Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2003, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #676, 428SCJ (2x4), TKOII
Not Ranked     
Question Dipstick for Aviaid oil pan?

I need a dipstick & tube for an Aviaid oilpan. Anyone know where I can find one?

"There are 10 types of people out there....the ones that understand binary and the zeros that don't."
Old 12-26-2003, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, Pond Aluminum 482FE
Not Ranked     

Hi Joe A,

Gessford has them...in fact, I have one brand new still in the plastic from Gessford. Let me know if you're interested - I'd have to look at the receipt to see what I paid for it. But I'd cut you a deal.

Joe

nosyjoe@hotmail.com
Old 12-27-2003, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Any 427 dipstick will work. The dipstick hole is not changed by changing pans. The hole you are looking at (small hole right side of the pan) Is a hold over from the Le Mans cars oil return line.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't, couldn't or might not want to put a dipstick there. Most people just plug them permanantly or install a return line there.

You may want to fill your Aviaid pan to specified capacity and mark the current dipstick. Run the engine for a little while to purge the oil lines, fill the filter and then recheck the level. you may need to do this a few times to get the filter(s) completely full. recheck the level, replace the oil in the filter to the former level and make that the full line.

www.aviaid.com

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Last edited by SCOBRAC; 12-27-2003 at 12:53 PM..
Old 12-27-2003, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK...I'm confused. I guess I don't know where the original tube goes The only place I can guess in near the filter adapter? I don't have a filter adapter yet so I don't know how many of those little holes in the lock it covers up. The only one I can guess is the dipstick hole hits my windage tray so I don't see how I can use it.

Seems the Gessford site makes reference to a plug for the original dipstick hole when using Aviaid style pans. I better email George.

"There are 10 types of people out there....the ones that understand binary and the zeros that don't."
Old 12-27-2003, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Joe A,

If you use a dipstick in the Aviaid pan, you have to plug the hole in the block where a typical FE would normally have a dipstick (left side). There are two tubes on the front right side of your Aviaid pan, approx 2" long. The dipstick Gessford sells goes in the frontmost one, and then you'll have to cap off the one behind it. Gessford sells the cap, also. And yes, you'll have to drill a hole in your windage tray to make way for the dipstick.

All of this was already done on my engine before I received it, so I hope I'm right on all of the details. I do know that some prefer to use the original location and dipstick because the Aviaid setup up as I've described it puts it right behind the alternator. You also will have to make a little support bracket to secure it, but that's no big deal. Hope this helps.

Joe
Old 12-27-2003, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah...looks like I need to plug the original hole or drill the windage tray. Since my pan is already installed...I'm not going to drill the windage tray. I'll plug the hole and use the front (small)stem on the pan for a dipstick.

I uploaded a pic in my gallery if anyone wants to see the stems on the pan we are discussing.

If anyone needs an original FE dipstick (brand new) let me know.

Last edited by joea; 12-27-2003 at 06:55 PM..
Old 12-27-2003, 07:09 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

The small 3/8 pipe sticking up in front is for the dipstick. Use a Big Block Chevy (I am not kidding) dipstick and cut to length. You can put the two tubes together using a short piece of fuel line and hose clamps. Use the upper bolt on the water pump to bolt down the dipstick. The stock dip stick reading will be very close. Fill the pan with 9 qts of oil and check and mark as needed. The rear 3/4 inch line is an oil return line from the puke tank. The dip stick hole by the oil filter pad will need to be blocked. If you can't tap and plug it, you can machine a plug to press fit in and hammer it in. Of course, in an emergancy a bolt slathered with silicone will work for a while.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:15 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Also, you should only have to drill for the windage tray if you are using the stock location for the dip stick. The windage tray is sandwiched between the block and the oil pan. That is why two oil pan gaskets are required to install an Aviad pan. If you use the dip stick hole that goes into the wing of the pan you are way below the windage tray and will have no problems. Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

As usual, Thomas beat me to it... Always seems to be ahead of me on the technical issues.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 12-28-2003, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

I agree with all that Tom suggests for the dipstick fix.

However, I have found that the cleanest solution for plugging your original dipstick hole is to purchase a 3/8" oil gallery plug (looks like a miniature freeze plug, and costs about .50 cents) and, using a dab of silicone around the edges, tap it in using the appropriate size drift. There is a slight ledge in the hole that the plug bottoms on, and prevents it from falling into the engine.

Have done several this way, all with positive results.

Bud
Old 12-28-2003, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Joe A,

Here's a detail shot of my setup. Note bracket made to secure to block. Also, that cap on the bigger "stem" is $18 from Gessford.

Joe

Old 12-28-2003, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

SPF1609

Nice mounting for the dip stick. We usually just bolt the dipstick to the water pump.

We use the tube that you have covered up with the cap for the oil drain return line from the oil vapor seperation tank on the firewall.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."