Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2007, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR Hell Red/Black Stripe 342R
Not Ranked     
Default Enclosed Trailer Options

I am considering purchasing an enclosed trailer to haul the cobra to distant events. What I am looking for is everyone's experience in the purchase and the options I should consider, basically the must haves vs. the nice to have. I have been told, don't consider any trailer less than 20ft due to resale potential (most cars are longer than a cobra). Basic prices are pretty comparable, but it seems the dealers try to bump the price on the options. I will pull the trailer with a F250 Diesel Pick-up. If anyone has a lead on dealers in South Florida or ones to avoid, I would appreciate the help.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #968 / Genesis 427 Aluminum S/O
Not Ranked     

"db",

I just took delivery of an 18' enclosed CargoMate "Qualifier". Upgraded to 5400# axles for resale value. Standard with electric brakes, 2 manual roof vents, 4 interior lights, dovetail floor, wood flooring/walls/ceiling, 36" side door and a diamond plate stone guard. Pretty much meat and potatoes. The Cobra just sticks its nose into the side door, so very easy to access for tools, tires, etc.

I'm pulling with an F-150 w/ 5.4 liter. Nice control on the highway. I pulled a 20' around a couple of times, but prefer the shorter length. No complaints here.

My advice: match the cobra, truck and trailer colors. Mine are all blue. Lots of looks and many, many complements. Also, I decided not to place any decals or information on the exterior. It makes it a target for thieves.
SPF #968 w/ Genesis Aluminum 427 S/O
CVAR vintage racer: 1965 Mustang Fastback w/ HP 302
Old 05-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvDaBlues
"db",

I just took delivery of an 18' enclosed CargoMate "Qualifier". Upgraded to 5400# axles for resale value. Standard with electric brakes, 2 manual roof vents, 4 interior lights, dovetail floor, wood flooring/walls/ceiling, 36" side door and a diamond plate stone guard. Pretty much meat and potatoes. The Cobra just sticks its nose into the side door, so very easy to access for tools, tires, etc.

I'm pulling with an F-150 w/ 5.4 liter. Nice control on the highway. I pulled a 20' around a couple of times, but prefer the shorter length. No complaints here.

My advice: match the cobra, truck and trailer colors. Mine are all blue. Lots of looks and many, many complements. Also, I decided not to place any decals or information on the exterior. It makes it a target for thieves.
Dito - but I did the 20' - I shopped around a lot and this was the best overall value I found. I did add a winch mounted in the front.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. I also think the winch is a good idea. I had not thought about the decals, but you have a very good point. Thanks for the advice. If anyone has something to add, please post.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

I don't own a trailer, but I do recall previous threads on the subject that talked about ensuring that the frame rails are 16" center-to-center or something like that? The reasoning was that some trailers are manufactured with less frame support/outrigger material and that a greater density below aided in overall weight bearing and structural integrity. I recall this characteristic because I wonder how many check out the bottom of a trailer before they buy it?

-Dean
Old 05-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     

db, recently ordered a 20' Pace Shadow GT .. fairly fancy, you don't really need an interior if all you do is haul. But do consider the length of the entire rig. You can pull even a 28' with your SuperDuty, but think about handling the thing in gas stations, hotel lots, and restaurants. I have seen a lot of 20's at events, pretty popular size. You can strap down a tool chest and even a set of track wheels/tires in front.

Get brakes on both axles. Surplus axle capacity costs extra, but makes for better resale. Depends on your price sensitivity. Do plan for GCTW plus 1000# so you can pack some heavy tools for the track.

I notice a lot of internet dealers in the southeast US .. check racingjunk.com and ebay for deals. Good luck!

Sam
Old 05-15-2007, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Has anyone researched converting a 10 wheel van body to a enclosed trailer.
The economics would have to be close to margin. It could be a challenge to get the axles, wheels to fit.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     

I'm designing and building a low line aerodynamic all alloy trailer to haul my Superformance Coupe This unit is not designed to take my shop to the track but the bare minimum to run a weekend's events. Minimum interior room, but still room for four extra wheels/tires and a tool box. With the price of fuel I think aero drag and weight can be trimmed to the absolute minimum, so milage won't suffer. Interor height is only 60" so I can still carry a small sedan if neccessary. This thing will be unlike anything ever seen before! If all goes as exected I plan on making production versions. Peter Brock
Old 05-16-2007, 07:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default Brock Hauler?

