16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Charter Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Shell Valley Coupe is here! Now the building begins....
Not Ranked     

I just wanted to be the 500th post!

Scott S
Old 02-08-2004, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool

I'm not sure if it's midlife or when midlife is actually supposed to occur but my wife asked the same question. Maybe a little bit of crisis. Or boredom. I'm 37 and hope to finish mine by June 1st... 38th birthday. That way I can take it to my twentieth reunion. The reply by Jeff Towne I think hits it on the head. I've read an awful lot of hot rod magazine growing up dreaming of building a 66 Chevelle. Through the years it changed to a 66 Cobra. Nevertheless I am at the point in my career when the money isn't as much of an issue as is the time. 40 seems to be a good age to start. Better that than lying around on the couch or spending all of your free time in bars or some other bad habit. Staying busy is the best medicine.

Good luck with your build. If you have chosen to do so. Keep us all posted. Do you still have hair on your head?
Old 02-16-2004, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FRR, 302 Stock
Not Ranked     

43. Not a mid life crisis for me. I fell in love with the Cobra the first time I ever saw one in person. I was 19. I have been trying to work out the financial piece ever since. Finally made it.

John
Old 02-16-2004, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #85 392 crate 430hp
Not Ranked     

31 and just bought a Backdraft can't decide on what to get for a motor, either a Rousch 327R or a Ford Crate 392 all about the cash I guess
Old 02-16-2004, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1404 KC 482 GENESIS
Not Ranked     

41 and holding. Have owned several corvettes old and new but always had an eye for a cobra.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA, S. Automotive 354 stroker
Not Ranked     

I'm 30 and I just bought my first Cobra this weekend. Loving it!
Old 02-16-2004, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: former Unique289
Not Ranked     

Unique 289_FIA,
Congrats on your Unique FIA. I see you got a Southern engine, are you getting it painted by Bruce Bunn/Jodeco?

BTW I'm 46 and loving my Unique that I bought in '02

Mid-life crisis? No, that was the Harley
Old 02-16-2004, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

I'm 48, first Cobra. I have owned over 30 Corvettes bought the first one in 1977 and have had at least one since then. Have owned a few Shelbys, Chevelles, and Camaros.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC on order, 351c4v and top loader for power. And did I say that it will be Orange with white stripes?
Not Ranked     

Middle age crazy! 48 going on 20
Old 02-16-2004, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1454
Not Ranked     

I'm currently 29. I bought the car when I was 28 though. I've been dreaming about this since I was 8.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

56 going on 20. Saw my first Cobra at age 16 while working for an auto body shop part time. It was a white slab side with a 289. Everyone remarked that it only had the bare essentials, not even side windows, but it goes like a bat out of hell!

Have an ERA 289 FIA on order. Soon I'll know how fast a bat out of hell can go!
Old 02-17-2004, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

I finished mine last year just before my 28th birthday. Well, I should say finish enough to drive on the road. I just got the top on and still need to get a supercharger, but that will have to wait. I figure that I should get use to big power before I go all out. The first time I drove a car with more than 350 HP was when I first turn the key on my cobra (WOW) I can't wait till I hop it up to 500hp. I think baby steps might be the smart thing to do when it comes to that much power
Old 02-17-2004, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF 0346. 351W
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

My wife and I graduated in 1965 and the Cobra has been our "Dream Car" since then. When we found our Superformance 65' Cobra we jumped and have been satisfied ever since. Waiting for the weather to break and enjoy another season of dring.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I'm 68 and finished my Cobra about a year ago. My son and I started building it in 1992, however, we both moved a couple of times and there was about 5 years when nothing was done on it.

I am now building a 1934 Mercedes 500K which a friend of mine purchased from Heritage also in 1992, he died in 1992, and it sat in his widow's garage until about a year ago when I started working on it.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:42 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley. 427W , SB-100
Not Ranked     

Well, I'm 60. I have a Shell Valley just about finished. Driveable but not registered yet. My son is almost 20 and he's been a big help. I've wanted a kit car since college when there wasn't much available. No matter - I didn't have the money then. The army, marriage, and life in general hapened until about 4 years ago when I read a little book called "Roadster." It's about a guy who builds a Catterham 7. I was hooked and wanted to build a Cobra. I do have to say that you have to really WANT to build a car because it's easier and cheaper to buy one already finished. Don't think you'll save a lot of money by doing it yorself. That is, if you want to build it decently and not as cheap as possible.

