Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2003, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Etiquette

Yesterday I was about to pull out of my driveway for an early evening drive when I looked over to my right and saw another Cobra at the intersection a 100 feet or so up the road. I have seen this fellow before , since he only lives down the street from me. I was about to waive to try to get his attention because I have always wanted to take a look at his car when he just stared at me , lit up the throttle and smoked his tires down the street. My question is, does it seem worthwhile to even bother ? As a Cobra owner, I would like to see them all up closeand speak with the owners. By the way, my wife thought it was me smoking the tires.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to hdheritage97
Not Ranked     
Default Maybe it's just me

but I would take that as an invite to follow the guy. Why not just walk up to his door and ask to see the car if you're really that curious or come to the cruise night at Bear Mountain, there's alwasy Cobra's there for you to look at and talk to the owners.

Cliff
Old 08-25-2003, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #243 - 351W stroked to 418
Not Ranked     

Sounds to me like you should go to his house & offer him some mustard. Anyone pulling burnouts in a neighborhood is the filet mignon of hot dogs.
Don't waste your time.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't think about it to hard. If the opportunity to introduce yourself comes up again, take it! Could be lot's of reasons that guy did that, nervous, taken by surprise, shy, embarrased, confused over WHAT to do now. You never know, give him the benefit of the doubt. If he was in my neighborhood I'd want to check out his ride!

Hmmmm,,,,not my style to go knock on a guys door and introduce myself, I'd keep an eye peeled and try to make "first contact" again. I might mention what an excellent burn out he did, by the way. It's taken me several months to "establish" contact with a Cobra owner I've "known about" here and wanted to meet. We finally met at a car show the other day, had a GREAT chat! I expect to see him again, a new friend.

Ernie

Last edited by Excaliber; 08-25-2003 at 07:32 PM..
Old 08-25-2003, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

If you're that hung up about the guys behavior, might I suggest you look for another hobby? This is about having fun in a hot
rod, not perfecting the nuances of some exotic mating ritual.
For God's sake, you're from New Jersey...act like it

Last edited by Steve R; 08-25-2003 at 09:18 PM..
Old 08-25-2003, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not done yet. Well he has thrown done the gauntlet laying a little rubber in your hood. LOL

I wouldn't bother chasing him around. He obviously isn't sharing your sense of comradery. Security issues?
Cobraphobic types like that are easy to spot.

Anyhow I would leave it to a casual wave and a smile. U taking the high road is just right. Make sure you have your car a different colour too you don't need that image attached to you or your car.

Tim
Old 08-25-2003, 11:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

notdoneyet,

or, when you get your Cobra done you could get four other Cobras to join you around 7:00 a.m on Sunday for a nice long burnout down his street sometime to say hello. Hehehehehe

Old 08-26-2003, 03:34 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Where in NJ are you located......There are some really nice Cobra owners here in the Garden State...Then again, there are a few assholes as well. Perhaps we know who this person is, and can clue you in as to which side of the equation he is on..........

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-26-2003, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve R., I like to do burnouts as much as the next person, just not in front of my own home.
decoony, I was is my Cobra at the time, I am sure that had a lot to do with it.
Mrmustang, I live in Monmouth Cnty. I am still trying to find out who the manufacturer is of the other Cobra. By the way, 2 summers ago I saw a person driving this same Cobra get pulled over in the same spot as the burnout . He was put in cuffs and arrested for DWI. I watched the whole thing from my front yard. I do know it was the same blonde passenger in the car both times.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Maybe he thought you might have been too accomodating last time the blonde passenger was left "high and dry" by the drunk driver, and wanted to keep you the hell away from her.....

See, there's a simple explanation for everything!
Old 08-26-2003, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

Mister Mustang says it best "there are a few A$$HOLES out there". After they get the hint and come around they sometimes
turn out to be nice people, or just bigger A$$holes?
Old 08-26-2003, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve R

For God's sake, you're from New Jersey...act like it [/b]

That's a great quote.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Old 11-12-2003, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Hey Whaler, I have a question for you, would you please email me ?
Thank you
Old 11-12-2003, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4047 power by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Hey notdoneyet, anything happened yet. keep us infoed.
roland
Old 11-12-2003, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

For a Corvette, I might take up the challenge to clean his clock. I say "might", as it might not be worth the effort.

The only thing that can challenge a Cobra, is another Cobra. We all humbly accept this and don't screw with each other on the street or it can get ugly.

If (and this should only happen rarely) [a 521 squared off with a with a huffed 302 on an interstate at DVSFII] challenged, back off and give the newbie some room. It's not worth your ego, car, or Drivers License. And the newbie will soon figure this out on his own.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

I can't comment on the original poster's interaction; perhaps it was some sort of primordial mating ritual between two cars.

But i happen to think that folk's personalities are pretty evident when they drive. When i encounter some arrrogant, stupid, aggressive, rude sort of driver, i often remark to my wife that most likely, the driver is just exactly that sort of person in all spheres of their life. There are all sorts of personalities out there, and they can become very visible when driving.

Oh, on another thread, so to speak, went to a bookstore last night, wife was at a girls card party, read for awhile, then while checking out, this man came up and asked me if the "cobra" was mine out in the parking lot. We talked for awhile, he remarked he wished his son were with him to see the car, so i invited him for a ride. Capped up his coffee, walked out, i carefully strapped him in, and we went out on the nearby interstate. I was careful to not do something dangerous or stupid myself, but i did show him the incredible performance of these cars, and when we got back, gave him one of the Superformance brouchures i carry in my car.

He was greatful, and i am sure will long remember his experience under the warm South Carolina moon and stars.

I remember years ago, i was traveling, at a gas station a Replica owner was refueling, so i walked over and started to ask him some questions, and all i got was that look that i should check my shoes to see what i had just stepped in. A lesson learned and remembered for me.

But when it comes to rude driving, it is like other experiences for me. I really try to not get bothered by the actions of others, and life is a lot happier that way.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 11-13-2003, 05:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra "drive-by"

I recall when we were with the Real Estate agent, taking our first look at the house we are now living in -

We're standing out on the front porch, looking over the exterior of the house, when I hear this really mellow V-8 sound. Around the bend comes a beautiful red Cobra, just cruising on by. The homeowners, who just happen to be there during this showing, say "Oh yes, that's Jack from down the street - there are a couple of those around here.". "That's it!" I tell the Real Estate Agent, "THIS is the neighborhood for ME!".

Weeks later, a couple days into the "move-in", I finally got around to bringing my cars over. As soon as I got the other cars safely tucked away in the garage, I fired up my ERA and headed down to meet Jack. He turned out to be a really great guy, retired from Ford, (where I worked, too), and we have helped each other many afternoon's twisting wrenches on each other's cars.

Jeff
Old 11-13-2003, 05:50 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

I don't think it was the driver's fault: the Cobra was just marking its territory.

Seriously: Aw, I wouldn't bother chasing him. If he's a butthole, better to let him go. If he's OK, he'll come back sniffing around your Cobra. Or his Cobra will.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have seen him a couple more times driving by my house, with me outside with the cobra. He just looks over and keeps on going.