Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Guyon, big block Chevrolet
Not Ranked     
Default Would like to switch to FORD power

Hi everyone, as the title says I would like to switch to Ford power in my Cobra. It currently has a BB Chev, but isn't as fast as I would like. I just hurt the rings and pistons on the dyno with too much nitrous all at once so now would be a good time to change. Fixing it properly and selling it will be easy but I think finding a good enough Ford will be harder.

The current 598 with two stages of nitrous gets my car to the 7.90's at 170 in the quarter mile (at 2650 lbs). I want to get just under the 7.50 my car is certified for. I don't care if it's BBF or SBF, naturally aspirated, turbo, or supercharged. As long as I can do a 7.49 or better without pushing it to it's limit. The only other requirement is I need to be able to still street drive it a little, fuel type not important.

I know I'm probably dreaming but I want to try. I am willing to spend as much as $20,000. Does anyone have any leads? I see about 30 BBC's on racingjunk.com that would do the trick but no Fords.

Thanks,
Colin
Old 11-28-2007, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Fix the chevy--you already have a engine bigger that most of the ford combos, the BBC head tech is far ahead of the ford stuff---

Your body type is what needs some work to go quicker/faster--there seems to be a big wall at the 7.90/170 mark---I ran a Chev Monza and we were stuck there, needed to go to Firebird for better aero package to go quicker

Jerry
Old 11-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 427 S/C, 351W, 472 HP, 444 lbs. torque
Not Ranked     

Colin

I will talk to a friend that builds lots of engines for the drags. His specialty is SBF but he builds big and small block Fords, Chevy, Mopar and of course due to demand he is also now doing Hondas, etc. I will ask his opinion.

There are a couple of superb Ford engine builders that frequent this site so I am sure that you are going to get some solid advice. The very strong Canadian dollar is also going to help with your project no matter what type of engine you decide to run.

Wayne
Old 11-28-2007, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's the best I've seen. I can't comment on the "under $20k" though. You'll have to check that out for yourself.

http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/engines.php
Old 11-28-2007, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I'd go with a large 385 series BBF. It's very easy to get 700-800 N/A horsepower from them.

Check out this one on Keith Craft's site:

http://www.keithcraft.com/crate_engi...00_competition

The last time he had dyno numbers, it was north of 800hp naturally aspirated.

Jon Kaase makes big power with his heads and 385 series engines. There's lots of potential there...
Old 11-28-2007, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Collin,

You might want to talk to Rockey Keyes old engine builder Marvin Shaw (He would be in the Houston area). I Know he builds some pretty stout Fords though. I think that the guys in Texas have gotten rid of all of Rockey's old pieces, his latest motor would have been a good one.

I know a guy who has a BBF (Shaw Built) in a dragster that runs low 6's.

I don't know about under 20K.

If interested, let me know and I can make a couple phone calls and get you some contact info.

Later,
Tony Malloy
Old 11-28-2007, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks guys

I know I'm asking a lot. I can't afford anything new from anyone great like Kaase. I bet I'll have to buy used and hope to find someone honest. I know it would be easier if I'd switch to a newer, slippery, lighter car but I love Cobras and being street legal.

I bet I'll have to stay with nitrous. I think I need about 1,000 hp on motor with a nitrous cam and my two stages adding another 400-600 hp. I have left a message with someone selling a turbocharged SBF though, there seem to some of them around.

Tony, any contact info would be appreciated. I've followed and admired Rocky's car for years.

Colin
Old 11-28-2007, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Spend 5k on your chev, 5k on your body,send me 5k and keep 5k for yourself

Jerry
Old 11-28-2007, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

, I know, I should just hone the block, buy new pistons and rings and keep going but I would like to change to Ford for this car.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just be prepared to spent alot more money to make the same horsepower with a Ford motor. Dollar for dollar, BBC is the way to go.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You need to close down the nose of your car and make the air go around it--I looked at your gallery and if you could lower your cage some, take off the windshield, cover the open right side, you could run many mph faster--fix your chevy, make the car faster and then put a ford in it at a later date, your probably making the power you need now---you aren't going to get the job done with a 800 hp wether its a ford or anything else---don't throw out the gains you have made as the other engine will be a whole new path--there are two reasons you don't see any fords in prostock and they are Mopar and GM

Jerry
Old 11-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Colin,

The guys who can answer that question for you in an honest and truthful way are here: http://www.460ford.com/index.php

They can suggest parts, builders, horsepower and budget fairly accurately. Several of the builders (including Kaase) frequent the site.

