23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Factory Five Racing Thoughts Please !

Hi All,
I am considering a cobra build and I would love to hear members thoughts on the FFR replica.
Thanks for the feedback
Bob
Old 03-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Ask 100 people get 100 different answers. We have a search tool and this will give you more info than you could want on this subject. Check the drop down boxes along the top. Welcome aboard.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

Try ffcobra.com the Factory Five web site.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MIII, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

I spent two days driving an FFR club spec on a track, good car, loads of fun for the money and tons of potential. IMHO, the FFR is only as good as the builder...I've seen some which are a total slap together and generally not the best looking (fit/finish and paint quality). I've also seen a couple FFRs were the owner spent the time, money and assembled it correctly and it reflected.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: D&D Cobra,302 stock for now,IRS
Send a message via Yahoo to michel schryer
Not Ranked     

Now FFR have a nicer kit which you don't have to use donor parts anymore. They certainly have the name to back them up and the forum which I use a lot to build my Cobra which is not a FFR due to the DOT restrictions and customs headaches. Their are many good kits out there,you have to take the time to research it and ask questions. You are gonna spend a lot of money so go visit the manufacturer to see for yourself the product and establish a relationship with the manufacturer. In the states you have so many choices of manufacturers. It's hard to choose but if you're interested in FFR,i suggest you join the forum,you'll have all the tools necessary to build an awsome car.
Good luck with your selection!
Michel from Ontario,canada
Old 03-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

It seems the biggest complaint from some regarding FFR has been the somewhat less than accurate body shape, known as the FFR "perky butt." I've read somewhere that FFR will be using a far more accurate body somewhere in the future digitally scanned from an actual CSX car. I don't know too much about it but perhaps some FFR guys could chime in here and tell you when to expect to be able to buy a kit with the new body. Personally I would certainly wait. Obviously that's up to you. Almost all agree that the FFR chassis is rock solid. Have fun, some parts of the journey are as much fun as reaching the destination.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK the deal is that they scanned Dick Smiths 198 car. They are only going to make 198 of them as a limited production run. They are also coming out with a 289 version. So whether they will continue to use the Dick Smith design in the MK 3.1 or future Mk 4 will have to wait to be seen. However if you really want a nice replica, get one of the 198 limited production cars. Also many of the paint shops that are skilled in working on these cars can fix the "perky Butt" issue during the bodywork phase. Many choose to do this as it is a simple fix for a good shop. So if that is the only reason anyone hesitates to get an FFR Roadster, it is not really an issue. I love mine and 9 out of 10 people think it is a real one anyway. Only a real Shelby guru notices the differece. I usually sit a little away from my car at car shows an listen to the people talk. Most think mine is a real one and I just chuckle. Since the cost of mine is a fraction of the cost of a real one. And remeber, the real ones were all hand made. Any two will have some minor differences anyway. My car out performs my friends 66' real Cobra in every catagory. Plus with IRS rear end it is far more comfortable to drive. There is a reason that the FFR replica out sells all the others combined. They are GREAT cars. Just my humble opinion.

Mike

Last edited by FFRCobraMike; 03-21-2008 at 09:41 PM..
Old 03-21-2008, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

that combined with the fact they can be built for the least amount of money
Old 03-21-2008, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The reason for the "Perky Butt" was due to the settlement with Shelby America because they were sued for being too acurate.
Never heard that one. I thought the suit took place after production/sale of the MK1 had started.
Larry
Old 03-21-2008, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

you are correct, the perky butt had nothing to do with Shelby
Old 03-21-2008, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm with you Larry. That one gave me a chuckle.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

The Perky butt has to do with fittiment of the stock Mustang gas tank.
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 03-21-2008, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's what I thought.
I never thought of an FFR as a "replica" so much as the SC was the "inspiration" for the FFR roadster. To get back to the question, it's a good car (I've built one) but if you're looking at one already built, there is a world of difference in each car. So beware as each is only as good as it's builder. If you're after a car that replicates an original, there are other's closer.
Larry
Old 03-21-2008, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

