23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2004, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: sold a SPF
Not Ranked     
Default SUPERFORMANCE first drive coming soon - advice needed!

I'm about 5 - 6 weeks away from my first Superformance Cobra drive. I can't wait

Can you share any unique characteristics to driving a cobra. I have only been out for a total of 20 minutes on 3 separate occasions. (Dynamic Motorsport's Superformance test cobra). I want to avoid reinventing the wheel so to speak? ex. careful on wet roads...never do this....etc.

Also, is there any must have accessories that I should buy? Does one really need a fire extinguisher? Is it more for show? I did get 4 point safety harnesses and will purchase a car cover...anything else?..Still contemplating a fuel cell.

Lastly, how does one handle a flat tire scenario especially on a Sunday joy ride in the middle of no where?

I would appreciate all of your advice.

Regards,
Old 01-20-2004, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1717, Roush 402r, 525hp, 500lbs at the crank
Not Ranked     

Well, I guess I will answer a question with a question, what kind of driving do you do? as with any of these cars remember that they are way over powered and the rear end can come around easily. I have just over 1,000 mi. on my spf, I decided to go with 17" wheels as handling is very high on my list. Good rubber makes all the difference. I think the most important thing is to take it easy the first 500-1000 miles, get used to the car. Remember it is a snake, it does bite.

Matt
Old 01-20-2004, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I should have stated I was going to use this as a cruiser.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Drive slowly at first, make sure the brakes work, and carry your cell phone.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

the best thing to do is to talk with the Rosen's about your needs, and like before, take it easy at first, never be abrupt with the throttle.

If you never work on your own car, you probably don't need an extinguisher, but if you ever have a fuel leak, it is nice to have around. I do suggest a good extinguisher. Some of us carry a small compressor in the trunk, so we can air up a low or leaking tire, to limp home. Your car will make a lot of power on the cold winter days, tires are cold, the road hard, so be extra careful,

have fun,
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 01-20-2004, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

P.S. Don't know what you have under the hood, but by all means, don't hammer it the first time you have a nice flat, open stretch of road....work up slowly, until you understand what a short, wheel base and high HP feels like.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1686 Engine 418 stroker
Not Ranked     

Rick,

I agree with all the posts so far. I also live in the Cincinnati area and would be glad to talk with you live. I have the same set up as you have ordered and have had my car since July of '03. Great fun but respect the power! E-mail me at pwilkes@cinci.rr.com and I'll send you my phone number. Maybe we can get together and cruise a little.

Regards,

Phil
Old 01-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

At first drive it as if was worth 10x what you paid for it. And drive like the proverbial "old lady". It can get away from you in a heartbeat if you aren't totally focused. Have respect for it's speed and handling.

Best advise-- use your head, be smart, learn how the car handles, and you handle it---and before you buy any Tricks or Goodies for the car invest money& time in a quality driving school--best money my wife and I invested when we bought our SPF.

I'd go with the fuel cell and extingusher, floor mats if they aren't standard now, and never cover the car soon after you have driven or the pipes will melt it--really a bummer--VOE.

Above all have fun.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm about 5 - 6 weeks away from my first Superformance Cobra drive. I can't wait

Can you share any unique characteristics to driving a cobra. I have only been out for a total of 20 minutes on 3 separate occasions. (Dynamic Motorsport's Superformance test cobra). I want to avoid reinventing the wheel so to speak? ex. careful on wet roads...never do this....etc.

Also, is there any must have accessories that I should buy? Does one really need a fire extinguisher? Is it more for show? I did get 4 point safety harnesses and will purchase a car cover...anything else?..Still contemplating a fuel cell.

Lastly, how does one handle a flat tire scenario especially on a Sunday joy ride in the middle of no where?

Congratulations on your new car!!
I've had SP01735 for 2 months now and I have a House of Cobras 418 also.

Stay off of wet roads....too much clean up after the drive.! Secondly, with over 500 hp,. you'll want to get very familaiar with the motor and car before you go banging gears. Remember, respect, respect, respect. I took a friend out for a ride a few weeks ago and got shifter happy at red line and banged 2nd gear. Serious case of the rear end wanting to come around. Dip in to the throttle a little slower.

Keep a fire extinguiser with you. Last thing you want to witness is your car melting away as you stand by watching. Finally, keep a cell phone and a list of club memebers that you may have the luxury of calling for help if you should break down. Buy some aerosol flat fix and a 12 volt tire pump and keep in the trunk. Oh, make sure your wife or significant other is well equipped with 12 volt heat blanket, a hat that stays on. Enjoy!
Old 01-20-2004, 07:06 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Always remember the Golden Rule:
A snake by nature will always be a snake and it WILL bite you when you least expect it and when you think you understand it.

There are very few of us that haven't had the adrenaline jetison from our fingernails as the car we thought we mastered, taught us a new lesson.

Listen to the above advice from everyone and make it your holy grail.

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 01-20-2004, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ricky, this is no different than first driving any new car. Look for the obvious; leaks, pulling to one side while brakeing or driving, unusual noise, etc. I would also have the softtop installed by Dynamic. Now I have to gig you a little. You question the value of the fire extinguisher, but in our previous emails you felt the need for the Lakewood bellhousing. In our cars, there has been more use of the fe than the explosion proof bellhousing or fuel cell. Any vinue that would require the bh or fc would not allow the cobra anyway due to the roll bars.
Richard
Memphis
Old 01-20-2004, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

NEVER NEVER NEVER accelerate abruptly while turning from a complete stop, such as a stop sign. The car will swap ends before you can even imagine it.

