LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Sp931
Not Ranked     

I hate to say it guys but you are missing the big picture here. SB100
allows you to avoid all pollution laws and let's face it the motors you
guys build for these cars are just major pollutors. YOu can stand on a soap box all day long and say you don't drive them but in the end that will not matter. The fact that you spew 20x plus times the legal limit regardless of how much you drive will simply kill this bill in Ca. If anything our elected officals will look at 500 being too much and look at reducing the number to 100, that is real life here in Ca. The State can't afford to lose Federal funds if the air does not meet federal standards. In the Bay Area you can't even light a fire in your fireplace on spare the air days and reports are showing that it works so look for more regulation..those are the facts.
Now if you can meet existing smog requirements then you have a shot at getting some regulation passed with no maximum limit as long as some whinny lady represenative doesn't complain about the lack of modern safety features on these cars...I believe that lady represents Palo Alto amoung others

Nice letter Steve but this bill is such a long shot I doubt it has a chance....

McDoo The real one
Old 03-11-2009, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

The numbers we are talking here is miniscule so the pollution argument doesn't carry much water, IMO....

...and not having to have your engine meet emission standards is the whole reason why we want the SB100 type of bill in the first place!!!

I don't get your point(s)...
Old 03-11-2009, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatBuckley View Post
The numbers we are talking here is miniscule so the pollution argument doesn't carry much water, IMO....

...and not having to have your engine meet emission standards is the whole reason why we want the SB100 type of bill in the first place!!!

I don't get your point(s)...
Sorry, but McDoo is right. The politicians and environazis don't care about the reality of the numbers, they will only highlight what drives their agenda (i.e. the cars are gross polluters. That's why there are so many morons out there that are still pushing the idea that global warming is the result of increased CO2 emissions from human activities.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
And with every car they can get off the road they sell the companies the right to spew more and more emissions into the air. Please explain how removing 1 ton per year and replacing it with 5 tons because the big companies will pay them millions is cleaning the air any.

This bill needs to be passed to give something in this state for people to look forward to.

McDoo,

The fact that you spew 20x plus times the legal limit regardless of how much you drive.

Please tell me where you got this scientific information.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery

Last edited by Ron61; 03-11-2009 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: To amend
Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

McDoo,

The fact that you spew 20x plus times the legal limit regardless of how much you drive.

Please tell me where you got this scientific information.

Ron[/quote]

Ron,

That is how much over the limit my 408 stroker motor registered when it was tested at the Bar.

The state wants to control emission levels and that is why 500 is the limit. If they eliminate the limit then they have also eliminated their control and that is what won't fly. Ca is already making emissions standards higher for new cars than what the Fed's mandate so why would they allow spcn cars to circumvent the law..You got a good deal at 500

McDoo.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
McDoo,

When my 408 stroker was tested it was about 9 times the level for 2007. Now I know that these engines are never going to meet the levels they want but if they took every car in the state off the road, unless they start making the big companies meet their requirements, it is not going to help. We never had smog at all here until Knauf moved in. They have never met the emission requirements they agreed to and every year just pay a few million and get the credit to double or triple what they dumped the year before as their original filters are now completely worthless and the state won't make them do anything abut it. Everyone here voted against even letting them move in and they went to the state and got permission to ignore the peoples vote and build here anyway.
The 500 is a joke and you know it. As long as they refuse to crack down on manufacturing companies that spew tons of that crap into the air, no amount of cars is going to help. And you are aware that every car they get off the road they rush right out and sell the emissions that they figure that car would have emitted to some company so they don't have to clean up their emissions aren't you.
By the way, this is not trying to belittle your statements or pick a fight. We just don't agree and that should be something that can be done withut anger or name calling as so many of the threads seem to degenerate to any more. I have the SB-100 on my car too, but would still like to see them unlimited.And I believe that after a year or two you would see a huge drop in applications as people who have waited for years won't get one because of this limit, plus the state would take in huge amounts of money on registrations during that period.
And how about Pelosi, Boxer.and Fienstien flying back and forth to Washington twice a week on their own jets? One of those darn things dumps more pollution in the air on take off and landing than you car will in 5 years.

Ron

Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Not that it's a huge difference, but when my FE was tested at the BAR, the ref said my car was 8x what a 2008 Honda puts out in emissions, which is almost zero.

