28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2003, 06:26 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Okay, same cars, Z06 vs Big Blocl Cobra on a drag strip.. .

Now who's quicker?

Given equal drivers and slicks on both cars. GM claims 3.9 second to 60 for the stock Z06 on stock tires. . .

How quick are these replicas with 460's and 514, 5 speeds. . .?
Old 09-23-2003, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era#671 Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     

I would only guess the zo6 would pull out of the hole quicker for new technology reasons but would not hold its spot long once cobra pulled out of second ..........wait a minute what am i doing judging this call when im still waiting for my cobra to be built and never even driven one,But that would be my 1/2 educated guess.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just sold a 2002 zo6,i now have a superformance #1537,392 stroker 430 hp, the zo6 is so fast off the line, it hooks up NOW, but the cobra is faster 2 and 3rd will pull away.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Then there is the new Z06. The new C6, coming up next year.
Be careful. Very very careful.

TURK
Old 09-23-2003, 10:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Cool

Hi,
You need to go hang around the local drag strip one night and see what shows up.
Yellow viper GTS 12.6
Lightning pickup 13.3
Z06 13.0
'70 340 Dart 12.7
'91 LX mustang 13.9
'88 LX Vortec mustang 12.4
'70 Charger 14.6
'96 SS camero 13.2
Turbo & nitros Civic 11.2
'68 396 Camero 12.9

Oh Yeah, my 460 Cobra that runs on regular gas; 11.92

There are too many variables to compare cars properly,
just smile and know there isn't much that will beat you in street trim.
Perry.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     
Reality check here guys--were talking bone stock new Z06 against a "built" 460(I'm sure it wasn't just transplanted from the old family truck or sedan, but had a rebuild with some "tweaks" )
in a Cobra(replica or otherwise)--Cobra might do it depending upon driver and other variables--

Now the big BUT--what if the Z06 gets the same "tweak" treatment as you have--?

Any takers then?
Old 09-24-2003, 02:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

well, i have run on the quarter mile against a number of '06's. Typically, they run about 13 seconds, i run about 12.2-12.4, depending on the temps and such. I have also run against some modified '06's, how they were tuned i don't know precisely. About a year ago at Rockingham, there was this '06 running low 12's, the driver told me he had taken it to Atlanta to have it modified, so towards the end of the evening, i challenged him. So the track operator built up the crowd, everybody came to the rails and stands, and as i was putting on my Nomex, i even had some guys come up to me and say "we got money on you, don't lose to the Chevy." There was a big national race the next day, so the factory support people were there, even the big Ford Motorsports van's people were pumped to see a "Ford"run against a chevy.

The announcer got the crowd all pumped, and we staged, and went. I ran my best ever, 12.0 at 119, beating his 12.2 at about 115, and as i came back to the lanes, the Ford fans were jumping up and down. The Vette driver told me it was his best run ever, mine too. Indeed, he was quick out of the hole, as i eased out at about 1500 rpm, but at about the eighth, i just ran him down, and pulled away nicely. I heard from a friend, that he took his car back down to Atlanta the next week to have it built up more.

I think if i were running slicks, and not my stock Goodyear GTII's, it would not even be close. After the launch, it is power to weight, and at 460+ hp, and about 2450 pounds, i can pull away very easily. Now i have seen a much modified '06 run mid 11's.

By the way, the only street race i ever took part in, was on a roll on from about 80 mph against a '06 with different wheels and a custom exhaust, so i presume he had performance modifications too, it was about even in my forth gear, but a bit later, from about 55 mph, when i could use third, i walked away from him easily. And yes, moments after we had our third run, a highway patrol car pulled up behind me, but he must have not seen us, as he went by. And i promised myself to never ever do that again.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 09-24-2003, 05:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Rob,
Z06- 405 hp. well over 3000 lbs.

The car you're building- 450 hp give or take... probably around 2600-2700 lbs.

You do the math....

Like everyone said, you'll have a hard time hooking up, but once you do, you'll hunt them down pretty quick. In a pure 0-60 run, I may take the Z06 only because of traction issues. But beyond that....faggedaboutit. Do you really think a 'Vette could outrun Tony's car??

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:32 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Klayfish,

Drive a Z06 then ask me the same question. You and Tony don't give it nearly enough credit.

Last edited by rsimoes; 09-24-2003 at 01:39 PM..
Old 09-24-2003, 11:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Rob,
It's nothing at all against the Z06. It is an awesome car. Damn fast, handles like a go cart considering its' size, comfortable. Bang for the buck, I personally think it may be the best mass produced street car in the world. I give it all the credit in the world. I like them. I've watched them race many times and watched some of them, with an experienced driver, leave me in the dust big time at Pocono.

I'm just saying you can't compare them realistically to the Cobra. They are very different. I guess it would almost be like comparing the WRX STi to the base Corvette. Both run similar 0-60 times, but not even close to the same experience.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The new C-6 ZO6 is rumored to be 4-500lbs lighter(where they're gonna trim the weight ,I don't know), then you Cobras better watch out.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up sgianino......

....an ERA with a 427 wh/ weighs the same (or less?) than a 302? You ain't gonna have ANY problems. Let me know when you're up and running....I had no trouble out in California walking away from a 2003(ish) corvette while heading west from Fresno. Started at c. 45 mph and walked away. You are, in actuality, going to have to hunt people down to race with you. I rode in (didn't drive) a Contemporary with a monster Dove (520+ ci and unimaginable horsepower) Ridden and driven in many cobras since, including my Butler. As my local mechanic said: "You can always find someone who can beat you, but you'll have to look REAL hard!" Premium choice of car and motor!
Old 09-28-2003, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     

Guys with SPF 351W crate motors have told me they walked away from a Z06 in a 1st-3rd run. I ran one recently from a 20mph roll as he was jumping on/off while next to me. We both went and he was dust . I hit 3rd on the light ahead by 1.5 and he was already off it. We stopped and talked for a few secs...his first question
was " Is that a 427...because you just left!". God bless those BFG DR's ! I guess there are many variables......give them a twin turbo or in the 625+ HP range they might beat you back . I'd give them the 60 ft at the track due to their awesome bite but I agree that during 2nd gear shift a 400+HP Cobra would jump 2 feet and walk a stock Z06. I have also heard the stock ones are running low/mid 12's , slightly modifed low/flat 12's ....so there's the mark to beat! I love the Z06 Vettes though. My favorite was a black on black with all leather......I'd love a ride in one.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't own a Cobra. But love them so much, am Chief Operating Office of a company that builds them.
Not Ranked     

There's a Cobra project somewhat further along than merely on the drawing board ( alledgedly, of course ) that may well just ace ANY Z06, new C6, HO Viper, or bring it....

Two passengers have come very near to losing conciousness in 2nd and 3rd from the G's during some reasonably impressive acceleration.

More on this as it develops.

Bob Lockett, Chief Operating Officer
PREMIER MotorSports, LLC
Old 09-28-2003, 04:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

If the Cobra has a highly modified engine, small or big block, then should the comparison be to a Lingenfelter or Callaway Corvette, with the twin turbos or superchargers ?

The cam profile starting with 2002 Z06 405 HP engine achieves maximum HP and torque after 4200 to 4500 RPM, must impact the intial 60 ft time from start.

On the Corvette forums, a great deal of speculation, on the C6 engine, up to 427 CI.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

Don: No.

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SHELBY GT500...slightly modified. Former owner of CSX4758..a GEM of a ride!
Not Ranked     

Would a Z06 do this? Would a Z06 do that? Who cares?
Just tired of seeing Z06 on the active messages lately.
Yeah I'm a COBRA guy and I bleed FORD BLUE.

Just stirring the pot

Gary
Old 09-30-2003, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Maker
Send a message via AIM to Bill E Send a message via Yahoo to Bill E
Not Ranked     

Avery wolf has to have a rabbit!
Old 10-01-2003, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA427SC #323, 427 SO, 428 crank, 454 CI, "IM2QWIK"---ERA GT-40 #2043 Ford SVO 302 Weber 48 IDA's 400HP "1 GT 40"
Not Ranked     
Cool z06 no match!!!

I've raced z06's both at the strip and on the street, and ain't had had one come close yet... They do get a better jump but at 2nd gear its all over... Ask Steve ****ey... He was with me one Sat when we went 'vet hunting...

spotterjoe

Old 10-01-2003, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by klayfish

Rob,
Z06- 405 hp. well over 3000 lbs.

Steve
FYI.. .. .a Z06 is not well over 3000 lbs.. . . .its real close to 3000 lbs. .. . a open top vette is 3200lbs.

I have driven several Z06's and they are way fast. But the car is really an overall package. It's not built to go fast and straight as a 427 with a 373 gear. Both are cool! my .02.

Neil