23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2003, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ffr Opinions?

hello, im new here, and am seriously considering building an FFR cobra....just wanted thoughts on their product...plan is for a big block with irs...thanks for the input...
Old 08-22-2003, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

You may want to go to www.ffcobra.com
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 08-22-2003, 06:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You don't generally see that many FFR's with a BB. Small Block is more along the gereral line of thinking for them. Light weight, inexpensive (compared to many others) to build and maintain, good race car, easy to swap parts on. All around good car. I've heard it's "not that easy" to put a BB in one.

IRS vs Live Axle is a another debate all together. My guess is that MOST FFR's have a solid axle. Probably based on the additional expense\mainenance of an IRS system.

Now just because thats the way most are built, you don't have to follow the crowd! By the way, when it comes to FFR it's a really BIG crowd. Probably more FFR's out there than any other brand.

If I wanted a "dedicated" race car I'd go with FFR. For general street/track use I prefer something a little bigger,with more room. But you loose "accuracy" to original specs detail doing that. Hey, you can't have it ALL.

Ernie

EDIT: Heres a link to a recent thread asking the Question:
IRS or Live Axle?

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...712#post379712

Last edited by Excaliber; 08-22-2003 at 06:33 PM..
Old 08-22-2003, 06:40 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

I've owned two FFR's so far, loved them both, will own another one some day........First was a simple yet elegant 351W/385hp Ford crate engine powered car, the second was a monster of a car with a 347 stroker and a Vortec "T" Trim supercharger..(487HP/408ft/lbs torque).......Far too much useable HP for the car...................

So, with that said, why are you considering a big block for your car??? is it nostalgia, or do you have a nice drivetrain already sitting in the garage...As far as thoughts on the build up, each cars is a work of art in itself, each one is an extension of it's owner, and their talents in the build. if you have the talent, I say go for it...If not, then perhaps finding something already built close to your specs may be the better choice...........................Finally, as someone who has had all three rear end configurations, go for the IRS if you can afford it, you will not be sorry......

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-22-2003, 09:26 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter FIA style body with Ford suspension, 351W/396 by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

REM - If you are in Central Florida, I might be able to hook you up with some FFR owners in this area. Where in Florida are you?

Bumpster
Old 08-23-2003, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2573 & FFR 3265CP
Not Ranked     

I also have two FFR's. What convinced me was to go with FFR originally was the Tour of the factory and a drive in the car. I toured three other manufacturers facilities and rode in several Cobra's. I had also been involved in five builds of other kits and was blown away with the FFR approach. They have the lowest stance of any of the cars I've seen, about 2 inches lower than a SPF. Are lighter than most. Mine is 2220lbs Wet. The ability to use parts from the most modern of peformance vehicles. The IRS parts are the same ones still being used on the new 2004 Cobra Mustang. The 13 inch Cobra mustang brakes bolt right on.

My first car was built for street/Show use and Auto-X racing. Fuel injected 5.0 and 5 speed. A basic build with Solid rear, Mild engine mods. Weighs in at 2220lbs Wet. I have about 18000 trouble free miles on it so far and its just as solid as the day it was finished.
The second is the Daytona Coupe with a stroked 351 and Temec trans. IRS rear. New Cobra Mustang Brakes. Basically a full race machine with AC.
#3 is in the planning stages.

As for the big block, Go for it. They fit like a glove. No problem getting to plugs or wires. I have not heard of any overheating problems. But go with an aluminum radiator just in case. One of our local club members has a FFR with a 428 and Temec TKO trans. IRS rear. Its an Amazing car!!

If the power and look are the reasons you want to go big block, you might want to look into a stroked 351. You can dress it up with Pentroof valve covers and fool everyone.

Brad

http://www.drummondmotorsport.com
Old 08-23-2003, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

I think the FFR's are good cars and come out as good as the builder. I've seen many that are top notch and I've seen some that, ahem, need lots of attention. However there are a few facts that I'd like to point out:

1) The donor concept is misleading. When all is said and done you spend as much as any other builder; sometimes with more headaches.

