28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2004, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Curt Scott

Has anyone read the "Complete Guide to Cobra Replicas"? A fellow by the name of Curt Scott had a two page article in it saying some really bad things about Factory Five. I was just wondering why he has it out for FF and why he would have attacked them like he did... He also stated that FF would no longer be in the "guide" like other manufacturers.
Anyone have any input on this???
Old 02-01-2004, 06:05 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Chip, old news, very old news.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

When Curt published that guide several years ago FFR had some serious issues with quality control, timely delivery, horrendous issues of kits being shipped minus parts and long waits for back-ordered or missing parts to be delivered. Also, it was often impossible to contact someone "live"regarding your problems with your build. Among a myraid of other things.

There has been a rash of "kit car" builders over the years that really tarnished the "kit car" image and business. Curt blew the whistle on these companies. Unfortunately at the time FFR made " promises" to customers complaints , and were very slow in delivery, or correction. Sort of a hodge-podge of things going wrong, etc. that left a sour taste for many customers.

Curt gave them a chance, nothing changed from FFR, he dropped them from advertising and gave them a critical write-up.
FFR has since gotten their act together and produce a quality car with a very loyal following, available at a very affordable price.

The "Complete Guide to Cobra Replicas" 3rd edition is 4-5 years old or so--Curt has not published a new one since, and I'm sure if he did he would give FFR another chance, and kudos for overcoming there problems
Old 02-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Not Ranked     

Hey Bill he is relatively new here and he's asked a legit question
and you give him "old news, very old news"--sheesh
Put yourself in his shoes ,bud, how's he to know?
Arrogant, mrmustang, arrogant!
Old 02-01-2004, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

When Curt Scott published the book, that may very well been the only source of information available on Cobras.
What was he supposed to do, speak of FFR and ERA as favorably.

He might have done them a favor, and the resulting product from FFR is not the same today as it was then.

I have seen Curt slammed for his efforts with that book (if youu can call it that). Considering, this forum and internet was not around, your only source for such cars was either his book or the back pages of magazines.

TURK
Old 02-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yup, Factory Five's problems were so bad that people kept buying and building the company's cars in increasing numbers, year after year after year. In spite of those problems, some of which were blown ridiculously out of proportion, and many of which were carped about long after they'd been addressed, the Smith brothers still had to fight the enthusiasts who wanted their product off with a stick. They built a better mouse trap, or, filled a need that no one before had filled, and grew at a fantastic pace. They had trouble keeping up with that growth for awhile, but it does seem the worst of the growing pains is past.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:39 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Yet if you look, he asked the same question in the FFR forum as well, where I spent a little more to explain the bad blood, and suggested he do a search of the archives on the subject.

Talk about being arrogant. GR you seem to stir the pot far more than myself. Look at your response to mine and think about that one as you stare in the mirror. POT KETTLE BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill S.

Quote:
Originally posted by G.R.

Hey Bill he is relatively new here and he's asked a legit question
and you give him "old news, very old news"--sheesh
Put yourself in his shoes ,bud, how's he to know?
Arrogant, mrmustang, arrogant!
Old 02-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Gentlemen...please.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ain't life grand-----
Old 02-01-2004, 10:34 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Talking

You did use that term loosely didn't you

Bill S.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamo

Gentlemen...please.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I hate it when someone posts the SAME thread twice or ever three times in different forums! Makes it confusing as hell to respond.

And I DID respond in the OTHER identical thread! Sheesh.

Ernie
Old 02-02-2004, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Man, I must be living under a rock. All this time, I though he was the heir apparent to the paper towel fortune.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First of all let me apologize for posting it twice... I would hate to confuse anyone. And thanks for your response G.R. I kind of thought that may have been the case. Everyone I have talked to at FFCobra.com seems happy with their car.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR Lola Spider
Not Ranked     

Of course everyone at FFRCobra.com likes their Cobra. It'd be like going to a pond and asking the ducks there if they liked water!!! ;-)

Nothing implied by this, it is just, well, the FFRCobra.com site is for FFR Cobras.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

rlearp......you think???

Ernie
Old 02-02-2004, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

LOL..... Looks like I opened a can of worms.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates work in progress, personally built 302
Not Ranked     

Chip,

Don't take it so hard...Even with my "puny" post count, I've seen the same question asked over and over (SB vs BB, real/fake, "who's kit is best?", etc, etc). I'm sure the posting "gods" like GR and mrmustang (no I'm not getting any kickbacks from them) mean no harm, but mrmustang does bring up a good point in his own way...SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH first. Many of these duplicate posts could be avoided if a search of prior threads was done first. Maybe a search could be a prerequisite to adding a thread????

It's sorta like if you were in a training type job: every week you got a new bunch of "trainees" and had to do the same thing over and over again, with the same questions, problems, etc. week after week. It's hard to keep the same enthusiasm as the first week, isn't it?

Keep askin' those questions because "there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions"
Old 02-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Chip: Curt's original Guide to Cobras was informative and useful and probably still is for the newbie. The article regarding FFR is very old. I agree that this critique of the FFR back then probably had something to do with it being improved over the years.

Owners of FFR kits have in general always had good things to say about them. There were some who had some issues in the past but alot of those issues seem to have been eliminated over the years. Are they perfect. No. But nothing is and for the price it is still a good quality kit to build a replica from and they can be built to very high standards.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Real1, That is the type of responce I was looking for from this post.
zipzip, I did do a search, but didn't find a lot of info on the subject. Maybe I didn't do it correctly.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, Ford 428 SCJ
Not Ranked     

The bottom line to all of this:

Curt hates a perky butt.