LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-1999, 09:28 PM
Neal Jackson
Visit my Photo Gallery

[This message has been edited by Neal Jackson (edited 12-31-2000).]
Old 02-23-1999, 01:48 PM
Scott Smith
Visit my Photo Gallery

I should add my two bits to this thread, as well. I was smitten by the Cobra bug in the early '60s when some friends raced their AC Bristol; later they added an early 260 engined model that had been rolled, and then an Aceca; then to really stoke the fires a local attorney acquired a 289 and a 427. One ride and I was hooked forever. College, service, wife, kids & private school, and their ever appreciating value have kept the Cobra a dream. My goal was to have the garage filled by age 50. I returned from a short vacation in Utah this past June and found my close friend yellow with jaundice and a case of pancreatic cancer. I'm not going to wait any longer...

I'll be 48 this Sunday.

Scott
Old 02-23-1999, 06:35 PM
PaulJudie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neal:

We are west of the tip of Idaho. We would be directly above Wenatchee, Wa. Which is about Central Washington.
Paul is still in the garage! We have a Cardiac Cobra from Vancouver. We have purchased an Everett Morrison soft top and are trying to adapt it to fit. I ordered it last summer and got all the dimensions from E.M. and we wll felt that it would fit. It still looks somewhat promising. Although there is an awful lot of planning and measuring before we drill that first hole. The snaps really spoil the look of the car but it is very impractical without a top to fold up in the trunk. We wake up many mornings of a show & shine and say well I guess we are not going - 80 miles and it looks like it might rain. We stay home and it is sunny all day! But you can be sure that if we went it would rain. We have leather seats and wool carpet. Not something we want filled with rain!

Judie

Old 02-23-1999, 08:32 PM
Art Colley
Visit my Photo Gallery

Happy Birthday, Scott. I undersand your post only too well.

To PaulJudie (Judie),
Aw, heck, what's a little rain between friends! Actually, living where you live, I would imagine the top is important for a signigant part of the year just for temperature. I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and have an Everette Morrison with no top OR windshield wipers. Only been caught in the rain once in several years. And I have a rule that if the temp is above freezing, I'll go out, even if I do look like a bumdle of blankets in the front seat. Fortunately, down south, temps below freezing are rare, but it still gets cold. I have a heater from E-M, but have never installed it. Probably never will. Keep Paul at work and have fun in the car.

Regards, Art

[This message has been edited by Art Colley (edited 02-24-99).]
Old 02-24-1999, 07:59 PM
PaulJudie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Art

We cruise from May 1 to Nov 1. Rarely are cold - we just wear a ski jacket. No heater for us - we are tough - or so I am told. Top is only for rain! We are in a desert area. Fortunately we only get 12" f precip / year. - includes snow. It gets up to 90-100 degrees here in July & August so it is hot. Too hot for these motors sometimes.
Judie

Old 02-25-1999, 02:06 PM
Art Colley
Visit my Photo Gallery

PaulJudie,

12 inches a year, heck, we got that much in a month! But I am still dry (except for last week... got caught two blocks from home...controlling the car on wet pavement was more trouble than getting wet myself).
I think we should start a Club Cobra Exchange Program, where each member can swap locations with another for a week. Sort of like the schools do. Last weekend the 14 year old daughter of my partner had two 18 year old BOYS from Denmark stay for the weekend. Not a word of English. Pretty funny. But now they can speak at least one word... "Cobra". This was the 14 year old who is getting her driver's ed in the Cobra, that I wrote about once before. Good idea, don't you think?

Regards, Art
Old 02-25-1999, 03:01 PM
Neal Jackson
Visit my Photo Gallery

Art,

Driver's Ed in a Cobra? That's too Cool! What instructor in his/her right mind could flunk the driver of that car?!

May be the longest course on record though. - I know if I were the instructor the test would just have to cover every road surface available, slaloms, acceleration and braking, probalbly a newly created "G Force" test, also the motor would have to be tested for "RPM" control, you know, how consistent the student can keep the foot on the throttle.

Yeah, it'd be fun!

Neal
Old 02-25-1999, 03:13 PM
Art Colley
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hey, I ain't kiddin.

