21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-1999, 08:42 AM
Randy Klein
Visit my Photo Gallery

Was once 52. Older than Neal and above the average age. Feel great kinship with "old" guys who were around to see the Shelby Cobra when it hit the show rooms, but prefer SPEAR fishing to line fishing . Waiting for my Cobra Chassis to be delivered in Late July to August. Own or have owned a motorcycle, driven around Los Angeles; Bug-eye Sprite; '70 Volvo 1800 E; '67 Volvo 1800S (grill removed to look a little like a Cobra-- good enough for a virtual experience) and a Ford Explorer with trailer hitch to tow the Cobra.

Now this thread should be back at the TOP!

[This message has been edited by Randy Klein (edited 06-29-1999).]

Now I'm 53, and don't believe this is a middle age crisis thing. It's more like delayed gratification sine I've wanted a Cobra this badly since I was 18!

[This message has been edited by Randy Klein (edited 01-23-2000).]
Old 07-03-1999, 11:51 PM
Ozgur_Tan
Visit my Photo Gallery

i'm 32 years old. I built my first cobra 5 years ago and second 2 years ago

i always like european styling and handling with american V8 engine like jensen, tiger, tvr, cobra etc.

[This message has been edited by Ozgur_Tan (edited 07-04-1999).]
Old 08-05-1999, 01:48 PM
Scott S
Visit my Photo Gallery

It's been awhile so I thought I would drag this one out again.

Scott S
Old 08-06-1999, 12:32 PM
Dave Keller
Visit my Photo Gallery

It was about 17 years ago when after being laid off from a steel mill I was painting cars at home trying to pay the bills. I painted a austin healey with a 350 chevy v8. I thought this car was it. After a little serching I found a Cobra and in my eyes it was the ultamate car. Now at 43 YO. I have a one. It should be on the road next month.

[This message has been edited by Dave Keller (edited 08-15-1999).]
Old 08-07-1999, 02:25 AM
Joe Smith
Visit my Photo Gallery

Like many in Club Cobra I vividly remember
the first time I saw the real item. The year
was 1967 and this car crazed kid was riding
with his father in the family sedan.

We passed the Miami, Florida Deel Ford
dealership and there it was. Sitting in the
main showroom was a beautiful, blue, Shelby
Cobra. That car, and the dreams of owning
one never left.

Over the years I'd owned some nice cars.
A 1962 Corvette, A 1967 Camaro convertible,
and the usual stable of boring, day to day
transportation machines.

The harsh realities of economics, moving,
college, and job changes put a damper on the
dream, but the spark of hope refused to die.

Last year while sitting in an airport, I
leafed through a Classic Roadsters sales
brochure that had been left on a coffee
table. Within one week I was test driving one. Just as imagined....loud, powerful,
sexy, and mind bogglingly quick. The spark
had burst into flame once again.

The search began in earnest, so much to learn...read...study. Two months (and lots
of phone calls and e-mail later) I was the
proud owner of a Midstates.

Only a Cobra owner can really appreciate
the satisfaction that driving one of these
cars can bring to it's owner. The thrill
has not diminished with time. I still grin
like that car crazy kid every time I sit
in the cockpit, turn the key, and hear the
big block Ford roar to life. The noise, the
vibration, fact that you must DRIVE this
car every second...that is the Cobra experience. Nothing else even comes close.

If you're new to this forum, if you haven't made the decision to build or buy your car, let me encourage you to not put it off. It's everything you imagined it would be...and more.

My drivers license says that I'm 42 years
old. However, because I own a Cobra I'll
always remain a grinning, car crazy, kid.
Old 08-08-1999, 12:07 PM
Mike Sullivan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Okay this is my first post on this forum. Only found Clubcobra because of reference to it by someone on the other forum.

I've always been interested in fast, gas-guzzling or otherwise speedy cars. In college I owned a '66 stang, then a '68GTO, '75 Vette and finally a Porsche in '80. Finally marriage and it was the Volvo era, ugh!! In highschool I wanted an Austin Healey but didn't have the money. Later I thought about a Cobra but again money and timing were a factor.

After pharmacy school I bought a huge store and life changed. No more cars, dreams or speed, just work.

A year ago I began having angina (chest pains) and decided I needed to see a cardiologist. He confirmed my suspicions, I needed by pass surgery. No way I said, I'm too young. Searched high and low and found a wonderful non-invasive cardiologist in San Diego and he confirmed I have a severe case of coronary artery disease but he could treat me with medication and surgery probably wouldn't be necessary. Said that without drug treatment a major heartattack was several WEEKS away. Suggested I get out from under the stress. Three months later I sold my store (am now semi-retired), bought FFR#1605 and in a week or so will have the body on. I would say that FFR#1605 has kept me away from the grim-reaper (no more stress) along with the prescribed beta blockers. My wife is happy 'cause I'm still here and seem to be in reasonably good health.

