12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2004, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1949, Color Black & Gold, Keith Craft 427/482 cubic inch Genisis sideoiler, 637 HP, Tremec 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Question Cobra Kits

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of purchasing my first cobra kit. I have been looking hard at FFR and Era. Big difference between the two. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two companies and their kits? If so, I would appreciate hearing your comments about either of them. I have always loved the car and I am looking forward to getting started in the build process. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tex Allen
Old 01-24-2004, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA with Southern Automotive 351 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Tex,

You need to go to:

http://www.ffcobra.com

to learn about the FFR cars.

As you said BIG difference between FFR and ERA. Not only is the FFR much less expensive initially, it is much easier to get a kit. ERA has quite a long waiting list and the finished car will cost you considerably more than the FFR.

I looked at ERA, Unique, Superformance and others before deciding upon my FFR Spec Racer. I liked the strength of the chassis in the FFR better than any other kit that I looked at. I almost bought a Unique 289 FIA pallet car, but
decided that I wanted to run the car in competition and the FFR Spec Racer was the right car for me.

If I had the money I would certainly consider buying a Kirkham Hybird as it can be raced if vintage events if properly set up by the vintage rules.

Hope this just doesn't add to your confusion about which car to buy, but you have to decide what you are going to use the car for and how much money do you want to spend. That will definitely help you decide.

Terry
Old 01-24-2004, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Welcome Tex - I suggest you start by becoming familiar with the search function (top right corner) on Club Cobra - there is an infinite library of information to answer your basic question.

The ERA and Factory Five cars are different concepts - FF5's basic idea is donor build using an '88-93 Mustang parts car. An ERA is essentially a factory built car that is "faithful to the original in the areas you can see, and updated in the areas you can't see".

There are also a number of other manufacturers that will have your head spinning before you decide which way to go - be sure to look at Unique Motorcars, as one other example.

Factory Five owners also have their own active web site - http://www.ffcobra.com/.

Good luck, take your time, and have fun!

Bruce

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 01-24-2004, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3243. 5.0 (for now), 5-spd.
Not Ranked     

Tex,

The other posters are correct in what they said about the FFR. It is a very easy kit to build. There are lots of little simple tasks to complete and a very thick assembly manual to help out.

The best help on an FFR build really comes from the FFCobra forum. There are posts on every aspect of the build, most with accompaning photos.

It has a chassis design that is probably closer to the originals than most of the other cars, and uses aluminum for all of the interior panels.

The fiberglass body "rests" on the chassis and is not an integral (structural) part of the "frame design". In fact the FFR can be driven with the body off. If you read some of the posts on FFCobra and see the term "go cart ride" that is the initial drive with the body off but the car otherwise complete.

The basic concept for the FFR is a Mustang Doner Car. This makes the build cheaper and limits your trips to the parts store as well as your acquaintances with your local UPS driver, but there are lots of FFR cars that were built with non donor " all new" parts.

It is your choice. Go the way your resources will permit.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1949, Color Black & Gold, Keith Craft 427/482 cubic inch Genisis sideoiler, 637 HP, Tremec 5 speed.
Not Ranked     

Thanks to everyone for your response. I am looking forward to others and their opinions as well. Should have mentioned originally my plans for the car. My plans with the completed car are to use it for street only, no plans for official racing. Street cruising & car club meets, that sort of thing. I would also like to build the car without a donor and would definitely like top build a big block car. Considering the 428, due to it's availibility over the original 427. Any thoughts on this?

You guys are correct. I have alot more research to do about the different kit companies. I liked the FFR cars, but probably leaning a little more towards the ERA car, but man is it pricey!!!! Both companies build a beautiful and well engineered car. I will look into Unique next.

