28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 11:32 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Angry Dissed by a fellow Cobra owner WTF

So here I am cruising the back roads of southern Penn. last weekend in a friends BB Cobra (dark green no stripes, no rollbar, no sidepipes) when I pull in to the gas station to fill up his tank (hey 428CJ's drink a lot of fuel, especially when I drive ;D ). When in pulls a group of "far superior" built "other brand" cobras. Three of the drivers get out and walk over to the car I was driving and start telling me how superior their cars are to "mine" how theirs have round tube frames and modern suspensions and how their body is much better copy of the original than mine (perky trunk lid and all) and how they built them from scratch. Then they start picking on the car I was in, look at the lack of quality of the paint with all of the chips, and how the brakes seem to be inadequate and how the knock offs I was using just did not look right, same goes for the dash and gauge layout and the faded carpets, and what is this, a radio mounted up underneath the dash, REAL cobras never came like this. So I allow them to finish their dissertation and basic unrequested comment period and walk back to their superior self built cars...I then decided it was time to check the oil level on the 428CJ, so I shoo them away and pop open the hood...it's only then that the fourth driver in their party walks up and says "hey I know this car it's owned by "Joe xxxxxxx (not his real name), hey guys, come on over and check out this all original 427 street car" (CSX3000 series two owners since new and still wearing it's original paint ) . yet these fellows stay by their cars across the parking lot from where the two of us are now conversing. You want to talk about seeing three adults make fools out of themselves, well I'm sorry I did not have a camera handy to catch the look on their faces when they realized they just put down an original car as not being well built or looking as original as it could. So I get back in the car and fire it up and give them all a wave, only the fourth driver who came over to chat me up about the car waved back...WTF :P ..The moral of the story, hell there isn't one I just wanted to share the flip side of the "koolaid" equation...Funny how certain cobra owners are blinded by their own brand, and so jaded towards other brands that they cannot appreciate the other automobile(s) for what they are.......

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-08-2007, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA, S. Automotive 354 stroker
Not Ranked     

There's that kind of people amongst Cobra owners, too. It's unfortunate, but that's life. Good story, though!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Your not alone!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

Great story Bill. I wish I knew someone with an original that trusted me enough to let me have it for a day.
John
Old 07-08-2007, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Geez...can I guess what make cars they were driving? Hmmmmmmmm?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

Just the opposite happened to me at a Good Guys car show. My Hi Tech was up on a display for the owner of Qwik Lift. A Superformance tech came over and complemented me on my original cobra and wondered how I dared leave it unattended. Made my day.
John
Old 07-08-2007, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe
Geez...can I guess what make cars they were driving? Hmmmmmmmm?
Probably ones with really really strong frames and driven by racing experts
Old 07-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #212, 392 stroker
Not Ranked     

That's f^cked up!
It's obvious they don't have a real appriciation for the Cobra, original or replica.
You did the right thing.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

They must have been blinded by the Kool Aid in the eyes and the big chunk of DS crap on the nose.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

They, like others I've seen in the hotrod community, only have an appreciation for their checkbook, and their ability to outspend other people. I'm willing to bet they sat there and listed off everything that was "superior" about their cars that was found in the brochure, right?

Unique 289_FIA is right...there are elitist, snobbish, a$$holes in pretty much every area of motoring...just pick your model, there will be a snob-subset. Usually the worst of them are the one's that are "above" turning the wrenches themselves, too. I've noticed that there is a fairly large number of these type of dingleberries in the Corvette crowd too. There's a vette club in the local area here, and some of them are decent folks, but then there are others that feel that because they could cut a check for a vette, that somehow the world owes them respect. I have one of those yahoos living just a couple houses down from me. God forbid you're backing into your driveway when he's pulling through in his vette...you'll have offended his delicate sensibilities almost instantly. To quote Bugs, "What a maroon!"

Funny thing is, I get this sort of behavior with regard to my old pickup truck! I get guys in their new Ford Superduties, Dodges, and Chevys that absolutely feel the need to talk down my truck whenever in a parking lot, letting me know that the "technology has surpassed" my old beastie. That well may be true, but I'll take my behemoth anyday. Oh, it's a 79 Ford F250 Ranger XLT Trailer Special, supercab, 4x4...not too many of those on the road anymore.

Same goes for my Caddy......it's just an 11 year old Deville, but it's only got 60k miles on it, and it's straight as an arrow. I still get guys in their beemers and Mercedes that have to let me know it's just NOT in their league. Whatever...my beasts will be on the road long after they're on their 7th subsequent lease of the "newest" POS to hit the streets.

