28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2007, 07:34 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have built a Dynacorn body camaro and I think the ZL-1 motor would be a nice piece to tie together the new with the old, what do you guys think?

www.gcperf.com
Old 11-11-2007, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Great looking car. -Looks nicer than the one the guys at Hot Rod built! When did they come out with the hardtop? I know when they first came out you could only get them in convertable form, but they spoke about doing a hardtop at a later date. Looks great! An alum ZL-1 would fit nicely in there, Bittleton.
I've always felt the 69 Camaro was one of the best looking cars ever made. It was the first car I ever owned, and I sold it to buy the L-89 Vette. Mine was a Z-28 and I'll tell you what, that little Chevy DZ302 engine was a screamer. I never had a problem dusting the Boss 302 stangs on the street.

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 11-11-2007 at 08:09 PM..
Old 11-12-2007, 05:20 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Terry,

We built this one last year for the Cavalcade of Customs in Cincinnati. It was a big hit. First class all the way. Detroit Speed quad link rear with a ford 9inch. TCI front end show package. It is very hard to find customers for these Camaro's because they are very high end. We are now putting an interior in the car and I'm saving as much as I can for the ZL-1 engine. I would like to make it a little more modern though, with a stacked fuel injection would top it off real nice.

You are right about the chevy 302, it was a screamer. My first car I ever restored for myself was a 68 Z-28 RS. I still wish I had that car back. Oh well, I should not have sold it!!

Bill

www.gcperf.com
Old 11-12-2007, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Have you checked with GM about the fuel injection? The Camaro that was featured in Hot Rod (December 2005) came with fuel injection on their ZL-1. It was GMPP's Ram Jet electronic fuel injection system. They even polished the runners and it looked pretty good when they were finished.
What dash layout did you use? I noticed you used the Detroit Speed quad link rear. Did you see the dash layout they offer for Camaro's? The Hot Rod car used a Detroit Speed metal dash with Auto Meter's Phantom-series guages. They said it 's a direct replacement for a 69 Camaro's dash. -It looks pretty sweet too.
I keep thinking about getting back into a 69 Camaro but the prices have skyrocketed the past few years. I thought this steel body crate package might be the way to go but they aren't cheap either. Plus, you can spend a TON during the build. The Hot Rod guys had 3 pages of parts (what they called "little-bitty details") they said is needed to put this thing together. -Over 300 different part numbers, and none of them had anything to do with the engine, transmission, rearend, and suspension. -Just "parts".

-I think I'll stick with the SPF rollers!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:24 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Terry,

Yes, there were a lot of little items that no one knows that they will need. Door window parts that are not replicated yet. Some brackets. But all in all is went together pretty nice. Left front fender needed a lot of work, some cutting and rewelding. Doors and deck lid fit very nice on this car.

We are using a after market dash with autolite gauges from Classic Industries. Very nice looking dash.

The engine that you are mentioning would be nice, but I may stick with carb or the stacked fuel injection idea. We are looking for the right customer to do this car justice. I wish I could finish it the was I want.

Bill

www.gcperf.com