Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

On the east coast, try Sasco Sports.

Overview :: Sasco Sports

Kevin
Old 02-04-2008, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     

I sold my set to someone who has already posted on this thread.

My experience...Pros: Great looks...no doubt, as everyone had already posted. They fill up the wheel wells nicely, look original...love the look from the rear of the car...really wide. Superb traction for essentially street tires, but don't forget that Krause Racing also offers the exact same tires WITHOUT the laser-cut grooves for track use. Very progressive loss of traction...nothing sharp, just a very gradual release of traction...you'll feel the car breaking loose before it looses all grip. You can control how far out the back end comes out very progressively with the throttle - nothing like Hoosiers, which will break loose all at once with little to no warning.

Cons: The hunting and darting around can be unnerving...if you're not on your game, the damned tires can jerk the steering wheel right outta your hands...be careful for the first 5-10 miles each day. Once they warm up, they're fine. They throw rocks like a school kid in a rock quarry...you'll peck up your fenders, your side pipes, the undersides of your car...and anything else you get near. The sides of my SPF are damned near trashed because of these tires...and I had virtually NO rock pecks on my car at all when I installed these tires...it'll never be the same now. The white lettering doesn't stay on for sh!t. I found myself constantly repainting the letters using spray plasticoat paint...the same stuff they dip tool handles in. That stayed on better than the paint from the factory, though. Maybe I'm too anal about stuff like this, but I sure didn't have time to keep repainting my tires eavery few weeks. I think they're a little pricey for street tires.

There's my two cents...it's worth what it's worth, right...?
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 02-04-2008 at 12:16 PM..
Old 02-04-2008, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I found they made my car turn in SOOOO much nicer.
I had to install the foam in the wheel wells cause they would pick up everything, even sand
I made my own stencils by doing the pencil rubbing and cutouts with an exacto knife. Now touch ups are quick but still requires cleaning off a little overspray if you want to stay in the lines. I bought some white enamal spray paint.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2731 (now sold)
Not Ranked     

For performance in 15" tires the choice seems to be between the Avon radials and the Goodyear billboard. The biggest negative being that they both throw stones. Has anyone run both? I would like to know if one is worse than the other for picking up rocks.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

I'm intrigued by the performance claims.
How do they compare to some of the high performance tires - Michelin Pilot Sports, etc. ?
I've got 17's with Pilot Sports. Could 15's with Billboard approach that grip and handling?
Old 02-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I put the Billboards on my car about 2,000 miles ago. By then I had decided I was no longer a trophy chaser or a "waxer". I wanted to do some real driving. These tires have blemished my paint, but also enhanced the patina. Subsequently it looks a bit more like a road racer, so I've decided to tone-down some of the original 'bling' by eliminating the Trigo dust caps, de-chroming the quick-jacks and powder-coating them flat-black, and a few more 'bling-reversing' efforts.

The tires are definitely a visual draw. They add some more 'raw' to a car that already displays a lot of 'rawness'. The Billboards will be the only tire on this Cobra.

As grandparents many times over now, when Peg and I want a smooth, quiet, blend-into-the-scenery and settled ride, we'll drive the Maxima.

David

Last edited by 601HP; 02-05-2008 at 08:25 AM..
Old 02-05-2008, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

Roger Kraus set me up with these. Mounted to Vintage Wheels' BRMs, I think they look and perform extremely well. The BRMs are a tad wider and the backspacing makes them sit out farther just 1/2"; which is perfect for my SPF.
As with other users, the first few miles are a handful.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 02-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I am with 601HP, less bling.
The longer I have my car the more I love Scotch Brite pads.......
Rock, who cares! Part of the deal......
Patina is the key, remember:
You can always restore them but you can't unrestore them.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     
Default track experience

I have about 130K or more on my car, have had the speedo disconnected for several years, reading 99,248 miles. Intend to pull it and keep it one of these days. About 3000 track miles. I have had on the street and on the track the GY GTII's, shaved and full tread Avids in several sizes, Hoosier slicks, 17 inch Michelin PS2's, and full treaded Goodyear "billboard" tires.

On the track, the bias Goodyears, are fun. They drift with lots of control and warning. I wore out the left rear quickly, replaced it. The both front and rear feather the tread quickly, which makes for interesting hard braking from 120+ mph. The car moves around a lot, disconcerting at first, untill you just hold on, don't make corrections, just let the car wander with the nose down hard. I think it is due to the feathering of the tread ridges. My car brakes hard straight as an arrow with absolute control with the Michelin's and the Hoosiers.

Being Bias ply, while they look very fat, they actually don't put down all that much rubber, if you do a tread contact patch test, only about half of the trad actually contacts the road. The Michelin's put down the whole thing.

The Avid's get hot and greasy, esp if you overdrive their slip angle, but then that is fun too, sliding all around corners. They are cheap and wear well.

The bias Goodyears are very sensitive to tire pressure, mine needed a bump from 26 to 28 rear psi to keep the sidewalls from folding over in a turn. The bias Goodyears don't have any anti aging material in the rubber, they are just rubber over canvas i guess, so are really only good for a season, as they aren't designed for the ozone and such. I think they would puncture or sustain street driving impact damage easily as they have a very thin carcass. I got a puncture on the track.

