Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2004, 07:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Summit Racing Catalog Cover

The new catalog is out and it has a Cobra on the cover!

Sorry, the news isn't that great, but at 30 degrees in Cleveland, in February... you take what you can get.

- Dan
Old 02-18-2004, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I don't have it yet....what's it look like?
Old 02-18-2004, 08:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My copy is at home, so I'm going on memory... will scan/post later today, but....

Blue maybe blue-ish green, single; double wide roll bar with no down tube. Shot from above at about 45 degree front view.

Sorry, best I can do right now.

- Dan
Old 02-18-2004, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL - TK0600, Electromotive EFI, Keith Craft 408W "standard crate", ~575hp
Send a message via MSN to Texas-Saluki Send a message via Skype™ to Texas-Saluki
Not Ranked     
Default Snake Charmer

Well the guy is in Ohio so he is not driving it much this time of year

I am in Dallas... did I mention it is 65 today. It is days like this I call my friends back in Chicago just to say hi...

Now back to the car..

Based upon the dash it is a West Coast cobra http://www.cobrakit.com

Never can get tired of their website It is not mentioned in the article but to may unique things to the build that are only seen of west coast (again I could be wrong)

It is modified to have a built in convertible top that is kind of different

Yes it is purple and silver.... cool.... I am thinking of grape ape

Details:

Ford racing 514 cc crates
Ford C-6 transmission

Looks like a really nice car.

Any comments from the West Coast guys… and any one know Rick Saccone of Green, Ohio

Later
http://www.thenolands.com

www.txcobraclub.com

Last edited by Texas-Saluki; 02-18-2004 at 12:03 PM..
Old 02-18-2004, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra weber fuel injected 557 C.I.. 800H.P 760LBS. TQ. Magnum T56
Send a message via AIM to MAXVELO
Not Ranked     
Default WEST COAST CAR......

I just went home and got my copy in the mail. It definately is a West Coast car, however he doesnt mention this. He also goes on to say he widened the rear fenders and streached the car 6", UH, I think Vern may have had a hand in those mods. This guy wants all the credit for the car. The only "MODS" I can see he did are the top & he moved the gas cap TO THE WRONG SIDE! I moved my gas cap also but mine is on the passenger side. I didnt like having to lean over the car tio fill up. I also didnt like spilling gas all over the car afterwards. I dont have it with me(mag) but I think he implies that HE tig welded the frame etc. GIVE ME A BREAK! Dont get me wrong It is a beautiful car but dont try to convince everyone that you made it from a scrap pile! I think I also read that he wanted an origional but couldnt find one for less than "just under a mill" please Ive seen origionals for under
$100k. I guess the guy thought he had the only one! If I were Vern, I'd be a little bent! Hell, Im not him and I'm still a little bent!
Old 02-18-2004, 05:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Max;

I'm with you on this one,I read the article twice and looked over the car,the way the article is written it leads you to believe he made the whole thing from scratch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He did "stretch" the frame and "widen" the rear fenders and make a true convertible top (which I DO NOT like),but he also said he had to "remove all the gel coat and rework the entire body and re-gel coat it",come-on gimmie a break,it could not have been that bad...................also noted his remarks about the cost of originals,yea right.............

David
Old 02-18-2004, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL - TK0600, Electromotive EFI, Keith Craft 408W "standard crate", ~575hp
Send a message via MSN to Texas-Saluki Send a message via Skype™ to Texas-Saluki
Not Ranked     

David

Well I am glad I was not the only one that thought the article did not give credit was credit was due....

My thoughts are he provided some details to summit and someone in marketing wrote the article...so maybe some of the details were deleted. But at least they could have given West Coast some credit...

The gel coating comments had me scratching my head also.

www.txcobraclub.com
Old 02-18-2004, 08:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom built Excalibur 351C
Not Ranked     
Default Not so fast...

Before I would attack the owner, I would question the writer / reporter.

I'm been interviewed on numerous occasions and am often surprised how my words have been twisted or was quoted something I never said.

