Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2003, 08:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     
Unhappy What could be worse . . .

than a perfectly good Cobra sitting in your garage ready to drive and the state taking 3 months to process your paperwork, give you plates and tell you that it is legal to drive. Paper work went in early July and just found out that I won't be getting my safety inspection until the end of Sept. So much for the 4-6 weeks I was told at the beginning of the process. No wonder so many people use title services. They really need to do something to streamline the process.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 08-22-2003, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2086, 302/320 HP, Dart heads, hydraulic
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Chaplin,

Sorry to hear that. They just bounced back my paperwork after 4 weeks because the "no liens" checkbox was not checked. Not just the MV-1, the WHOLE enchilada. Should have done it myself instead of letting the Notary fill it out.

Hang in there,
Jim
Old 08-22-2003, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

While you're waiting - take it to the track!
Old 08-22-2003, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     
Default Re: What could be worse . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Chaplin

No wonder so many people use title services. They really need to do something to streamline the process. [/b]

Chaplin,

Yea, they need to fire all the "overworked" state workers in every state and start all over with people who care...
We should all start going to their competitors for license plates,,
Ooops, that's right, they don't have any competition...
Old 08-22-2003, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: What could be worse . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Chaplin

than a perfectly good Cobra sitting in your garage ready to drive and the state taking 3 months to process your paperwork, give you plates and tell you that it is legal to drive. Paper work went in early July and just found out that I won't be getting my safety inspection until the end of Sept. So much for the 4-6 weeks I was told at the beginning of the process. No wonder so many people use title services. They really need to do something to streamline the process.
I hate to rub more salt in, but count on it taking at least 3 weeks after the safety inspection for the state to get the title to you.

I tried to speed things up by submitting my paperwork before the car was actually done and would have made it to, if it weren't for those meddling kids. No, wait! It was because I simply wasn't quite done when I brought the car in. I didn't expect anyone would care that the side vents, front quickjacks, and rollbar weren't installed, for example.

It was all worth it when I got a 4 year new car sticker though.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default ...

Hey Chap!,
more than 4 layers of wax and 200+ pictures is hazerdous to your car's future health while you are waiting. I would bet $100 that car has not been totally sitting in the garage all this time. I have an ERA vision of several trips down the street and around the block already! If not, you must have lots of self control.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Geez Chappy, you make California sound downright quick.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

Iowa is quick. I called and set an appointment for the inspector to come the next day. It took him 30 minutes and that afternoon I had plates. Bringing it into CA in June I had plates by February.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:48 AM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink

Gasholes watch out for each other....I think that you should trailer your car to your eastern Indiana residence where we can get it titled, licensed and then take it back to your summer home!

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 08-22-2003, 11:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

PSB- Take it to the track, that's all I need. I think I'd have trouble passing the safety inspection after I wrecked it

Casa-
"Ooops, that's right, they don't have any competition..."
And therein lies the problem

MikeyRide-
I noticed this was your first post, welcome to CC. As for this,
"I hate to rub more salt in, but count on it taking at least 3 weeks after the safety inspection for the state to get the title to you", that's not what I wanted to hear. Can we ban someone for brining bad news in their first post? Ban MikeyRide!

Duane- Send cash. I swear it has not been out of my driveway. I live in a pretty high traffic area and relatively close to a police station. And as you are well aware, these cars are anything but inconspicuous. With my luck, I'd pull out the driveway and get nailed. But don't think I haven't considered it, many, many times

Jamo-
NJ isn't far behind CA in many ways, and in some (like this) it's worse. Who can I recall? There must be someone? Send the recall forms, I'm going to start collecting signatures.

Flipper-
That's just not fair

Dano-
Please send me directions to my residence in Indiana and I will set out shortly. I lost them during the blackout we had at my summer home

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."

Last edited by Chaplin; 08-22-2003 at 12:01 PM..
Old 08-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

CHAPLIN;

What could be worse...... LOTS.

I got my cobra up and running , still needed a few things,was looking at a few months to complete it.

Now I have many thousands of dollars invested here and it is drivable.......therefore it's stealable.

I phoned and faxed every stinkin' insurance company around and NOBODY will insure an unregistered car.

So if it gets stolen before you can register it and insure it, you are S**T outta luck !

That's worse cause your just going to worry and not sleep until it's insured.Been there, done that.

