LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2004, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley, 302 ford racing
Not Ranked     
Default Ford Motorsports 302 XB3 Service Manual

hey guys,
I bought a new Ford Race XB3 345HP 302 from the powered by ford guys in Orlando for the SV project. those guys are great and are a Ford Motorsports distributor but they're telling me there is no service manual for the engine. i just can not believe that. i'm from the aircraft industry and the thought of not having a service manual is scarry. does anyone know where i can get any service information on this engine? it has the GT-40 heads and a roller cam. i don;t even know the proper timing for the engine. what about head torque, valve lash, whatever, please help!!!:

outlaw
Old 02-09-2004, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     

Outlaw,

I noticed no one stepped up to the plate on this one, but I think your questions are good and pretty basic.

Anyone with real data please add it, this is meant to be general information gleaned from my own engine builds and the Ford SVO catalogue and a hundred other sources!

They are probably right about manuals...nothing "engine specific" like in the aircraft industry where you can't change the paint on the valve covers without a type certificate...TSO?

Off the top of my head...the engine has HYDRAULIC rollers, not solid rollers...Ford sells a whole series of hot roller cams for different applications...typically they do not NEED to be reset...there may be a Ford procedure for setting the initial clearance on their roller lifters vs normal hydraulics, but it is usually loosen till they click, slowly tighten till they are silent and add about a half turn.

The head torque probably does not NEED to be done again...modern autmotive head gaskets do not typically require retorgueing.

Unless you are removing the heads you don't really need the head torque spec.

The piston aircraft technology is decades old, very anitquated but appropriate for the old materials they use...because of the FAA regulations nothing can be updated without extensive and VERY expensive testing and documentation to earn a TSO...so most aircraft engines are dinosaurs...the tort lawyers have killed general aviation anyway, so there is no market left large enough to rationalize building "state of the art" products.

Some racing special application head gaskets certainly need to be retorqued, but not most of the modern stuff.

The timing figure OUGHT to be available...ball park would be 30-32 degrees...But there SHOULD be recommended figure for that...!

You are on the right track...inform yourself...try to find out the characteristics of the gaskets Ford uses, the lifters, etc. Most of it will not be unusually special...if you are aircraft savvy, common sense and a little research will fill in the blanks.

Call Ford SVO tech line for official info on the engines and parts they sell...they are actually very interested as a rule, proud of their products and that Ford even tries to supply the aftermarket hi-performance market.

Hopefully some guys will weigh in here with more information, but I think you will have a pretty good engine...call Ford SVO for the party line on the inital setup.

Pete
ERA 289 #2027
Old 02-11-2004, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

pete,
thanks so much for the reply. i was beginning to wonder if any info at all was available. you are absolutely correct concerning old tecnology in the general aviation arena. i'm just getting back into this hot rod thing, have always wanted a cobra, and could not imagine putting any other engine in a replica other than a ford. i've been real happy with the ford motorsports people/distributors but was amazed that there is no information that i can find concerning the XB3 engine. maybe i'm supposed to just know these things, but during my aviation career if i've learned one thing, you don't guess on torques, timing etc. i appreciate your input and hopefully someone else will wade in here with additional information. at this point i have to assume there is no service manual specific for this engine available. i have located a general rebuild/overhaul manual for the 302 engine,but this of course does not include information on aluminum heads and roller cams. heck, i may be pulling heads, changing the cam, lots of things. just wanted some data. thanks again.
BTW, ford SVO tech line....where do i get that number?

outlaw
Old 02-11-2004, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Outlaw,

I really don't have any specifics....I know that my ARP head studs were torqued at 108 lb-ft. It definitely wouldn't hurt to check them after break-in. Actually you'll find that certain fasteners will loosen after break-in....i.e. intake manifold bolts and header bolts.