FF makes a nice kit and its a good value. For any one interested there will be a new kit option in 8 weeks. I will debut my Cobra kit at Carlisle. My kit is different in that the chassis is all aluminum. It's a modern backbone design and is 100% tig welded. No riveting of panels is required. There is more cockpit and footbox room with this design. And it is incredibly strong in torsion. The body is hand laid fiberglass and is a mere shell. It slips on after the chassis is built. The suspension is independent front and rear and all aluminum. The Brakes are 13 inch front, 12 inch back with aluminum calipers. The shocks are QA1 aluminum adjustable with variable rate springs. The differential is aluminum, limited slip, 3:42 ratio. These parts (except shocks/springs) are NEW 2004 C5 Corvette parts. The chassis accepts virtually engine/trans combo. You can use up to 19 inch wheels. With standard body, the weight is under 2000lbs. It comes stock with sway bars. The complete kit cost is $27.900. You get everything to build the car except drivetrain, wheels/tire and paint. An optional carbonfiber/fiberglass hybrid body is a $2000 up grade.
There are alot of great kits out there. Have fun deciding which to build. Have fun building it. Have fun driving it. And have fun building relationships with Cobra and other kit car owners. Being car crazy is FUN!!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well I think the best testiment is a recent accident on the race track. One of the ladies that races an FFR hit a wall at 125 and walked away with only minor injuries. I think that says a lot about the design and the safety of the car. There are a lot of options out there for FFR cars from third party vendors. More so them most other cobra replica's. and also a lot of support through this forum and the FFR forum. I also have 13 inch front disc brakes and 12 inch rear discs, tubular A-arms and front and rear sway bars. It has an IRS rear end with 3.73 gears. Flaming river steering rack and 17" wheels. It is a very nice driver and rock solid. If you go with all new parts or their new complete kit it is pretty hard to beat. Of course you can get an assembled car minus the drive train that is factory built for you such as superformance, but they are considerably more expensive, Also when you build the car yourself, you can modify it to your own taste and have pride of doing it yourself. I mean lets face it, anyone with a deep pocket can get a nicer car, and better then an FFR, but will they ever have the pride and satisfaction of a car they built themselves.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike I think you are incorrect in your last statement. There are many "nicer" cars available to build if that's the way you want it. Superformance and others offer Turnkey minus setups that only require an engine/trans install but many will sell in kit form.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the great input in real time. I've read a number of opinions in the past and most are similar. I like the complete kit idea and the 198 design. Many thanks for the replys.
Bob
Old 03-23-2008, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

Bob, the FFR is a solid chassis and a real good option if you plan to track the car. It's very rigid. One thing I don't like is the method for adjustment of the IRS. It's a real pain in the azz. You must disassemble the arms to adjust them and it generally takes a bunch of adjustments to dial it in. The rear LCA's should come with adjustable sleeves but they don't and that makes it a real project. Otherwise I have been happy with mine. The fact that it uses a lot of mustang parts is a plus for me given my other car and how plentiful those parts are. If I were to build another car I would probably look around and then end up building another FFR - but with the authentic body option. But with all of that said, if I had the money I'd own a Kirkham.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

I agree with the last statement. I love my FFR but if i had the money, I would have a kirkham as well. But then that is an aluminum car VS a fiberglass car. They are much more authentic looking but considerably more expensive then an FFR. But I think most of would have an original if we could afford it. As for the Superformance, I did not realize that it could be gotten in kit form. If I was mistaken i apologize. I just never saw any advertizing on anything but the built car minus the drive train. It was my understanding they all even come painted. Sorry if I made a mistake on that. Superformance is a very good car as well, but again more expensive. There are cheaper kits out there, but I did a lot of homework on the available kits two years ago and settled on the FFR and not just because of price. The choice and availability of parts and the wide range of options available through FFR and third party vendors. And the way the chassis is built. It is built to take hard racing driving. I did not know this before i bought it, but I have noticed that the roll par on my FFR is a larger size tube then Superformance and it is boted directly to the chassis. I have never looked to see how Superformance attaches the roll bar but would hope it is done in a similar way. All in all I am happy with my choice, but if i had no budget limit, I would likely have gone with another car like Kirkham. One thing is for sure, there are a lot of choices out there and there will always be newcomers in the future. Also if any of you like Hot Rods, check out FFR's new edition of a 33' Ford coupe kit. It is a bit different then an original but looks pretty cool. They also have a GTM Super car kit that uses all Corvette running gear and drive train. Check out their web page as the have a lot of new stuff this year.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Undecided, 289
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351 View Post
One thing I don't like is the method for adjustment of the IRS. It's a real pain in the azz. You must disassemble the arms to adjust them and it generally takes a bunch of adjustments to dial it in. The rear LCA's should come with adjustable sleeves but they don't and that makes it a real project.
That's why my brother,and several other owners, have made their own adjustable sleeves. It makes adjustment so much nicer!