Regardless of the article....it's pretty kool to have your Cobra on the cover of the Summit Catalog!
Old 02-19-2004, 03:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not attacking the owner and I think the owner did a great job with the car,and yes,it is way cooool to have your car on the Summit catalog cover....

I think the article was very poorly written as far as info goes.... Maybe the owner's fault,maybe the writer's fault,I do not know,maybe a little of both, but they should have stated the manufacter of the "kit" and at least given them some credit....He built it "his" way which is what it's all about....

I just found the article very misleading......but I'll still order stuff from Summit.......

David
Old 02-19-2004, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Red w/White Sripes, 427 SO, 4 speed Top Loader
Not Ranked     

Nice car, in my opinion wrong engine, wrong transmission. Maybe you could call this a "Street Rod Cobra". Dont understand moving the Gas Filler to the wrong side. Long way from being a replica of a 1966 427 S/C.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I agree....I think some people aren't aware of the true look of the Cobra...and just see it as a "hot rod." Therefore they start stuffing BBC's and automatics in there....convertible tops...etc....That's the first thing my dad said when I bought my car...."You need to tub the rearend and put some Mickey Thompson slicks under there....narrowed 9"....then you need to put a big block Chevy in there and an automatic with a real high stall...." Yeah Dad. Sure. If you want a street rod, buy a little 32 Ford. If you want a Cobra, build a Cobra. Just my opinion....don't flame me.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

I have to tip my hat to Summit for doing the Cobra cover and the tri-fold article/calendar/poster-ette. This concept is a good one and I hope Summit keeps it up.

However... personally ... in MY opionion (My opionion and 2 cents still does not buy you a coffee), the Cobra shown is not really much to my liking at all. As far as I can see, so may variations have been employed into the composition of this car that it would have to be considered just Cobra-like. I wish he had gone really wild and dropped in a Hemi with a blower and wheely bars and parachute. Take it over the top in to realm of ree-friggin-diculous.

The interior is ghastly. The wheels are bling-bling. Overall it does not appeal to me at all.

Maybe I missed them ...but I bet there are neon lights somewhere under the car.

On the other hand, I you wanted to build a rod, that had a Cobra-ish look... then this is possibly one variant that you could end up with?

To each his own.
I hope the owner is happy with end result of this project.

However, I am in a quandry... Do I include this edition of the Summit catalog in my Cobra bibliography? Hummm?

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker

Last edited by REDSC400; 02-19-2004 at 06:04 AM..
Old 02-19-2004, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Definitely a West Coast.

And definitely a trailer queen.

I bet that car doesn't get 50 miles on it in the next 5 years...
Old 02-19-2004, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 427 Cobra. 427 Side Oiler. Dual Quads.
Not Ranked     

I really like it!

In fact, I don't know if I've seen a Cobra that I don't like. I like the originals, and, I liked Lou's chromeillusion blown drag car.

I know I'm walking on egg shells here, but I like most all classics, street rods, antiques, etc. I feel that each one reflects the individuality of its owner. I view them as moving art.

From the flowing line of an early Auburn Boattail Speedster to the new Ford GT. Each classic has its own uniqueness. (ok to me a Pacer looks like a turtle, but it is unique)

In fact the whole debate on this forum about "original" vs "continuation" vs. who has the best replica kind of puzzles me.

Everything but the originals are a fake, a copy, replica, or whatever else you want to call it.

Whether it is the correct shade of blue or hot pink doesn't matter, it is still a replica.

I can understand some people wanting their car to be as close to the original as possible. But to me, if everyone had the same exact blue cobras with the correct engines, interiors, wheels, etc. Then you would just have a bunch of clones that are exactly the same. That to me, would be extremely boring! Can you imagine a car magazine called "Original Cobra Replicas" in which each car featured would be exactly alike? All very nice clones to the originals but all the same?

It seems many people feel that the only "correct" cobra is what is sitting in their garage.

I don't know why some people that own Cobras look down their noses on any Cobra (especially one that is as nice as the one in Summit).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the original Cobra.

I also really like it when people are not afraid to express their individuality and customize their Cobra replicas putting their own personalities into them.

Maybe these people need their own website "Club Custom Cobras" or something.