Also, on the roller rockers, there isn't really no lash involved. You just turn the engine over until you start to get some good spring tension on that valve, loosen the nut (poly-lock) on the rocker arm, and twist the pushrod while tightening it back...when you can't twist the pushrod anymore, lock it down, and turn it 1/2 a turn...

I only know the timing settings for my engine...so it won't help you any. Some of the other guys will pipe in with the right info.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default SVO tech

Outlaw,

The SVO tech line, (this number is from a 99' SVO catalogue),

810-468-1356.

There is probably a Ford factory manual for ALL the engines,
just not a specific one for your model of engine.

I think compared to the aviation field you will find there is not a lot of discipline in many folks procedures on hot rod engines, lots more ego and opinion than actual facts.

Procedures you learned as an A&P work fine on anything, to a lot of folks they will seem to be overkill, but get good information, double check to minimize opinions where you can, and use your common sense on the rest.

Pete
ERA 289 #2027
Old 02-11-2004, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

I've also been looking into this engine to use as my powerplant. Information is pretty slim & hard to come by. If you get any specifics please post them here so we can have access to them!
Old 02-11-2004, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks for the great response. i had written this great reply with cordial remarks to each person posting, it was rather eloquent and thoughtful and then ...MY STUPID AOL ISP CRAPPED AND I LOST IT ALL......I HATE AOL..............AHHHHH!
Anyway, i want to thank you guys for the posts

pete...between STUPID AOL shutdowns i tried the SVO number you provided, its not good anymore...anybody out there got the SVO tech line, i'd like to have it.

thanks again guys

outlaw
Old 02-11-2004, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 351W Tremec 2004 Cobra SVT Convertible
Not Ranked     

Outlaw
The 2002 Ford Racing Performance Parts Racing Catalog shows a phone number of 586-468-1356 as a Technical Assistance "hot line" for Ford Racing Parts Only. They also list "Helm Publications" for official Ford Motor Company shop manuals and wiring diagrams. The number for Helm Publications is 1-800-782-4356.

There also is listed an address for general inquires and technical questions on Ford Racing products.
Ford Racing Performance Parts
44050 N. Groesbeck Highway
Clinton Township, MI 48036-1108

Hope this helps
hog
Old 02-11-2004, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default SVO catalogue

Outlaw,

Why not just call the local Ford dealer and see if they have a current SVO catalogue in stock.

Try to get the 2004, whatever.

I was just looking though the 99' I have, there are lots of cams specs which tell you the charateristics of the "B" engine pacakge, related parts...you may not ever buy from them, but it is a good jumping off point...probably has current phone #'s, too.

Pete
ERA 289 #2027
Old 02-12-2004, 12:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Somewhere out there

Outlaw,
Might I suggest you find a FORD engine builder locally and lean on his brain...most of the Ford guys will give you any information you would need as far as torque specs and valve stuff...would also check the local mustang club...always got some good knowledge there....getting ready to start on my next project and will rely on established Ford machine shop guys and old Mustang guy for the restoration...good luck and ask a lot of questions there will be somebody willing to help...Ford people are just lthat way!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks again guys, , as usual good tips. i've some good places to start now.
body off tomorrow, gettin on that drive train asap.
moving too slow

outlaw
Old 02-13-2004, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What was your source for the engine? Did you get a good $$$?
Old 02-15-2004, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hey tounge pirate.
as far as price, i bought the engine at powered by ford in orlando, fla. i don't remember exactly but it was about 3200.
i can check my receipt if you want an exact amount. i also bought the tremac 3550 from them , about 1250 i think. good guys at PBF.
the good deal was that ford delevered it for only 60 bucks. i thought that was a pretty good deal

that engine price at the time was about what everyone else was selling the engine for. summit was a little cheaper i think, but i was concerned about the shipping.
hope this helps..

outlaw
Old 02-15-2004, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, that does help. I've been finding that to be about the amount that these engines are going for on average. I have a source locally, I don't like shopping people's prices but I do want to be treated fairly