I got the bias Goodyears since i don't have a trailer and need to drive to the track, and often have rain here in SC. Needed a treaded tire for safe travel to the track. I think the Goodyears would be very expensive for a season of track driving. The PS2's wear much better, and while very very expensive, will last a lot longer on the track conditions.

i found they tendency for the fat Goodyears to "hunt" dangerously on the street. ONce, when i ran into some truck rutting on a rural asphalt road, they climbed so fast on the raised part of the pavement, i was almost flipped into the trees on the side of the road. I guess if you only drive on smooth concrete, and never run on rutted roads, it wouldn't be a problem, but if you were to hit such a road at night or when unprepared, it really could flip you instantly off the road. For this reason, i firmly believe them to be very dangerous except on the track.

The problem with driving on a track, of course, (and i run with the local Porsche club generally), is that irresistable need to go just a bit faster, to catch the M3 or 911 or Z06.

The best solution is to get spare rim sets, i have two in 15 and one in 17 inch. When my Avids wear out, have a spare set, i may get the Avon's, although, when i drive in the rain, i really like the fully treaded Avids over what looks like a pretty flat Avon tread. I am having a 3.08 installed, to bring down the rpm at cruise on the 17's.

Chris and I drove about 800 miles to and from the Rolex at Daytona two weeks ago, i chose to put the 15 inch Avids on, for less rpm and for the potential rain. Plus, the ride is nicer than on the 17's.

I know people talk all the time about a high performance 15 inch tire, which is now available with the expensive Avons, but then really, how fast are you really going to push it on the street anyway. I do that on the safety of the track. I am very conservative on the street, so the Avids are fine with me.

I one doesn't have to worry about rain, and wants the most cost effective street and track set up, get a nice 15 inch tire, there are several, and a set of Bias slicks on another set of 15 rims.

Or just learn to drive on what you have.

If you show, use the goodyears's, if you drive, get a 17 or an inexpensive 15 tire.

I don't think many of us, including me, are really capable of pulling all the performance out of our cars no matter what tires we run on.

all the best..
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 02-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

dang, Hal, could you be a little more direct in which tires to get for general street use and occasional track days??
I got lost somewhere!
I'm thinking you are recommending the Michelins??

thank you!

Kristen
Old 02-06-2008, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Right.

I have been using the Billboards since 98 -and I can't tell you how many times I have been flipped into the trees because of them

It makes the ride exciting though.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatBuckley View Post
Right.

I have been using the Billboards since 98 -and I can't tell you how many times I have been flipped into the trees because of them

It makes the ride exciting though.
I learned to carry a small battery-powered chain saw in the trunk. Makes dropping the car out of the branches a little easier. The silver maples aren't very strong and the car usually drops by itself. It's the oak trees that are hardest to cut out of. Peggy gets a bit irritated and has begun to backhand me when this happens. But the best thing is that it all adds to the 'patina' thing.

Seriously though, I do tend to grip the wheel firmly while driving. I have endured a few surprise jolts because of road irregularities. Bumping up the air pressure helps reduce the hunting while street driving.
David

Last edited by 601HP; 02-06-2008 at 06:37 AM..
Old 02-06-2008, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Glad to see a good sense of humor this early!!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

I'll spare the Quote from Hal's Reply, but here's the deal-
I have a set of 17's with Pilot Sports that are my everyday as well as track. I also have a set of 15's with BFG's gathering dust that I was going to sell.
The look of the billboards is awesome, and I was thinking maybe keep the 15's, put on the Goodyears for non-track daily driving. But with all the performance talk about the billboards, now I'm wondering if I keep the damn 15's, put on billboards and use them for street and track and sell the 17's.
I'm having a hard time believing the 15" Goodyears perform as well as 17" Pilot Sports.
Thoughts?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

I had 17" wheels with Nitto 555RII tires and swapped to 15" Vintage knock-offs with Billboards. Given some of the comments about darting I was hoping that wasn't as issue and for me it hasn't been at all. I had 275/40-17 on the front previously so maybe I had grown accustomed to the trammeling effect. My car doesn't dart. The tires are a little bumpy for the first mile or two but that's the only quirk. They're an improvement in ride over the 17s and I'm really glad I made the change. They are really grippy and the look speaks for itself. They are the only tires I will have on my car. For me, they're "it".

Last edited by jmimac351; 02-23-2008 at 07:53 PM..
Old 02-23-2008, 11:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sell the 17's, no question about it!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gulf GT40 CAV137, Cobra ERA286
Not Ranked     

Sell the Pilots! I had them on my M3 and couldn't stand them. They didn't handle near as well as the tires I have on it now for 1/3 the cost. And they were noisey and quite jumpy, even for the M3.

On the Cobra, I have Billboards.... Love them! Once warmed up and round they ride quite nicely. No track time on them, maybe someday. But you certainly can not beat the look with any other tire out there. I do not experience that jumpy feel a lot of guys talk about. Maybe it is in the alignment.... Super tire!
Old 07-13-2021, 03:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I’m looking for a set of four used Goodyear billboard tires for display purposes only on a continuation 427 CSX car. Do you by chance have four used ones that you would be willing to sell to me. They will not go on a car that will be driven so they can have cracks in the side walls etc. obviously these would be there current production goodyear billboards that can be bought over the counter. Thank you