Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Curt Scott (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/50004-curt-scott.html)

chip_127 02-01-2004 06:01 PM

Curt Scott

Has anyone read the "Complete Guide to Cobra Replicas"? A fellow by the name of Curt Scott had a two page article in it saying some really bad things about Factory Five. I was just wondering why he has it out for FF and why he would have attacked them like he did... He also stated that FF would no longer be in the "guide" like other manufacturers.
Anyone have any input on this???

mrmustang 02-01-2004 06:05 PM

Chip, old news, very old news.

G.R. 02-01-2004 06:33 PM

When Curt published that guide several years ago FFR had some serious issues with quality control, timely delivery, horrendous issues of kits being shipped minus parts and long waits for back-ordered or missing parts to be delivered. Also, it was often impossible to contact someone "live"regarding your problems with your build. Among a myraid of other things.

There has been a rash of "kit car" builders over the years that really tarnished the "kit car" image and business. Curt blew the whistle on these companies. Unfortunately at the time FFR made " promises" to customers complaints , and were very slow in delivery, or correction. Sort of a hodge-podge of things going wrong, etc. that left a sour taste for many customers.

Curt gave them a chance, nothing changed from FFR, he dropped them from advertising and gave them a critical write-up.
FFR has since gotten their act together and produce a quality car with a very loyal following, available at a very affordable price.

The "Complete Guide to Cobra Replicas" 3rd edition is 4-5 years old or so--Curt has not published a new one since, and I'm sure if he did he would give FFR another chance, and kudos for overcoming there problems

G.R. 02-01-2004 06:38 PM

Hey Bill he is relatively new here and he's asked a legit question
and you give him "old news, very old news"--sheesh
Put yourself in his shoes ,bud, how's he to know?
Arrogant, mrmustang, arrogant!

Turk 02-01-2004 08:07 PM

When Curt Scott published the book, that may very well been the only source of information available on Cobras.
What was he supposed to do, speak of FFR and ERA as favorably.

He might have done them a favor, and the resulting product from FFR is not the same today as it was then.

I have seen Curt slammed for his efforts with that book (if youu can call it that). Considering, this forum and internet was not around, your only source for such cars was either his book or the back pages of magazines.

TURK

Tom T. 02-01-2004 08:29 PM

Yup, Factory Five's problems were so bad that people kept buying and building the company's cars in increasing numbers, year after year after year. In spite of those problems, some of which were blown ridiculously out of proportion, and many of which were carped about long after they'd been addressed, the Smith brothers still had to fight the enthusiasts who wanted their product off with a stick. They built a better mouse trap, or, filled a need that no one before had filled, and grew at a fantastic pace. They had trouble keeping up with that growth for awhile, but it does seem the worst of the growing pains is past.

mrmustang 02-01-2004 08:39 PM

Yet if you look, he asked the same question in the FFR forum as well, where I spent a little more to explain the bad blood, and suggested he do a search of the archives on the subject.

Talk about being arrogant. GR you seem to stir the pot far more than myself. Look at your response to mine and think about that one as you stare in the mirror. POT KETTLE BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill S.

Quote:

Originally posted by G.R.

Hey Bill he is relatively new here and he's asked a legit question
and you give him "old news, very old news"--sheesh
Put yourself in his shoes ,bud, how's he to know?
Arrogant, mrmustang, arrogant!

Jamo 02-01-2004 09:29 PM

Gentlemen...please.

G.R. 02-01-2004 10:03 PM

Ain't life grand-----:LOL:

mrmustang 02-01-2004 10:34 PM

You did use that term loosely didn't you :LOL: :JEKYLHYDE :LOL:

Bill S.

Quote:

Originally posted by Jamo

Gentlemen...please.

Excaliber 02-02-2004 12:02 AM

I hate it when someone posts the SAME thread twice or ever three times in different forums! Makes it confusing as hell to respond.

And I DID respond in the OTHER identical thread! Sheesh.

Ernie

John McMahon 02-02-2004 05:31 AM

Man, I must be living under a rock. All this time, I though he was the heir apparent to the paper towel fortune.

chip_127 02-02-2004 06:59 AM

First of all let me apologize for posting it twice... I would hate to confuse anyone. And thanks for your response G.R. I kind of thought that may have been the case. Everyone I have talked to at FFCobra.com seems happy with their car.

rlearp 02-02-2004 09:40 AM

Of course everyone at FFRCobra.com likes their Cobra. It'd be like going to a pond and asking the ducks there if they liked water!!! ;-)

Nothing implied by this, it is just, well, the FFRCobra.com site is for FFR Cobras.

Excaliber 02-02-2004 09:51 AM

rlearp......you think??? :D

Ernie

chip_127 02-02-2004 09:56 AM

LOL..... Looks like I opened a can of worms.

zipzip 02-02-2004 10:39 AM

Chip,

Don't take it so hard...Even with my "puny" post count, I've seen the same question asked over and over (SB vs BB, real/fake, "who's kit is best?", etc, etc). I'm sure the posting "gods" like GR and mrmustang (no I'm not getting any kickbacks from them) mean no harm, but mrmustang does bring up a good point in his own way...SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH first. Many of these duplicate posts could be avoided if a search of prior threads was done first. Maybe a search could be a prerequisite to adding a thread????

It's sorta like if you were in a training type job: every week you got a new bunch of "trainees" and had to do the same thing over and over again, with the same questions, problems, etc. week after week. It's hard to keep the same enthusiasm as the first week, isn't it?

Keep askin' those questions because "there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions" :)

REAL 1 02-02-2004 10:42 AM

Chip: Curt's original Guide to Cobras was informative and useful and probably still is for the newbie. The article regarding FFR is very old. I agree that this critique of the FFR back then probably had something to do with it being improved over the years.

Owners of FFR kits have in general always had good things to say about them. There were some who had some issues in the past but alot of those issues seem to have been eliminated over the years. Are they perfect. No. But nothing is and for the price it is still a good quality kit to build a replica from and they can be built to very high standards.

chip_127 02-02-2004 10:46 AM

Thanks Real1, That is the type of responce I was looking for from this post.
zipzip, I did do a search, but didn't find a lot of info on the subject. Maybe I didn't do it correctly.

Traveller 02-02-2004 12:58 PM

The bottom line to all of this:

Curt hates a perky butt.