23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2168, 418, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I believe the customer reviews for the Craftsman Floor Jack on the Sears webs site are all negative:

Sears also sells this floor jack for $196.99
Clarke 1-1/2 Ton Hydraulic Aluminum Racing Jack - Model GE 2154 at Sears.com

And looks just like the one Costco sells for $89.99
Costco - Torin Aluminum Racing Jack 1.5 Ton

I could be wrong.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

I have the Craftman aluminum jack which I bought a year ago. still working great.

Sears is not the same company it used to be.. Customer service sucks like it does with most other place we have to deal with.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou812545 View Post
I believe the customer reviews for the Craftsman Floor Jack on the Sears webs site are all negative:

Sears also sells this floor jack for $196.99

And looks just like the one Costco sells for $89.99
[I could be wrong.
These two look just like the POS i got at Harbor Freight.I was in COSTCO last week and they have a bigger beefier jack.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech 533
Not Ranked     

Cobrabill - I like your taglines
Old 02-06-2008, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red S/C View Post
Cobrabill - I like your taglines
Why,thank-you,sir.
I endeavor to amuse.....sometimes.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Guys .... several comments . Most every town/city has someone who can repair jacks ... look in the Yellow pages under Hydraulics , Jack repair . Also , someone mentioned that they used a heavier fluid and that solved the problem . I just retired after 30 years in the Hydraulics Industry .... be very careful on this as the heavier fluid just masks the original problem , which is probably bad/worn piston seals or a scored bore . The jack could come down when you least want it to . Getting seals and doing it yourself is indeed an option as I have done that myself . Just make sure to check the bore for scratches/scores and don`t damage the seals during installation .
Another potential problem is the holding valve may have some bypass through it .... either from dirt on the seat or just plane worn out . Either way , that can be repaired/replaced also .
However , one thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the newer jacks are made "offshore " and are nowhere near the quality of the older American made equipment .
Old 02-06-2008, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Thanks Bobcat, I think you gave good advice. I would add I always back up the jack with jack stands any time I reach under the car. The failure rate may be low but I sure don't want to be there when it goes. I will look into rebuilding my grandfather's jack. It would break my heart to throw it out. Sentimental I know but the Craftsman jack is much more dispensible.

John
Old 02-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

When shopping for an angle grinder recently, I learned that Sears' "return for any reason, anytime" guarantee (that I'm used to with hand tools) now only applies to Craftsman Professional Series, not Craftsman. "Plain" Craftsman has a limited warranty.
Depending on the tool and the use, could be worth the extra cost.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MaSnaka .... I guess I was not completely clear .... sorry . I also use jack stands , but what I should have said/mentioned , is that I have seen seals blow out as a cylinder ( jack ) is being raised ( pressurized ) and then it comes down !!! Agreed that the failure rate is very low , but I don`t want to be that individual .... and the "older" jacks are generally well worth rebuilding , so good luck .
As we are now finding out , welcome to the wonderful world of Sears Customer " no service "
Old 02-07-2008, 05:44 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Took the jack apart and found aluminum shavings and alot of what looks like aluminum powder. I don't think the valve unit was ever cleaned after machining. It looks like a small shaving was lodged between the seat and ball of the release valve causing the jack to bleed down. I cleaned up the seat with a drill bit and reamer and reseated the ball. I'm in the process of cleaning everything and checking the seals and O rings.

This is the 4000lb aluminum jack that lists for $199.00 that I purchased for $169 on sale.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Snakebit .... way to go ! Unfortunately , trash left over from machining operations doesn`t always show up on the test stand ... and sometimes the cleaning equipment doesn`t get everything . I had this problem on some cylinder lock valves from one of our plants . Makes a miner real unhappy when the roof shields that are supposed to protect him don`t stay up . In my case , the seats weren`t machined correctly and the wrong springs were used . luckily , no one was hurt ... but we did have to replace 200 valves in the field .... and all of these valves were 100% tested as I verified .
Old 02-07-2008, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmiles442 View Post
When shopping for an angle grinder recently, I learned that Sears' "return for any reason, anytime" guarantee (that I'm used to with hand tools) now only applies to Craftsman Professional Series, not Craftsman. "Plain" Craftsman has a limited warranty.
Depending on the tool and the use, could be worth the extra cost.
Do you know when this change was made? I am interested in knowing how they will handle a tool that was purchased before the the change was made.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1676
Not Ranked     

I've got the same issue with my 'Crapsman' Aluminum 'racing' jack. Sears has a 1 year warranty and I waited too long to go take mine back, I'm going to try the re-build route and would be interested in what fluid to use after... If not, Harbor Frt here i come...

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

My little red Craftsmen air compressor just siezed up yesterday at work. I liked it because it fit behind the front seat in my truck and I always had it when needed for work. 1 1/2 years old. It was also purchased at OSH $99.00

John
Old 02-07-2008, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Anybody used the ones sold by Griot's Garage, including the ones for individual wheel lifting?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Motor Car; 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Warren:
I bought a set from Tool Topia for $102.99 ea for two plus free shipping. They are the same you get from Eastwood, Groits etc., except $100.00 cheaper. They also have the slim line aluminum racing jacks. The wheel jacks I have are great for moving the car around in the garage.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

I just picked up a Torin low profile racing jack at Northern Tool, 26lbs. and minimum height of 3.4 inches. Works great on my FIA with the side pipes "tucked underneath" the car. I keep it in the trunk in a zip duffle bag with the lead hammer, safety wire, a 2 piece ajustable stand, and a tire repair kit + manual pump. With my battery tucked in the rear wheel well, it has already come in handy to diagnose a charging system malfunction (just 250 miles on my ERA). Blue and aluminum, it goes with my paint!! Rickd
Old 02-07-2008, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R U Car Crafters, OK. 450 hp 351Cleveland.
Not Ranked     

FYI....

Kmart owns OSH and Sears.

Bob
Old 02-07-2008, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wink

FYI....

Kmart owns OSH and Sears.

Bob
Old 02-07-2008, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FYI...

Kmart owns OSH and Sears