LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2004, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 fia kmp#325
Not Ranked     
Question Salisbury and Jaguar differentials

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get a little help from anyone on the basic differences between a Salisbury and Jaguar differentials? I have spent the past two nights running Club Cobra searches with different combinations of words and phrases in hopes of finding some kind of match.

Needless to say, I am having a hell of a time finding something that general. What am I missing does anybody know? There are numerous threads on rebuilding and other technical aspects.

Sincerely,

mike
Old 02-10-2004, 06:02 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

The Jaguar diff were made by Salisbury. The diff in the Cobra was also a Salisbury. The only differance between the Jag and the Cobra diff are the mounts. AC cars used Jag diff with a special adapter mounts in the AC MKIV. Salisbury diff can use Dana 44 or Salisbury guts.

Hope this helps
Old 02-10-2004, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Past owner ERA 146, ERA 694 in progress, 428 CJ, toploader
Not Ranked     

When you refer to the Jaguar differentials, do you mean the Cobra era Jags or modern Jags?

There have been some substantial differences over the years in the internals of the Jag diffs from the XKE to XJ6 and XJS such as open vs Power-Lok LSD and ratios that do not interchange, like the open XJ6 2.88.

As Tom says internals are interchangable with Dana 44 but you have to know what you are looking for.

Was there something specific you needed to know?

John
Old 02-10-2004, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33868 Sold. Just "playin' the boards now."
Not Ranked     

First, the Jag rear is Salisbury as previously noted.

I hate to contradict an expert like Tom, but I believe the Salisbury units were made by Spicer for Salisbury to specs similar to the Dana 44 (also made by Spicer)

Although the internals are very similar, there are differences, which prevent a true one for one interchange. The biggest differences are in the ring gear bolts which are larger in the Salisbury unit and in the pinion, which has a slightly different configuration for bearings and depth shimming. The carrier assembly is also different in some details other than ring gear bolts. A Salisbury ring gear will not work with a "44" carrier, without boring out the bolt holes in the carrier.

Now, that said, one can take an entire set of Dana 44 internals and put them in a Salisbury case. You just can't successfully mix the two without doing some jury rigging, such as spacer bushings for the ring gear bolts which is not recommended.

The Jag/Salisbury is the same case through the Series III 1987 models. From there on I don't know. For interchange, if someone wants 3.77 ratio like the S/C's and comp cars presumably had, I doubt one could find the Salisbury gear set new. A 3.73 Dana 44 set-up would have to be used. There are several "bastard" ratios in the Salisbury units that are not available in the Dana units.

I went through this "mixing"exercise with my Jag/Salisbury rear differential when the repair shop opened it up and found that my "builder" had mixed parts in it. Can you believe anyone dumb enough to mix a used ring gear from one rear end with the used pinion from another? Sheesh!

I've never been under a real Cobra to see how the diff is mounted to the chassis, but the Jag actually has a steel cage which holds the entire rear suspension and the cage in turn is fastened to the chassis.

I'd like very much to know how an original Cobra is hooked up if Tom would be so kind as to share that.

My Contemporary had a steel plate with four mounting holes in the center. The diff has female threads and it was simply bolted through from the top. Tough access with the body on. The plate bridged the frame rails across the rear and also acted as part of the mounting for the gas tank if I remember right.

Fill us in Tom....maybe with a picture?

Al

Last edited by A Snake; 02-10-2004 at 09:25 PM..
Old 02-10-2004, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Several
Not Ranked     

I have had GKN (GB) revise the ratios on a few Cobra difs a few years ago. I am given to understand they bought all the Salisbury designs and have sort of taken it over.

The price wasn't awful, but high and they were set up correctly, seemed to me.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington
Old 02-10-2004, 10:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by A Snake

I've never been under a real Cobra to see how the diff is mounted to the chassis, but the Jag actually has a steel cage which holds the entire rear suspension and the cage in turn is fastened to the chassis.

I'd like very much to know how an original Cobra is hooked up if Tom would be so kind as to share that.
Al... not 'original', but as REAL as i can get for you tonite.

Pinion mounts, as shown... "ears" at rear, mount to frame...
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2004, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 fia kmp#325
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the information guys it is enlightening.

I have seen on some options listed with manufacturers, that you can choose from a jag diff or a repro salisbury diff. Not being a a "gear head" I figured there must be a difference between the two, if in fact these were options available.

I must confess, these two options are available with the Kirkham cars, so I figured there must be a difference other than just the aluminum salisbury. This will probably be the first of a many questions, considering I just put my deposit down on a Kirkham 289 for later this year. I sure will need that time to go thru all the other options available to me.

Thanks again for the responses guys it is greatly appreciated. If I had a fraction of the knowledge that some of you guys here, have, I'd be dangerous.

The amount of camaraderie and enthusiasm for this amazing automobile is astounding.

Sincerely,
Mike Giardino