Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2004, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 302
Not Ranked     

The mid life crisis thing is a myth. Every guy wants a hot car from the time he's 2. You usually just can't afford it 'till later.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

I've always been a sports car nut, growing up close to Watkins Glen. I watched the A/P Cobras run back in the 60's and never dreamed I would someday be able to own one. Owned some MGs, an XKE, many TRs; my favorite was a E/P TR3 that I put back on the street (added headlights and a muffler is all!!).

Sold all my sports cars as I raised my family (4 kids), as the time and finances weren't there. Bought a Suburban and a camper and had great fun with the kids as they grew up.

After the kids were grown, I was able to purchase another TR.

I was in the process of doing a frame off restoration of a TR3, and was driving a TR4 at age 49 when a friend of mine started selling SPF. I fell in love with the first Superformance they got in (blue/white stripes with hardtop), and sold the Triumphs and bought it!

I am 51, now, and have owned and driven many different sports cars over the years (I owned an import performance shop back in the 70's) and my Superformance is by far the most exciting to drive of all of them.

Next is a SPF Brock Coupe, then maybe the GT40........

Jim Kellogg
SPF887
Old 07-19-2004, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

im 27 and just got mu cobra last friday. I love the power and the girls!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Girls

Sqrilladilla

Don't let those bloody girls distract you. Keep focused.

Post some pictures when you have them of the Cobra and the girls!!

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 08-04-2004, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Actual car: AC Autokraft MK IV with Keith Craft 331. Gone: Home built Crendon, original style twin tube frame, powder coated, stainless sidepipes. FE 433
Not Ranked     

Hmmmm....

not really a mid life crisis thing.

As I was 29 I built my first Cobra after some experiences with Lotus Super Seven, De Loreans, an DB 230 SL Conv. and giving hands on Rolls Royce restoration.

After 15 Years of Cobra Driving I finished my current and last Cobra(my opinion today, but the coupe is nice.......)last month.
See the pics in my gallery.

It was my dream since I was 9(1969).

Cheers and all the best from Germany,

Uwe

Last edited by westcott cobra; 08-04-2004 at 10:20 PM..
Old 08-11-2004, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: aurora GRX 302 HO
Not Ranked     

I'm 54, and have been dreaming of Cobras since late 1962 (!) when thay first came out. I knew I HAD to have one when the 427 appeared in 65. Of course, I was 15, and the Cobra was still a dream. I kept up with the early kits (Arntz, etc.) through magazines and even kept a subscription to Hemmings and others just for the chance to find a "deal". I finally bought an Aurora 289 replica last November! Drove it home from Cal. to Tex. over the weekend. It needs some attention, BUT IT'S a COBRA. No, it's not a mid-life thing, it's an obsession!
Old 08-12-2004, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Its red (or Blue) with a 427 and completely fictional.
Not Ranked     

jmhbcs, my father and I are building a house together, so I suspect he will have his mid-life crisis when it is done. Lucky for me (14 1/2) that my father (37) both share the same dream car, the 427 S/C. Guess I am VERY lucky!

9-11 Never Forget

Fear starts with FE
Old 08-16-2004, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building a house, buying a BDR 351W/392 Stroker next year.
Send a message via AIM to brs94vette
Not Ranked     

I'll be 52 in December and have always wanted a Cobra. I sold my '65 "Big Block" Corvette Roadster in February and am planning on buying a Cobra next year after my new house is finished. I still have my '94 "Brickyard 400" Corvette Parade Car, so I can take my time and build the car I want. Any ideas on Ford 351W engine combos? I am thinking about using a modern FI system.
Bruce
Old 08-16-2004, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Its red (or Blue) with a 427 and completely fictional.
Not Ranked     

The Ford Racing 392 Stroker great power, sound, and reliableitty, If you post that question in the small block talk, you will get a lot mor answers. Welcome to the Madness we all share!

9-11 Never Forget

Fear starts with FE
Old 08-17-2004, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default What's your best line?

I'm 43, have 3 rug rats (6, 4, & 2). They all now know how to say "Cobra" and when I show the 2 year old a picture he says "fast car." Growing up my dad bought a 69 mustang with a straight 6 engine. I "nationalized" the car for my use in high school, conned my little brother into loaning me the money for a 302 engine, and while my parents were out of town me and the neighborhood guys replaced the engine in the car. Went like a bat out of hell in a straight line but cornered like a flat bottom boat. What really got me going was the man next door. He had a completely restored '67 GT 500 Shelby convertible. He got too old to drive it safely and they had to take the battery out of it to keep him from driving it. That got me interested in Fords and of course lead to discovery of the ultimate; The Cobra.

Don't know why it's only hit me now to really go get one, so I guess it is a mid life crisis. I've been driving myself crazy over analyzing every make, color, engine, carb, transmission, price combination out there and still haven't settled on one yet. However that will be the easy part.

