Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Are the csx 7000 aluminum cars the ones with the front fenders that were not done to original spec.?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2008 Shelby GT500
Not Ranked     

Having owned an ERA 289 FIA car (ERA 2047) I prefer the FIA car over the 427. One reason I bought the FIA was that unlike the 427 the FIA sidepipes are tucked under the rocker panels. It is nearly impossible to burn your calf on a FIA sidepipe when you get out of the car. When I bought my FIA I had small children and did not want them to get a sidepipe "snake bite". Additonally, I like high reving motors (to me 7000 rpms through FIA sidepipes is a GREAT sound). But you miss out on the low end torque that the 427 has. So like others have said it is all a matter of personal taste. Either way choose one a enjoy it.

FIA Mike
Old 10-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

This looks like an arroomimum 289 car...

Old 10-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's good looking. Maybe the cars I'm thinking about with the funny front fenders were the street 289's. Seems like everytime I see one they have wire wheels. What would they have been called? csx8000?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

Personally,

I love the FIA. And obviously have no problems with the quality of product coming out of Poland. I will seriously consider a trade with anyone who has an aluminum FIA (prefer leaf spring suspension).

As for Allan's comment about the fenders...Just ask Kirkham, I'm sure they can have the fenders shaped any way you'd like.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 10-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jay, yes the 8000 series is the 'street' car. My buddy has a glass Shelby 8000, not my cup of tea, but it sure is a beauty! Wire wheels and skinny tires assure that he can't 'take me' in the 1/4. Otherwise, I might be concerned, he has a Roush 400 something and it DOES go like stink! I gave him a head start once (ONCE) at the 1/8 mile, won't make that mistake again! I missed a shift (yeah, thats the ticket, I missed a shift) and he was GONE!

Last edited by Excaliber; 10-26-2007 at 09:17 AM..
Old 10-26-2007, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

I've always loved the 289 and the variety of the cars produced.

This is a beautiful CSX7000 glass car that was extensively modified by Billy Andrews to be a 'modern day' version of the Dragon Snake.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay bentley
Are the csx 7000 aluminum cars the ones with the front fenders that were not done to original spec.?
Jay, the 8000 series front flares are slightly rounded without the crisp edge of an original.

Compare to this:
Old 10-26-2007, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

Randy,

You can see the front fender in this photo, the aluminum cars are much less curved. Also the back end on a aluminum car just does not grap me for some reason.

Last edited by Allan A; 10-28-2007 at 09:31 PM..
Old 10-26-2007, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 351 W
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan A
Sal,

A 7000 has more room than a 4000, no carpet to eat up space.
As far as looks, I think it is the best looking cobra. As far as quality, the fiberglass cars are made at Shelby and that is much better than anything produced in poland.

Allan
I don't thik I have ever insulted anyone on a forum before but I found your statement ludicrous. I own neither of the cars mentioned but the consensus is that Kirkham is the best quality for alum and ERA for glass over anything that Shelby has built with the continuation cars. Period. The only advantage I see is that there are people always willing to pay for the Shelby name whether buying new or used. Plus you can have your name in the SAAC regristry with the Polish bros but not with ERA.

BDR#334
Old 10-26-2007, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Working on This
Not Ranked     
Default Some Additional Thoughts...

Have done pretty exhaustive research on both the CSX 4000 and CSX 7000 series models and when I am ready to pull the pin, will likely opt for the CSX 7000 series.

Some quick notes:

1. Base price for the CSX 7000 series is about $20k more than the current price of a CSX 4000. To my understanding, only HST is producing the CSX 7000 series in Fiberglass. Believe that a total of less than 60 CSX 7000's have been produced by Shelby (please do not hold me to this number, just something I remember being told by the dealer I am working with). Of note, I checked with Kirkham on their version of the 289FIA (which is a very nice car); at the time it would have to be ordered from their supplier. Not sure if this is still the case.

