LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BACKDRAFT
Send a message via AIM to SKINNEDR Send a message via Skype™ to SKINNEDR
Not Ranked     
Angry Ever had your cobra stolen?

Guys, it's been over three months since I have had my Backdraft Cobra. My insurance company suggest that I should never have my COBRA OUT of my eye site. I was reading one of the threads and a gentlemen said that he had his cobra stolen. Is this possible? I would imagine that these cars are not seen very often and should someone had their car stolen it would be difficult for it to be hidden. Cobras are not a common thing around any town.
Can anyone share their experinece with me?

Regards,
Dexter Skinner
BDR #471:

Last edited by SKINNEDR; 07-13-2007 at 02:52 PM..
Old 07-13-2007, 06:11 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

You scared me.. I thought you were going to post that your Cobra was stolen!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC/331/5 forward
Not Ranked     
Angry

I took my wife to a very well known restaurant down at the shore one time, a place where there's lots of activity since there are many, many fishing boats around and a few other restaurants as well. All meaning there's lots of people around too. Since the table was out of sightline of the car, which was parked front and center at the door (got lucky), I kept getting up to check on it. On about the third trip, and feeling better because nothing had been happening, I come out to find some a$$hole with the hood open, and another with his hands down by the engine. Both were fully lubricated (drunk) from a hard day's fishing; both came within a half-millisecond of getting their teeth knocked out, but were cognizant enought to understand that I was clearly not happy with their behavior and about to do something about it. Consequently, they were instantly and profoundly apologetic. Hood was closed after checking on all, and locked. Battery shutoff was set and trunk locked. Lots of trip out after that, and this kinda took the fun out of the event.

It might be difficult to re-register your stolen Cobra, but selling all those nice parts isn't difficult at all. The car would cost the thief nothing; and if he gets $10K for the parts, he's way ahead.

Be careful....you truly never can tell when or where there might be somebody with an unholy interest in your ride.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     
Smile

Battery dis-connect switch.The re-moveable key type.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Dexter,

Three years ago we had a guy in Chico that had just finished his Cobra except for paint and some other trim items. He decided to drive it to the mall for 5 minutes to get some screws. When he came back out it was gone and he has never seen it since. He the battery shut off and everything but a GPS system. Several people saw some guys pulling it up onto a roll back but thought that it was theirs since it was right out in plain sight in the parking lot, so the police never even got a description of the truck or any of the guys. Even though I have alarms, and battery shut off, I never park mine out of sight.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 07-13-2007, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

There was an incident several years ago where an SPF (I believe) was stolen by some kid. He was joy riding, lost control, spun, and crashed into a tree backwards. The driver's neck was broken and he died at the scene.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

I met that SPF guy. Randy was his name and that happened up here in Silicon Valley. The car was a silver SPF. The thief followed him home from a coffee shop and stole the Cobra right out of his garage when he had left the house. The thief was racing through a school zone, lost control and spun around backwards and flew off the road, and hit a tree. The impact bent the car essentially in half (I thought I had a photo, but it must be on my other computer) crushing the thief.

Last I talke to Randy, he was wanting to get an SPF coupe'. I haven't heard from him in a while.

A couple of things to think about: First, whenever you are out in your Cobra, don't take a direct route home. Putz around the neighborhoods until you're confident no one is following you. I know. I sound paranoid. Second, get a GPS tracking system and an alarm. Third, valet park (insist on being parked front and center), slip the valet a twenty and ask him to keep an eye on your car.

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 07-13-2007, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC/331/5 forward
Not Ranked     

DoubleD, would your really let a valet behind the wheel of your Cobra? Even if you stood there and watched him?

You are a brave, brave man, my friend.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Turnpike: Nice catch. Didn't mean it that way. I wouldn't even let my wife drive my Cobra.

Clarification: Park in the valet section, not in the general parking lot. Park with the Lamborghini, Aston Martin, and the Ferrari at the front of the restaurant. (For more fun, ask the valet to move the Ferrari so you can park...)

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 07-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Arrow Gun coverage 24/7

My Cobra insurance Co said no driving it to work because it wouldn't be safe, until I showed them this picture:

I assured them my car was much safer at work with me, than left alone in the garage. I'm positive no one has ever had their car stolen from where I work!

jdog
Old 07-13-2007, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And what caliber rifle does the guy in the tower have?

jdog: Your car looks great. Who did the paint? I'm planning on black for my ERA 289 FIA.

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 07-13-2007, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Daytona Coupe SPC0057 Ford 392
Not Ranked     
Default Keepng track of the Cobra

Ron,
We are in the process of planning all the items for our new Daytona Coupe and after the latest Reno and London shows, the missus says " so now we have to plan the price of a trailer (enclosed) and something to pull it? After reading this thread it sure makes me think that I would not want to stay overnight at a motel on the way to a show with out a trailer? Jeez, kinda take the fun out of the trip.
Larry (Hoping for clear skies)
Old 07-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Larry,

There are some motels that will provide security, but I live close enough to Reno that I can drive over there in a few hours unless I get caught in traffic going over the mountains near Lassen Park, as they have no passing lanes in some long stretches. But if I was traveling a long way, I would have to try to find an enclosed trailer and something to pull it also.
How long until you have your Coupe and will have it ready to drive? Be sure to post some pictures.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 07-13-2007, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

[quote=Bill D]There was an incident several years ago where an SPF (I believe) was stolen by some kid. He was joy riding, lost control, spun, and crashed into a tree backwards. The driver's neck was broken and he died at the scene.[/QUOTE

Neck broken? Oh well, lifes a *****.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Mod Note...tweaked the thread title a little so as not to scare Cashburn... :-)
Old 07-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks

Thanks! I was like holy sh!t one of ours got taken. We have experts in recovery now so I was ready to rally the troops.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Arrow .223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug
And what caliber rifle does the guy in the tower have?

jdog: Your car looks great. Who did the paint? I'm planning on black for my ERA 289 FIA.
They have Mini-14's .223 cal. Some are pretty good shots to! The Gun-towers are quite a deterrent to crime around the prison. The local citizen's don't care for them much, because we leave the brite lights on all night. You can see the place for miles, it glows like a football stadium at night!

There is one tower guard that was so deadly with his weapon, that the inmates would locate which tower he was in, and move to the other side of the yard! He never missed a thing, figuratively & literally!
But, I believe he retired last year, So the games go on!

Shelby painted my car, and did a great job.

Good luck with your FIA, is should be beautiful in black!

jdog
P.S. The staff assault rate at Folsom Prison is 33%. That means you have a 1in3 chance of being assaulted by an inmate every year.
I've been there 22 years, you learn to like the Gun towers!

Last edited by jdog; 07-13-2007 at 10:42 AM..
Old 07-13-2007, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks
Maybe you should change it to "Ever had a Cobra stolen", becuase right now it looks like he's asking if we all ever stole a Cobra .

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 07-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

This is a scary subject......(as stated by computerworks and cashburn).............it only takes a few minutes for your treasure to be goneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee .

Mine, when finished, will have a battery cut off, LOJAK, maybe a fuel cut off, and me with a GLOCK protecting it, yet, in my mind, having 30 years in the law enforcement business, I know this will only discourage/stop the casual thief but will do nothing for the career thief that really wants it.

Yes, it is a shame that we have to worry so much about this kind of thing, unfortunately it is a fact of life.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got the locking hood latch option. After reading the posts above, I'm glad I did. Couldn't imagine someone having the nerve to pop my hood and poke around. What's wrong with these people?

DD

"You're kidding, right?"