9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Not saying the car is not a good price, just stating what comes to mind when bolt on wheels are viewed on an ERA (sorry Ernie)........
OUCH!! That one hurt....
Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Does seem like a good deal, but maybe he is factoring in the cost of repairs into the price. See below from the ad. How big of crack is it?

"The lower front bumper area does have one crack. This happened when a potential owner backed off the driveway and the car will need to be color sanded to remove some swirls from leaving a tarp over it while I had some garage floor work done. It will cost $1k to repair."\

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 03-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Point well taken Bill, there is no question bolt on wheels lower the value of a replica, especially on a 'high end' car like an ERA. Not so much a factor on an FFR, where you would expect to find them.

But thats a pretty small factor concerning the excellent price for what you get. I think the crack in the lower oil cooler area is not a big factor either, difficult to see after all. The 'tarp' leaving marks on the cars paint may be far more problematic, it may or may not 'buff out'. If your looking for a 'show car' I would include the price of a new paint job in that case. Could be a deal killer...

Another thing comes to mind concerning the pictures. How recent are they? Do they represent the car accuratly as it currently sits?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Oinie...wire 'em.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Might even fool Bill, from a distance!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:36 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Might even fool Bill, from a distance!
Bill has an "in" when it comes to paint work these days and has already factored everything in to the car (remember I had ERA234) except how to talk the wife into it with our current state of no real income

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

I was not aware that the plates were that easy to obtain. Thanks for the reply. I am not yet in a position to buy, but when I looked at it, it felt wrong to me, but did not seem wrong to some of you, so I was wondering. By the time I am able to buy, I will likely be an expert.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 545" stroked 460 - sold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The seller is apparently registered with e-bay in a DIFFERENT country than the USA.
Where did you find that? I was looking at the auction and it says when clicking on the seller "yankeegirl31 Member since: Jun-16-04 Location: United States"
Old 03-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I logged in and ask a question of the seller. E-Bay reply, before I could send, was the user was registered in an area where the LANGUAGE may not be english. Perhaps they meant Kalifornia? Perhaps she (he?) registered in their home country but considers the USA 'home' for all pratical and business purposes. I don't know what it means.

Last edited by Excaliber; 03-31-2008 at 01:25 PM..
Old 03-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There are a NUMBER of potential 'red flags' with this car, something just doesn't add up. patrickt has been doing some digging as well, I hope he weighs in with his findings. It is CLEAR the seller is WAY ignorant concerning the specs of the car. "She" (yankeegirl) seems to think the Shelby vin plate is an original ERA vin plate for one thing. A serious mistake.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:11 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
patrickt has been doing some digging as well, I hope he weighs in with his findings.
If anyone is seriously considering placing a deposit on this car without actually seeing it with their own eyes and touching it (or having someone they trust do that for them) they can PM me first.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

This car could have been part of an estate or even a divorce settlement...you just never know. Just because the seller in not well educated in the hobby does not mean the car is junk (but it doesn't guarantee that it isn't, either). Lots of variables, but may be worthwhile to check out.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 208, 428CJ
Not Ranked     

I was the one that asked if there was an ERA plate as it seemed wierd to me that the picture showed a Shelby American tag. I have not seen anyone change the tag out. The other thing that is a bit wierd is that in the reply to the question, they said there is a picture of the tag....(a picture of the Shelby American tag not the ERA tag)...As far as the wheels, I bought the adapters and pin drives from Vintage Wheel for my ERA and they came out beutiful. I then sold my ERA bolt-on simulated wheels for $650. So it cost just over a grand to switch them over. This car could still be a real buy, but I agree someone has to get to see it before sending any $$$$
Old 03-31-2008, 04:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

zoera-sc7xx, indeed the car itself may be fine and may well be an excellent buy. The ownership, vin numbers and history are the primary concerns for myself. The auction will likely be over, deposit made before you get any real answers or a chance to inspect the car, well, thats e-bay for ya!

Yankeegirl is also selling a $100K Porsche from the same location as the Cobra. Look at the pics of the Porsche, same house as the the pictures of the Cobra. Probably this is a straight up and down deal, probably, maybe...

Last edited by Excaliber; 03-31-2008 at 04:58 PM..
Old 03-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Probably priced right given that there is acknowledged body work and possibly additional paint work. #361 was probably produced by ERA in the around 93'. Bolt on wheels are not a huge downside and I am not sure it indicates a corner cutting build. It does have a 427 so in it. A "budget" build would have a 390 or 351 in it. That is where the biggest cost would be.

More than likely represents a good buy for someone who wants to be able to drive and continue to tinker with a solid foundation for a car.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Quote:
zoera-sc7xx, indeed the car itself may be fine and may well be an excellent buy. The ownership, vin numbers and history are the primary concerns for myself. The auction will likely be over, deposit made before you get any real answers or a chance to inspect the car, well, thats e-bay for ya!

Yankeegirl is also selling a $100K Porsche from the same location as the Cobra. Look at the pics of the Porsche, same house as the the pictures of the Cobra. Probably this is a straight up and down deal, probably, maybe...
Those fairly standard items to concern yourself with any car purchase. Thanks for pointing this out.

Lets send in a private investigator to get a full report?
Old 03-31-2008, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA. 427 COMP, 427/SO, 601 HP, 543 ftlb, ext oil pump, accusump, rebat batteries, 377 rear, Top Loader, Solid Roller
Not Ranked     

The Shelby VIN tag is located where ERA puts their VIN tag - on the driver's side foot box. Original Cobras had their VIN tag on the passenger side foot box. I have that same Shelby VIN tag on the passenger side foot box of my ERA, but I stamped it as ERA-576.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've seen the title report all ready, it aint pretty, far from 'standard'.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Enlarge picture number six out of the picture group. Now look over the driver's side rear fender and you'll see who is just waiting for the car to move!
Sam
Old 04-01-2008, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 165 392 Ford Crate 430HP
Not Ranked     

The copper is just awaiting for some fool to start her up..lol