Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Best looking cobra I've ever seen..... (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/94642-best-looking-cobra-ive-ever-seen.html)

AMF 02-07-2009 06:09 PM

Best looking cobra I've ever seen.....

This is what got me started on the cobra bandwagon.

http://www.classyauto.com/v/Ford+Cob...+Replica/59930

Some of the purists might think it's an abomination. I think it's sex on wheels.

I purchased a streetbeasts kit, (not for their reputation as being a quality kit) but for the coupe version.

patrickt 02-07-2009 06:18 PM

Ok...

I like it. It looks best from the back though.

LudicrousSpeed 02-07-2009 07:39 PM

You're Right- Abomination!!!
:eek:
Who in their right mind would put an automatic transmission in that car!?!
:mad:

02roush 02-07-2009 08:05 PM

The SuperSnake had an auto.....

elmariachi 02-07-2009 08:23 PM

:eek::eek:Raul Julila would be using his water pistol on it.....

xracerbob 02-07-2009 08:38 PM

I think its fine except the small bock chevy, automatic, funky side pipes, wheels, tail lights, hard top....

CHANMADD 02-07-2009 09:19 PM

I like it. I think the rear window should go much lower and bigger. Good car for the Winter.....

badrich 02-08-2009 12:42 AM

The paint is nice...

thudmaster 02-08-2009 12:50 AM

Reminds me of my GT6 except with more power......

Trevor Legate 02-08-2009 03:30 AM

Not a replica of anything - just another Kustom Kar.

pass the valium

mr bruce 02-08-2009 04:52 AM

Glad the "cobra" police are on patrol. Kinda looks like the Mambo, AC(Lubnski?) was going to build. Does have a few hints of a hardtop Aceta. Would be a good car for bad weather areas/country with roll up windows and weathertight cocpit.http://www.seriouswheels.com/abc/AC-Mamba.htm

KevinM 02-08-2009 05:10 AM

You know, everyone always gets upset about an automatic trans in a Cobra.

Just for the record, Shelby's personal Cobras, 289 and 427 had automatic transmissions in them. He liked the auto a lot better for street driving. Some 20 to 30 original Cobras were sold with auto transmissions in them. You could order them that way from Shelby.

Kevin

Rickd 02-08-2009 05:37 AM

Kinda looks like a cobra ran into a Plymouth Barracuda.

Power Surge 02-08-2009 05:57 AM

The back half of the car is nice. The front half of the car is nice. Together, they are not so nice.

The guy should have just built a Cheeta.

Ron61 02-08-2009 06:31 AM

Not to bad and as mentioned, it would be great for bad weather areas. The main thing I don't care for is the side pipe mounting. It looks as if they are out from the body to far, or maybe it is just the angles of the pictures. But I prefer them to be as close as possible which makes it easier to get out without burning your leg.

Ron

Great Asp 02-08-2009 08:20 AM

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...t-want-dog.jpg

Double Venom 02-08-2009 08:46 AM

Man oh Man!
Thats one heck of a bushel of work! And I like it for what it's worth. Don't mind the auto at all- the right automatic will beat a 4-5-6 spd any day on the track- giving every else is oranges to oranges- Ron has the only fault I can see- tuck those sidepipes IN! Chevy?? ohwell-change it!
DV

cobra de capell 02-08-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMF (Post 919091)
This is what got me started on the cobra bandwagon.

http://www.classyauto.com/v/Ford+Cob...+Replica/59930

Some of the purists might think it's an abomination. I think it's sex on wheels.

I purchased a streetbeasts kit, (not for their reputation as being a quality kit) but for the coupe version.

Worst looking Cobra I've ever seen - sort of looks like they were going for the early Z car look. Actually, it should not be even called a Cobra.

AMF 02-08-2009 10:55 AM

I figured I'd get a mixed reaction.

Like I said, I can respect the purist opinion on the whole deal.

I'm not wealthy enough to afford a good weather car (nor do I have enough garage space to tie up an entire bay with a car that only goes out when it's sunny or fair weather out).

The other aspect I like about it is that I'll be able to install a viable roll cage. Something not possible with a roadster. I want a street car that is halfway safe as well. Up till now, the thought of driving a cobra at the track was quite frankly a bit scary. (at least with a cabin and a roll cage there's less of a chance of grating my face and helmet to a pulp if the car goes tits up). I know, I know, roadsters can feature roll bars....but they look to be about as effective as peanut shell helmet....there only out of a sense of satsifying a requirement rather than a true intent for safety.

Anyway, I like it....a lot.

And as far as the rest of the comments.

1) I agree, the exhaust fit/finish SEEMS strange to me from the photographs. Not sure why they don't follow the body lines better.

2) As far as engines go, we could debate forever. I'm a mustang fan, not necessarily a Ford nut. GM, Chrysler and Ford all produce engine platforms that have high points and low points. Pick your poison. Even a rice burner can be made to perform and do it well. I don't see anything terrible about a GM power train.

3) As far as the auto goes, it's personal preference. I think a true auto leaves a bit to be desired in a sports car. I plan to run a racing auto (reverse manual valve body) and eventually put automatic paddle shifters. I guess it would be closer to call it a "clutchless" rather than an auto. In any sense though, all things being equal, autos outperform manuals. Only in NASCAR (which is more concerned with equity and fair play than effectiveness....which is why they run old technology) do they feature manuals. Drag and Indy feature autos.

I agree that a true clutch/manual is the most fun, but for snapping out 10 second 1/4 passes, hole shots and straightaway runs......an auto is more effective and more importantly....more consistent. (that's one of the biggest reasons the drag guys use them)....again....I'm speaking of a manual v-body version.

tkb289 02-08-2009 12:37 PM

AMF

Interesting car ... a couple of thoughts ...

- Most import, you like it.
- As mentioned above, it's more of a 'Cobra' inspired custom car than Cobra replica.
- The side pipes and tail lights don't seem to fit the design of the car, IMHO.

- Tim