21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree133Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2003, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

Ok, ok, here is the REAL story..............

Evan and CSX 4206 are reposing in the sunshine, and two guys walk up....

Q: Is that a Shelby or a Kirkham?

A: Yes.

Suweeet!!!!

Both guys do a high five and plan a trip to Provo to see #3104 cuz its a REAL 1!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.......

Yours in Polish Aluminum Replicas,

Bud

Last edited by Bud Man; 10-23-2003 at 06:36 PM..
Old 10-23-2003, 06:33 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

If Evan can say his is real, I'm saying mine is too (we all know that when someone asks if it's real, they mean 60's vintage). Because of the way a few have chosen to twist the meaning of real & kit to make themselves look better in their own eyes, I think I am going to just start lying to people too. Is this a real cobra? Yup (you can see it and touch it; its definately real, so I wouldn't be lying). Is it a kit? Nope (it's complete, and nobody can buy it as a kit so I wouldn't be lying). I own a real cobra!!! Sweet!

Sorry, back on topic....Everywhere I go, I get the gestures to light'em up, thumbs up out windows, and a lot of honks, which scare the hell out of me. Amazing how a car can break down the walls between people you might not ever have ever interacted with otherwise. Too much fun.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

I agree, Brent.

I think Evan has his head so far up his ass when it comes to this real/original/replica subject that he has himself convinced that he can pass his car off as a real one.

Pat Buckley
Old 10-23-2003, 06:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Those last 3 posts above may be printed and framed in my garage..well... plus my own !
Old 10-23-2003, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Amen to that.

To show you how far it can go in the other direction: I went to Fabulous Fords this year in L.A. Pre-entry required, assigned parking, pretty strict, yada yada yada. I arrive at the show and drive to the parking area assigned to Cobras. Hearing my car, the parking person asks, original CSX car? I start laughing and say no. I had to park next to the CSX 4000 series car.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Well he!!, on the first day of the Norcal SAAC corral at the Monterey Historics (the day before I got kicked out for the burnout), the corral master DIRECTED me to park with the CSXs. Who was I to argue? The CSX owners (or possibly Turk) made sure I didn't park with them the next day.

Hehehe....
Old 10-24-2003, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1498, 351 stroker
Not Ranked     

While back I am at a stop light and two young guys in a newer conv. Mustang GT pull up and the driver screams over "want to run them"? I told him no and he asked again, begged and tried to belittle me a bit all with good humor. I revved the Cobra pretty good and said, "you don't want to try it". With that his buddy started laughing and the driver shut up obviously humbled and intimidated by the sound alone. We both went down the road and stopped at the next light and his buddy says, "what kind of car is it"? Pretty good compliment when the sound and not the reputation did the job.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Latest recognition? I guess it was when I walked out to the garage the other night and said, "Hey, I remember you!" to my JCF.

Haven't gotten to drive it much lately...
Old 10-24-2003, 08:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

In the last couple days the following have happened:

1. At a traffic light the other night and a van pulls up on my right to the point where his driver's window is even with my right front tire. I see the window go down and out come two hands applauding.

2. Was giving a ride to one of my uncles and pulled into a gas station to get gas. While filling it up, this woman pulls off the road, gets out her car runs over and says "WOW, that's gorgeous, do you mind if I look at it." To which my uncle responds to her "Sure, go ahead, do you want me to get out so you can get a better look at me" She then proceeded to go over every inch of the car in awe with a huge smile on her face. If she were younger and better looking I would have left my uncle at the gas station

3. Last night, I'm driving around with hat, gloves and jacket (it's about 40 degrees outside) and I'm in the right hand lane of a two lane road. I pull up to a red light and there is a new BMW 7 series in the left lane. Once you go through the light, the road immediately merges to one lane and people usually nail the gas to try to beat out the guy next to them. Because I don't like having people behind me, I stopped half a car length behind the BMW and was going to let him go first. The guy obviously heard the car, put it in reverse and backed up so he is even with me. Light turns green, he gives me a thumbs up and waves me to go through the light. I blipped the throttle, flashed a smile and a wave and proceeded down the road.

The other thing I have noticed is that everyone lets you pull out because they want to look at the car. In places where I can sit for a couple minutes waiting for a break in the traffic with the regular car, in the cobra it is like Moses parting the Red Sea. Everyone stops to let me go.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 10-24-2003, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

I was driving the FIA through an area in Kansas City known as "The Plaza", when some guy in a black F-150 hangs out the window and yells "BUY A REAL ONE!!!"

