Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Re SB- 232

Moderators, I am posting this here but if it is in the wrong place please move it to whearever it should be.

Now the gist of the story: I just got off the phone after talking to Senator Benoit's office in Sacramento and here is what I was asked to do. The bill will be coming up for a vot before to long and he is sponsering it for some car club.
They want everyone who is interested in cars, especially the Special Construction ones to write a letter to the Senator stating their interest and how much that 500 number needs to be abolished. The reason for letters instead of e-mails and such is they can then take physical proof to the Senate when they go to have the bill voted on that it has a lot of backing. It will permanently do away with the 500 number limit and you will still have to meet the regular SB-100 criteria, except everything will be registered by year of body and no engine years which I know of no one up here who ever used anything but the body year.
So would everyone in California who is interested in getting rid of the 500 number limit please writh to the Senator expressing your interest and thanks to him for sponsering this bill. If they can get enough letters before the bill is voted on, they think it has a good chance of passing as the revenue alone that it would take in would be a big incenantive. Plus the fact they arex going to stress that these cars are not daily drivers and most are driven for shows, parades, and such and only in the Summer or on good days. This is important for all of us in this state so please write a short letter expressing your support and if you are a member of a car club and the club prersident will write a letter reprersenting the club that will carry a lot of weight too.

The Address is:

Senator John Benoit
State capital Room 4066
Sacramento, Cal. 95814.

Thanks,

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-06-2009, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ron,

Great Info!

Is there a Senate web address where the status of this bill can be tracked?

Kevin
Old 03-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Kevin,

You should be able to go to www.sen.ca.gov That will take you to the home page of the Legislature and then you just click on the links on the left to go to whatever you want to look at. Legislation I believe it is will open a page that you can search by Bill Number of Sponsor and it is kept pretty well updated.

Ron

Old 03-06-2009, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For anyone interested, you can read the full bill and track it's status here:

http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postq...use=B&site=sen

Kevin
Old 03-07-2009, 04:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Back to the top. All Californians need to write in to support this bill.

Ron

Old 03-08-2009, 05:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Are Kevin and I the only ones in this state that would like to see this bill passed? I have called 14 people that I know, 8 of who have wanted to buy or build a car for the past 4 or 5 years but won't because they won't be able to get one of the 500 numbers we are now allowed. Every one of them just don't want to be bothered with writing a short letter to Senator Benoit supporting the bill so he will have then to show the Senate when he presents the bill to be voted on. If that is the prevailing attitude, then I guess there won't be much chance for him to get this bill passed as he is facing some very strong opposition to it. Also it would open up the market for new kit car builders as they would be able to have their cars registered when they finished them and not spend 2 or 3 years trying to get one of the 500 numbers now allowed. And you could also take advantage of buying a used car from out of state and take it in and go through the process with no trouble any time of year since their would be no limit on how many the DMV can title

Ron

Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Ron, I'm working on one, just haven't finished it yet.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That is great, but please write to Senator Benoit expressing your backing for the bill and get any of your friends and people that you know to do so too. That is the only way this bill will get past the people fighting it is if he has enough letters, interpreted by the Senators as votes lost if they vote the bill down. Just think how nice it would be to be able to walk in any time of the year when you are ready and get your SB-100 number. His aide that I talked to said they were pointing out that these cars are only driven on a limited basis and not daily drivers and that many areas were to cold in the Winter and to hot in the summer to drive them much. That 500 number is a joke and has made a mess of everything. And the state would take in a lot of money on registrations under the SB-100 that they now don't because people can't get a number and won't build or buy a car. And up here in Northern Calif. it is almost impossible to get one of them so the few people that did get one went and spent the weekend in Sacramento near one of the friendly DMV offices.
Good luck with the build and I hope you have it going soon. You will enjoy driving it for sure.

Ron

Old 03-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Hey Ron, I'm up and running and registered already. I just meant that I haven't finished the letter to Senator Benoit. I may even send him a small political contribution.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Sorry for the misread. I thought that your car was finished but then there are so many in different stages of build or starting it is hard to remember which is which and on top of that I just flat misread your post.Mt bad and thanks for supporting the bill.

Ron

Old 03-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Ron,

I'll put a short letter together and get it out in the mail early next week. Just curious, what is Senator Benoit's angle/motivation to sponsor the bill?

We might get more interest if there was some talking points that could be included in the letter. Do you know if Senator Benoit has any angle on the economic benefits to the state? Based on the health of our State budget, any new potential revenue for the state could spur additional interest in the legislature.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 03-08-2009, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Working on This
Not Ranked     
Default Letter

Ron, I am one of those who have been holding back purchasing/building an SPCN in fear of having to explain to the wife why I cannot drive my expensive toy.

I will draft a letter in the next couple of days expressing my support of the proposed Bill.

Bob
Old 03-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Ron,

I'll put a short letter together and get it out in the mail early next week. Just curious, what is Senator Benoit's angle/motivation to sponsor the bill?