2) The basic cost is not much less than several other brands.

3) The body is a mess and takes 60-100 hours to prep for painting which, if you are not doing it yourself, adds significant cost to the build.

Roscoe
Old 08-23-2003, 09:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default FFR

just a few observations...

... if you must have a big block, here are a few thoughts. By the time you add up the costs and time to build a well-equipped FFR, with the nice upgraded options, you are at a price range to consider other cars as well. For around the same range, you can build a 427SC Unique deluxe pallet kit that is designed to accommodate an FE, has the Jag IRS, Carerra Coilovers, better shape, and the body is nice too, easier to work with, better resale, so on and so forth.

IMHO, I would stay away from putting a Big Block in an FFR. They are light cars to begin with, and frankly a stroked 351W would be a handful in itself. Go for a ride in one with a pumped up 302, supercharged 302, or a pumped up 351, it's very enlightening.

It seems the best value from an FFR is if you build it with a 302 and a straight axle setup, although I prefer IRS. Try to add up ALL of the costs before you get started, and hopefully that will tell you what direction to take. I've seen FFRs with 40-50K in them reselling for 15-20K less than what they have into them. Why?

My friend is just finishing up a new FFR for a customer. I've looked the car over for weeks and weeks. It just seems like FFR should also offer an upper-end car and charge a little more for it for people that want to run big blocks, more authentic type configurations. e.g. FFR needs to bring back the Contemporary. That would sell for the people like you that want to run a BB configuration. They could do it if they wanted to. Good Luck.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Where there's a will, there's a way. If you really want a FFR with a big block, you can do it. I made a friend at least years' Fling, who had a FFR with a 588ci big block, and it had a blower on top of that!!! . 1000+ hp. So it can be done.

But as has already been said here, you should do research on all kits. I am a true and loyal FFR owner, and I love my 351W powered car. I am very happy with the car (I did not build it) and absolutely love the customer base. But there are lots of makes out there. Find the one that will suit your needs and budget best.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Post FFR bodies......

Roscoe, the bodies have gotten a LOT better in the last year or so. Still, you can't just buff them and pretend the car is painted like yours, Scott
Old 08-23-2003, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

There is an ffr owner that I ran into up at Bear Mt. last Wed with a 460 in it. It can be done but....why?

Cscott67: I've seen the newer bodies and they have improved alot so I'll re-state that it takes between 60-90 hours to do it right.

Roscoe
Old 08-23-2003, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK GUYS,,,,,.......obviously everyone has an opinion, but why is it that FFR is looked "down" upon here, as ive gathered....i have checked out the ffcobra forum, but i tell you what, the majority of them go the donor route, or using a small block, you get questioned "why??" so much...so i figured id ask here, what other brands would you recommend if not ffr??....i like the thought of building it myself, and at their factory, they are very nice, and sincere....other thoughts?? thank you for your advice.....
Old 08-23-2003, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Rem, no slight to FFR but if you're looking at other manufacturers, definitely check out Unique Motorcars. They sell a beautiful replica of either the 289FIA or the 427. Jaguar IRS standard and very well engineered - the build is a breeze and they're great folks to deal with. You can order it any way you like, from individual components to a "deluxe pallet car" (one of the best values in the Cobra world) to a complete car. Well worth a look for any prospective owner. Here is a link to the site: http://www.uniquemotorcars.com/.
Others will chime in with other options but put these guys on your must see list.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 08-23-2003, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

rem,
What do you want to hear?

I don't think anyone is looking down on your FFR.
It is not the same car as an Everett Morrison, Unique, Shell Valley, Classic Roadsters and some others. It is a lower price car. That is all.

If you really did your homework, you already knew that.
You are soliciting opinions, you are going to get them. I read the entire thread, most folks are trying to be helpful, and being very diplomatic.
You seem not to like their answers.

Just tell us what do you want to hear, I bet someone can say it.