I'm adding a page about our adventures to my site, called (guess what), Driver's Ed. I hope in a year when she goes to take her test she asks for the Cobra. By God, I think I'll let her do it!

This is all with her parent's approval, by the way, and just for a moment, a serious note. It is an extremely valuable lesson for a youngster who has grown up in a workd of Civics and Saturns, to know what a really powerful car is about...and what a real responsibility it is. We who survived the '60's owe that lesson to our kids.

Regards, Art
www.mindspring.com/~cobra65/cobranotebook
Old 02-28-1999, 04:27 PM
silverbullet
Visit my Photo Gallery

I am 35 (going on 10 according to my wife) As a boy, I was infatuated with small, fast sports cars of all kinds. Vettes, Porche's, Jag's, and of course the Cobra. In high school I drove a '70 Mustang with a 351, and then a '72 Opel GT. As years past and life went on, I forgot about my childhood dreams of racing around in a vintage roadster and found myself racing a mini-van instead. I can beat anybody thru downtown in rushhour. One day in summer '96 I picked up a kit car mag and started leafing through it. The Cobras in the articles and advertisements were beautiful, but way out of my price range. With three rugrats and a 30 year mortgage, I would be a wise OLD man before a Cobra would be in my garage. Then I read an ad by Factory Five. Single Mustang donor, EFI, lightweight, and actually affordable(well,close). My dream was alive again! After saving and planning for over two years, I picked up my kit in Sept.'98. Last Sat. I took it to my painter. This has been an experience of a lifetime! As for age, I have one piece of advice...do it now! Dreams have a way of getting forgotten.
So glad to find this website! Good job to all involved.

Chris Perry
Toledo, OH
P.S. For now I'm only known as "Wheelie Man's" buddie, but not for long. See you all at Run & Gun '99.
Old 03-04-1999, 01:24 AM
Alan Vanhollebeke
Visit my Photo Gallery

I'm 30 years old and have been dreaming of cobras for oh about.....25years! I've been a "gearhead" all my life. My grandfather was a mechanic until the day he passed away about 7 years ago. My dad has been a mechanic for over 30 years, together we own & operate an independent shop specializing in Mercedes-Benz repair. I have been roadracing in the SCCA for about 6 years. For the last three years ,I've been competing with a Mercedes 190e 16-valve in ITE class against mostly v-8 powered cars & 6cyl BMW's. I did manage to win the Mid-Am championship and the I.T. TOUR championships in 1997 with my 4cyl-4 door 190. The camaro guys don't laugh anymore when I show up on the grid, it mmust have something to do with getting their doors blown off by a well balanced package that can corner & brake just as quickly as accelerate.

When I finally decided to build a cobra, I wanted primarily a good street car. I obviously already have a racecar that is competitive, very unique, and promotes the business I'm in. So I started my research into replicas and made a list of things that were important to me.
I wanted it tame enough to run on pump fuel,have easy to find(affordable) replacement parts, but still be light & agile enough to blast through an autocross or use at speed at the racetrack when I instruct for the porsche club events. I bought and built(and just dissasembled to have painted) a Factory Five Cobra. Do I believe that it's the "best cobra kit".......No
Do I think it was the best choice for me and my objectives..............YES, ABSOLUTELY!
You see,there is no "best cobra kit",these cars while all similar in appearance, mean different things to different people.My point, do your homework, decide what will meet your needs & make you happy, build it & enjoy!
Old 03-04-1999, 02:41 AM
Art Colley
Visit my Photo Gallery

Very well said, Alan. Most appropriate, and a good story. Hope you participate in the rest of the forum.

Regards, Art
Old 03-04-1999, 02:51 AM
John McMahon
Visit my Photo Gallery

Alan,

Bravo!!!! Thanks for your honesty. You hit the nail on the head, you knew what you wanted, it didn't have to be the cream of the crop, you got it, built it and now you're enjoying it. This is what it's all about.

This is not a hit against FFR, so guys, please don't get crazy about Alan's comments. This is what we ALL should be able to do, identify the warts on each of our cars with the same objectivity that Alan has just displayed.