We might get more interest if there was some talking points that could be included in the letter. Do you know if Senator Benoit has any angle on the economic benefits to the state? Based on the health of our State budget, any new potential revenue for the state could spur additional interest in the legislature.
Those are some of the very main ponts that he is using is that the state is losoing millions in registration of these cars and that they are not driven enough to make any noticible contribution to the smog problem. The aide I talked to was well informed about the bill and he told me they had figured out how much they take in on the 500 numbers and if hey would multiply that by the amount they could take in for cars and vehicles that would not contribute any measurable amount to the smog no more than they are driven it would be a major point to use. My understanding was he is working with some car club in his districtand sponsering the bill for them after talking to their membera and finding out about the cars, how much they are driven and used and so forth. Also the more expensive the car, the more registration they take in. In my letter I stressed the aboveplus the fact that more manufacturers may move into the state if they can get the cars registered and that would provide some jobs. It would also open up the market for Californians to buy out of state cars and have them registered here which would bring in a lot of money.

Here is the Sacrament Phone Number if anyone wants to call and ask more about the bill, but it is a straight forward plainly written one that keeps the originalSB-100 process for registration but does away with the 500 number limit.
916-651-4037

Ron

Old 03-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Current Status, Note the date it may be votd on. that is fast approaching.

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : S.B. No. 232
AUTHOR(S) : Benoit.
TOPIC : Vehicles: specially constructed vehicles.
HOUSE LOCATION : SEN

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
Non-State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 02/24/2009
LAST HIST. ACTION : From print. May be acted upon on or after March 26.
COMM. LOCATION : SEN TRANSPORTATION AND HOUSING

TITLE : An act to amend Section 44017.4 of the Health and Safety
Code, and to amend Section 4750.1 of the Vehicle Code,
relating to vehicles.

Ron

Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

I am activating my connections. -- more news later.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2008 Shelby GT500
Not Ranked     

Letter just written goes out this morning.

Thanks for the heads up.

FIA Mike
Old 03-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thanks to all of you who have written in support of this bill. It would do wonders for future people wanting ti build cars plus the state would gain a lot of money on the registrations and since the cars aren't driven that much, they would have very little impact if any on the air quality.

Ron

Old 03-10-2009, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Ok, so I put this in front of the semasan (sema) guys, summit racing, hillbank, senator able maldanados office , several other contacts etc.

Sample letter;

David, - -- Good Afternoon, -- I need your help – wake the neighbors!!!!

The Car culture in California is an important part of our history, and very much a part of who we are as Californians.

I need your help with contacting all California Senators with regards to bill CA Senate SB 232 , and passing it ! –

SB 232 is a modification of SB100 from 2001, where Californians were finally allowed legally to build a replica of a vintage car –and register it-- from scratch !

Building a replica of a car from 1900 to 1965 is something that caries special meaning for Millions of Californians. There is now an industry built around this hobby, especially in California. Before SB100, building a car from scratch was prone to error , fraud and problems . SB100 fixed some of that , but only by opening up a keyhole, vs. opening up the door.

If you are unfamiliar with SB100, I have attached a press release PDF from 2001 when SB100 was passed that basically explains the core of the original Bill.

Now fast-forward to 2009, where SB232 is in the senate, - SB232 is a plainly worded initiative that modifies the original SB100 by removing the limitation on the number of permits issued per year. By passing SB232, this will help grow and preserve a important Californian hobby , improve safety , create jobs, and raise revenue for the State of CA.

The sense of urgency on SB232 is great as it is in the senate right now. (now-now)

Current Bill status ; as of 3/07/09

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : S.B. No. 232
AUTHOR(S) : Benoit.
TOPIC : Vehicles: specially constructed vehicles.
HOUSE LOCATION : SEN

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
Non-State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 02/24/2009
LAST HIST. ACTION : From print. May be acted upon on or after March 26.
COMM. LOCATION : SEN TRANSPORTATION AND HOUSING

TITLE : An act to amend Section 44017.4 of the Health and Safety
Code, and to amend Section 4750.1 of the Vehicle Code,
relating to vehicles.

The TEXT of SB 232 can be seen here ;

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bil...introduced.pdf

Bottom line , SB232 removes the restriction of 500 units being processed under SB100 each year.

This opens up many avenues of revenue for the state, enhances commerce, improves safety of hobbyist automobiles, generates skilled labor jobs, fosters a family oriented hobby across CA.

The car culture in California is an important part of our history, and very much a part of who we are as Californians.

Right now , only some Californians have the ability to recreate a piece of automotive history and innovate new interpretations of it. SB232 could open that up to many more people.

The concept we are discussing is the ability for a regular person to build a Replica of a famous vintage car, the DMV calls this a “specially constructed vehicle” or “SPCN”. In a state of 36+M people you can see , 500 permits per year is a mighty small number.

Existing SB100 Pitfalls /Solutions:

1. Since there are only 500 SB100 permits per year ;

a. With only 500 permits available , - When DMV opens on Jan 2nd, all SPCN/SB100 permits are gone in about 1 hour. This leaves many hobbyists empty-handed and they wait another year , or cancel the project.

b. Limited Revenue , -- Each SPCN/SB100 application is accompanied with a list of components that make up the vehicle. The “value” of the constructed car is extrapolated from this form for registration, sales tax, etc. Since we only process 500, we have effectively “Put a cap on sales”

i. Example: Attached to my personal SPCN/SB100 application was a check for $3789.00. So in limiting this to 500 units the existing SB100 program is limiting the revenue that could be generated on this program.