I kinda like the idea of your using a Ford

Tom
Old 11-28-2007, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton
You need to close down the nose of your car and make the air go around it--I looked at your gallery and if you could lower your cage some, take off the windshield, cover the open right side, you could run many mph faster--fix your chevy, make the car faster and then put a ford in it at a later date, your probably making the power you need now---you aren't going to get the job done with a 800 hp wether its a ford or anything else---don't throw out the gains you have made as the other engine will be a whole new path--there are two reasons you don't see any fords in prostock and they are Mopar and GM

Jerry
I agree withthis analogy. That windshield is like a massive airbrake.:
Old 11-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Smile SBF on alcohol

Hi Colin,
Dal's mustang goes 6.80's @215 mph and is street legal.
He runs about 400 cu inch 351 block with clevland style aluminum heads. It's boosted by LARGE twin turbo's and 28 lbs boost on alky. It's EFI. He says he can go 3 seasons without freshening up the motor. Runs a 2 speed glide, and a spare,haha.Runs cool on alky too.
I think something like his setup is the only practical way to do it.about 1500 hp.
Perry.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do have a short lexan windshield for it that is about 5 1/2" high but would prefer not to use it. I like to do all my racing with the car completely street legal right down to signals, lights, E brake, DOT tires, mufflers, and everything else. I do race with a formed fibreglass cover over the passenger area. I've thought about building a cone shaped cover for the front oval but can't imagine it being anything but ugly and overheating.

I have hopefully found some improvement in the transmission though. I discovered I had over 10% slippage in my crappy converter and have bought a good Coan that promises to get rid of most of it. In anticipation of that I have changed the rear gears from 3.73:1 to 4.10:1. I can't wait to feel it launch now.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Perry, Dal's car is amazing, as is Rash's and many other turbocharged SBF's. I don't know much about them but I've thought they were very expensive and probably not very streetable. I am looking into that though.

I like my big, dumb BBC with part time nitrous power. 11:1 compression, big Howe radiator, big Meziere water pump, and two very large electric fans. When on the highway I leave the fans off and occasionally turn off the water pump to get the temperature up a bit. Around town I use the pump at all times and turn the fans on as needed, never been over 180* yet.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to Coupe Devil Send a message via MSN to Coupe Devil
Not Ranked     

Look on 460ford.com. LOTS of great BBF tech there. Lots of nice motors for sale there as well.
90 Gt, Twisted Wedge Heads, Track Heat intake T.F.S. Stage 1 cam, 306, C&L76mm, 65MM TB, MSD wires, Z-Spec T5 , Cobra brakes, 99 GT wheels, 3.73's. Currently getting interior revamp. FUTURE DONOR CAR FOR COBRA KIT BUILD
Old 11-28-2007, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, I just registered there. Waiting for confirmation so I can post.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Colin,
Sounds like you are up against a brick wall so to speak. I don't think you are going to find a solution to your problem by going to Ford.
I am in a similar situation in that I can't seem to go much faster road racing(certainly could be lack of driver talent) but I see it as trying to run with the Cobras that run radial race rubber, front air dams, etc etc. while I am trying to run with a car that has 60's era race tires, no aero enhancemants. I want to experience my replica on the track just like the drivers did back in the day.
I am sure you could modify your Cobra to cut thru the air and stick to the pavement better, but would it look like a Cobra when it went thru the lights and more important would it still be streetable?

I admire your attemps to be the fastest Cobra that still looks like a Cobra. We have seen many Cobras on this site that are built for the fastest lap times but barely look like the Cobras from the sixties.

Just like Nascar teams sell off some of their older engines because they are down a few HP I am sure some of the big name Chevy drag teams also sell off some of last years technology.

You proably neeed more HP not a new name on the valve covers.

Good luck,
RD
Old 11-29-2007, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

Stick with the Chevy engine and buy some of those Ford valve covers that that say Cobra and will bolt to a Chevy BB engine and increase the horse power to 2,500.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.