Some people just aren't able to show respect and appreciation for others and what they have. They have to make up for their own shortcomings by overcompensating and cutting other people down. They usually expose themselves by their own stupidity. Sorry you had to experience it too.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

A real nice touch to finish off your day. Sounds like a real classy group. So much for being an honest cobra enthusiast. So often its the ones who don't have a clear understanding what they are looking at with their own eyes that are the first to criticize, for the simple reason they don't understand it. Insecurity comes to mind. Anyone wearing a brown shirt?
Hey Bill, did they look like they were eleven year old Jr. high girls or did they just act like it.

Accolades to you for taking the high road.

Last edited by lineslinger; 07-08-2007 at 01:40 PM..
Old 07-08-2007, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Porsche Club (PCA) is the same way (or worse). I was a member/owner/racer for a long time and you meet the whole range of owners. The funny thing is that the snobs don't know anything about their cars and they don't want to talk to you about them for fear they might sound stupid.
Some are enthusiasts and others own them as jewelry.
Larry
Old 07-08-2007, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Knowledge always trumps attitude

I love it when people think they know. Sometimes it's the booze talking, whatever.
I have a good friend who says, "NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT, BECAUSE THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE!"
I take my hat off to you Bill.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     
Wink

and the other guys didn't even wave, that is disgusting. I bet they were guys that wrote a check for their cars,probably cannot even change a tire much less build a car.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBetts
"NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT, BECAUSE THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE!"
I've got one that kinda fits the scenario as well, "Arguing with a wanna-be motorhead snob is like wrestling with a pig in the mud...after a while, you realize the pig enjoys it!"

Old 07-08-2007, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang
So here I am cruising the back roads of southern Penn. last weekend in a friends BB Cobra (dark green no stripes, no rollbar, no sidepipes) when I pull in to the gas station to fill up his tank (hey 428CJ's drink a lot of fuel, especially when I drive ;D ). When in pulls a group of "far superior" built "other brand" cobras. Three of the drivers get out and walk over to the car I was driving and start telling me how superior their cars are to "mine" how theirs have round tube frames and modern suspensions and how their body is much better copy of the original than mine (perky trunk lid and all) and how they built them from scratch. Then they start picking on the car I was in, look at the lack of quality of the paint with all of the chips, and how the brakes seem to be inadequate and how the knock offs I was using just did not look right, same goes for the dash and gauge layout and the faded carpets, and what is this, a radio mounted up underneath the dash, REAL cobras never came like this. So I allow them to finish their dissertation and basic unrequested comment period and walk back to their superior self built cars...I then decided it was time to check the oil level on the 428CJ, so I shoo them away and pop open the hood...it's only then that the fourth driver in their party walks up and says "hey I know this car it's owned by "Joe xxxxxxx (not his real name), hey guys, come on over and check out this all original 427 street car" (CSX3000 series two owners since new and still wearing it's original paint ) . yet these fellows stay by their cars across the parking lot from where the two of us are now conversing. You want to talk about seeing three adults make fools out of themselves, well I'm sorry I did not have a camera handy to catch the look on their faces when they realized they just put down an original car as not being well built or looking as original as it could. So I get back in the car and fire it up and give them all a wave, only the fourth driver who came over to chat me up about the car waved back...WTF :P ..The moral of the story, hell there isn't one I just wanted to share the flip side of the "koolaid" equation...Funny how certain cobra owners are blinded by their own brand, and so jaded towards other brands that they cannot appreciate the other automobile(s) for what they are.......

Bill S.
CSX3352 by any chance?

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 07-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTDOC
and the other guys didn't even wave, that is disgusting. I bet they were guys that wrote a check for their cars,probably cannot even change a tire much less build a car.

Ok, I admit to already having a couple of glasses of Pinot, but does a "check writer" enjoy their Cobra experience less than a "builder"? And what does "builder" mean? Is that the original designer, the casting foundry, the component suppliers, the roller manufacturer, or the assembler that drops in the drive train .

Oops, I'm guilty.

Last edited by 4pipes; 07-08-2007 at 02:35 PM..
Old 07-08-2007, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

I have been on this forum for quite awhile now, other forums too. I have found that the check writers, for the most part, usually do not hold onto their cars as long as builders. Many of the check writers take their cars to neighborhood mechanics. They don't even change the oil! You'd think they would take the time to maybe learn something new. Buy some tools!

A builder is someone who has taken the time, patience, money and love and put together their 'unique' car.

Roscoe (Builder of car)
Old 07-08-2007, 02:43 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Sal,

I will neither confirm nor deny any CSX number as the owner prefers to remain blissfully anon in his retirement.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-08-2007, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

pay attention to the little smiley faces in the post. Sarcasm my friend, it does not matter if it is built or bought.