Kudos, Alan,

John
Old 03-05-1999, 02:32 PM
Enzo Alibrandi
Visit my Photo Gallery

I'm 47 (and a grandfather). I know what you're all thinking -- with a name like Enzo I should be driving a Ferrari.

Since I was a teenager I've been fortunate and I had mid-year stingrays, corvettes (restored a couple), mustangs, a porsche, and once I even owned a GoGo mobile, (if anybody knows what that is)

In my early 30's I started thinking about the Cobras. In my late 30's I was getting ready to follow in the family steps and get a Ferrari when my wife told me -- you've been talking about building Cobras for a couple of years now, if you don't do it now you never will.

I built two Cobras and fell in love with the whole Cobra affair. I walked away from a corporate job (I'm an engineer) and started up a business doing something I love. All my friends around here have Cobras and they spend alot of time at my house -- they say its like a candy store.

Of course once you fulfill one dream another creeps in there and last year I ordered a GT-40. Can't wait to assemble that one.

I suppose I will need to buy a Ferrari before I die to keep the family happy.

Regards,

Enzo Alibrandi/Finish Line
Old 03-05-1999, 02:57 PM
rklein
Visit my Photo Gallery

What a website! This is like a candy store too! All these years, since I first sat in an original, white 289 with two, four-barrel Webers, in Santa Rosa, California, I've wanted a Shelby Cobra, thinking that there weren't many more like me! Almost bought a red one in 1970 that was beat and belching smoke....for $6K , but needed the money for a house and new family. Now I am 52, divorced, and still carrying the Cobra torch. I have a '67 Mustang with a coveted 289, and two Volvo 1800's. Took the grill out of my oldest 1800 (sport coupe) because it looked more like a Cobra that way! Given that I've compulsed over having a Cobra for 33 years and think Carroll Shelby is the great car Guru of the western world, I think it's time to get one. Have struggled between Kits and the CSX-4000 series and have concluded that the Kits are the "best buy" of the two (this feels like a sacreligious statement). Still I am considering an all-Shelby-parts 351W engine to salve my guilt! So, at the upcoming kit car exhibit in California's Knott's Berry farm, I will fulfill this lifetime dream that I obviously share with you fellows!

Randall Klein
Los Altos, CA
Old 03-07-1999, 09:48 AM
Jim Colman
Visit my Photo Gallery

Greetings all! I'm 49, started thinking seriously about obtaining a Cobra about five years ago when I stumbled across a kit car magazine. I had heard of and seen photos of Cobras ever since I was a teenager, but I had never actually seen a real or replica 427 S/C until I went to Run & Gun 97. I was totally awed! I had decided earlier to buy a replica but I knew nothing about them. I found a website that was maintined by a guy from Holland that had s list of Cobra owners around the world. I contacted some of the owners and asked a ton of questions (Neal Jackson was one of the people kind enough to write back, thanks Neal!) That got me started on the right track to deciding what I wanted
in a Cobra. Intresting as well, I decided to make a video about Cobra replicas to help me decide what manufacturer to buy from. Since I make television programs, commercials, and corporate videos for a living, it was fairly easy to get started on the video. I started interviewing people, filming Cobras in action and writing a script. After my first R&G, I had pretty much narrowed down my choices of manufacturers. I happened to find a pro built Midstates Cobra for sale in New Mexico that the builder was willing to sell for a
good price. I bought it sight unseen (except for four photographs) and he delivered it across country to North Carolina. I don't recommend buying a Cobra this way, but it worked out well for me. I've driven my Cobra for nearly two years now, putting 5000 miles on it. I'm still working on finsihing my video, which will be ready by mid April, but driving, maintaining, and (sometimes) racing my Cobra has given me a tremendous insight into living with a snake in my garage. Unfortunatly, my wife doesn't share my enthusiam for Cobras, but since owning one, I've met many other Cobra owners or enthusiasts in my area.
Actually, my wife does like to go for late night rides if the weather is nice and I
don't rev the engine much past 4000 rpm!
My two teenage daughters tolerate my snake only because it attracts the boys! My next Cobra will probably be a 289 version with under the car exhaust, no stripe or roll bar, and a stereo! I know, it sounds like I'm getting soft, but I DO love my wife and I would like for her to enjoy my toys as much as I do.
Old 03-07-1999, 02:50 PM
Neal Jackson
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hi Jim,

Welcome to Club Cobra - it's a great place - lots of nice folks here.