Thanks everyone,

Tex
Old 01-25-2004, 06:28 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Tex,

Before you decide on a kit, you must first decide on a budget (add 20% on to your initial estimates). Once you have done that, you can then decide what you can, and cannot afford to build.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-25-2004, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tex,
There are so many kits out their just depends on features price and originallity. I looked for 2 years before I purchase and would be glad to discuss my opinions with you just e-mail me your phone # and I will e-mail you my #, E-mail is tpumpelly@woh.rr.com
In the price range of the ERA look at the Kirkham(more $) and supper performance. Unique and even Midstates are a nice in between ERA and FFR. Shell valley, A & C, B & B and many others are all nice cars for there own reasons. Best advise I can give is do not get rushed and decide on just what things are important to you ex. drivability, originality, price, staight axel, IRS, build yourself or a drivable car or something inbetween like a turn key minus.
Engine wise I have both a 428 and a 427 and I lke them both for their own things as well. 427so has a better oiling system so it is easier to make live with all out HP but if diveability and 450 to 500 hp are your thing and less expense the 428 is awsome. 427 parts are not hard to find anymore (with all the new parts being made) they are just expensive.
My $.02 worth
Doc
Old 01-25-2004, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tex - from ERA's web site - everything you want to know about pros and cons of the 427 vs 428.

http://www.erareplicas.com/engines.htm#engines

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 01-25-2004, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

like Bill said.. first , how much are you gonna spend...
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 01-25-2004, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter with a 4.6 supercharged
Not Ranked     

Tex,

In a word research.
Do a lot of it. No matter what car you think you like call the manufacture and get a list of customers in your area. Call them and ask what kind of problems they had and if the car was as nice as the manufacture says it is. Get a list of builders that have built the cars and see what they have to say about the brand you think you want. We have built cars from different manufactures and all have some good and bad points.
The most important thing is to be sure you can afford the car you want. Nothing like running out of cash before you finish and the car is just sitting in the garage pissing off you and the wife. That nagging "When is it going to be done" starts a slow burn.
Find some owner that will let you ride in or test drive his car to see if it is what you want. Go to the shows and talk to lots of owners about the cars and the manufacture. Ask questions like "How long did you have to wait for your kit? Was it complete? Were extra parts easy to get? How was the customer service? Did they call back quickly or did you always have to call them?"
All of these things can make the difference between a great kit car experience and a BIG headache.

Bruce Edwards
Gemini Motorcars
Old 01-25-2004, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again guys. I am learning a lot about the Cobra and the kits, especially having never built one before and also been a while since I worked on cars period. Getting the bug again, BAD!!!! Hard not to get in a rush, but will take your advice to research and evaluate everything possible.

I think that I read everything that there is to read about FFR and ERA, even spoke with the ERA people the other day. Also, read the entire testimonial of the guy that posted his entire day by day experience with them and the car, I was impressed. As much as I am sold so far on ERA, I am afraid that they will be beyond my budget. I haven't actually sat down and devised a budget yet, kinda been thinking of a rough number though, the more I learn about the cars. The guy with the posted story in ERA had sort of the same idea as I, with trying to stay as original as possible and also going with the 427so. I believe he finally got the car completed for just under 50K. Considerably more than I was thinking about.

I will look into the other companies that you guys have mentioned ASAP. I may also try and contact some of you off of the forum for more help. While I am continuing the research with the kit companies, I may try and start rounding up parts for whatever kit I should choose. ie: motor / motor parts / trans etc.. I have a lot to learn and will needs lots of help.

Thanks again,

Tex
Old 01-25-2004, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

Tex,if you decide on a car you like,but are still unsure of all of the details,some of the companies will allow you to defer delivery with a modest deposit.This has the added benefit of allowing you more time to save to get exactly the car you really want.I ordered my ERA with a delivery date of Summer'05,which may seem a long wait but the months are flying by as I bust booty to earn the cash to make this dream come true.My goal is to have it completely paid for on delivery without having to borrow a dime!Some of the companies will refund all your deposit up until build begins,and hold the price too!(I know ERA will)Just something to think about if you don't have to have your car immediately,but still want to feel like you are in the game.

Gary
Old 01-26-2004, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info Gary. I didn't realize you could do that with ERA. May I ask how you finalized your decision with ERA? There are so many companies that sell a very kits out there, as you are well aware. Some middle range and some very upper end with prices and attention to detail and authenticity. Still trying to decide exactly what I want and what I am willing to pay for it. I can relate with you, there is still much saving to be done.