There are $70,000 FFRs there are $7,000 FFRs. Which one do you want an opinion on.

This summer in Ohio there were many. Some looked far better contrasted against my CSX. Some looked pretty ragged.

This should tell you enough to make a decision.

Answering a newbies question about this kit vs. another is always a difficult one for the members who have probably tried that many times before. Since most of these cars depend primarily on who built it, with what options, parts and budget no two are alike.

This is not the Car and Driver or the Motor Trend, where Ford sends in a production Taurus and Chevy sends in a Malibu and they test them and publish their findings.

Cobras, replicas, kit cars are a lot different. There are too many variables.

I too am curious, if you are so set on FFR,why not get the validation and the acceptance over at the FFR Forum?
They would be more helpful than the folks in here, God knows they are trying.

TURK
Old 08-23-2003, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Exclamation said well

TURK said it right!

Amen

Eric
Old 08-23-2003, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

im not looking for acceptance.......money issues aside, going with a non donor build, im trying to see the advantages and or disadvantages of one car over another......i have the skills to build any or all of these cars.....im looking to spend about $40-50k total when all is said and done............with a big block engine, irs, with most of the nicer options........
Old 08-23-2003, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

FFR is (percieved, right or wrong) as the "Cobra for the masses". Hey, I like all cobras, no matter who made them, as long as the workmanship of the builder results in a nice car.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey what was that "total number of Cobras built" thread? That was interesting.

If I recall it was something like 2500 FFR's, they been around a long time! Equaling that was Classic Roadster's, about 2500. I think they been around about as long or LONGER ad FFR.

These two re-creations have very little in common! One is small, light weight body (thin glass), the other is larger, heavier (thicker glass). One is square frame, the other round! Some are Superbly done, others only so so.

Yet both have sold about the same number of cars! I want the C.R. for cruising and daily driver. I want the FFR for track use. Well there you go, it's up to the buyer to make a call!

Ernie
Old 08-23-2003, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default If you've got $50k...

Hey rem,

I've found that most of these folks around here don't look down at the FFR; however, there are some folks that pref. cars that are closer to home (SAI)...and there's nothing wrong with that either (It is a great topic that's very broad in opinion and interpretation...).

HOWEVER, you stated that you will spend up to $50k.

If you want the most for your money: you should call Paul, at 609-744-2813, and get a completed CSX-4000 series roller ($39K=painted, assembled, READY TO GO LESS ENGINE, TRANNY, DRIVE SHAFT!) and have a car that will more than likely justify the expense of the big motor.

BTW, 427-center oiler at Southern Automotive w/Cobra type goodies...$4500!

I myself...FFR...I'm in a position to complete a no donor, 3-link car for around $25K. And that includes paint by J. Miller.

To each his own; but when the $ get pushed up to $50k...you should probably keep company with the cars that will deliver a value in-kind with your investment.

Best of luck,

Build what makes YOU happy,

Manny
Old 08-23-2003, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Manny,
One of the few times I have agreed with you when you said the "folks here don't look down on FFRs". They DON'T.

Different than most forums on the INTERNET, this one is NON-denominational.
SPF has their own website, and I believe you have to own one to even get in there, FFR has theirs.

We here are NOT aligned with any particular brand. I had an ERA, now have a CSX. The other moderator had none, and now has a Kirkham. The owner of the website Brent Mills, to this date doesn't know what the hell he owns. We know for sure it don't run, whatever it is.

With that information, anyone should feel comfortable being here regardless of what you own, or what you are planning on building or buying.

It don't get better than that. I would venture to guess most of the member are under the column of "Don't own one".

We don't care where your loyalty or your inclinations lie.
We do care if anyone of us carry a chip on our shoulders in anticipation that we are not welcome because we own X, Y or Z.

That doesn't mean we don't have strong opinions of what we prefer. We also demonstrate a great deal of loyalty to the brands we own, or owned. More than the manufacturers have shown toward us.

Enjoy.

TURK
CC MODERATOR