Life is good!

Mike

Old 08-08-1999, 12:10 PM
Mike Sullivan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Oops-- I'm 55.... and going!!!
Old 08-08-1999, 01:20 PM
rbray
Visit my Photo Gallery

Mike,
Welcome to the club. You'll find that everyone here is helpful and very friendly.
I see from your post that you and I have something in common. We both started building our cars after being diagnosed with a serious medical condition.
Two years a ago I was told that I have a lung disease called Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficincy ( Aka Genetic Emphysema ). My lungs are pretty much toasted, I have about
38% lung function remaining. The good news is that medication is available that will slow but not stop the disease. The bad news is that is costs $2,000.00 per week
( no typo $100,000.00 a year ).
After hearing this news and that I would need a lung transplant sometime down the road I decided not put off the things I wanted to do. One of which is building a Cobra. I have been at it about a year and I'm planning to take two more to complete.
Building the car has been a wonder stress reducer for me.
Once again welcome to the Club and if you have any questions I'm sure that you will find someone here that has run across the same problem and will be able to provide you with an answer.
take care of yourself,
regards
roger
Old 08-08-1999, 02:53 PM
Mike Sullivan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hi Roger,

I'm sorry to hear about your emphysematic condition. I'm very familar with the disease, my mom had it. Maybe I can help. I still own a Clinical Infusion Pharmacy and if you will tell me the medications, daily and weekly doses, perhaps I can get them much cheaper for you. I'd be willing to sell them to you at my cost. If you want to email me privately that would be okay.

Best Regards,

Mike
Old 08-08-1999, 05:31 PM
Neal Jackson
Visit my Photo Gallery

Mike,

Welcome to Club Cobra!

I see you are from El Centro - I grew up in Yuma - 60 miles away and have spent my share of time in El Centro and Brawley.

This is a great place for Cobra activities and friendship - hope you enjoy the time you are able to spend here.

Also, what a nice, heartwarming offer you made to Roger!!

Enjoy the Club!

Neal
Old 08-09-1999, 01:22 AM
Enzo Alibrandi
Visit my Photo Gallery

Mike,

How great of you to see if you could help Roger out. Both of you are great lessons for everyone. Many of us that are healthy or assume we are healthy just work, work, work and become complacent about the good fun light hearted things in life. I'm glad the Cobras and the Cobra projects make both of you feel good. Okay, the rest of you guys, take some time out and enjoy life. Enzo, if you're reading this that includes you!

Paula Alibrandi

P.S. I guess I need to get my own password as I'm always writing on Enzos.
Old 08-09-1999, 05:12 AM
Mike Sullivan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neal- Where in Arizona do you live? I went to highschool in Phoenix. Brophy.

Paula- When one comes to the realization that he is truly finite it changes ones outlook on life. Why chase the almight buck when they're all staying here. Over night, family, day-to-day relationships and God take priority. There's more peace.

Sorry, don't mean to preach, it's just the way things have worked out.

Mike
Old 08-09-1999, 04:47 PM
DSALKOWSKI
Visit my Photo Gallery

I'M 38 YEARS OLD, BUT ACTUALLY PURCHASED AND BEGAN BUILDING MY ERA COBRA BACK IN 1985 AT THE TENDER AGE OF 25. CLEARLY, IT HAS TAKEN A LONG TIME FOR MY CAR TO REACH ITS CURRENT LEVEL OF PERFORMANCE. WHATS THE UPSIDE TO ALL THIS TIME AND EFFORT? I WOULD SAY THIS WHOLE COBRA EXPERIENCE HAS INCREASED MY KNOWLEDGE OF AUTOMOBILE ENGINEERING BY AT LEAST 10 FOLD. FOR ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE CONSIDERING THE PURCHASE OF A COBRA REPLICA, YOU JUST NEED TO KNOW A CAR LIKE THIS NEVER REALLY GETS COMPLETED. IT EVOLVES OVER TIME WITH COUNTLESS UPGRADES AND IMPROVEMENTS. I SUSPECT THAT MUST BE THE CHALLENGE OF A CAR LIKE THIS AND WHY I STILL HAVE NEVER BEEN BORED WITH IT OVER SO MANY YEARS. BEST OF LUCK TO ANYONE MAKING A NEW PURCHASE. I WILL SAY IN CLOSING THAT I HAVE BEEN VERY PLEASED WITH MY ERA AND WOULD ENCOURAGE ANYONE CURRENTLY IN THE MARKET TO TAKE A LONG HARD LOOK AT THEIR CAR. 13 YEARS AFTER THE SALE THE PEOPLE THERE, ESPECIALLY PETER AND BOB STILL UNDERSTAND HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO KEEP THEIR CUSTOMERS HAPPY.
Old 08-10-1999, 02:33 PM
Andy Bortolotti
Visit my Photo Gallery