Perry.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Perry-
Call Condon & Skelly. www.condonskelly.com 1-800-257-9496
They insured mine without a problem and it is not registered yet.

Edit- I just realized that you're in BC. That's not going to work for you. Make sure you lock it up well and add a few hidden ignition cut off switches, etc.

Mike

Last edited by Chaplin; 08-22-2003 at 12:47 PM..
Old 08-22-2003, 01:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Chaplin has WILLPOWER

Hey Chap...

Holy Cow, you get the award for the most WILLPOWER of any Cobra owner I've ever met. You must have a circular driveway or something that you are not telling us about. I hope you have a friend with an ERA that you can do ridealongs with... til then.

If it goes on for too much longer, and you feel you need that fix to calm down a little, just fly out my way and I'll let you drive my car.

I know what you are going through my broth'a. Hang On Man!
Old 08-22-2003, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF "street car" 418 stroker
Not Ranked     

yea, I'm in your boat though not as far along. One of the conversations I had with the head guy at NJDMV special titles said the Winslow site takes about a week if you bring it to them.
It may be too late but you can try calling the three sites and see what they say.

I figure renting a Uhaul trailer might be the way to go.

I'm still trying to figure out if i need to go with an old engine because of inspection issues, what engine are you using?
Old 08-22-2003, 03:06 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Cool

Chaplin,

Why the delay in the safety inspection at Morristowns DMV station????? Last car that got called in only had a week or two delay.............Perhaps a day trip down to Trenton will speed things along.............

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 496 FE side oiler TKO II
Not Ranked     

Uh oh, I just sent in my NJ paperwork last week. It may be starting to look like Christmas before I get this car legal

Chaplin - Did you call Rich Dittmar at DMV? He is a big cheese in the Reconstructed Vehicles (kit car) section. I have his number if you need it. Guess I will call next week for a "progress report"

The good news is you are in front of me in line!

Robert

Last edited by Rob_R; 08-22-2003 at 08:09 PM..
Old 08-25-2003, 07:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Duane-
I have frequent flier miles to use, so airfare won't cost me a thing. If I get desperate, I may take you up on that offer

MrM- Why the delay? Who knows. I was told that they are running about a month behind and that vacations and labor day weekend are putting them further behind. Apparently, it is the same story at every one of the three special vehile inspection stations right now.

Rob- I did speak to Rich, many times. In fact, he hand delivered my paperwork to the inspection station. I would definetely put in a call. I first called the special titles section to find out how they were making out, once they told me that the paperwork went to the Engineering Dept., I called them to check on the progress, and once the Engineering Dept. told me that the paperwork went to the inspection station, I called them and then was scheduled for the safety inspection.

FYI- I was told that heat shields on the pipers are a must. Also, I was told that they will fail the car if there are any moving parts exposed. For instance, if you have the dual pusher fans in front, but no screen covering them, the car will fail. So if you've got them, either take them out or fashion a screen to cover the snout.

Old 08-25-2003, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 350/385 hp Chev "Fast Burn"
Not Ranked     

I am just starting the special vehicle inspection process... The only thing I have done so far is to get the collector vehicle registration. The woman at DMV told me that I had 90 days to get the car inspected... It sounds like I'm going to have a problem because the engine in the car is a 1995. The person I spoke to at the Asbury park station used a lot of nasty words like catalytic converter... and polution controls. It seems that you must comply with the emmision/pollution control standards for the year in which your engine was built... does anyone know of any way to get around these requirements??? I would be interested to talk to anyone who has been through the process and knows of any other requirements for the original inspection. Please email me at dbaker4@hotmail.com
Thanx in advance
Don
Old 08-25-2003, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

find an old engine rebuild it and install!!
Old 08-25-2003, 01:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Why are you going through the special vehicle inspection process? You only need to do that in order to get a title for the car if you don't have a title yet. If you went to DMV and they gave you the collector registration and said that you have 90 days to get it inspected, you must have a title already, no? (becuase you can't register it without a title.) Therefore, since you must have a title already, you don't need to go through the special vehicle inspection. Just go down to any DMV with your collector registration and get it inspected. For collector vehicle inspection, the only thing they check is your insurance (to make sure that it is collector insurance limited to 3000 miles a year or less) and that your speedometer works.