Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2003, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to PhilStubbs
Not Ranked     
Default question about buying a kit

i am pretty new to the whole kit car concept and i am interested in buying a cobra. so far all i have found are kits with body and chassis. i was wondering if there was a kit to use an existing car chassis and mount the cobra body on it. any help would be appretiated
Old 09-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hmmmmm,,,,haven't heard of one that is a straight up and down deal. "Donor" concept using a "Cobra" frame is as close as they come that I know off.

Current donor styles include:
Mustang (FFR, among others, this is the most popular "donor").
Vette (Hunter)
BMW (Back Draft)

Have you considered buying "used"? Great market to buy in right now!

Ernie
Old 09-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter FIA style body with Ford suspension, 351W/396 by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

Phil - As you learn more about kit cars, and Cobras in particular, you will find that there are few kits of the type you are asking about, and none are Cobra kits that I am aware of. There are some kits, called "re-bodies", that add body panels to cars like Fieros or Miatas, to make them look like something different. Again, there are no Cobra kits of that type available. One very good reason for that is that Cobras tend to be built with very high powered engines and require a frame and suspension and brakes that are very high performance. You won't find many frames under many cars that are built for that type of performance that aren't already sports cars such as a Viper or Corvette. Then to strip a body off of one of those and try to mount a Cobra body in its place would be, well, very impractical if not nearly impossible. Ernie's answer was as close to what you are looking for as you will find, and that is a few manufacturers that use components from existing cars that are attached to their frames, which are built to accept the Cobra body and match the performance levels that are necessary.

I hope this makes some sense and is helpful. I am in the Central Florida area and would be glad to help you in your search for information. Email me through the club if you would like.

Bumpster
Old 09-02-2003, 05:24 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Cool

You'll want to read the following two week old Club Cobra thread:

ReBody kit for mustang?

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-02-2003, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks for the quick replies, this place seems to be pretty busy. as far as buying used, i want to build my car and not get into some elses problems. if i could find a kit in somewhat early stages that someone already started and didnt want to finish, that migth work, but a full kit like that is kinda out of my budget right now. i was kinda hoping to be able to buy a body and put it on something and kinda slowly piece it together. i am getting rid of some other pricey projects right now to make room for a new one that isnt gonna keep my wallet empty. i am throwing a few ideas around of a cobra or maybe t-bucket. im really unsure about what i really want to do. i just know my honda crx projects just cost way too much.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

Some of the Cobra companies will allow you to put down a modest deposit and take delivery a year or so later(deposit usually refundable,but do confirm!)FFR seemed very flexible in this regard,and is probably what I would be building if time was not at such a premium.That would allow you to lock in a price,while saving your Pesos,and end up with an excellent machine.Frankly I don"t know how FFR can offer such a great package for the buck(must be their high volume sales)
Old 09-02-2003, 07:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

HUGE difference between a T-Bucket and a Cobra.

MOST notable difference, in my opinion:

Handling! I have YET to see a T-bucket I would even THINK about putting on a road course or running SCCA. These are a straight line vehicle. Totally opposite of what a Cobra is all about. Never heard of a T-bucket being used as a "daily driver" either, but that happens a LOT with Cobras. Go to a local cruise in night in your town. How many "Hot Rods" you see? Heck there EVERYWHERE! How many Cobras you see? There RARE and they DRAW a crowd!

Two different worlds, both cool, but I'll take a Cobra hands down everytime!

Ernie
Old 09-02-2003, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i would go with the cobra over the t bucket with out even thinking about it if money wasnt an issue, but im 22 with a baby on the way. the t bucket might be a little more feasable for my wallet right now, or for a pretty long time(the baby should out live me). no matter what i build, its not gonna be a daily driver and will probly never see competiton other than stop light drags. im having some trouble finding a t bucket kit with any decent kind of suspension on it. i was to do camaro or corvette suspension, but its not to be found. that is a big factor in my decision and will probly sway me to the cobra and i will just dig around till i find something i can afford or save for a long time
Old 09-02-2003, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You can start looking for your 87-93 donor Mustang,and maybe for a couple thousand be livin' at least part of your dream(plus you'll smoke most of the "ricers" while you wait for yor Cobra kit).Congrats on the baby-you are entering the best years of your life!
Old 09-02-2003, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

