10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-03-2007, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am interested in these seats. Can anyone comment on the difference between these seats and the Kirkey Vintage Class Bucket Seat? The price is not the issue. Also, can some one recommend a good passenger seat that I can install in my project that would look and feel good for the wife with on a Sunday drive. Would a Ken Miles seat be good for the passenger?
Old 11-04-2007, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

I have been told that that comp cars that ran these seats just had a "regular" passenger seat next to it, but if you wanted to spend the dough I am sure you could put a similar seat in the passenger side.

Kramer
Old 02-13-2008, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

Has anyone used high density memory or other high-tech foam on these seats? Are they as comfy as the regular seats?

I'm no expert.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Lew

Yes we did use High Density foam in the bottom and the sides and the back.......

The foam helps...... but the seat is not a good seat to use on a race track...... or long rides..... just doesn't support the driver or the passenger....

The Kirkey Vintage seat is much better and holds you in place much better. higher sides and better rib support.

Morris
Old 02-13-2008, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Morris. My car is used on the street. It is my daily driver when its above 50 and below 85 and not raining. Is the seat more or less comfortable than the stock seat? I am trying to sit lower in the car as I am 6'4". I have more than enough leg room with the dropped pedal boxes, but I look over the windshield. I removed about an inch of foam from my stock seat and mounted it directly to the floor. I would like to sit even lower, but still want to be comfortable.

Thanks

I'm no expert.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Lew

You bet .....adding the foam from Aircraft Spruce to the bottom sides and back of the seat made for a comfortable seat ........and in one of my post we cover how we did that...... on the seat you are talking about.......

In the end it did get me lower in the car and was not a bad ride ....... the foam is the foam that pilots sit on for hours..... then we put the cover over the foam.

And Lew thanks for the tip on the foot box a while back...... not only did we make up a plate for the feet to rest on but we put a 2" bar at the end of the plate to act as a foot rest and brace for your feet.

Try this..... Kirkham Motorsports Automobile Club

Morris

Last edited by Morris; 02-14-2008 at 09:26 AM..
Old 02-14-2008, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Morris. I was leaning towards Aircraft Spruce. Your recommendation is very much valued. I might have a leather cover made locally and put GT40 grommets in it if that helps with ventilation.

I'm no expert.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Are these seats still available, can they be used with a seat runner??

thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BMBC,

I will have to look up the guys contact information tomorrow, but when I get in the office I will send you his contact information.

Kramer
Old 02-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Lew one of the big guys on here (MDMAN352) came up with a clever solution. I did some tunnel, footbox and exhaust mods and he had his upholsterer make up a cushion for the bottom and back. It looks like a Cobra seat but gets him low and back and is comfortable. I'll find a picture of it.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

I love my racing seat. I'm not sure of the make, but it fits very snug.

It also prevents anyone with anything close to thick hips from asking to drive the car.

Here's a shot.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2010, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had Steve make me one of these seats and really like it. The quality is very nice and I love the way I feel driving the car. If you guys are interested you should call Steve and ask about them...If my old contact information is correct his number is 201-213-2681. Let me know if you have any other questions.

PS...regarding the earlier comment on Kirkey seat....I think that is a good seat as well but I would hold the one I have up to it any day....MORE importantly it looks "right" in the car.

Kramer
Old 02-15-2010, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Exact 427 Carbon Car
Not Ranked     
Default Ken MIles seat

I have one of these seats for my Carbon Cobra. I too added the Aircraft Spruce material under the seat cover (Apollo tech vrs Space shuttle tech) BTW the seat cover that came with the Miles seat is very nice and goes well with the Shelby seat on the passenger side. And I have to argree the look is better than the Kirkey with the Workmanship on another level. Just too bad the nice plaque is in an area nobody will ever see.
Richard
Old 04-16-2011, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are these seats still available? I sent Steve a PM, but haven't heard back. I am not sure if he still checks CC. I have one, but it was the biggest size that Steve made at the time. i ended up using a Kirkey instead. Since I don't track the car, I don't need all of the lateral support that the Kirkey offers. My main objective is to sit as low and as far back as possible, so that is why I am not using the stock seat. Since I ordered my Ken Miles seat, I've lost a bunch of weight, so if I could use a smaller version of the Ken Miles seat, I would buy one.

If anyone knows how they size these seats, I measured 18" at both the hip measurement and the back measurement as per teh Ken Miles seat measuring instructions. Does anyone know if this still equates to the biggest seat, or could I bump down a size?

Thanks,

Lew

I'm no expert.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have one that Steve made for me that I don't use if interested. I don't know what size it is but I can tell you that I am a 34 waist and it fits me just fine. After having it in the car for the past two years, I find myself using the stock seat more often. If you want mine, I will consider selling it to you.

PM if interesting and I can get you some pics, details, etc.

Kramer
Old 05-13-2022, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default I know it has been a while

Does anyone know if these seats are still being produced or have contact information? Thanks -- Jim
Old 05-15-2022, 04:19 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, MKIII
Not Ranked     

yes i would buy one of these seats as well
Old 05-15-2022, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Steve sunshine made these seats. I have one. They are top notch and very period correct. I have not heard from Steve in about 8 years now. I doubt they are still being made. His contact info is here in his page.