I would have to agree with McDoo in that I think lifting the 500 limit won't happen because the environmental lobby will kill it. The ever tightening restrictions on new cars with the goal of zero emissions while relaxing the standards or limts on SPCNS cars is inconsistent.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Unfortunately I think he is correct also but this will be the last chance we in this state will ever have to get it where we can register SPCN cars. Next will be the bill to ban all cars over X number of years old and that $2,500 the state is willing to chip in on a new car is a joke. I really believe than in the not to far future we will see only people of power and wealth allowed to own and drive private vehicles of any kind and then most likely they will move on to land and houses. I hope that I am wrong, but if you will just got back only 10 years and start reading the rights that have been revoked from the people by our all knowing power happy politicians, this could become a reality much faster than you may think. I don't have any answer, but until they start making the smoke stack industries meet the emission standards they set for them instead of selling them Carbon Credits to put more into the air I don't see how they can even claim to be serious about clean air.

A very simple example for the politicians on here that they may understand. They take a cup of muddy water out of a lake and tell the people they can't do whatever it was that caused that cup of water to be muddy and close their business. They then sell me who has a factory that produces millions of gallons of muddy water the right to dump 10 more cups into the lake because they have removed one cup that the people would have put in and I have paid them a big sum.

Ron

Old 03-11-2009, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron,

I understand your frustrations but we have to be realistic. It is far easier
to control emissions from cars than it is to control and test large manufacturing plants. The Bar has a test system in place and it is easy to control so that's the first step. Let's face it, our elected officals got where they are because they have a good line and probably couldn't survive in industry...that is just how it is. If everyone voted based on intellect and qualifications we would live in a different world, wouldn't we !!! The revenue
from slaes tax and registration is small stuff when compared to large industry
here in Ca and those are just the facts. YOu have a SB100 cert on your car so you are set and that makes your car more valuable should you decide to sell...be happy with that...

McDoo
Old 03-12-2009, 02:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Then the liars should quit hiding behind the statements they are helping the air. It gets worse here every year and will until someone blows that dam fiberglass plant up. They had to close for a month due to lack of business and for the first time since the Republic of California forced us to let them build here, we could see Mt Shasta clearly like in the good old days. And we still have more cars on the road here than we did then. I suppose if I could afford to go in and pay the CARB a few million I could get a registration for any kind of vehicle I wanted to drive.

Ron

Old 03-13-2009, 12:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Trust me : they want the money worse than they want the enviro-dudes happy.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 03-23-2009, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This bill can be voted on beginning this Thursday. Now is the time for a second contact with your state senators.

Kevin
Old 03-23-2009, 06:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Already did that. I have been following the bill since I first heard about it on here. Hope for the best.

Ron

Old 03-23-2009, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ron,

I'm hoping we have other supporters who are following this and are willing to make a second contact. With the number of people building kit cars in CA, I'm amazed we didn't have 100 people comment on this.

Kevin
Old 03-23-2009, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427sc
Not Ranked     

I'll writing a letter tonight...I hope the States greed can overcome their disingenuous and ineffectual concern for the environment. A few Cobras and hot rods driving a few miles on a weekend is NOT the problem with California's air. Smoke stack industries, fuel spewing jet liners taking off every 20 sec., clogged highways with commuters creeping along at 4 mph and the total lack of efficient mass transit is where their focus should be.

I would even be supportive if fees and taxes were increased to help pay for some of the real solutions that should be getting the attention.

It boggles the mind to consider the massive waste when you see a 6 lane freeway grind to a halt with all these ultra clean and efficient cars, each carrying one person just sitting and idling. You know what your mileage is when you are standing still, idling your engine? 0 mpg. That is not good for anyone.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Cobra- guys- use this web site to find your legislators.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html

call them, email them , hell go visit them! !!!

Point: make sure they put real hard working family people associated with SB232.

focus on how this increases sales tax revenue, and fosters small craftsman business and auto shops.

and that these are driven on sundays.....and not daily drivers.

--Steve

Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com

Last edited by PANAVIA; 03-23-2009 at 11:25 AM..
Old 03-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
Cobra- guys- use this web site to find your legislators.

call them, email them , hell go visit them! !!!

Point: make sure they put real hard working family people associated with SB232.

focus on how this increases sales tax revenue, and fosters small craftsman business and auto shops.

and that these are driven on sundays.....and not daily drivers.

--Steve

I sent an email to the two Senators (Maldonado and Simitian) in my district.

It's dumb, but you can't send an message through Senator Benoit's website unless you are in his district. I found an email address for Benoit, but it bounced back. Decided to mail out another letter via snail mail.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 03-23-2009 at 04:53 PM..
Old 03-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Doug,

I sent him one by going to the Senate site in Sacramento and pulling up a copy of the bill and then his name. Mine went through ok. I believe I did that the first day this thread was posted.

Ron