Imagine if you could turn $2M revenue to $20M>? wouldn’t that make a dent in the CA - DMV budget>?

c. With a lack of existing permits , this doldrum inclines unscrupulous people to take advantage of ill prepared consumers. I have seen people with re-bodied cars or they have bought a car that should be a SPCN/SB100 , but it has a incorrectly applied “Vintage VIN number” and/or has been a victim of “title-washing”
i. With the approval of SB232, this would create a safe legal way for anyone who wanted to build a replica, to do so under guidance, vs in the shadows of legality.
ii. In my opinion, SB232 would mitigate if not stop most title washing , VIN transferring activities in the SPCN sphere .

2. Sales Tax Revenue :

a. As mentioned in 1b above, when you create a “SPCN” there is a form that you fill out, in this form you list the value of the frame, body, and major parts. With the information from this form your sales tax and registration fees are calculated. My total for fees was $3,789 , almost 4K! imagine if you multiply this by 500 units, and then with a simple change, get 10X or 50X of that number, it might fill a leak or two in the California budget.

b. When you build a car from scratch –many parts and services are not encompassed on the construction forms, as these are purchased from auto parts suppliers usually in CA. ---all of these generate sales tax revenue, and revenue for hobbyist based automotive businesses.

3. Create / Keep CA Jobs:

a. AUTOMOTIVE SHOPS: Specially constructed vehicles are generally constructed by a home based enthusiast , however there are many “Heavy-Lifting” tasks that can best be done by an CA automotive shop that specializes in fabrication, engine building , transmissions, electrical work , painting , etc. this helps those small automotive businesses in CA stay in-business with profitable work.

b. FRAME AND BODY SALES : Many CA firms specialize in providing frames, bodies, or rolling chassis to their customers, the sales of these core components is a growing business and belongs in CA, currently some are based in NV, or other places, -- which is taking away from CA jobs.

c. INSPECTIONS: With each SPCN it needs to have a “Brake & Light” inspection, this is a task for special “Gold Shield” certified shops, this leads to an uptick from 500 visits to say 2500 - 5000 visits per year to B&L certified shops.

d. SHIPPING: with the uptick in SPCN construction , large assemblies purchased from in-state and out of state vendors will require transport by heavy truck, this will show and uptick in trucking business in the transportation of these large and small goods.

4. Consumer Safety:

a. NEW or REBUILT CORE ITEMS : Since the SPCN/SB100 cars are made from either new or rebuilt core mechanical components; Engines , transmissions and brakes are usually all new or rebuilt. This carries with it a certain intrinsic value of the core items have been serviced correctly.

b. INSPECTION : Brake & Light Inspection ; SPCN/SB100 cars are better for California roadways, as when a car is certified as a SPCN it has had at least a brake & light inspection where other enthusiast cars IE: 40+ year old antiques, are not subject to this requirement.

c. NEW MATERIALS: In order to be a SPCN, the frame and body are of NEW construction. In most all cases, by sheer age of the core metal they are probably in better shape than the alternative hobbyist car, the 40+ year old antique chassis. With the increasing popularity of classic cars, many vintage cars are being imported to CA from out of state and are in a questionable condition, many of which I have seen are not road-worthy.

5. Consumer Choice : by lifting the 500 unit SB100/SPCN restriction;

a. Volume ; by allowing the SPCN/SB100 process to register more cars, the chassis vendors will be able to offer more choices and fill needs that are hard to fill now.
b. New Models :, more models will be offered from more suppliers.
c. Core Components : reduction of costs, and better components.

To Read up on SB232:

Bill: http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bil...introduced.pdf

Disclosure : I have registered my own SB100 car (the green Cobra with foglights in attached photos) in January 2009 under the existing statue. --SB 232 would open the doors so that any hobbyist who can meet the safety and construction crterium can register their vehicle at any time of year.

This would benefit many people, in many areas.

Thank you for your help in this endeavor,

With Best Regards,

Steve

PS:

Bill Originator :
Senator John Benoit
State capital Room 4066
Sacramento, Ca. 95814.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 03-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Excellent Steve! One other point that I touched on is the relatively low number of miles that the average owner puts on their Cobra during a year. The state gets all of the benefits of increased sales tax and licensing fees, and we put a few miles on our cars (early in the AM on weekends) and have virtually no impact on traffic congestion or pollution.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 03-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP241 427 S/C 482 Shelby
Not Ranked     

I just GOOGLED John Benoit, WOW!!!!!!! My confidence (or lack of confidence) in this state has been boosted. Now if there are enough like him to get 232 passed. We need to support his efforts.........Ron

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_J._Benoit - 40k

I don't know how to highlight link, sorry

Last edited by RON N BKFLD; 03-10-2009 at 04:00 PM..