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I think it would be worthwhile to find a nice big open parking lot... and understand how the car responds to quicker movements -

like braking (it will likely stall if it is set up with a Holley),

sharp turns (figure out what works without rubbing the tires on the frame)

understand if the car 'torque steers' when you goose it a bit, nothing more disapointing than the unexpected lane change when you decide to play...

after you are more comfortable, it is worthwhile to go back to the big empty parking lot and learn to feel the point at which over/understeer occurs. Maybe a few 'skid pad circles' to help you understand how the car feels before it starts to get away from you!

last but not least (and most important) - enjoy the car, try not to grin all the time, avoid the temptation to blow the doors off everyone that 'pimps' you at a traffic light (you'll be amazed how many folks want to play) - and don't do anything stupid! It gets expensive or deadly in a hurry!
Old 01-20-2004, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Plenty of good advice already here. I think the main thing to stress is to do your best to "get to know" the power of your car (a little at a time!). Your 418 will be a lot different than the 351 you drove at Dynamic (do they still use the white car?). What cam did you opt for in Eric's engine? He's one of the BEST, and you will enjoy the car for a long time (as long as you're careful!). Get some "Fix-a-flat" for the glove box, and keep a cell phone on you. A car cover is a must.........make sure it's clean before you cover it though....and don't melt the cover on the pipes. If it's not too late, I would get the battery kill switch and the radiator screen. Floor mats are a must too (IMO).
Other than that, just BE CAREFUL. Go to an empty parking lot and get used to what you have. 500HP + 90 inch wheelbase = TROUBLE if you aren't careful. ........It can also = FUN once you get to know it better!
Old 01-21-2004, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Hi all

Just get out and get plenty of miles under your belt. You will find that you will start to test the cars and your capabilities.

I have spun the car a few times but on quite country roads.

I'm looking forward to club track days.

Cheers

Bernie

Bernie Knight
Mt. Gambier South Australia

Out cruising in the sun..
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 01-21-2004, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great Suff!

Thank you for sharing all of your thoughts. I know I would have melted the cover on the side pipes for sure! The parking lot drills and driving course recommendation are great ideas.

I think my wife wants this Cobra more than me..go figure... and I need to make 110% certain she as well as myself repsect and are prepared to safely handle the short wheel base and high H.P.

Additionally, I will get a can of fix a flat , compressor and have my cell phone ready. I will even throw in some duct tape for good measure!

Someone asked what cam I selected on Eric's 418 stroker. I have not selected one yet...I am leaning towards the mild one to have a smoother idle and better cold start up. Any advice?

Thanks again,
Old 01-21-2004, 07:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First, congratulations! I've got a PE-built 408 in SPF1274 and live in Milford, so don't be shy! There's a nice group of SPF and other cobra folks around the area.

Second, go to driving school. There are good threads on this website about it. I went to Bondurant before taking delivery and it was an excellent investment.

Third, go to the track with the car. Go to secondstrike website, go to clubcranky, and see additional threads here. Its the right place to find out your car's performance envelope. Don't guess.

Fourth, regarding cam, tell Eric how you want to drive, what you want it to do, sound, and let him choose it for you. As you put in more time, you may want to change the engine's characteristics, and that's par for the course. If you're not a true motorhead, telling Eric the experience you want is better than stipulating parts.

Finally, drive the heck out of it as much as you can. It was built to be driven and enjoyed and it's a huge gift to yourself. I will always be grateful to the generosity of the folks on clubcobra, the SPFers, crankoids, Oltoff's, and folks at Dynamic and Performance Engineering for this unexpected hobby and new passion.

OK, really, finally: ENJOY!!
Old 01-21-2004, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think in the long run, you're likely to be happier with the milder, more reliable, and hence more driveable engine in a "cruiser," as you said would be it's main use. Heck, you're still going to have excess HP for the weight you're carrying in 99% of all applications.

I've been lucky with my SO, which is set up on the mild side, and the more radical engines seem to be out of the car more routinely. Of course, that often has a lot to do with how those wanting such engines use them.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You have had some good advice. Drive carefully and grow into the ca. Learn it characteristics a little at a time. Do nothing abrupt. You have lots of throttle control available. When you get the chance, go to a good high performance driving school and drive a car on its edges safely.

I got the fuel cell. Even if I drove my SPF as a cruiser, I would not trust the trucks, SUVs and others hitting me in the rear when I stop. I feel safer that the fuel will not catch on fire as easily if I get hit in the rear. Hopefully you also will never have to use the fire estinguisher. Even so, my insurance agent was glad to see that my car had one. It is not a mistake to get too much, but it is a mistake to skimp, especially on an safety related item in the car. I also got the 5-point lap belts. You may need them if you go to an SCCA or other driver school. Some schools require complete lap belts for driver and instructor. The sub-belt also keep the lap belt around the hips and not working its way up to the soft parts of the body. You get use to it and it becomes automatic. It also impresses anyone that rides with you. It speaks "race car" while adding safety. Enjoy your car.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Rick:

Lots of good advice. This car is so much fun to drive that you don't have to hammer it all the time. Use the break-in time to get used to the car and don't let anyone goad you into anything foolish at the stop light. Let 'em posture all they want: You KNOW you can whip their a$$! If the little voice says, "This might be a bad idea": Listen!

I have Eric's 499 HP 418 and I think it's the perfect motor for me. I drove the car 10,000 miles in about 9 months last year and am still happy with my choice. The car starts easily and can be driven after a few minutes' warmup. It has plenty of torque and will idle through town at 30 MPH in 4th gear (TKO), then accelerate away smoothly. Other cars with more rumpity cams may sound cooler when they idle through the parking lot at shows, but this is a really nice car to live with if you're actually going to drive it and it's still PLENTY FAST! I did get the fuel cell, as I wanted the extra security in the event of a rear-end impact and I also installed the sub belts on the harnesses.

Congratulations. You're going to love your car!

Lowell