Intriguing announcement, Peter Please tell more about your prototype when you can. I think there is an unserved market for a 2500# empty weight enclosed car hauler with aero design. Something that could be towed with any light truck or mid SUV with 6000# capability. Love the idea of the Serpent .. but some of us feel better about leaving a hard side hauler parked at night.

Sam
Old 05-16-2007, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys, thanks for the additional posts on this. Your comments and experience will certainly help me in not making a major mistake or spend money needlessly. I will also check the racejunk website. I have not come across that one before.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

check www.serpentexpress.com
Old 05-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I have a friend with a trailer for sale. He used it to haul his Cobra. He is buying a new house and needs to move some toys. I will call him tomorrow and get a price. I'll try to post a pic.

Dwight

24 ft Pace Shadow GT package

50 amp box

3500 lb axles

Extended ramp

Front tool cabinets

Door cabinet

Plus upgrades:

Approx. 18-20 Awning - $1500.00

AC $500.00

Weight distribution hitch $400.00

Generator pullout tray - $500.00

Spare tire $75.00

Last edited by Dwight; 05-16-2007 at 08:18 PM..
Old 05-17-2007, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe #139
Not Ranked     

Highly recommend getting an escape door on the side of the trailer. While it's not as much of
an advantage with an open cockpit car like a Cobra, it's a necessity with a lot of other cars.

I also recommend having E-tracks installed on the floor for the front. I use tire bonnets to
tie down the front - much easier than trying to crawl under the car and attach to the frame.

FFR4784CP The only Daytona Coupe with a "Falk'n Bubble"
http://www.replicapromotions.com
Old 05-17-2007, 06:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2450, Roush 342RE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfalk
I also recommend having E-tracks installed on the floor for the front. I use tire bonnets to
tie down the front - much easier than trying to crawl under the car and attach to the frame.
The escape door is a good idea and I plan to get one to use when hauling my sedan.

Do you have any pics re the "Bonnets" and e-track tie down systems?
Thanks, Ivan
Old 05-17-2007, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#1325, Miller Machine FE
Not Ranked     
Default What do you want to spend?

I got a 20' Haulmark with the purchase of my Cobra and pull it with a F350 diesel. Perfect for hauling around New England, plenty of storage(tools, jacks, wheels and tires, etc.). It also has extra cabinets and a work bench in the nose. I have seen them for 4 or 5 thousand. Some rust issues that need yearly maintainance but otherwise very satisfied. Featherlite makes a nice v nose trailer for around 10 thousand. All Aluminum no rust issues. It is my next trailer.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again for all the contributions to this thread. The ideas and must haves will really help in my purchase. Dwight, that Alabama Club trailer is a real nice rig. That may be more than I was looking for in my first trailer, but why not start out big. I have always said "buy the best and you will never be disappointed".
Old 05-20-2007, 06:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

Just a note

I just ordered a 20' trailer off e-bay. Built to order in Douglas, Georgia. I got the color to match the truck, ceiling, escape door, spare, dropped axles etc.. The final cost was less than $5k. This was over $1000 cheaper than anything else I looked at. The big hit now seems to be delivery with the price of fuel.
They all want about $1.50 a mile to deliver. I'll pick this one up in Georgia in June. Maker is Lark manufacturing. It's my first trailer too, so we'll see if it's any good.

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 09-06-2007, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I know this post is a little old, but what is the story on this trailer, is it still available and if so how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight
I have a friend with a trailer for sale. He used it to haul his Cobra. He is buying a new house and needs to move some toys. I will call him tomorrow and get a price. I'll try to post a pic.

Dwight

24 ft Pace Shadow GT package

50 amp box

3500 lb axles

Extended ramp

Front tool cabinets

Door cabinet

Plus upgrades:

Approx. 18-20 Awning - $1500.00

AC $500.00

Weight distribution hitch $400.00

Generator pullout tray - $500.00

Spare tire $75.00

Old 09-06-2007, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Several
Not Ranked     

Badger

Need cool light trailer for Cob/L212/Turner-type cars. 30-90 days?

How are you doing on your project?

V
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington
Old 09-06-2007, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     

A slight misfortune this year set me back a few months, so the new "aero trailer" has not yet been built. It's still on for this year however so stay tuned...should be interesting! Badger