Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Enclosed trailer questions...

Anybody have an idea what a 20x8.5 haulmark enclosed would weigh empty? It's an 04 model if that helps. I got an offer on a pretty smoking deal on one but I'm afraid it might be a little too much for my 03 5.4l Expedition.

It will haul a 3100# race car, several spare wheels and tires, tools, fuel, etc. The typical race gear.

Josh
Old 05-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

If I remember correctly your Expeddition will haul 8900#. I have the same truck.
I know it did not answer your question but its a start.

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 05-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I took a look at Haulmark's site. It probably has a 7000 GVW, with a curb weight of ~3400. You should be fine with Expedition. If you get the exact model number, you can get the specs from Haulmark's site.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 05-13-2008, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default There is no weight problem Josh

fsstnotch Josh There's the things to check, Make sure the tires are up to spec. The load range is most important on this. Make sure you go under the trailer and look for any frame damage. Check e-bay for prices for the same size trailer. Make sure the frame is not rotting out and the floor is solid. The size for a cobra is OK, You may have trouble fitting a full size car into the trailer with stuff in front. As far as pulling a full load, UNLESS on flat ground, DON'T use overdrive going up hill, slow down a little and let the trans go into 3rd gear without lockup. This is alot easier on the trans. Get a trans fluid temp gauge installed if you can. 65mph will get you there 5 minutes later than doing 70 mph and maybe in one piece. You might want to look at the 24' trailers. They have more room for parts. You are going to be a brick pushing through the air. The wieght of car,trailer, and spare parts will out wieght your tow rig. I am looking at a lowhauler, for my needs. Enough for car and parts. More aero that standard size trailers. If have to work on car in trailer you are bent over anyway. Places I goto have garages anyway. You can also fit a lowhauler in the garage with a 7' door. Does your truck have a haul or tow mode? you want to use this with the trailer, it changes the shifting of the trans and gives full pressure to the trans all the time. Hope you are packed, stay safe, hear from you soon. Rick L. ps hope the breakables are out of the bedroom
Old 05-13-2008, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, Now I'm not sure. I am buying a new trailer for the race car. It will be dedicated to teh race car. This way I can leave all the tools, spare parts and such in the trailer. I planned to just buy a 20' open trailer and put a box and tire rack on teh front of it. But then I came across this enclosed 20x8.5 for $2300. The pics the guy posted, it is a little banged up, it has quite a few dents and dings. Especially for a 5yr old trailer. The tires and bearings were just replaced and it does have good trailer specific tires on it. I don't NEED an enclosed, I can get another 20' open trailer for $1800.

I had budgeted to buy another open at $1800. The enclosed is really nice except the dings which are cosmetic. But is it worth the extra $500. I tried getting the guy to come down but he wouldn't budge. $2300 is a fair price I think so I can't blame him.

Here's the pics he sent me. Some dents across the top and a big dent on the right front.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I love the dings and scratches, let everyone think it is empty or full of junk. Your expedition will struggle to pull, make sure you have the extended warranty for transmission replacement. Tow ratings from Gunk Motors and Found on Road Dead are for the guy pulling is 22 ft' bow rider 15 miles to the boat ramp, sure it has an 8000lb tow rating over 15 miles. You start pulling cars 1000 miles you can cut the tow rating in half.

The only trucks made to pull those loads are the diesel or HD series. Check out the serpent express and you will have no problems towing.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry it is definetly worth and extra $500 for enclosed!!! You could store stuff in year arond when you are not using, plus ultimate security if you stay at hotels etc during your trip plus resale value etc
Old 05-13-2008, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Josh

It is probably a good deal----for a starter trailer---but

If you want to use it a lot ( several times per season) get a 24 ft, with a 4 foot side door with recessed step( golf car t will fit thru 4 side door) and at least 30 inches in front of the door so you can mount a bench/counter top across a couple of tool box cabinets--get a bubble on the front for aero and I would suggest staying away from the pointed fronts as they have very adverse effects towing in cross winds or gusts

Put stickdown tile on the floor and some pit pal type wall racks

Hurry home

Jerry
Old 05-13-2008, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

20' is perfect for a Cobra. I have a work bench in mine and still have plenty room.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Enclosed Trailer

That corner peice that is dent is a replaceable part from HAULMARK not very expensive. I hit a chunk of a semi tire and did the same thing to mine and repaired it. I have towed a 24 ft enclsed with my expedition it handles it well if you get a good hitch with load leveling bars this helps tremendously. No it is not a ball of fire but it does the job at 60 mph. If I want to go fast I use my crew cab diesel with chip and big exhaust I run 72 to 75 with it and get 13 mpg. Just a little info for you
Old 05-13-2008, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys! One thing I just noticed is the front top. it looks like it has a plastic cover in that area and it looks like it is cracked?

Now to try and convince the wife to spend $500 over budget.... :P

This is what I'll be hauling for now. Then, I'm hoping for a Daytona in a couple years!
Old 05-13-2008, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge, Boss 429
Not Ranked     

Hey Josh,
I think it's a pretty fair deal, but only if the posters stay w/ the trailer