I remember the emails and your video idea from about 2 years ago. Glad to hear the video panned out and even more happy to hear you got a Cobra.

Enjoy Club Cobra!

Neal
Old 03-10-1999, 11:35 AM
jpp
Visit my Photo Gallery

Well I am 31 kinda young I guess but I have wanted a cobra since I was 14 and saw one on TV. "That has to be the Coolest car that was ever made." I thought I guess I haven't changed really I still think it is the coolest car ever made. I got lucky with mine, Well I guess it is all in how you look at it really. This past summer I had the misfortune of getting hit head on by a drunk driver. It destroyed my svo Turbo powered 4x4 Ranger. Not to mention put me in the hospital for three days. All the usuall broken leg, nose, concusion, Bruised ribs You know the usuall. I had a real bad experiece about 7 years ago with a semi that drove over the car I was in and his Insurance co. tried to say he did nothing wrong.Yea right (7 revocations of his licence and a fellony kidnapping charge this guy is a saint, RIGHT!) Any way contemplating this prob again I hired a lawer brfore I was even out of the hospital Actually a guy I knew anyway they didn't even try and fight just wanted to know how much so I ended up with some extra cash And I decided to finally fulfill my dream. As a matter of fact I just got the call yesterday from FFR that my car shipPed. Now I am frantic trying to get everything ready. Well gota go and do some more.

Happy Wrenching!
Old 03-10-1999, 01:45 PM
silverbullet
Visit my Photo Gallery

jpp,
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the accidents, good to see you could turn it into something cool. I too am building a Factory Five car and am almost done(at the painter now), and I also share your childhood dreams about "THE COOLEST CAR EVER MADE". I see you're from St. Louis so I expect to see your car, or at least you, at Run & Gun this July.

Chris Perry
Toledo, Oh.
Old 03-11-1999, 03:17 AM
Bruce Botti
Visit my Photo Gallery

Great Site. I liked the Cobra Forum also, but felt a little intimidated. I admire their allegiance to FFR, but feel that they sometimes come on a bit too strong against other makes. I decided against the FFR as it was not right for me. I chose to go with the Unique 427 S/C. To me it was the best performance / value Cobra available. Besides, the Weaver's are great people to work with!!
I'm getting off on a tangent (comes with old age). I will be 49 in three weeks and have always been a car nut with Mustang's, AMX's, etc. Besides the unfinished Cobra, I have two '91 SHO's and a '74 TVR.
I am in the process of starting up a Cobra Assembly business since my company is up and moving on me. Fortunately, I will be able to get a lump sum pension payout and a 14 month severance check. The Cobra business will be to supplement my retirement income. I know that you will never get rich doing this, but if I can get it to pay for some extras like medical insurance, I'll be happy. It helps that I can do all the work including mechanical, electrical, painting, etc in my 24 x 32 garage. My overhead will be very low. I figure that the only risk I am taking is with my time.
I'm glad to see that there is such a wide range of ages and backgrounds in the Cobra "family". Keep up the good work.
Bruce
Old 03-11-1999, 04:56 AM
Neal Jackson
Visit my Photo Gallery

jpp,

Welcome to Club Cobra! Never too young to appreciate Cobras, kit or real. Sorry to hear of your bad luck with other vehicles. Glad you apparently are ok and were able to make some good out of it. Gotta watch those Insurance people!

Enjoy this site and also your car!

Neal

Bruce,

Welcome to Club Cobra!

Your Cobra assembly business sounds like a good concept - Good Luck with it!

About your reference to "old age" at 48, almost 49 - I take exception to that remark, since I am also 48 , as are a couple of others here. I don't (and I think they will agree) think "old age" will hit for another 40 or so years! Perhaps when you reach an age wherein you no longer enjoy Cobras - maybe that will be "old age". Think that will ever happen?

Enjoy the Club!

Neal