23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2004, 11:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Which State Easiest On Replicas?

I'd like to hear ClubCobra member's opinions on which U.S. State has the most relaxed regulations pertaining to registering replicas/hot rods/kit cars.

Please give me some specific reasons.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2004, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

My experience was mild. Car went through a safety inspection and passed .That was it. They gave me form that I took to the DMV and paid the tax. They gave me plates, reg. and title there and then. I could tell the guy that did the safety inspection really wanted to ride or drive the car, but it did'nt happen.

SHARPE 1 from Iowa
Old 05-19-2004, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR4067, 393W
Not Ranked     

In Florida:
No car inspection, no emissions inspection. They don't even want to see a car, they only want your money.
You do need the VIN notarized. I took off the plate that my VIN is stamped into and carried in to my bank, which was quite happy to notarize the form for me.

Ed
Old 05-19-2004, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

In Oklahoma

I took the car to the tag office and a young girl walked outside with me and varified my vin number on my frame. We walked back inside I gave her a copy of my insurance varifacation and $23.00. She gave me a tag and mailed me my title in a couple weeks. Oklahoma eliminated the safety inspections a couple years ago.

Pretty simple!

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 05-19-2004, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

California,
They will give it to you ......
and then revoke it!

TURK
Old 05-19-2004, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

By the way TURK how is the Porche doing with CA DMV?

And by the way you awake awfully early!

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 05-19-2004, 06:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Oregon:
Take the MCO, Bill of Sale for car and engine and two one page large type forms to DMV. They verify the VIN and do a walk around of the car (I think they want to verify that it does in fact have at least two and preferably four wheels) go back inside, pay your fee (as near as I can recall $38.00) receive your plates, screw them on and go have fun. Total time about 20 minutes.
DonC
Old 05-19-2004, 07:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2008 Shelby GT500
Not Ranked     

Hey California buy a clue! Seems like at least a few other states are car friendly.

FIA Mike
Old 05-19-2004, 07:53 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

I predict a lot of Cobras in California are soon going to be sporting tags from Iowa, Oklahoma and Oregon.

1. Establish corporation in XXXX state, with branch office in CA
2. Sell Cobra to Newco (corporation)
3. Newco registers car in XXXX state

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 05-19-2004 at 07:55 AM..
Old 05-19-2004, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clois,
Finally!! After exhausting over $10,000 to make it California Legal, it is finally done and have driven it for about 1000 miles.
Now it is for sale. State will make additional revenue from the sale of this car.

Mike,
Yes. It has been my biggest criticism of this state all along. It is Car UNFRIENDLY.
As many know I am in the car business, and I know what all we have to go through daily to operate a dealership in this state. It would bring tears to your eyes.
You only hear about the displeasure of the citizesn on isolated cases like Cobras and Porsches etc.

How about the other 70,0000,000 or so cars that are in this state.
Nothing brings as much revenue into the sate as the cars do and yet we drive on some of the criummiest roads anywhere. Pay the highest tolls ($5.00) to go over the Golden Gate! Highest fuel prices, and the poorest grade of fuel anywhere.

Emissions, taxes, restrictions, and all the other hoops we have to jump through, and we get not enough in return for our hobby or our daily driving.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The recent emphasis is on OUT OF STATE PLATES.

There is an all out enforcement going on. They are driving the shopping malls, parking lots of business parks looking for out of state plates and publicizing it with TV cameras in tow.

As if to put the fear of state in the hearts and minds of people. As if to say, we know what our way will drive the people into doing, and don't even think about i, because we will find you and fine you.

It is going to take a referandinm of some sort to reverse this but unfortunately, the state that has brought us Proposition 13, and a the recal of a governor, does not have a movement in place big enough to do anything about this. They have resigned to it.

Recently, tripling of the registration fees and the reversal of it by the new governor is a good example.

If we hadn't recalled the governor those fees would be in place today.

Not likely that everytime there is something that irritates the citizenery, there will be strong enough of a movement to recall the man in charge. It is costly and often unsuccesful.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M , 5.0 efi
Not Ranked     

New hampshire is no big deal.
They check serial numbers for major components (checking for stolen parts) then the state police issue you a VIN number.
Then register, safty inspect, and you're driving. No smog tests and in NH you don't even need insurance You'd be crazy not to have it but the law says it is not required.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Turk,
I really do pitty you folks in California. It's just amazing what they do with car owners. You'd know the answer to this question better than I do.... What would happen if they succeeded with all of their car "unfriendly" quests? Sounds like they'd make it so almost nobody could afford a car, or want to go through the bull$#%*. Then what? Would they then lose the revenue because nobody has a car? What would happen to CA economy if most people gave up their cars? I understand the concerns about keeping the environment clean, and I'm all for cars putting out lower emmission, etc.. But they are so much a part of our culture and way of life, trying to legislate them out of existance almost sounds self defeating. That's just an east coasters' perspective, so I could be totally off base.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In Alaska you fill out a form to apply for a seasonal tag. Take your Title in (if the car was purchased out of state) and get an Alaska title transferred into your name. Pay your fees...that's it. No inspection, No emissions test,no sales tax,no income tax... no hassle. Gawd I love this state!
Old 05-19-2004, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 406FE
Not Ranked     

Tennessee

Took my bill of sale, previous copy of WI title, paid $24.00, no inspection, no proof of insurance, no questions......

But 2 weeks later I had to walk all the way to my mailbox and physically remove them myself.....and installation.... that was another hassle.....

Sorry California, at one time I even enjoyed living there..... I guess that has changed.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In Louisiana,you bring your MSO or assigned VIN from the manufacter along with reciepts for the major parts (engine/trans/etc.),proof of insurance and have the car safety inspected,go to the DMV,pay your taxes/title and registration and they send you a new title in your name and give you your plate right there on the spot,no smog inspections at all,very simple if you have your proper documents............

You can also get a lifetime "Street Cruiser" plate for the vehicle for a whopping 25 bucks.......Look at the rear of my Mustang in my gallery,it has one......

David
Old 05-19-2004, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There really is a reason that Titles Unlimited operated out of Alabama.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'll bet that by the time California pays all the DMV workers and CHP officers involved in registering or revoking component car registrations, they net $24.00 just like Tennessee.

What am I saying??? California probably looses money on every component car registration by the time they're done sifting it through the maze of red tape.

Now, what can I find to do in all these other states to make a living!
Old 05-19-2004, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M, 460 roller motor, toploader, and 9".
Not Ranked     

Well...add Washington State to the list of slam-dunks.

Took the MSO and a Bill of Sale to the License Bureau 2 weeks ago - paid my sales tax received plates and registration. Absolutely the easiest procedure. Now on to finding someone to insure it.

Still have not taken possession of car but soon DV and Jay???
Old 05-19-2004, 06:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up ALABAMA

FILL OUT THE PAPER WORK, MAILED IT WITH COPIES OF RECEIPTS AND THE MSO AND $25. WAIT ON TROOPER CLEVELAND TO CALL AND COME TO MY HOUSE TO LOOK AT THE COBRA. HE IS JUST LOOKING FOR STOLEN PARTS. HE SIGN PAPER WORK, GO TO COURTHOUSE AND BUY TAG. TWO AND HALF PECENT SALES TAX PLUS COST OF TAG, $25.50. MUST HAVE INSURANCE.

DON'T MOVE HERE. WE HAVE TOO MANY PEOPLE NOW!