In defense of West Coast Cobras, yes, their car is larger, wider, has a much more civilized interior, a much safer frame and chassis, more comfortable seats, etc and is a FAKE Cobra, but, so is my Unique, and SO IS YOURS (if you have a replica).

I'm sorry for the rant, but I have been reading this forum for a few months now and have had several postings and have gathered a ton of very useful information. I'm sure most people here are really nice people. Everyone has been very helpful to me that I have emailed about various topics. But I also feel that there are a ton of snobs that post on this forum that don't like any car other than their own or an original. I think it takes a lot more creativity to create a personalized Cobra (like in summit) than it does to simply imitate a car that Shelby made 40 years ago and a car that thousands of other people have in there garage as well.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

580;

I do not think anybody here is intentionally flaming or putting down the owner for what he did with the car...To each his own,he built the car the way he wanted and from the pictures and description this guy put a lot of hard work into the car and from what I can see,it is a first class job he did......BTW,I love all Cobra's too,real/replica/kits/customized/whatever.....

That being said,this is only my opinion,and that and 50 cents will not get you a cup of coffee in downtown Marksville either.....

I think most object to the way the article was written and the fact they left out the replica's make,leaving the impression the owner built this car from "scratch"...Also,read the last paragraph,I quote,"Rick's two and a half years of hard work shows in everything from the big block power to the tiniest graphic details. But for Rick, the thing that probably stands out the most is simply the fact that it's a 1966 427 Shelby Cobra---his 1966 427 Shelby Cobra",end quote,no mention of a 1966 427 Shelby Cobra Replica,just a 427 Shelby Cobra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having worked in the body repair business for some 14 years and still do some on the side (my own stuff) and in the insurance claims industry for the last ten years looking at damaged cars every day all day, I can appreciate workmanship and quality wherther it's a VW Bug or on a top of the line Rolls Royce....This guys work may be top of the line,I do not think that is in disput,just the way the article is written and the way the facts were presented.....

Sorry for the rant also,but this is just the way I see it,be it right or wrong....

David
Old 02-19-2004, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 427 Cobra. 427 Side Oiler. Dual Quads.
Not Ranked     

David,

I see your point also. To read the article you would think that he did everything from scratch.

My rant was more on the "this type of replica is better than that type of replica" subject rather than on how the Summit article was written.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

580;

After re-reading some of the other posts,I now see how you interperted things,o-k,the post concerning "this type is better than that type",I just do not pay much if any attention to them,same as the "real vs. replica" debates there have been in the past....Everybody has his or her own idea of the "perfect" Cobra and to each his own,I may not agree with it,but then,it is NOT my Cobra....

BTW;In Cobras as well as any old cars,I personally prefer them to stay as true as possible to the original design and colors,just my personal preference.....

David
Old 02-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey,

Like I said when I started the post... just thought it was pretty cool to see a Cobra on the cover, (in mid-winter blahs).

Relax...
Old 02-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Helping divert this diffuse thread:

* I'm happy to see any cobra anywhere anytime. Doesn't have to be my "optimum" and I love seeing owners getting happy with what they've got. I've learned from this site that someone's always got something bigger, faster, more powerful, or shinier.

* Ohioans take heart. I drove her to work today (OK, it was a chilly 30), but it will be 50 by end of day. Soon the salt will be washed away and we'll have SPRING, something y'all in Texas don't know much about, save Lady Bird's waldfloors. (Save it, I'm a displaced Texan from San Antone and Houston, so there.)
Old 02-19-2004, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

well I was excited to see the car... anything is better than mine...don't have one yet

I have a feeling that the details of the kit were left out as an editorial error...

I think it would be fun to find the guy (rick Saccone) on the details of his build...sound like some people have some...questions.

When I get mine I am think of getting a dark orange (but someone might think I am an longhorn)

What I ask people on a car like this one (in the article) or others... if you asked someone what is was, they say cobra.

I took a friend to a Dallas TCC event a few weeks ago and he was surprised the differences between all the models. But he said they were all Cobras.

Sounds like springs coming... enjoy what ever you have

Hopefully I will join you soon with my own ride

Have a great rest of the week!

www.txcobraclub.com