I just looked and him and shook my head, because I couldn't come up with a response fast enough. I need some help from some of you lightning-tounged guys in here. What would you have said??

A few months back I was sitting at an intersection when this dirtbag rolls by in his POS '90 Cavalier and his GM Goodwrench mechanics shirt and says "You're fakin', man...you're fakin!". My response to that one was easy of course, I just said "Yeah, you got me. I'd much rather have that rusted-out-piece-of-s*it that you're driving back to the trailer park." He flipped me off and I proceeded to rev the engine to about 4000rpm and slowly cruise by him, while letting him feel the pain of the sidepipes (plus, we were under an overpass...so it was really loud.)

Don't get me wrong, I've gotten many, many more compliments, but do you guys get these kinds of insults, or do I just look like an a$$hole??

Russ
Old 10-24-2003, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

LOL, the 'trailer park' was the perfect topper Russ.
Just be secure in the knowledge that the a-hole in the P/U would trade in an instant. I've only had a couple rides (my FFR is on order) but we got a thumbs up on the first ride about 3 seconds out of the driveway from my neighbour and his buddy who were just pulling up in a '66 Stang vert. The second ride I was just amazed, bikers, lowriders, SUVs, a chopped '50s Chebbie, everyone but a couple ricers (who gave sideways glances but wouldn't look directly at the car) gave big smiles and thumbs ups!
Old 10-24-2003, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EverettMorrison,408W,Jag rear, toploader
Not Ranked     

One of the things I've come to realize from my experiences is that you just don't know what to expect. It isn't just the sun that makes you thick skinned in these cars.

The first comment I got that really set me back was when I was stopped in traffic and a guy on a bicycle asks me "is your penis really that small". I couldn't respond at all. It just happened too fast. And NO its not.

One time I was cruising by the beach and there was a Holiday Inn with a bunch of outside chairs where people were eating lunch. As I go by some kid jumps up and starts yelling "kit car, kit car". I felt like going back and congratulating him for recognizing it wasn't real and then punching him in the mouth for yelling at me.

Then there's the flip side of the coin when I was merging onto the interstate at a rather brisk rate and this Explorer was trying to catch up to me to look over the car. We're moving along pretty well and all of a sudden traffic slows quickly. He's looking at my car and doesn't notice traffic. He hits his brakes, goes right, then makes an instant 90 degree left turn directly into the center divider of the interstate and hits it head on.

Most of my rides now I try to enjoy back roads.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jopper, my intution would have had me respond: "WTF do you care about the size of my penis for?"
Old 10-24-2003, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SC Unique
Not Ranked     

Russ you did the right thing. (Nothing)

Most of the people that yell these statements out the window are really just trying to cough up what they have caught in their throat.

When they see you in the most awesome car the world has ever known it literally rips their manhood off and shoves it down their throat.

What else can they do???

Or you could say " Funny.... your girlfriend kept saying I was unreal last night too"

Brent
Kabous likes this.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Russ,
To the first clown you could've responded, "Can' t afford another real one!

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 10-24-2003, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

It may be short, but because of the car I get to use it much more often................
cobrashock
Old 10-24-2003, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jopper, that is an interesting comment you mentioned by the bike rider. In all my days a stranger has never been that disrespectful to me. Am at a loss to explain.

I wouldn'r care what I was driving, if someone said that to me, I would most certainly park the vehicle in an opportune spot and then get out and beat the snot out of the guy--for certain.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by jopper

The first comment I got that really set me back was when I was stopped in traffic and a guy on a bicycle asks me "is your penis really that small". I couldn't respond at all. It just happened too fast. And NO its not.
Jopper:
I had to laugh at that one. Not too bad for some bicycle-riding, tree-hugging little punk. If somebody said that to me, I'd have to immediately revert to when I was 14, and respond, "You're mom didn't seem to think so..."

You guys are great. Keep the responses coming!

Russ
Old 10-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CACC Member. Power Performance, 2X4's, 428
Not Ranked     

One of our clubmembers was driving to breakfast, when I redneck in a PU hollared at him that he drove like a fag. Fortunetly for the PU driver, he turned off the road...........the "fag" driving the cobra just got out of the SEALS!
Larry
Old 10-24-2003, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 427 Comp Cobra
Not Ranked     

Stopped at a light a couple weeks ago and a old Dodge PU is next to me. The guy yells over, "I got an old fat wife that I'll trade ya for the car. I just smiled and said "no deal". He yells back, "You don't understand, she is a real good cook!" I starting laughing so hard when the light turned I stalled my ride.
Hammer65 likes this.
Charleston AFB SC

Load Clear!