The key question is "What was the best line you used on your wife (or husband) that got them to agree to letting you get one of these?" I've threatened mine with a 50 page Powerpoint analysis, told her I could modify it to hold 3 car seats, and basically pitched a fit and rolled on the floor (seems to work for the 2 year old).
Great site and this is the best thread I've seen yet.
Thanks!
Scott
Old 10-11-2004, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE DAYTONA COUPE, 2004, ROUSH 402R,515HP, 500 FT. LBS TORQUE
Not Ranked     

Hi Scott,
IMO,this has nothing to do with a "mid-life" crisis and everything to do with a life long "crisis." And the sooner you are able to get it fixed, the happier EVERYONE will be!
I'm 61, going on 25. When I graduated from college in 1965, I wanted a 289 Cobra in the worst way. Only problem was the cost. So I "settled" for a new '65 Vette with a 327 cu.in. 365 hp engine and a wife.Unfortunately, the Vette was sold several years later during the first of several Vietnam tours-wife pregnant, couldn't drive the car, not practical etc etc.And the desire for the Cobra remained.
Now,after two sons-both gear heads and racers like their Old Man-and four wonderful Grandchildren,there is a new Superformance Daytona Coupe in my garage,along with a 550 and 360 Ferrari and a NSX. Believe me, it is all worth the wait! Your time is coming.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 406FE(Southern Automotive)
Not Ranked     

I,m 53
The older I get the faster I was!!

Peter.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:43 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Older than I was when this thread started!
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 10-12-2004, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I am sure I have already posted this but I am going to do it again:

Sneak up on the wife. First I bought a Transmission and just let it sit around a couple of weeks. Then I bought an engine and told the wife I was just going to put together the engine for some project in the future. I was immediately threatened with my life if I got grease everywhere. I was extremely carefull and never got grease anywhere (garage, walls, floor, and mostly her carpet). Tore the old engine down and sent everything to the machine shop.

Then we started taking "Road Trips" in the vacinity of Cobra Builders (Shelby, Shell Valley, MidStates, B&B, Lone Star, A&C, Street Beast).
Once we agreed on who WE thought offered the best car value for the money (B&B in my opinion at the time). I told my wife I was taking a deposit to Bryan. That was exactly five years ago and we both enjoy the Cobra, so far so good. Did I mention I my wife and I had a new house built last year! Just like she always wanted (I got my garage for the Cobra). Trade-offs, it's all about trade-offs.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 10-12-2004, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: t -2.5years
Not Ranked     

i've just finished reading this thread,...it would have been faster in a Cobra.

Now that i am finished with my drooling and wipe myself off, let me present myself.

I'm 37 (and a half) and i am planning to get a cobra for my 40th birthday.
I've always loved Cobra's but since this year it's getting worse and worse (guest i should say better,,,lol)
Here's a link from a cobra builder from Quebec.

http://pages.infinit.net/accobra/pigeon.html

I'm new to this club but be sure to see me again..

Simon
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Old 10-13-2004, 05:20 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Welcome to our madness Simon!
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 10-13-2004, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     

SIMON - - -

BON JOUR, MON AMI - - - - AND WELCOME TO CLUB COBRA.

I'M ALMOST CERTAINLY THE OLDEST "OLD FART" ON THE FORUM - - -NOT TO MENTION THE "BEST LOOKING". (WELL - - ONE OUT OF TWO ISN'T THAT BAD).

I WAS OLDER THAN MOST OF THE GUYS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOW WHEN THE COBRAS WERE NEW. THIS, OF COURSE, DOES NOT ALTER THE FACT THAT I'M STILL 35 ON THE INSIDE - - EXCEPT WHEN I'M DRIVING THE COBRAS - - AT WHICH TIMES I REVERT TO ABOUT 19 AGAIN.

BEST SUGGESTION I CAN MAKE IS "GET INTO A COBRA AS FAST AS YOU CAN". EVERY YEAR THAT PASSES IS A FULL YEAR OF NOT DRIVING THE COOLEST CAR IN THE WORLD. SOME DAY YOU'LL BE MY AGE (HOPEFULLY). GETTING INTO AND OUT OF THE COBRA IS KIND OF TOUGH ON SOME DAYS BUT WHEN I'M STRAPPED IN - - - I'M 19 AGAIN.

AND - - - HANG OUT HERE ON C.C. YOU'LL FIND THE BEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD ARE HERE AND ARE DRIVING OR GETTING READY TO DRIVE COBRAS.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY.

BLACKJACK
Old 10-13-2004, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: t -2.5years
Not Ranked     
Talking

Thanks for the welcome...

You're not that old SIR........lol... sorry couln't help it

As a matter of fact i will go see the builder sometimes this month
Maybe i'll start with the steering wheel,,,,lol
Pieces by pieces i'll get it..................

Just have to be carefull with 3 young kids in the house (done a grocery lately?....lol)

The family business is going better and better (electrical contractor) so who now's, it might be sooner than i scheduled.

see you soon....

p.s. Do you speak french? because the spelling was right and that's my main language. (just curious)

Simon
Old 10-14-2004, 05:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

BlackJack,

Quit trying to be the oldest old fart on the club. And will someone please lock down this thread. Every time I think it has gone away some one resurrects it and I have gained another year.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 10-14-2004, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

There was more heat coming off of this than a Kieth Craft stroker during a 7500 RPM dyno pull..........and it was just as scarey!

Rick

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way