Thanks again.

Tex
Old 01-26-2004, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #101, 342 stroker
Not Ranked     

Tex,
I like you wanted a car for street/club events, not all out racing. I also didn't want the donor car route. Look very closely at the Unique Deluxe Pallet Kit. Excellent company with an excellent product at a fair cost. Also look at Backdraft Racing (I just bought mine). I decided to go turnkey minus because I couldn't finish the kit for the same price as the Backdraft. I always liked Superformance, but couldn't afford it. The Superformance is a little nicer than Backdraft, but not $10K nicer. Also decide if you want live axle or IRS. Kits like B&B, Shell Valley, Team-C offer complete kits with live axle. Unique has a Jag IRS. Also decide on Rear Disc vs. Drum if you go live axle. When you add it all up, you will spend more than you planned on, just accept it! If you want to build a car, have IRS, 4 wheel disc brakes, & Big Block capability, it will be hard to beat the Unique Deluxe Pallet Kit. If you go live axle, B&B, Shell Valley, Midstates, Team-C, A&C are all contenders. As of yet Backdraft does not have a big block option if you go Turn Key Minus.
After all I learned over the last year, being involved with the local Cobra Club, I would even take a serious look at the donor car/FFR option today. I originally didn't want the donor car thing due to lack of knowledge/understanding of the kit and the process. You can save a ton of money building a FFR by going stock with donor parts, or you can upgrade and not use donor parts and still be less than a lot of kits. They really do make a quality kit.
I see you are in TX. Carlisle, PA isn't close, but in May they have the annual Kit car show. You can spend a weekend kicking the tires of each manufacturer and meet the people behind the products all under one roof. If you can wait until May to make a decision, it is well worth the trip. The cost of the trip could save you thousands.

Good luck with your decisions
Old 01-26-2004, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info tfarhood. This is all very useful information. You have not the only to mention the kit car show coming up and I am certainly thinking of going. I think that you are right, I think that it will help resolve a lot of questions I have about the kits.

Thanks, Again,

Tex
Old 01-26-2004, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Yes, Get up close & personal with as many cars as you can. There is a big difference between a FFR & an ERA, but if that is your range "Unique" is a lot closer to you & may be a great option. I personally would recomend ERA as an accurate, high quality car with a great reputation. That is why I went with them. On the other hand, there are many very satisfied FFR customers out there too.

A few things to look at are; What are you wanting to get out of the car, Resale Value, Total cost to build, Donor car vs Factory susp.

Good Luck & take your time gathering information. There is a lot of info out there & many differences between the cars
Old 01-26-2004, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

Tex,there were many factors that helped me decide to go ERA.I spent a lot of time on the ERA website,looking at all the aspects of the car.I was very interested in authenticity,but really liked the chassis of the ERA.I plan on mostly using my car to explore the backroads of the Sierra Nevada,many of which are far from smooth.The ERA is designed for just this kind of driving,with 6"+of suspension travel.I really liked the way the body was mounted to the chassis(bonded and rivited,and completely unstressed).I fell in love with the contours of the body,especially the rear flanks.You will find as you look over the many cars you will see some subtle differences in that area.I liked the exclusivity of owning an ERA.There simply are not that many out there!I think they are approaching 700 S/C models now.Most of all I liked the people!Don't get me wrong on this,because every one of the companies I contacted made me feel very welcome-there are a lot of really great folks building and selling Cobras,as many on this site will attest to.ERA made me feel like I was immediately a part of their family,always have time to talk,and want to build me the perfect car,just as I want it.They were willing to go out their way to accomodate my timetable,and offer a refundable deposit,so you simply can't lose.Last but not least,the owners I have spoken to love their cars,and can't say enough good things about them and ERA.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft racing 302 ford
Not Ranked     

picking up my backdraft on 2/04/04 did a lot of looking on the internet and car shows before i desided on backdraft. one reason was the body, i was in the glass busness for years building boat and the glass work looks good there a lot of good kits out there and being new to kit cars this seem to work for me I know it's hard to make up your mind it was for me a lot of nice cars out there ED