26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #243 - 351W stroked to 418
Not Ranked     

I think it would be more like the old joke that goes: Most serious accidents start with the words, "Watch THIS!"
Old 05-01-2007, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

Durt - I'll be the second 1 to say "have fun" !!! Sounds like that is what the night is about rather than serious competition.

If you smoke off the line ... ohh well ... the crowd'll love it

practice practice practice
Old 05-01-2007, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah - the guys from my Audi tuner shop (Wicked Motorsports) have rented the track for the day. It's mostly for bragging rights among Audis & Bimmers. I'm going to be comic relief. I just hope I don't get smoked by a TT because I crap my pants at the tree.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

I think the others said most of the good advice.

With you being in LA near sea level you're going to have a nice low DA along with good power from your stroked small block. I'd start off real easy at first and go for trap speed. Work into making swifter starts until you realize were the tires don't hold. You'll probably do pretty good bumping out of the hole just above idle. If your tires stick and you launch at 3500 rpm you'll probably snap those Superformance half shafts off in the rear end. If you spin you probably won't break anything.

We'll look forward to how you do. Have fun.

Were did you get the game chair to hold the steering wheel?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The game chair in my photos? I got that from Bob Earle Racing. It had a Playstation with GT4 hooked up to it, but I now have a ridiculous PC racing sim with the Logitech wheel & pedals that includes a clutch. I can drive like a bonehead & live to tell about it.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Matt,

Great insight and advice!

It's difficult to resist revving it to three grand and dumping the clutch, but I think you're right! Leaving on the last yellow I figured out on my own!

Thanks,

Lowell
Old 05-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In Red Neck country thats, "Hold my beer and watch this."
Old 05-01-2007, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Hey, I resemble that remark...........funny, my seven year old has started saying that (oh yeah, without the beer part), and it always preceeds something really dumb. Must be genetic - I told him to be careful as that's the famous last words of many of his ancestors

Great drag tips - I'm in the same boat as Durt but hope to get on to Atlanta Dragway sometime soon and don't want Ashley Force to laugh at me ....." Hey Ashley, hold my beer and watch this!!"
Old 05-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
I've found just a little wheel spin works best for me. The trick is to control it, and it's a fine line between a 'little' and 'going up in smoke'. I launch around 2500 rpm or so, but it really depends on your gears and tires what works best for you.

Surprisingly I worry more about the 2nd gear shift, THATS when I'm more likely to get serious wheel spin, at times accompanied by a serious 'pucker factor' as the car starts to dance around!
Dito - be careful hitting 2nd! I have also had mine start to drift towards the top (sweet spot) of 3rd gear.

Make a few easy runs and get the feel.

It is a blast!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     

kmp

Dwight
Old 05-01-2007, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Looking
Not Ranked     

How does the average 435/450 HP Cobrado in the 1/4 compared to a mild Corvette C5 or C6 Not the Z06???
chuck
Old 05-01-2007, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing
Not Ranked     

Its all about the driving. I have a 350hp SB and have beat every vette I've ever lined up against at street night at the local track including the Z06s. They are quick though. The last Z06 I raced was just as quick as my car. To date I've run a best of 12.0 @ 114mph with a 1.8 60' time on lousy BF T/A street tires. I average in the low 12s.

(This year is going to be a little different. Picked up a set of drag tires/wheels just for the track and added a 150hp shot of nitrous (just in case)!).

Last edited by Matt Kennedy; 05-01-2007 at 11:40 PM..
Old 05-04-2007, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     
Question

Everything Matt posted is bible ! When I'm prepping myself prior to the run I like to watch/count the lights go down as other racers leave. Once you get the timing sequence in your head it helps leave on that last yellow when it's your turn on the line. The lights seem fast at first but they reallt are not .
I like Red's turning of the tach trick too ! But I use the timing light because I need that halogen smack in the face to get the hands moving !
If you roll out in first and rip them loose each time in 2nd you can try a pass short shifting or pulling the stick as the tach reaches 5K rpm to keep it under control when you stand on it in 2nd.
Guys....would pre-loading the RR IRS shock a full turn on the coil spring lessen that pull to the left by increasing traction to the RR tire ?
Old 05-13-2007, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Interestig thread. Most of the stuff mentioned applys, some don't. But in almost ALL light cars like Cobras a one/two short shift will make stick cars go faster. A short shift is shifting to second on the launch after the tires grab, but shifting to second before you tack out too the next shift. Another thing thats inexpensive and really helps is a shift light, the adjustable kind for each gear. Don't forget a driveshaft loop and enjoy, because chances are you will lose,,,,a lot!

Last edited by cobrashoch; 05-13-2007 at 07:43 PM..
Old 05-15-2007, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt
Thanks for the tips! I'll post results after the event on the 13th.

Durt

How did you do? Any video or time slips?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Durt,

I'm still holding my breath waiting for your results.

Durt? Durt? Anyone? Anyone?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C 427 FE S.O. 484 cu in
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt
I've always regretted that Superformance comes with a stock IRS. In a car this small, I can't imagine the "improved" handling characteristics are worth the constant demolition of half shafts (I rip at least one CV boot every time I track the car.) They don't appear to be any more durable in the twisties than they are under hard acceleration. I'd love to retrofit a solid axle sometime in the future.
Get some custom halfshalfs made.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK - here's my story & I'm stickin' to it.
The event I attended was billed as the German Tuner Car Challenge (my other hot rod is a heavily modified Audi S4) at the LA County dragstrip outside of Palmdale. The organizer is my tuner & he told me to bring the Cobra just for grins. At the last minute, he requested I bring the S4.
I have a Stage 3 set up producing about 450hp - 300 or so to all 4 wheels. It was hot & LACD is a slow track at altitude, but I ran consistent high 12s. Some of the young hotshoes ran low 11s.
Sooooooo - sorry to report I have yet to soil my pants on a dragstrip in the Cobra.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Ranger's 1/4 mile Z06 times, with stock tires and drag radials, no modifications

'02 Z06 350 passes
Bone Stock Stock Tires……11.81 117.26 1.78 60'
w/ CAI & DRs………...........11.52 120.21 1.64 60'
Old 07-09-2007, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA, S. Automotive 354 stroker
Not Ranked     

There's some great advice in this thread, especially the part about the low rpm launch and taking the driveline slack up with the clutch. I typically launch my Cobra at 2200-2500 rpm, no higher. With a Jag IRS and Nitto DR's I get 1.6-1.7 60' consistently, with best time of 11.7 @ 116. Here's a video of it (notice that the launch is fairly undramatic, it just hooks and goes ):

-Robert

Last edited by Unique 289_FIA; 07-09-2007 at 08:06 PM..