2. As pointed out in one of the earlier posts, rear suspension is different in the two models, as is of course the general configuration of the body itself and the appropriate engine. Also am partial to a small block fitted with Webbers (or appropriate facsimile).

3. While I believe that any Cobra is beautiful, personally like the lines of the 289FIA with exhausts exiting immediately in front of the rear wheels. There was a beautiful example for sale on this forum some time ago. Car was located in Colorado and just about the perfect car...just too far away from me to do anything about.

Of note, it is also possible to purchase a CSX 4000 without the side exhaust cutouts; at least via the HST route. In theory, this would give you a 427 Street (which were real cars in the day).

Bob
Old 10-26-2007, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I own neither of the cars mentioned.

BDR#334
BDR, you don't need to say anymore.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeutsch
2. As pointed out in one of the earlier posts, rear suspension is different in the two models,
Front and rear
Old 10-26-2007, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

As for the forward facing roll bar, some of us older drivers find it a handy aid to getting in and out of the car.

As to the quality of a Polish built car, those guys built some of the best fighter and fighter-bomber aircraft in history. Anybody who can make an aircraft that can get up to and hold up under speeds greater than Mach 2, shouldn't have any problem building a car that goes less than 200mph!
Old 10-26-2007, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 7000vs4000vsShelbyvsKirkhamandtherest

What this debate needs is a REAL expert to jump in here.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG
As for the forward facing roll bar, some of us older drivers find it a handy aid to getting in and out of the car.

As to the quality of a Polish built car, those guys built some of the best fighter and fighter-bomber aircraft in history. Anybody who can make an aircraft that can get up to and hold up under speeds greater than Mach 2, shouldn't have any problem building a car that goes less than 200mph!
Have you ever seen a Mig (or any Soviet built aircraft) in person? I flew helicopters in the military and had a chance to get up close to some stuff captured in the Soviet / Afghan war, and the stuff is crap. It looks like they do a good job building cars but the Migs I have seen were very crude compared to western technology.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenbubba
I don't thik I have ever insulted anyone on a forum before but I found your statement ludicrous. I own neither of the cars mentioned but the consensus is that Kirkham is the best quality for alum and ERA for glass over anything that Shelby has built with the continuation cars. Period. The only advantage I see is that there are people always willing to pay for the Shelby name whether buying new or used. Plus you can have your name in the SAAC regristry with the Polish bros but not with ERA.

BDR#334
There is a consenus on this forum?!?! I think must have missed that.

When comparing the fiberglass cars, the Shelby is a lot more like an original in terms of the frame and other bits. While the ERA is mostly concerned with the exterior of the car looking correct. Although you really need to go to an aluminum body Kirkham or Shelby to really approach originally, there is definitely something to be said for the fiberglass Shelby being more like an original than an ERA. So I don't consider the Shelby name and SAAC registry to be the only reason to buy a glass Shelby over an ERA.

Last edited by 1ntCobra; 10-26-2007 at 02:32 PM..
Old 10-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

RACER X,

You sure are stirring the pot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Joey Manufacturing Inc.
Send a message via Yahoo to joey_hv
Not Ranked     
Default both of both worlds!

or you could just get the CSX3002 clone and get the best of both worlds. it has the nose of the 289 and the body of a 427...kinda like having jeniffer annistons face on carmen electra's body!

"Me fodder was King Neptune, me mudder was a mermaid. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Me hair is like hemp, me arms are like spars. When I spits, I spits tar. I'm hard, I am, I is, I are. "
Old 10-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic
RACER X,

You sure are stirring the pot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well isn't the thread title stirring the pot too?

I don't know about you, but the 7000 cars seem pretty darn nice to me.

The one thing that seems wrong on the 7000s is the oil cooler scoop. I asked David K about the oil cooler scoop on the aluminum cars and he said Shelby prefers ordering the non-original style scoop that Brian Angliss did on all of his FIA rebodies. And apparently the first Kirkham FIAs looked the same because they modeled their car from a rebodied FIA.
peterpjb likes this.