I'm 48 years young and have been bitten since I saw my first Cobra back in '66. We lived a short distance from Wood-Larkin Ford in Toronto Ontario, Canada and they had a performance shop that I used to go to on a summer evening when the doors would be open and just watch them work on the cars. Besides Cobras there was an A/FX car there called the "GOLDIGGER", saw a GT-40 there once, and Shelby Mustangs. Since the price of a new Cobra was about almost double that of my dad's Chrysler 300 I knew the idea of this being my first car was not a good one. After years of trying different cars some good ('67 Corvette,'69 Cuda S) some bad ('72 Gremlin)I just had to have a Cobra so there was a 289 for sale but by the time I saved $1,000. the price seemed to go up $ 2,000. so I gave up the idea until '79-'80 when I learned about kits. The replica idea really intrested me but I couldn't find a 289. So in '81 I purchased a body shell only from Aurora Cars which was the 2nd or 3rd body out of the mould that was still exactly like the original 289 they took the mould from and a chassis custom built for me. The car was first driven in the spring of '85 and I still have it today. In '93 I purchased an ,81 Aurora MKII proceeded to tear it apart and rebodied it with a Johnex FIA body. By now you might have guessed I prefer the 289 cars over the 427's. Enough said I will probably not here the end of this for some time.
Old 09-10-1999, 06:14 PM
Brent Mills
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bringing this to the top again.

Brent Mills
Club Cobra
Old 09-10-1999, 08:23 PM
ERA600hp
Visit my Photo Gallery

I was first bitten in 1966! It took me 30 years to get my Cobra!A high school dream come true!!!!I'm 49 years old, but behind the wheel I'm 18 again!
Tom
Old 09-12-1999, 09:33 AM
Richard Cowart
Visit my Photo Gallery

As it seems that this topic has resurrected, perhaps I will throw in my story. It was in the mid-to-late 70's and I was finishing up college in Texas. I was setting at a red light when my car started shaking rather noticeably. Then there was this noise that I hadn't really heard since the 60's when I devoted time to fast cars. I looked to my left and there was a Cobra. I don't know if it was an original or a kit. I rather suspect there were not too many kits at this time and it showed signs of having a few hard miles. The light quickly turned green and it was off. What a sight and experience. I had no inkling about the kit car industry until a few years ago when I walked into a magazine store at the mall and purchased a copy of a kit car magazine. That grabbed my attention and got the 'ol juices flowing. So a few years later, after much research I have decided on the kit I will get. Space limitations make it impossible to build the car at this time, but I do have a '69 351W block and crank being magafluxed this week. Might as well build the motor. Two or three other "gotta haves" are either a '65 GTO or '64 Impalla SS (a '62 would do if it was the right car) for a frame off restoration and maybe a '36-'40 Ford, probably a kit. I guess I am a prime example of once a gear head, always a gear head. Oh, I turned 50 this past May.

Regards,

Richard
Old 09-12-1999, 10:51 AM
Andrew
Visit my Photo Gallery

I am 32 years old and have been nuts for these cars for almost 4yrs.I passed by a Sunoco gas station and saw a blue/white Cobra and remembered seeing pictures of cobras(at the time we referred to them as AC Cobras) in magazines in the late 70's and early 80's. I did like them but never knew a kit market was there and did not have the $$$ anyway.
After seeing the blue Cobra at the gas station I started to research cobras and was quite surprised. I think that I started saving immediately after.
I checked out some of the kits at car shows, went to S.A.A.C. 21 and visited the local companys(N.E.).I was ready to buy when I heard Shelby(S.A.) was going to "compete" with the kit car industry.
So I looked into my new option and figured why not wait a little longer and save up a little more and buy from S.A.. So I left my deposit and almost 2yrs later I got my csx4000 cobra in Nov.1998 and have been building it over the past year. I'm almost done and I am psyched.

This site is great, I just saw this thread for the first time. I'm glad someone brought it to the top.

Andrew
Old 09-12-1999, 02:56 PM
jwoodard
Visit my Photo Gallery

I was bitten by the Snake venom when they first came out in the 60's. Just took me 35 years to own one. I'm 56 now, but when I'm behind the wheel of my Cobra, I'm 22 again.

[This message has been edited by jwoodard (edited 09-12-1999).]
Old 09-14-1999, 06:43 AM
John Spagnola
Visit my Photo Gallery

I am currently 32 years old and started my Cobra when I was 27 years old. I have a brother 12 years older than me that got me interested in Cobra's. So, I have him to thank for "showing me the ropes" about cars.
He also played a big part in building the car which I feel is half his. Although he insists that its only mine.

John