Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2007, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default In serious need of 16" tires

I'm in a world of hurt for some tires that will work with my 16" Compomotives. Anyone have any suggestions? I've searched Tire Rack and everywhere else I can think of for some replacements for my 255/50/16s front and 275/50/16s rear. I can find 295s in that same BF Goodrich TA, but not a matching 245 or 255 tire. I would rather not replace the wheels as they are perfect for the car. But I will do what I must to get back on the road.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/255-5...QQcmdZViewItem

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2387, 427 W, Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Hoosier

Hoosier makes some road race and auto cross tires in alot of 16" sizes. My Porsche runs 16" rims and 225 50 front and 245 50 rear. I think they may have exactly the size you are looking for. The downside is they are dry tires with only circumferential (sp?) grooves. They pick up every thing and throw it up at the fender like a sling. Not so good for a glass body car. With the right fender protection and dry only driving you would have sticky tires that all the 15" guys would die to have. The mileage is not too bad for a car which you may put 2-5k/yr on. Check them out.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     

Look at Dunlop SP Sport 8000, come in both sizes, not stupid sticky, but work well and have a good look
Old 06-21-2007, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. I'm starting to stress here. I've spoken to Hoosier, Coker, BF Goodrich etc. The ebay tires are all the same size and I need wider rubber for the rear. I've got to get the front and back to match. BF Goodrich can put me in a 295/50/16 and a 265/60/16. I think the back ones will work as from what I can tell, the height difference is minor compared to the existing 275/50/16s.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C 427 FE S.O. 484 cu in
Not Ranked     

Hey Tony,
I saw your car at SA. Looked good. Susan said that it was fast. What say you?
Old 06-22-2007, 02:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony, thanks. I don't have anything to compare to, but she's capable of raising my heart rate once in a while. As is usually the case with major surgery, she's better coming out than she was going in. But I still have a sever vibration issue to resolve. Hopefully some new rubber will solve that.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are you having that 60-65 MPH shimmy? Good rubber usually solves that.

You might want to call John Kerr @ Crendon Replicars in England. He run 16s on his cars. Ask Susan for his phone number. SA builds engines for him.

Good luck
Old 06-22-2007, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have put a plan in motion. I ordered the BFGs, which should arrive at NTB on Monday. Someone will ferry the tires to J3 Motorsports where they will be mounted, ballanced and put on the car. They will also set up the suspension, making any suspension adjustments that might be required due to the tires being slightly larger (unlikely). And finally (knock on wood), my vibration problem will be solved. As a result of the pursuit of this ever elusive gremlin, I wil have a new car!
Old 06-22-2007, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Tony, I hope you win the lottery by drawing 4 round BFGs (or at least round fronts). I could never completely get rid of the shimmy with them, and it wasn't until I switched to Yokos that it was gone once and for all. But, I am running 15s.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

New rubber is always better. Good luck with it. You might have to think about going to 17s.
Save up for some Vintage 17" knock offs.
I am thinking, unless they do something about supplying good 15 inch rubber, I might have to have a spare set of 17s. With my car I will powder coat the wheels black.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You know it's funny, but after all my car has been through during the last few months, out of sheer desperation, I dropped her off at a local shop - J3 Motorsports. They're basically a Porsche racing team who sets up / modifies cars for racing. They've already found a few issues that could effect my ride quality, and none related to tires.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Radford
You know it's funny, but after all my car has been through during the last few months, out of sheer desperation, I dropped her off at a local shop - J3 Motorsports. They're basically a Porsche racing team who sets up / modifies cars for racing. They've already found a few issues that could effect my ride quality, and none related to tires.
Well that is god news. Have you ever done a 4 wheel alignment?
Old 06-23-2007, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I took her to Granturismo East last year for a hyper-precision balance and alignment as I had out of round issues with one or two tires. They stood up to their reputation and did a stellar job. The guys at J3 have a nice alignment rig as well. I'm thinking about at least changing the rear tires from the current 275s to the new 295s I have coming. My tires are so old. The found a really bad Ujoint in my drive shaft and a coupld of wheel bearings are bad. They also plan to take up some slack in my rear wheels as they insist they're too loose.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am running 295/50s on the rear but they are 15s.They are 26.5 inches tall.
Wheel bearing can effect steering for sure. Bad u-joint? been hammering it little to hard?

Let us know how she feels after everything is done.