NOT TICKED -OFF AT AUTO-LIFTERS. I STILL THINK IT'S A GREAT PRODUCT MADE BY VERY NICE PEOPLE.

[/b]

Let's see....
You nearly got crushed to death by a product known to be defective and you're not pissed, because they're nice people???
What if somebody who doesn't read CC gets killed next month by the same problem?
IMO, you have an obligation to force them legally to issue a recall.
I wonder what Evan would say?
Evan?
Old 08-19-2003, 10:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wouldn't have to be BLACKJACK, seems like the company IS aware of the problem. Thanks for bringing it to our attention my friend. Maybe someone here would like to take up the "cause" and follow through?

......just seems like BLACKJACK has had more than his share of lawyers, insurance, fires and court stuff all ready.

Ernie

Thanks for point
Old 08-20-2003, 02:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

black jack..if your auto lifter is like my two hoists (rotary lift 2 poster and stinger 4 poster) then you were NOT up high enough (18" you said) to be on any safety stops. if so , then you were trusting hydraulic pressure to hold your 5400 pound vehicle in a static position all by hydraulic pressure alone. no way. those things can lose pressure just like hydraulic floor jacks. if ya can't get up to a safety stop, then ya bettter have jack stands underneath whatever you are lifting. the same may be said about the pulleys or cables, good enough for lifting or lowering but not for extended full weight force when not on a safety stop and relaxed. in your case, the pulleys broke, but it could have been hydraulic pressure letting loose too. i just checked my two hoists, metal pulleys only, no plastic. do not trust those hoists when the item lifted is not on the safety stops. in my 18 years of calling on car dealers, 1,000 in that time, i have seen some horrific accidents of cars being dropped off a hoist or hoist letting go with car and hoist crashing down ,usually operator error, or hydraulic pressure loss, or snapped cable usually at the swage end. you sir are a luck dude ! glad you are ok ! just my $.02 worth. bill.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Ernie,
That's no lie. Jack is like a test subject in a stress study.
Jack, Thank god for good clean scotch....
Steven
Old 08-20-2003, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Jack,
By the way, isn't that the lift that had the recall because the friggen pully bolts have a habit of backing out?
Steven
Old 08-20-2003, 05:10 AM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink

Blackjack,
You might want to call Fruit of the Loom. They might want to use your experience for commercial material.
Glad your guardian angel was on duty.
On the inquisitive side: why didn't you have your ex under the car? If you need more test dummies to prove your point on the defective pulleys, I'm sure many of us will gladly volunteer our ex's.

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 08-20-2003, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2086, 302/320 HP, Dart heads, hydraulic
Not Ranked     

BlackJack,

Quote:
3. SAME "SOMETHING" KNOCKED MY BB CAP UNDER NEATH THE GT-40 IN THE ADJACENT BAY
I hope the GT40 is OK.

How could they test it a three times rated weight, and have it fail at rated weight unless they only tested the model with the original pulleys. They should have done a full test, including durability cycling, after changing the pulleys.

Likewise they should have safety pins to prevent a freefall if a ram, cable or pully fails.

Glad your OK, thanks for warning everyone.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HI, GUYS,

BRETT - - I BELIEVE THAT THEY ARE IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHO HAD RECEIVED THE OLD (GOOD) PLASTIC PULLEYS AND WHO RECEIVED THE NEW (NOT SO GOOD) PULLEYS.

IT WOULD BE INCONCEIVABLE THAT THEY WOULD NOT ATTEMPT TO NOTIFY THEIR AFFECTED CUSTOMERS. I PAINTED AN UGLY SCENARIO FOR THEM BECAUSE I WAS UPSET. I'M SURE THEY DIDN'T NEED MY ADVICE BUY THEY GOT IT ANYWAY. I UNDERSTAND THAT THE FAILURES TO DATE HAVE ALL BEEN FAIRLY RECENT.

BILL W. - -

MY LIFT WAS BETWEEN THE FIRST AND SECOND "DOG STOPS" AT THE TIME - - I NEEDED JUST A LITTLE MORE ROOM THAN I HAD RESTING ON THE FIRST STOP. I HAVE A VERY HIGH DEGREE OF CONFIDENCE IN THE SAFETY (DOG) STTOPS ON THE A.L. IT'S A VERY WELL MADE MACHINE. AFTER THE "CORVETTE DROPPED ON THE PORSCHE" FROM AN INFERIOR LIFT (THE CORVETTE FORUM ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO) I WENT OVER EVERY ENGINEERED ASPECT OF MY A.L. AND FOUND NOTHING TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT. EXCEPT - - I DID WONDER ABOUT THE PLASTIC PULLEYS BECAUSE THIS WAS WHERE THE CORVETTE PROBLEM STARTED ONLY THEY WERE USING A DIFFERENT, NON-METALIC, MATERIAL - PHENOLIC AS I RECALL.

STEVE - -

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE PULLEY BOLTS "BACKING OUT". I DO KNOW THAT THE GUY AT AUTO-LIFTERS REALLY MADE A POINT OF TELLING ME - SEVERAL TIMES - THAT WHEN I REPLACE THE PULLEYS TO BE SURE TO TORQUE THE BOLTS TO 140 TO 150 FT, LBS. MAYBE THEY HAD THE PROBLEM OR THEY'RE USING AN ABUNDANCE OF CAUTION BASED ON SOMEONE ELSE EXPERIENCE. PERHAPS IT WAS AN ASSEMBLY ERROR. IF THEY DID HAVE A "LOOSE BOLT" PROBLEM I WOULD HOPE THAT THEY WOULD HAVE NOTIFIED US TO CHECK IT. WE'RE ONLT TALKING A POST CARD HERE. THEN, AGAIN - - - -

THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS AND ADVICE.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK
Old 08-20-2003, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DAN - -

THE LAST TIME I SAW "OLD WHATS-HER-NAME" WAS WHEN I TIED HER TO THE RAILROAD TRACKS JUST OUTSIDE OF PITTSBURGH.

HAVE A REALLY GREAT ONE,

JACK
Old 08-20-2003, 06:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     

BLACKJACK -

You still never dissappoint, my friend - you have a great talent for bringing a smile to my face

Quote:
THE LAST TIME I SAW "OLD WHATS-HER-NAME" WAS WHEN I TIED HER TO THE RAILROAD TRACKS JUST OUTSIDE OF PITTSBURGH
Thanks! I needed that.

I too have an AuotLifters lift. Fortunately, the friend who recommended it to me had already replaced his plastic pulleys, and told me about the upgrade to the steel pulleys. I think the lift is a really great piece of equipment. I also think A.L. should be making every effort to replace every plastic pulley they ever sold (I know in MY business, we would have HAD to - too much liability).

You'all have a great day too!

Jeff
Old 08-20-2003, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

BTW

I am glad you weren't killed in the process. I have a Rotory twin post lift in my garage. I put my F250 on it and let it down to the dog locks when it is up in the air. It is sure nice to change the oil on an F250 while standing under it and not laying on the ground. The lift is rated for 9,000 lbs but I still and very carefull putting the big monster on the lift. You just never know when something could fail.

Glad you weren't hurt.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

BTW
Mine is all steel pulleys and cables. But the cables probably could have been secured better. They just have a threaded bolt on the end crimped to the cable and the thread go through the lift steel riser and a simple nut holds them together. That is why I am leary of it. The local Cadillac dealer uses the same lift to pick up the big Escalades and they tell me after all these years not one problem. But never say never!