Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Worlds Fastest Cobra

Does anyone know who has set the top speed record for a stock bodied naturally aspirated Fe powered Cobra without nitrous and on gasoline? There was a show on last week about Bonneville and it focused on several families . Some were trying to get to certain MPH levels and some were trying to set top speed records in a class. One was a retired Dr. with a Sunbeam. Unfortunatley he didnt make his goal but said he'd be back next year. Lets face it the Cobra is about as aerodynamic as a Brick but the record does belong to someone. Who is it and what car and equiptment was he using? Im particularly interrested in gear ratios, tires, and WHAT HE DID TO BRACE THAT WINDSHIELD
Michael
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

I believe that the late Dick Smith has the honor of that distinction. Hence the 198 on his car.

RIP, Dick.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Car builder/restorer FFR
Not Ranked     

I've never heard of anyone going faster than Dick. His car at the time had a comp windscreen, 331-1 rear gear, really tall Firestone tires and was turning the engine over 8000 revs. He told me the story many times.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

Gordon , did Dick say anything about the engine/trans and fuel that was used ? Was it done in a Original Cobra? Where was this done at? Thanks to both you and Dave for your comments.

Michael
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #89 Keith Craft Genesis 427 so, stroked to 482, 649 hp. Sabre GT 40 #16 351W stroked to 408, 527hp, TWM stack injection, Fast XFI, G50/50.
Not Ranked     
Default Daytona

here you go some info from Dick's car show sign

John
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2007, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It was done at Daytona in 1967 on the backstretch, Before the chicain was added. The car is original CSX3035.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Glad to see "some" form of documentation.

Dr. Larry Mayfield (mayf) runs the sunbeam (twin turbo 302) and is aiming to be the world's fastest sunbeam (a little over 200 is needed.) GO LARRY!

David
world's fastest miata (yawn) 152.2+ on the limiter in fifth (without full throttle) - yes, I have time slips.
(maybe I should get the aluminum brick out?)

PS: thanks for the info!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I heard through the grapevine that a couple of Cobras will be trying to set records @ the Salt Flats in the not to distant future. Should be fun to watch.
As for the question about Dick Smith's speed yes it was with a 427 FE on gasoline.
Don't forget Breedlove drove a coupe to 180 mph @ Bonneville with a 289.
Oh ya, Bonneville is at 4200 ft above sea level.

Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird
Old 05-23-2007, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave, as for documantation. I have seen the certificate for that speed signed by Bill France.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Salt flat speed records are measured over a mile distance BOTH ways within an hours time. That is far different than a short run down the straight away of a race track.

Not taking anything away from Dick, who by the way, has stated his actual speed was in excess of 200 mph at some point during those tests. Using gear/speed/tire size calculators reveal that LESS than 8000 rpm is required to hit 198 mph.

7600 rpm, 29" tire (allow for GROWTH, could be even taller at speed), 3.31 rear gear, 1 to 1 trans gear= 198. 7700 rpm is 200 mph.

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-23-2007 at 10:20 AM..
Old 05-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #89 Keith Craft Genesis 427 so, stroked to 482, 649 hp. Sabre GT 40 #16 351W stroked to 408, 527hp, TWM stack injection, Fast XFI, G50/50.
Not Ranked     

heres a pic of the certification of speed. Sorry about the glare, try not to look at my ugly mug in the reflection.

John
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2007, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Ecaliber

I have often stated that the 198 would have been exceeded - possibly with the driver not being aware as they battle to hang on...

Mmm 198 in a Cobra with not additional downdraft panelling/spoilers..
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 05-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Interesting point Bernie, I recall more than once at the race track people asking how fast I was going, what rpm did I hit at the end of the straight, etc.

Generally, I have NO CLUE! It's all I can do to focus on driving it and a glance at the guages is quickly forgotten in the heat of battle.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've got no problem w/ the claim. Its the guys that always say "That's nothing, I've had mine to (pick your speed) 231 . . . ." I always ask for documentation (unless he has a red hat = 200 club @ Bonneville) and no one has it.

It takes a little bit of power to get going that fast - and think about this . . .on the Salt you have a mile or two (or five)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Levy
Dave, as for documantation. I have seen the certificate for that speed signed by Bill France.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I understand Dave, I've been 180 in several cars including Dicks. The only one I've been over 200 is in a Lola can am car.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

is breadloves speed the tops for a coupe??at the flats
Old 05-23-2007, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

I can almost see the air going in the mouth of a Cobra at speeds over 200 and ripping the body off... Could that happen"
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 05-23-2007, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Whew, CanAm car has a little different aero than a Cobra (not to mention a little more "oomph").

I was under the impression the SAI race roadsters never got over 170 - but the old horses weren't as strong as the new horses (haha?)

(you must have a little more faith than I do!)

cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Levy
I understand Dave, I've been 180 in several cars including Dicks. The only one I've been over 200 is in a Lola can am car.

Last edited by DavidinDurango; 05-23-2007 at 07:18 PM..
Old 05-23-2007, 10:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Long story short, in Nov. 1965 Goodyear was in a heated land speed battle with Firestone. To keep the salt reserved they (Goodyear) had to keep running on it. They called Shelby and he sent Daytona coupe CSX2287 with Tom Greatorex and a set of LeMans 2.88:1 gears to Bonneville for Craig Breedlove & Bob Tatroe to drive. First they set 23 USAC/FIA standing & flying mile records then they set a 12 hr. endurance record of 1,931 miles averaging 150 mph due to long pit stops although they had been running over 170 mph.
This car is the last of the "6" Daytona Coupes to be restored as it came out of hiding 5 or 6 years ago.

Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird
Old 05-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It takes a very good head using todays best technology to equal or better the flow of heads available in the mid 60's. High Risers (1964 last year of production) were outlawed in 1965 by NASCAR, for instance. The Tunnel port/wedge heads of yesteryear are another example. These STOCK heads will STILL outflow just about any stock head you can buy today. Edelbrock can't do it without significant machine shop work. It is not unreasonable to speculate that 700 or more horse could be had with an FE in the '60's. A horse power number that is STILL pretty rare for even a well built modern FE today.

NASCAR started down sizing from big blocks and restricting the engines in other ways for one simple reason: The cars were to fast, and aerodynamics was nothing to compared to todays technology.

By the way, what Dyno didn't mention in his 'short story' was that the Coupe at Bonnevile had a slipping clutch toward to the end of it's record breaking run. It 'limped' to the finish and STILL set a significant record!

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-24-2007 at 01:28 AM..