LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill D
The driver's neck was broken and he died at the scene.
That there is what they call Karma. Glad that POS didn't hurt/kill any innocent people.Too bad about the car though.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast
Not Ranked     

I had an alarm installed with a remote pager. It will let me know up to a mile away if either the vacinity alarm or shock alarm go off. I will never be out of foot chase range so a mile is more than enough. I also have removeable batery shut off and fuel shut off. Maybe I am a little paranoid but better paranoid than cobraless.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     

I almost stole an original Daytona Coupe from Shelby. It had just come back to the shop from Bonneville, where it set 23 Internatinal FIA speed records, but the task had been so tough that the chassis and body were practically destroyed! It was still covered with salt and looked a complete mess. when Shelby saw it he realized it was junk and offered it to anyone in the shop for $800 bucks! We all turned it down. :0) Badger
Old 07-13-2007, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill D
There was an incident several years ago where an SPF (I believe) was stolen by some kid. He was joy riding, lost control, spun, and crashed into a tree backwards. The driver's neck was broken and he died at the scene.
His family probably sued the cobra owner for "attractive nuisance!"
Old 07-13-2007, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Last edited by rob frink; 12-29-2010 at 06:59 AM..
Old 07-13-2007, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

That's the picture. And yup, there's a body under that yellow tarp.

The owner was Randy Klein. He's a member here on CC.

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 07-13-2007, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

I have a quick release removable steering wheel, which is a decent deterrant. However, nothing will stop a flat-bed.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes they do get stolen.

A friend of mine had a bar on the steering wheel (of a Jeep). I can't remember what kind, but you use to see them advertised on TV a lot. The one that prevented the wheel from being turned around.

One morning he went out to find the steering wheel on the ground where his Jeep used to be.

About 45 days later he got a new Jeep and put the same bar on the wheel only this one also locked the brake pedal so it could not be pushed down. Same thing one morning about two weeks after he got the Jeep the steering wheel was in the driveway with the brake pedal lock attached still to it.

The third vehicle was an F250.

Hey if they want your car you are not going to stop them. We can only do our best to avoid putting ourselves in a position where it becomes more desirable to the crooks than it is to us.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

jdog

Steal you Cobra - no way... Wonder how he would get treated when he arrived at your resort for his sleep over..
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 07-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

jdog, you forgot to tell everyone you work in that tower.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

Back in the early 70s (yeah, my stories always start like that) there was a dirtball around the NY Metro Cobra scene named Tyler Somas. Tyler always had a bunch of Cobra parts in his shop, but nobody could recall him ever actually buying a Cobra. He was reputed to have once stolen a 427 roadster at gunpoint after he convinced the owner to allow a friend to follow the car as he drove it to see "if it was tracking straight".

Urban legend perhaps, but this guy was truly sleazy.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

a few years ago, track modified SPF was in a trailer, owner came out, found trailer gone, never a trace of it. I think this was way out west, in CA?

I have a trunk battery cutoff, another one on the rear cowl, a hidden switch under the dash that cuts out the starter, plus the key only turns on the ignition, there is another switch to actually crank the motor. Plus, my car with a race Holley is a trick to start, cold, it takes patience and experience, int the winter, with "winter gas" and a hot motor, you have to watch the fuel pressure gage and know what to do with dropping fuel pressure, and then having a flooded re-start.

In other words, you have to know what you are doing to actually get my car to run.

But on a flat bed, you could haul it away in a few minutes.

So my car is pretty safe from the casual thief. I just don't worry about it. I have often forgot my cell phone, sun glasses and such on the tunnel, come back later, and found nothing taken.

I think to the casual passerby, the cars are very intimidating, as if they sit there, whispering to anyone who would reach into the car "touch me and I will rise up here and kill you."

I park wherever i want, leave my car be, the only thing i actually worry about is some inquisitive child touching the hot sidepipes.

I have had parking valet's move a turbo porsche for me, last week, it was a Nismo Z car he put in the lot, to put mine in front of the restaurant. I always chat for awhile with the valet guys, they invariably are top college students well on their way to a great career. Some know my car well. I tip them well. On prom nite at high end restaurants, i encourage them to allow the young ladies and their dates to lean on my car for their pictures, my car must be in a lot of prom photo's.

I don't worry about vandalism or theft, i doubt anyone could start my car other than me. It it disappears on a rollback, i'll get anther SPF.

In a few minutes, i am going to run up and back to Charlotte in it. I am prepping it for the Grassroots Magazine Challenge in two weeks at VIR, although i have asked Dennis Olthoff to drive it for me. Gonna put the numbers and Grassroots magazine stickers on today, finish the wax, that sort of thing. Taking it up to Dennis' Superformance shop soon for him to give it a good track exam.

Some potent track cars, but i would suspect that very few of them will drive their cars to VIR.

Wish me well,
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 07-16-2007, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Years ago I equipped one of my carbed toys with a hidden switch in the line that powered the electric fuel pump, which was very simple. A little more complicated is a hidden shutoff valve to the gas line. The theory here is the thief that bypasses the ignition switch will start the car and quickly pull onto the road, where the engine will die in a couple hundred yards. Now, he's more visible and is likely to abandon the car rather than figure out what went wong. Still, it's pretty hard to stop a flatbed.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

A few years ago a friend was visiting Dallas,Tx. Had his cobra in a trailer hitched to a new ford pickup.He came out of his motel to find his pickup gone and his enclosed trailer with cobra inside still sitting there. Go figure??????
Old 07-17-2007, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, V8, Manual Trans, Htr, Wipers, Radio Delete
Not Ranked     

496FE had his first one swiped from Veterans Stadium in Long Beach one Sunday morning while he was looking for parts. Thieves loaded it onto a flatbed and drove off. My wife thinks I'm obsessed for not letting out of my line of sight but I know better.
Frank
Old 07-17-2007, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #821,Southern Automotive 427 Side Oiler w/2x4
Not Ranked     

Rob
Is that one of those mats that soak up liquid?
Old 07-17-2007, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

"Third, valet park (insist on being parked front and center), slip the valet a twenty and ask him to keep an eye on your car."

One thought.....Ferris Beuler!!
Old 07-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Lo Jack

Does anyone have any experience with the Lo Jack unit? I am interested in hearing the feedback as far as cost, subscription if needed, and how well it works!

Last edited by Sal Gerace; 07-17-2007 at 06:31 PM..
Old 07-17-2007, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

How about insurance? I half heartedly feel if my car were stolen then I can start from scratch and get a better one. But I am happy with the one I have. It's just a toy...I mean car. No worries here.
John
Old 07-17-2007, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Cobra re-creation based on Kirkham aluminum body and chassis, Original 1965 Ford 427 Side Oiler and Ford Toploader transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSnaka
How about insurance? I half heartedly feel if my car were stolen then I can start from scratch and get a better one.
Really no such thing as starting from scratch for me as my car is constructed using original parts that I have aquired over the last 18 years. I would be interested to hear answers to Sal's Lojack question.