Dave
Old 03-14-2004, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 390 toploader IRS
Not Ranked     

36, wanted a cobra as far back as i could remember. I just parted with my 68 mustang convertible that i've had since i was 14.
It was a restomod that brought a lot of attention. Very hard to part with, but I wanted my cobra.
Has anyone ever read an article "A ride in a 427 Cobra"??
I think it was in a late 80's early 90's "Fabulous Fords"
Old 03-16-2004, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 427 CCX 3627 ,TKO 600 RR,TWM 58mm DFI
Not Ranked     

For a few years now travelling around Vancouver Island B.C Canada to various carshows in my `66 Vett I would see these Cobras and they grew on me. I kinda was a Diehard Chebby fan: 64 Chevelle ss,67 Chevelle 396 Convert,69 Nova L78,2 69 Z`s,but last summer I met a fellow in a quiet town - mainly for retired folks...named Parksville.He is a School teacher about 50 or so and a really nice fellow.He offered to take me for a ride in his Contemporary 427 Cobra one summer day..so who was I to turn down that invite?.I arrived at his home that Sat morning and there it was - in his driveway all shined up ready to go.I climbed in and he turned the key,the solid lifter engine rumbled to life and was absorbing all the information i could take in about this mechanical marvell.First thing I asked him was if the neibours minded the noise..He said that they didn`t and even came over sometimes to help on his car. As we pulled out on the hiway accelerated hard through four gears and I was trying to look at the guages to see what the engine was doing but all I was really doing was looking at SKY then floor then SKY once again as my neck wasn`t used to such accelleration.At a blink we were over 100 MPH and I didnt see squat.He said that I was smiling so hard that the people who looked over at the commotion / noise - all they saw was me drooling over myself. We drove around for a while and ended up at a gas station and he threw me the keys,I politely refused but he talked me into it...I have drove a few fast cars in my time but nothing even comes close to the experience I had that day.The raw power,the Sound of a Solid lifter 427,and the accelleration....You cant understand that unless you try it.After we arrived back at his home and I Towelled myself off..I saw a forsale sign in my head on my Vett. It took me a very short time to realize that I HAD TO HAVE ONE!, long story short...Now I have most of the parts to build myown Contemporary 427 and the Vett?....Well it`s beside the Cobra in the Garage.I am very greatful for that experience I had that day and since then I have met alot of very nice Folks who also enjoy this hobby.Take care all!....Mike Schulz
Old 04-21-2004, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley \ 429
Not Ranked     

im 28 and new to the club ever since i can remember my big brother would tell me story s of the allmighty shelby cobra so i was very excited when his shell valley kit arived and would jump at the chance to help with the build and when it was ready for the roed, instead of taking a ride we would "go hunting" the usual pray were vett s my brother died 3/24/01 and left the car to me though i would not drive it just didnt seem right however this winter i realized he built the car for a reason!!!!!!!!! and so the weather is getting better so that can only mean one thing its HUNTING SEASON and im well on my way to bagging my limmit im also looking forward to meeting some of you this summer. joe
Old 04-21-2004, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Dear Bite:

As an older motormaniac, one who has been building these cars for the past 20 years; enjoy the cars, but be careful; they can bite you if you're not careful... after all, that's why they're called snakes... and frankly anyone can go and buy a Corvette. Where's the challange in that? It takes something more to put together a Cobra, real or replica.

And, to put it another way; philosophically I would think that if you pack the biggest gun, you should never really ever have to pull it out of the holster.

Jim

PS: And as to the "age" thing; I was a member of the (High School) Class of 66', but that was just yesterday... and it was also ages ago.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 04-21-2004 at 07:59 PM..
Old 04-21-2004, 11:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock Cobra, Ford Cleveland 351-4V
Not Ranked     

I'm 46.
Every time I walk in my garage and look at my Cobra I just think "wow...am I a lucky guy or what"
Every time I drive it I'm somewhere between the ages of 0 - 46 and thinking that life is good.
The first time I took my two daughters out and floored it, they just screamed with wide open eyes. My 75 year old mother inlaw even loves it. So time is ageless in a Cobra and everyone should have one....now wouldn't that be something to think about ???