14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2907 with a stroked genisis 427 side oiler and dual quads
Not Ranked     
Default Has anyone Chromed there Side pipes

I Just ordered a Superformance and can't afford stainless side pipes and was thinking of having them chromed. Has anybody had any luck trying this? and if so please show me some pictures. I have heard that they might have a bluing effect up front but i think that might be kind of cool.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I'm sure there are some folks out there who have chromed their pipes but I think the majority of owners who want shiney pipes have gone the cereamic coating route. They won't blue out the way chromies do. Another option is to have the pipes cereamic coated on the inside and chromed on the outside the way some motorcycles do to keep them from bluing.
DonC
Old 06-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Here's a pic of chromed sidepipes on my car.

And here's the ceramic coated headers from the engine to collector

I get very little "bluing" or rainbow-ing on the chrome. There is some, but I think it looks OK. Just a little metal polish once in a while. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

Rock'n, how many miles do you have on the chrome? I don't see any bluing in the pic. Also interesting what Don mentioned - ceramic inside and chrome out. I had my sidepipes and headers ceramic coated inside and out. I haven't fired my motor yet, but am told that coating inside and out significantly reduces surface temps. Will see very soon!
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 06-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

PHM - How much more are the ceramic pipes over black? Not that much as I recall. In the big picture, it's worth getting the ceramic pipes. They look great and are easy to maintain.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 06-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

The key to the chrome is the quality of it. There are different levels of chroming that can assure a better result. Had the opportunity to see a real car in person a couple weeks ago. The pipes looked great, owner has had the car for 22+ years and put them out for chrome about 10 years ago... even hooked up to a very hot Moody 427 they looked great.

Though the current cost of chrome, you may find the stainless pipes are not that much. I don't know since SS is standard for us.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

My chrome pipes rusted out pretty quickly. Stainless fixed it. Save some bucks and do it right the first time. Consider ceramic or stainless.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had polished stainless on my Excalibur and I'll NEVER do THAT again! Those suckers are the temperature of the Sun. Freakin' snake bite in a heart beat just brushing against them lightly. I would think chrome would be just as bad or worse. Powder coat is WAY cooler in temperature. As for me, I use VHT paint and touch 'em up every so often on my ERA. And yeah, it IS a pain in the butt having to touch them up, but they look like brand new again when your done! I worry about the ceramic coating getting permanent marks or whatever on the surface.

My stainless pipe eventually did get some staining here and there from various sources and it's really hard to get that out. Of course if your only talking about ownership for a couple of years, OK. Me? I'm in it for the long haul, I'll stick with VHT and 'get new pipes' every year.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2907 with a stroked genisis 427 side oiler and dual quads
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
PHM - How much more are the ceramic pipes over black? Not that much as I recall. In the big picture, it's worth getting the ceramic pipes. They look great and are easy to maintain.
The price difference is bettween $350 - $420 I am going to look into what it would cost for chroming.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have about 3500 mi on the clock, and still no noticeable bluing. Ernie's right about the temps....been bit several times when I got out after a drive to do something on the engine and bam!! Instant burn. Takes a month or so to go away. Gotta quit wearing shorts....but hey, it's Southern California!!

I personally like the chrome look and I've seen the stainless and there's a little more maintenance involved. But they don't seem to wear out. I think the trick is the ceramic headers into a chromed collector and sidepipes....or ceramic collector if that look is good for you. Have fun.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Here is some Vintage Chrome............CSX3018

Old 06-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeff,

Your car never fails to amaze me. It looks like it's off and running just sitting there. Nice shots. Chrome is holding up well it seems.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Except when you look at the '62 Chevy wagon in the background of one shot, and the '66 Olds in the other, you really have to wonder if that's Jeff's car in the pictures. It looks like his car (in his avatar) has white pipes.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

PHM, I have chrome side pipes on my Contemporary. As soon as I pull the engine down, the side pipes (along with several other items) go off to jet coat to get ceramic coated with their sterling silver ceramic. It is a lot easier to take care of than chrome and it looks better in that it doesn't discolor from heat, water spot, or get plastic bags stuck to it and melted in.( long story behind that one!)

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 09-03-2018, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Are the side pipes pretty universal? Mine seem loose inside and rattle. What are the cost of them new? ...painted? Chromed? Stainless?
Old 09-04-2018, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkII
Not Ranked     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYNReloa3Xc

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-13530320
Old 09-04-2018, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks G8. Still in the market for some straight talk from someone who has facts in their head and are welling to give me some friendly guidance, please.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Isn’t that Messersmiths car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Here is some Vintage Chrome............CSX3018

Old 09-05-2018, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkII
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Thanks G8. Still in the market for some straight talk from someone who has facts in their head and are welling to give me some friendly guidance, please.
Had to go back to your initial post where you described your car and engine. As a car built in limited numbers and chevy powered - I doubt that your sidepipes could be called universal because most chevy powered cars require custom headers that could be fabbed in a myriad of configurations. Builders/owners that I know only replace the muffler section when the guts get loose and rattle. That means cutting the existing ones out - as well as the turnouts - and welding the new ones in. A good tig welder can make them look nice. The slimlines from Summit are very popular - available in SS that looks "almost" polished.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5USMC View Post
Isn’t that Messersmiths car ?
I like your windscreen! How does it work out for a full face clad passenger? I also see you have some screens over the grill opening and oil cooler opening. I also spy a 62 chevy wagon, right? cool!