there arent many american production cars i like. most of them that i do like are twice as old as i am and are chevy, sorry, but i cant drive a car with a ford engine. if i do get a cobra it will have a small block chevy in it. i just started my search so i am gonna wait it out for a while and see if i can find a kit that has been started, but far from finished for a pretty good price. anybody know someone that wants a 71 superbeetle. selling that would get me closer to my cobra. lol.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Chevy huh??? Ok then, you know those T-Buckets are really a great ride, you'd look good in one of those. (ha ha)!

Ernie
Old 09-02-2003, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

You sound more like a T bucket driver. Sure they're ugly and impractical, but you can put a chevy in it and hang out with all of the other idiots that put chevy engines into Fords.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just remember what we used to say when I was turning wrenches years ago-a Chevy engine is just a Ford put together backwards(you can tell by distributor location)Can't make even one teeny,weeny exception?I promise it won"t hurt at all,right guys(back me up here please!)LOL
Old 09-02-2003, 10:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Phil,
To check out a site that is based on the rebody concept of an existing Sports Car try www.cobrasnvettes.com . I offer a Cobra inspired body and floor tub that bolts directly to a 3rd generation Corvette 1968 to 1982 and the 4th generation Corvette. The bodys are longer and wider to accomadate the 98 inch wheelbase but the C4 is a 1/2 inch shorted wheelbase but the body lenght is the same. There are many performance suspension upgrades available if desired but already very respectable handling and weighing 1000 pounds less than the Vette does not hurt performance either. It is a very basic and easy task to unbolt Vette's 8 bolts and replace new body kit with same 8 bolt locations. Thanks Jeff C
Old 09-03-2003, 06:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302 done, CSX289 comp body, leaf spring chassis to original specs...
Not Ranked     

Curt Scott's guide does list a rebody "Monter Miata". While it only hints of a cobra, it fits with your needs described. ( drop on body, easy to find parts, not american production, wallet friendly...)

They claim it it can house a small block....FORD.

Not my choice, but maybe yours- good luck.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:31 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Phil

As mentioned there is only one rebody available to 'look' like a Cobra, and that is only a slight resemblance. No one will ask 'is it real' You can put a ford v8 in it though.

My advise is to decide if you REALLY want a cobra replica and if so, wait. Look for deals. Take a HONEST look at your time, wallet and skills. Use that information to do some research and take your time. There is a good used market out there with lots of bargains. Everything from parts, unfinished kits to complete cars.

Add up what it would really cost to buy a clean Miata, convert it, paint it and stuff a V8 in it. Done well it might surprise you.

So get out there, find some owner, go for some rides, look, talk, listen, learn.

These cars are NOT for everyone. Be sure they are for you!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 09-03-2003, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ok, i found my cobra. there is a company about a 1/2 hour drive from my house that makes a cobra body that fits any 90" wheel base. to me that sounds like a shortend small truck frame. i have seen some of the bodies this company makes and i have yet to be dissapointed. my dad bought a fiberglass cj7 jeep body from them and it was really nice. they sell the complete body(body, hood, doors, and trunk lid) for $4500. there is a local you pull it junk yard here that would sell me a truck frame for about $100 and then i could use all camaro suspension and be set. well, after a lot of frame strengthening. what do you all think?
Old 09-03-2003, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

I think you'd have a truck with a Cobra body Hope you don't plan to take it to the track.

For another $1900, you could get a body AND frame from Hunter Kit cars (set up for Chevy suspension even). They are located in Ocala, FL - not far from you:

http://www.hunterscobrakits.homestea..._Products.html

If you go with the place you're talking about, make sure you get a firewall, fenderwells, cockpit tub, and trunk tub with it.

Pete

Last edited by PSB; 09-03-2003 at 04:23 PM..
Old 09-03-2003, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

that looks like a pretty nice kit. here is a pic of the one i am talking about so you can see it. it seems pretty nice
Old 09-03-2003, 05:54 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Ok, so where is the rest of the kit....Like the frame???

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS