Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree133Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2004, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

Flipper35 and RawCobra: You guys are right, I MEANT the Dodge SRT-10 truck!! Still think Cobras will out-accelerate most everything!

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bare Aluminum pre-Kirkham CSX4000 427 Stroker by Southern Automotive.
Not Ranked     
Default "An ovary for it?"

Being a "Country " boy, I can translate for you. That expression would be the female version of "I'ld give my left nut for it. In other words, it's a big compliment. Your car was so nice she'ld never be able to afford it without trading/selling a very important and highly personal body part!

You probably should have swung by her dads place. Hard telling what cool cars and parts we farmers have stashed in our barns and sheds. She even said Dad was a big Ford man!

Fast Farmer
RCSC likes this.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Hey there, Fast! What else do you have in YOUR barn besides that CSX?

ME? I have a 1952 Ferguson TO-30 (in my gallery... you won't confuse it with a Cobra!), waiting for my SAI 427

By the way.. any sisters and/or daughters out that way in Farm Country? We need pictures!

-JT
Old 05-27-2004, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Damn straight, Edley. The SRT-10 has the Viper motor, and the Rumble Bee has a mere 5.7 liter Hemi. It's still fun as fu*k - my buddy gets plenty of grins per mile.

Do let me know if you ever make it out to the desert. Although I have not yet acquired a Cobra of my own, I have found a few fun mountain roads that anyone with a sports car would surely enjoy.
- Bill Cosby
Old 05-27-2004, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bare Aluminum pre-Kirkham CSX4000 427 Stroker by Southern Automotive.
Not Ranked     
Default This farmers shed vehicles stash

When I took delivery of my CSX I had two big block '68 Shelby fastbacks, (one was a converted 302 car) a '70 Boss 429 Mustang, a '72 351C Mach I Mustang, a '66 Mustang convertible, and a '66 Mustang GT HP fastback. I thinned the herd to help pay for the new beast, and have held on to the '72 and the two '66s.

Sorry, I have no siblings. My three daughters are waaaaaaay to young to hook up with. They all know and appreciate what a Cobra is. Even my youngest girl, a three yr old, can identify the car on the CC homepage by name. Then there's my youngest, a 3 mo. old boy, who will be raised to know and appreciate the cars as well.

To get back on topic.....Last year I was driving the Cobra to a local car show and once I got into the city, stayed on major streets which passed through both business and residential areas. I was in no particular hurry, let myself get caught by red lights and stayed under the speed limit. At the show a guy came up to me and asked me if I had driven down his street that morning on the way to the show. I had indeed. He got excited and said he had heard me from inside his house, and in his haste to get to the window to see the car making the noise, had wiped out scrambling over the back of his couch. He reached the window in time to get a brief glimpse of my taillights. I was amused at the visual, and knew it to be a nice compliment, especially since I was making the effort to pooch along to keep the noise to a minimum and avoid hassles from the police. Out in the country during brief WOT blasts, the car can be heard a mile away.

Fast Farmer
Old 05-31-2004, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cruised thru Beautiful Downtown Burbank Saturday nite. A single line of traffic in each direction. A couple of young kids driving an Integra asked me "What kind of car is that?" I answered, "A Cobra." He smiled and said, "NICE car!" I said "Thanks!".

I think that there IS hope for the youth (utes) of today.

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb My latest

Well my latest has been when took a ride over to a town about 150 miles from home to a river race (most run sb chev and all run pumps)they called it Boatnik.Was siting at a stop lite they had them ever 150 ft and not sequence guy sticks his head out the pickup window and yells is that Real my reply NO I am setting in my lawn chair. Next lite, he yells my uncle had a real one in his garage the only thing wrong with it a piece of fiberglass on the front fender is missing off to the next lite, he wants to know where he can find a fender.

If it was a original(+ I could not afford it) I would not be driving it and having the fun I am now. Turn over 2630 miles with only 11 months when I put in the shop covered with bugs dam life is good
Ken
Old 06-07-2004, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

At the Tri-County lunch this Saturday, with about 22 Cobras in attendance, I asked anyone if they wanted to cruise south thru Malibu, and see the sights that can be seen on a California beach in the summertime. Alas, seemed everyone had other plans, and no one else wanted to go on a Malibu cruise......................
EXCEPT for this young 18 yr old female exchange student from Belgium! When I posed my cruise idea to the group, I had seen this girl perk up, and she went over to her host parents, and asked them if it was OK for her to go on a cruise. I introduced myself to the host parents, we had a short conversation about who-what-where-and what time to expect her return, and off we went!
After the obligatory speech from me about avoiding "snake bites" from the sidepipes, I opened the passenger door, she wriggled into the seat, got the five-point harness on her, and we headed south, Malibu-bound!
Turnd out she had known about Cobras for a few years, and was (hopefully!) looking to buy a Cobra when she got back to Belgium this summer. Her host parents were driving by the parking lot when she saw all the Cobras there, and she asked them to stop for a look-see, and they obliged her. (to the husband's happiness, and the wife's consternation!)
Anyhoo, she told me her name, (Adelle), and I asked her if she wanted to go fast or slow, and she immediately said "FAST!!". So, once the Cobra got to operating temperature, I got on it a little, on those farm roads leading south to the beaches.
We had a two hour window before she had to be back home, so we just cruised down the coast, almost to Sunset Boulevard, then turned around and headed northward, with a drink stop at "Neptune's Net", a biker hangout on PCH, just north of the LA county line. I snapped a couple of pics with my 35mm of her leaning on the Cobra, sitting in the Cobra, standing behind the Cobra, etc etc, and took a couple pics with the Polaroid, so she could have them right then and there.
By now it was getting to the end of her time window, so I took her home, but not without a few more "open-throttle" runs thru the gears on those deserted farm roads.
She was smiling the whole time. I asked her if she had had a fun time, and of course she said "YES!"
She probably burned up the intercontinental phone lines to her friends back in Belgium that night, regaling the friends of her "wonderful time" (her words); It was a great day.

Old 06-21-2004, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Waiting to make a left turn, some guy drove past and yelled "Lucky Bastard!" at me. It made me smile even more!

Old 06-30-2004, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

Just got home from local 7/11,needed a coffee and a little cool air ride. Some grossly over weight guy hops down out of his dingy pick up with 3 young nose pickers following him and he roars "Hey is that there a kit car"? I said ."no, it's a Cobra replica" he says "what's the difference"? I responded "nomenclature" he says "oh" and walks away scratching his head. I bet if he had a dictionary he'd look that one up!!!
Old 07-15-2004, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Its red (or Blue) with a 427 and completely fictional.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
orginally posted by Edley Rondinone

I think that there IS hope for the youth (utes) of today.
Im only 14 and can see and hear a cobra within 1 mile away, even if they arent getting on it. I have also learned to identify the sound of the 289/302 compared to the 351w and the FE's between the 429/460's. BTW, last year in school, I "converted" 3 people to Ford people (they were chebbie and import friendly) by telling them they had to put bodykits and mufflers on their cars to look "cool" but the classic American cars came out of the factory looking their best, and most didn't start out as economy cars from across the pond. But thats just the way I am.

9-11 Never Forget

Fear starts with FE

Last edited by LwCwb; 07-15-2004 at 12:09 PM..
Old 07-15-2004, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good story, Mike!

Old 07-15-2004, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How about some more Cobra storys, they're a lot better than T.V.

9-11 Never Forget

Fear starts with FE
Old 07-15-2004, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I will be driving my Cobra thru town, and I will pull up next to someone with their windows up. They can hear (and FEEL!) the Cobra next to them and they look over, and you can lip-read them say the word "COBRA", and they look at me, with an acknowledging nod of their head.

Old 07-15-2004, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And when I am driving the Cobra on the freeway, you will come up behind cars with a few people in them; first, the driver sees you in his or her mirroe, and they mention to their passengers that there is a Cobra behind then, and everyone in the car turns their head simultaneously to check out the Cobra. I always smile as I pass them, and they are invariable waving, and smiling back.

Old 07-15-2004, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Reading the Cobra storys keep me sane enough to realize that we still have to wait a year for the house to get done, and most likely 1 1/2 years for the Cobra Sometime sanity isn't all its cracked up to be

9-11 Never Forget

Fear starts with FE
Old 07-15-2004, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of BDR 127......
Not Ranked     

In the 3 1/2 weeks since and 1268 miles I have had my car, I have had waaaaay too many 'recognitions' in my Cobra to even count. Pretty unbelievable and way beyond what I even expected. So, I will offer up the two most vivid and the one that happened today.

#1 - within the first week - Going south on the I-5 headed to Dana Point and I see a pick-up pulling up fast through the cars coming up on the driver side. The guy was two lanes over and I see a shirt flapping out of his passenger side window. I feel them pulling up next to me and the shirt turns out to be the passenger hanging out the window, as best he can with his buddy doing 85+, trying to take pictures of the car..... This is one the 5 freeway, mind you..... crazy with all the cars and speed.

#2 - Driving PCH south in Laguna Beach. Just got through the main beach area and was just hitting all the stop and go lights in south Laguna. I keep hearing a car honk its horn from two or three cars back - wasn;t sure if it was for me or someone was ticked off at somebody else. Anyway, 3 or 4 light later the car pulls alongside me and honks again. I look over and saw 3 of 4 beautiful, just got outta college-looking females. Long story short we kept blabbing through the next 4 or so lights (Nice car/ thanks, do you race it/no, can it fit more than two/ of you, yes).... just fun banter and flirting. Nothing really happened after that, but it fed a few nights of happy Cobra dreaming after that.

Today - Taking my car down to San Diego, on the 5 again. Received a lot of thumbs ups and waves on what is normally an hour and half drive (2 hours 20 mins. today with traffic). I drove over 100 miles and I as pull off the freeway and get closer to my mechanics shop (tweeks on the car and body as well), I hit the first red light. I wait, it turns green and I move forward and CHUG, CHUG...nothing. Start it again and the clutch goes to the floor..... Received a couple of honks, one very loud HA-HA and a lot stares as I pushed it over two lanes and onto a side street. The clutch slave went out... The good news, I was only three blocks from the shop - BUT, not quite the recognition you hope for in a Cobra.

All in all, it has been a fantastic 3 or so weeks. I am driving the car every chance I get..... It is all adding up to alot of smiles, a great tan and whole bunch of fun....

- Snak Iyz
Old 08-01-2004, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, Mildly worked 302
Not Ranked     

I've seen a lot of the reactions that have been described above. But this one topped it for me. I was parked at the far end of a parking lot under a tree for shade. I look over and there is a guy, probably in his late 50s, backing his Expedition out of a parking spot. He backed across several rows of parking spots to get a better look at the Cobra. I could see him staring as he was backing and backing across the lot. Suddenly I realized he wasn't about to stop. Just as I yelled, "Don't hit that .... !!" he backed right into a tree. His bumper got pushed up 3-4 inches. He got out looking embarassed and walked over to ask about the car before he even looked to see the damage to his own bumper.

Craig
Old 08-01-2004, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

Stopped into gas station to tank up yesterday and a fellow patron walked over and started looking the car over. Finally he says you got a hopped up chevy in there? I just said nah!
Old 08-02-2004, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yesterday Cobie and I were cruising on the highway and we noticed a Ford pickup coming up on us fast. When the truck caught up it stopped right to our left and sat there as to get my.... I mean our attention, so being interested in why they came up so fast just to cruise beside us I looked to my left to see a set of bare headlights with the brights on. My gosh, I couldn't react quick enough and Cobie saw them too. I checked on him this morning and he still had the grin on his face.

Whew! Talk about a drive-by.......

John